You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9684.JPG
IMG_9687.JPG
IMG_9685.JPG
IMG_9688.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sulli10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

First I do not want to take any credit for this idea. I saw the idea on Pinside in an older thread. I have been looking for a CFTBL for a while and a significant number of the ones for sale have the problem of a blue creature Hologram. I just picked up a nice original creature from my NY buddy Kevin. It had the usual hologram issues. After looking through the old threads on Holograms , one thread mentioned putting a yellow bumper cap in front of the Hologram light inside the cabinet. All you needed to learn in life is taught in Primary school I guess. The concept is simple: blue plus yellow makes green. I decided to re post this simple but effective idea as a lot of people could benefit from the concept and missed it the first time around.

Ok , I talked with Pam at pinbits. The replacement light they sell for lighting up the Hologram is a halogen cool white spot light. I asked Pam if she could also make up a yellow piece of plastic to act as a yellow filter for the spot light, which of course she did.

Since the Pinbits light is a spot light, I decided to get the replacement light physically closer to the creature Hologram. The tunnel with the original equipment light is in place to target the original light on to the Hologram and minimize lighting up the cabinet during the creatures appearance. The Pinbits spot light should not need the tunnel so out it came. I mounted the Pinbits light on the same block that the tunnel was screwed to but on the end closer to the Hologram. I left a little play in the screws so that I could adjust the spot light up /down to see if that improved the Hologram effect. This turned out to be the right thing to do as I discovered a slight upward tilt in the spot light resulted in the best representation of the creature in the play field. With only the Pinbits light, the creature could definitely be viewed with more detail and clarity then with the old original equipment. The creature was also a real pretty blue in color. A step forward but goal not achieved.

I then placed the yellow piece of plastic over the new Pinbits light ( i used a high end technique of a scotch tape hinge) and yes " blue plus yellow does equal green". Looking at me was a bright and green colored creature. Below are pictures of before the yellow lens is applied and after. The picture does not due justice to the green coloring of the hologram. It looks better in person and only costs a piece of plastic which I am sure Pinbits will happily provide for a modest fee. Different shades of yellow plastic and different spot light locations may also provide even better results. I also have a couple of pictures of the new spot light installed with the yellow plastic "in place" and also with the yellow plastic laying on top of the spot light housing. Hey for a small amount of of money it makes a big difference. Sully

The Blue creature

IMG_9688.JPGIMG_9688.JPG

The greener creature with yellow filter in place. Again looks much better in person

IMG_9684.JPGIMG_9684.JPG

PinBits spot light with yellow filter "in place"

IMG_9685.JPGIMG_9685.JPG

yellow filter laying on top of the spot light

IMG_9687.JPGIMG_9687.JPG

So give Pam a call and "green" up those Holograms

#4 9 years ago

or a yellow bulb and no filter

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.00
$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sulli10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbits-helped-green-up-my-creature-hologram?tu=sulli10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.