(Topic ID: 83914)

Pinballz is a great arcade but...

By jackd104

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-911.jpg
    image-851.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

The purpose of amusement licenses is to get you in front of the town and public for approval, not for revenue. They add in the fee to cover the "administrative costs" of doing so. Some make this fee absurdly high in order to discourage amusement devices (I've seen as high as 200/machine/year). Many towns (at least here in MA) will require that you put a public notice in the newspaper, as well as have a public hearing before you can get a license.

Lets face it - pinballs are noisy, and decades ago they attracted teenagers and loitering. I can understand the noise aspect - if I'm operating an art studio and a pinball arcade moves in next door to me, that's not really fair is it? Commercial real estate isn't normally built with soundproofing in mind.

In MA it doesn't matter if you're a retail establishment or an arcade. If you have an amusement machine that is available for the public to play, even if it's for free, then it requires a license.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

D&D not the latest. Batman de sold since

Wow. They wanted $3500 for it and it was beat pretty good. I guess mine is officially for sale at $3K then if someone wants to pay that much for them....

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from phalcon_2600:

I could be wrong, but I don't think I saw any Texas operator permits on the games. In Texas it costs about $60 for a permit for one game. So I'm thinking the games being for sale is a loop hole. If all the games are for sale then Pinballz is a showroom for potential buyers. Players are test driving games before buying them. So therefore no Texas operator permits are required. Pinballz puts stupid high prices on them so they won't sell, but so they don't have to buy permits. Is my thinking correct on this?????

I believe you are correct. In my old shop we were not allowed to display neon signs in any windows unless they were for sale. An old town ordnance. So we put price tags on them and we were ok to display them.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

D&D not the latest. Batman de sold since

I feel sorry for whoever bought that Batman DE.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballz-is-a-great-arcade-but/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.