• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130212_164820.jpg
20130212_164751.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Hey guys, just grabbed a set of the auto eddy sensors for my outlanes for my ToM. They are slightly larger than the original.

Has anyone had experience installing these? At this stage it only uses one of the original screw holes, bottom right if it matters? Can I just use this hole and insert three new ones or do I need to reposition it at all? (make sense?)

Please help, I have some mates coming tomorrow for a bash on this pin and I want to show off my new boards...lol.

#2 12 years ago

I would just make new ones. The screws should go right in.

#3 12 years ago

The important thing is the eddy sensor lines up where it is supposed to. Then just make new holes. No big deal as long as you don't drill/screw all the way thru the playfield.

#4 12 years ago

Yeah, thanks guys. Just used one screw at the moment which is holding the board. May do the trick in fact, will test today.

FYI: With making new holes, it looks like you need to be very careful as it will get close to the old ones. I have the feeling that one or two of the new holes may join the old and make a mess. Need to be careful otherwise you will make one big hole rending the playfield and position useless

#5 12 years ago

Did you email Martin and ask him? He always trys to build things to fit using existing screw holes. If thats impossible he'll then make and include a template or at least instructions.

Email him first martin.reynolds at gmail dot com

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Did you email Martin and ask him? He always trys to build things to fit using existing screw holes. If thats impossible he'll then make and include a template or at least instructions.
Email him first martin.reynolds at gmail dot com

Thanks for the info. Have emailed Pam to ask about them? Might of actually forgotten to tell her they are larger than the original, doh! But definatley no template or instructions.

#7 12 years ago

We just put them in a TOM if you don't have your answer by Monday I will ask my tech who worked on it

#8 12 years ago

I bought the trunk eddy replacement board and asked Martin why the size was larger. He said, quite logically, that they designed it once for multiple machines. I'm not sure which was the original it was designed to replace. If there were more of a market for the boards, they could justify multiple designs. While I wasn't crazy about putting new holes on the bottom of the playfield it really did work out just fine. It works great and I don't have to pull the glass and adjust every other day anymore.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from pinbob:

I bought the trunk eddy replacement board and asked Martin why the size was larger. He said, quite logically, that they designed it once for multiple machines. I'm not sure which was the original it was designed to replace. If there were more of a market for the boards, they could justify multiple designs. While I wasn't crazy about putting new holes on the bottom of the playfield it really did work out just fine. It works great and I don't have to pull the glass and adjust every other day anymore.

Thanks for the reply. Have sent an email to Pam to ask a few quick questions. Threw them in quickly on Sat. night attached by using just the one hole. Left works, right iffy.

Any chance if you remember, to let me know how the purple led on the board works in relation to the save. I am having trouble with the right save at the moment and when I look under the plank the led is flashing (on both from memory).

Is it supposed to be a solid colour, flashing or off?

Yet to really diagnose it as I ran out of time on the weekend but will look to test the magnets and then swap the boards around to check I don't have a faulty board.

#10 12 years ago

I have these installed in my ToM as well. The purple LEDs flash on power up, then go off. When they sense a ball, the LEDs come on solid.

CD

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from chriskd:

I have these installed in my ToM as well. The purple LEDs flash on power up, then go off. When they sense a ball, the LEDs come on solid.
CD

Perfect thanks, exactely as mine do. Have also checked the magnet and seems ok in test mode. Will have to wait till tonight when I can give it a real work over. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Thanks for the all the info guys.

As a side note, received a response from Pam @ Pinbits, needless to say her response was dull at best shame because their products and postage is perfect.

10 months later
#12 11 years ago

Page 69 of the manual.

I'll be adjusting my later as the table is informing right & left eddys have issues.

#13 11 years ago

I had the same issue with a new crate eddy board for my Scared Stiff. What I did was get a scrap piece of 1/2" wood and then drill 8 holes in it - 4 for the old screw pattern and 4 for the new screw pattern. The new board in now perfectly attached to the underside of the playfield.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

I had the same issue with a new crate eddy board for my Scared Stiff. What I did was get a scrap piece of 1/2" wood and then drill 8 holes in it - 4 for the old screw pattern and 4 for the new screw pattern. The new board in now perfectly attached to the underside of the playfield.

Photo?

#15 11 years ago

I'll take some tonight.

#16 11 years ago

I just replaced my left side board and would appreciate pictures as well. Looks like you came up with a good solution.

#17 11 years ago

Hope the pics help with the explanation.

1- Cut the scrap wood to size... large enough to accommodate the new larger Pinbits board.
2- Drill holes in the scrap wood for the screw pattern of the original eddy board. The piece of wood will be mounted to the pf using these holes.
3- Predrill holes for the new Pinbits board screw pattern.
4- Mount the piece of wood to the pf
5- Mount the Pinbits board to the "piggyback" wood.

As you can see, I used some oddball screws to mount the scrap wood to the pf. If memory serves, the original eddy board screws were too long for the thinner piece of scrap I used. These must have been the only ones I had on hand.

20130212_164751.jpg20130212_164751.jpg 20130212_164820.jpg20130212_164820.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Nice install job..

#19 11 years ago

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbits-tom-auto-eddy-sensors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.