IMG_3258 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_2422 (resized).jpg
IMG_2421 (resized).jpg
IMG_2419 (resized).jpg
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I picked up my first pinball machine a few weeks ago and it also happens to be the first pinball I ever played.

Given my love of the game, I've decided to clean her up and make her looks as good as possible.

20161031_123833_resized_1 (resized).jpg20161031_123833_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20161031_123816_resized_1 (resized).jpg20161031_123816_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20161031_123802_resized_1 (resized).jpg20161031_123802_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20161031_123826_resized (resized).jpg20161031_123826_resized (resized).jpg
20161031_123900_resized_1 (resized).jpg20161031_123900_resized_1 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

The playfield is actually in really good shape.

20161031_123842_resized_1 (resized).jpg20161031_123842_resized_1 (resized).jpg

20161031_123846_resized_1 (resized).jpg20161031_123846_resized_1 (resized).jpg

20161031_123851_resized_1 (resized).jpg20161031_123851_resized_1 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

It appears that someone broke into the machine at some point and it's missing the sub.

20161031_125651_resized_2 (resized).jpg20161031_125651_resized_2 (resized).jpg

20161031_125657_resized_1 (resized).jpg20161031_125657_resized_1 (resized).jpg

20161031_125718_resized_2 (resized).jpg20161031_125718_resized_2 (resized).jpg

20161031_130208_resized_2 (resized).jpg20161031_130208_resized_2 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Love Pinbot - it's the first game I played too. Cab is beaten up but the playfield does look good, as you said. I'm on the hunt for one, too. How much did you pay for it?

#5 7 years ago

My "Increase Energy Value" insert is hosed. It looks like there was an error in the past, causing the flashes to stay on, and it melted the insert. You can actually set a ball in the pit and it will not move.

IMG_2342 (resized).jpgIMG_2342 (resized).jpg
IMG_2341 (resized).jpgIMG_2341 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Love Pinbot - it's the first game I played too. Cab is beaten up but the playfield does look good, as you said. I'm on the hunt for one, too. How much did you pay for it?

i payed $1200 and I feel like that was a good price.

#7 7 years ago

Love my pinbot.. one of the best..

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

My "Increase Energy Value" insert is hosed. It looks like there was an error in the past, causing the flashes to stay on, and it melted the insert. You can actually set a ball in the pit and it will not move.

Op saw the response, no longer feel like being helpful overall.

#9 7 years ago

i payed $1200 and I feel like that was a good price.

glad you're happy, but in the condition I think that's too high. but at least you got it.

#10 7 years ago

Love Pinbot!

#11 7 years ago

That's too bad. The bitch of that insert is that if you could find an original insert to replace that one, the white printing can't be duplicated on a laser printer. Maybe you can sand it flat and fill in the divot with some 2-part automotive clear to at least make it more playable.

Pinbot is a classic!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from volcanodiver:

glad you're happy, but in the condition I think that's too high. but at least you got it.

Perhaps. It is all LED and came with a new vortex ramp that I haven't installed.

#13 7 years ago

I've always liked Pinbot's shrug of indifference on the side of the cab.

"Whattaya gonna do?"

#14 7 years ago

Flippers are original. I'm thinking of replacing the entire assemblies with fliptronic style.

Has anyone done this? Thoughts? Should I just do a regular rebuild kit?

Here are the preliminary parts I've put together:
Flipper kit: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=172
With the SFL 19/400 - 30/750 coil, A-12111 Coil Stop and the 03-7811 Normally Closed EOS switch.
Flipper bushings http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=270

Am I missing anything?

IMG_2387 (resized).JPGIMG_2387 (resized).JPG

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've always liked Pinbot's shrug of indifference on the side of the cab.
"Whattaya gonna do?"

lol... Yeah your ball drained right out from pop bumpers. So... What are you gonna do about it?

#16 7 years ago

Pinbots flippers kick ass .even stock.. a stock rebuild will do the trick of sloppy?

#17 7 years ago

You got a good deal. Looks like the plastics have been replaced and the playfield recently rerubbered. Swapping those plastics can be a 2-3 hour job and $140 expense

Also visit here for the pinbot fan club:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club

Mike V

#18 7 years ago

Congrats on the new pin! Pinbot is a great game and a classic system 11.

