Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ChrisS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I am in the midst of restoring my Judge Dredd and am now at the stage of replacing all of the rusted ramp flaps, with those I purchased from PinBits, using their pressless rivets. I did my first ramp yesterday and initially had a bad time getting the rivet clips onto the rivets. I had been using wood underneath to support the rivet head but realised that this was just too soft and was absorbing too much of the energy from my hammer strikes. So, I changed the support material to thick solid metal and the rivet clips were driven down onto the rivets nice and quickly.

However, what I am finding is that the ramp flap is not held nice and tight, as with factory installed rivets, and can actually be slightly moved. The flap doesn't move freely, i.e. the rivets don't feel loose it's just that they are not gripping things super tight. I suspect this is normal for these friction grip style of rivets but want to make sure before I proceed to do the other ones. So, looking for feedback from those who have used the Pinbits pressless rivets on how tightly they hold ramp flaps and if this is adequate.

Or do I need to try again!!!!

#2 11 years ago

Pressless rivets are a poor replacement for standard rivets so I would guess you're not going to do much better.

#3 11 years ago

Add another ring and tap it down on top of the other one.
There is a fine line with rivets, not tight enough and the flap moves too tight and the metal distorts.

#4 11 years ago

Yeah I've never had much luck with those pressless kits they have and finally ended up buying a rivet press.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Doot77:

Yeah I've never had much luck with those pressless kits they have and finally ended up buying a rivet press.

Ditto. Worth the money and time. All my stress went away. If you have a few machines or are really into restoring them its worth it.

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html.

Buy the kit and a harbor freight press and build one of your own and save some money. Also get the extra long dies. They are very handy

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbits-rivets-loose-or-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.