You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
3EE186EA-549D-40A1-931F-E061B5E18F89 (resized).jpeg
45FE3D12-258E-4DBD-BFDC-E24C15F45ECF (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

My recently acquired Pinbot is missing segment p on the alpha numeric displays. I replaced a resistor on the display board that looked rough (even though it measured in the proper range). It has had u13 and u14 socketed in. It looked like one controlled one half of the segments and the other the other half based on the schematics. I switched them, thinking if that chip were bad it would cause another segment to go out. However still only missing segment p. I also measured the resistor in line with that chip and segment p. It measured correctly as well.

This is where my ability to trouble shoot has ended lol. I know the information for the alpha displays comes from the mpu. But I don’t know where. The mpu had some older acid but has been cleaned up and the game is functional. I’m just looking for some fresh ideas on where to go next. I want to get the game 100% functional before I shop it out. I appreciate any help

#2 5 years ago

Is the P segment out on all digits or just one digit of the alpha display?

#3 5 years ago

It’s out on all of the digits

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

It’s out on all of the digits

Lock the displays so the the P segment should be lit. Then test with a logic probe at SRC5 pin 7. You should see a high with low pulses.

#5 5 years ago

I do not have a logic probe but I have one ordered that should be here in a couple of days. I will check that as soon as it gets here. Thanks

#6 5 years ago

Ok so I’ve never used a logic probe. This is what I have so hopefully it will work. Anyone want to chime in and school me on how to use it please

45FE3D12-258E-4DBD-BFDC-E24C15F45ECF (resized).jpeg45FE3D12-258E-4DBD-BFDC-E24C15F45ECF (resized).jpeg
#7 5 years ago

Hook red lead to 5 volts, black lead to ground. Set switch to TTL. Now you are ready to test.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Lock the displays so the the P segment should be lit. Then test with a logic probe at SRC5 pin 7. You should see a high with low pulses.

#9 5 years ago

Ok so next dumb question. I go into display test and it just cycles trough the digits. How do I lock them on

#10 5 years ago

press the locking auto up/down button in the middle of the diagnostic switches

#11 5 years ago

Ok thanks. It will only lock one complete alpha digit at a time instead of the whole row but that should work right

#12 5 years ago

Ok so I am assuming that pin is on the left? If so then it lit both high and low and constantly pulsed. Did I do that correctly lol

3EE186EA-549D-40A1-931F-E061B5E18F89 (resized).jpeg3EE186EA-549D-40A1-931F-E061B5E18F89 (resized).jpeg
#13 5 years ago

Looks like the cpu is ok, now move to the master display board. Repeat test but now check U-17 pins 9 and 10.

#14 5 years ago

I tested pins 9 and 10 on u17 and the result was the same as on src5

#15 5 years ago

With the game off check R-4, should be 8.2k ohms.

#16 5 years ago

R4 reads 7.72k ohm

#17 5 years ago

R4 reads 7.72k ohm

Close enough.

Everything is pointing to a bad U-13.

#18 5 years ago

I will order that chip and report back as soon as they come in. I appreciate the help

#19 5 years ago

Here is a procedure to test it.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#20 5 years ago

Thanks. I will test it first before ordering.

1 week later
#21 5 years ago

I haven’t gotten to testing this yet. I’ve been swamped lately and it’s been cutting into my pin time. I will check it out shortly though.

2 weeks later
#22 5 years ago

I got new chips in. I replaced the u13 since it was socketed in. It instantly blew the fuse for the displays. I replaced the new chip wth the old chip and it blew the fuse again. Also now the game will not boot with ribbon cable attached to the display driver from the mpu.

#23 5 years ago

I got new chips in.

It instantly blew the fuse for the displays.

Counterfeit chip.

Also now the game will not boot with ribbon cable attached to the display driver from the mpu.

5 volt short on the display board now.

#24 5 years ago

Not sure if it's just me, but in your pic it looks like you have a battery damaged CPU board.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from PiNDoCToR:

Not sure if it's just me, but in your pic it looks like you have a battery damaged CPU board.

There was some older alkaline damage as I mentioned in the first post. It had been previously cleaned and neutralized and the game is functional minus the missing P segment on the display.

I picked up an X-pin display so I’m probably just putting this board up for the time.

3 months later
#26 4 years ago

Xpin display is installed and working?

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Xpin display is installed and working?

Yes the Xpin display looks super nice. Now if I can just finish up the mpu board... I’m ready to play it lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-alpha-displays-missing-segment-o and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.