#19 7 years ago

See if PinballLife or Marco has that insert, pop it out, new one in, waterslide decal and mylar protector on top

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

You got a good deal. Looks like the plastics have been replaced and the playfield recently rerubbered. Swapping those plastics can be a 2-3 hour job and $140 expense
Also visit here for the pinbot fan club:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club
Mike V

It also has a set of plastic protectors..

#21 7 years ago

Pinbot is an all time classic that stands the test of time - enjoy!

#22 7 years ago

So I got the new vortex ramp and I noticed a problem.

The still fall is too high(about 1/8") and does not allow the ball to travel up easily. You can hear it hit pretty hard.

Does anyone have experience getting this to sit properly? I've tried bending it but can only get the edge to cooperate.

IMG_2415 (resized).jpgIMG_2415 (resized).jpg
IMG_2416 (resized).jpgIMG_2416 (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

So I got the new vortex ramp and I noticed a problem.
The still fall is too high(about 1/8") and does not allow the ball to travel up easily. You can hear it hit pretty hard.
Does anyone have experience getting this to sit properly? I've tried bending it but can only get the edge to cooperate.

Do a search for the Pinbot owners (club?) thread. This is a common issue with replacement ramps.

#24 7 years ago

So I started taking things apart for cleaning and encountered a lot os mismatched or incorrect screws & posts.

The plastics over the "Advance planet" target are not even close to level. Can someone take a similar picture of their board to confirm?
IMG_2419 (resized).jpgIMG_2419 (resized).jpg

Also, there appears to be a bunch of missing acorn nuts that have been replaced with nylon ones. Not a big deal, but it bothers me.
IMG_2421 (resized).jpgIMG_2421 (resized).jpg
IMG_2422 (resized).jpgIMG_2422 (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago

Advance planet

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#26 7 years ago

Mine uses the rubber nubs for holding down plastics. Personally, I like then as they are.easy to remove if you need to.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

Thanks for the pics. I'm looking into my mini play field issue.

Right now it's bowed from top to bottom. I believe that the screws/post in place might be incorrect. Can people upload a nice top view of their play field and any close ups of the post/screws form the side? I think I'm going to have to source a bunch of new hardware.

Thanks!

#29 7 years ago

Thanks for the pics. I'm looking into my mini play field issue.
Right now it's bowed from top to bottom. I believe that the screws/post in place might be incorrect. Can people upload a nice top view of their play field and any close ups of the post/screws form the side? I think I'm going to have to source a bunch of new hardware.
Thanks!

I know when I installed it on the one I did, it bowed in the center a little, I had to play with the screw to get them in. Like the top and bottom screws were a touch to close together. But when I started playing it, all seemed fine.
This is a site I found, that had a lot of pictures I found helpful when trying to make sure how things are supposed to go.
http://www.enteryourinitials.com/category/pinball/pinbot-williams-1985/page/6/
Not sure if this is a member here, but if so, thanks for all the great documentation.
Here is another with a lot of pictures.
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/24964-PinBot-(picture-overload-warning)?s=383a2db0dc98cdba0f068a8ca9090c7d

#30 7 years ago

there is no star post under the loewst part of the mini PF, its a post with a tapered yellow rubber
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1796&picno=21843

#31 7 years ago

Enjoy working on this one!

Some things I learned that may help you save time:

• Don't loose the damn nylon washer/bushing that goes on the end pin of the visor motor's armature - Eventually you'll probably take this apart to clean it. When you do, make sure you don't forget to put it back on the end & inside the bank or else you'll wonder why your visor is broken and wanna blame something else (like the motor itself).

• Be careful working around the visor target bank under the PF. The target wires are prone to breaking off easily. Just looking at them funny will do it. You might wanna reflow solder on them just for insurance.

• Settle with close enough with the visor set screws. You simply can't get it 100% level when closed, and it isn't even always consistent with the close position anyway. Occasionally the ball will get stuck in the gaps too.

• Test the damn bulbs under the vortex ramp BEFORE putting the ramp back in place.

• The Flash Bulbs inside the visor ARE NOT #89's. You need to replace them with #1251s. All 4 of them inside the visor area. You can get away with #89's everywhere else though (since all the others are never locked on). I think the manual calls for 1251's in other area though. They'll be brighter, so personal preference there.

• You can install LED flashers in the topper and never have to open it again, but you'll need to clip the cement resistors out of the PCB inside the top of the backbox to do it. You can just clip one side of these in case you change your mind later.

• You may want to put a very small amount of oil/grease/lube on some of the metal on metal hinges to keep them moving better, like on the visor and ramp. That helped mine with consistency a good deal. Sometimes my ramp would stay up, or the visor would suddenly pop up near the end of the bank coming up.

-

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

The Flash Bulbs inside the visor ARE NOT #89's. You need to replace them with #1251s. All 4 of them inside the visor area. You can get away with #89's everywhere else though (since all the others are never locked on). I think the manual calls for 1251's in other area though. They'll be brighter, so personal preference there.

This -- 1251 are 28V bulbs: https://www.grainger.com/product/GE-LIGHTING-Miniature-Lamp-1C995

There are six -- four in the visor and two in the backbox (behind Pinbot's face)

I have had luck replacing them with 24V BA15S LED auto bulbs (used for tail lights). Which you can find colored. E.g., ebay.com link: 2X Red 13 SMD 1156 BA15S 1459 P21W R10W 1141 S25 LED Tail signal Lights 24V

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

This -- 1251 are 28V bulbs: https://www.grainger.com/product/GE-LIGHTING-Miniature-Lamp-1C995
There are six -- four in the visor and two in the backbox (behind Pinbot's face)
I have had luck replacing them with 24V BA15S LED auto bulbs (used for tail lights). Which you can find colored. E.g., ebay.com link » 2x Red 13 Smd 1156 Ba15s 1459 P21w R10w 1141 S25 Led Tail Signal Lights 24v

i think its eight, 4 in the visor, 2 under the pf under the visor, and 2 in the backbox.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

i think its eight, 4 in the visor, 2 under the pf under the visor, and 2 in the backbox.

You are correct! I forgot abou the two under the PF.

3 weeks later
#35 7 years ago

Quick update...

Ordered some parts (bolts, screws, springs, sleeves, flipper assemblies, etc)
Ordered a new playfield & mini playfield
Picked up a rotisserie http://www.wildwood4.com/pinball-rotisserie.html

I'm set to get a bunch of stuff done. The real question is where to start?
Personally, I'm leaning towards getting the cab done first as it's the worst part of the whole machine.

#36 7 years ago

Where did you get your new playfield from? New or used?

Good luck with the restoration.

#37 7 years ago

Sweet, now you need one of the awesome mirrored real backglasses from CPR to really make it shine.
Pinbot rules, I think its an undervalued game considering everything it has going on.

#38 7 years ago

I've been looking at the LED setup and it's getting on my nerves. I'm going to rip out the blue/red GI lighting and go with white. The colored lamps really make the plastics look crappy. The only question is whether to go warm or cool white.

#39 7 years ago

Cool or warm white? Why not sunlight?

#40 7 years ago

Being a sci-fi title, I'm setup for natural cool white on mine. It will replace th red/blue setup I had.

#41 7 years ago

I went cool (natural) white on mine and think it looks great. Sunlight is very good too if you already have those on hand.

#42 7 years ago

I'm leaning towards the cool white for that crisper sci-fi feel.

When I get a chance, I'll order them. Too many other irons in the fire right now. lol

2 weeks later
#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Where did you get your new playfield from? New or used?
Good luck with the restoration.

I ordered a CPR that was never installed.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of disputing the transaction as it got lost on it's way to me. So, now I''m without a playfield and putting this on hold for now.

#44 7 years ago

Sorry to hear, I hope it gets sorted.

2 weeks later
#45 7 years ago

I had a pleasant surprise waiting for me when I got home.

IMG_3258 (resized).JPGIMG_3258 (resized).JPG

#46 7 years ago

Was it just delayed in shipping?

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Was it just delayed in shipping?

Over two months. Lost en route.

#48 7 years ago

Over two months. Lost en route.

Shipping company?

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Shipping company?

DHL

#50 7 years ago

Glad to hear it wasn't FedEx or UPS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.