(Topic ID: 60318)

Pinballz Arcade in Austin, TX opening new locations?

By mab487

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinhead76
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

j.j._watt.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Found this article online and thought I would pass it on if anyone is interested. There is one line in the article that reads "The Spohns are looking to open their second and third locations by the end of 2014."

Pinballz is awesome, and I think it would be a good thing to have more locations to help spread the love. Thoughts?

http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/northwest-austin/pinballz-arcade/

#2 10 years ago

A Pinballz Houston would be awesome! Joystix is crazy busy on the two Fridays per month they open up the arcade.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from jkdblaze:

A Pinballz Houston would be awesome! Joystix is crazy busy on the two Fridays per month they open up the arcade.

Seconded

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from jkdblaze:

A Pinballz Houston would be awesome! Joystix is crazy busy on the two Fridays per month they open up the arcade

+1 ...make it happen!!

#6 10 years ago

Article says it's self sufficient... that's news to me, but awesome if it's true. Not that long ago I heard they were still losing money on it.

Frankly, somewhere in D/FW would be a lot more lucrative market I would think. As stated, Houston at least has Joystix, but Dallas really has pretty much NOTHING except Nickelrama, which at best usually has 6 recent Sterns, half of them with stuff wrong enough with them you don't want to play them, unless you're lucky enough to get there right after they've had a tech out, which isn't often.

Cinemark is actually a better place to go play in Dallas than any dedicated arcade. That should tell you something about our market up here. That's completely due to the efforts of Matt, but the fact that he's been able to pull that off means to me there is a lot of room for expansion here.

#7 10 years ago

San Antonio...let's go....

#8 10 years ago

Frankly, somewhere in D/FW would be a lot more lucrative market I would think.

...And the Houston vs. Dallas war rages on!

j.j._watt.jpgj.j._watt.jpg

#9 10 years ago

^^^^is that what JJ Watt weighs, 273? Guy is a freak of nature....serious vertical for a guy that big

#10 10 years ago

That doesn't look biased or anything lol.

Besides, you can ask anyone, I'll be the first person to freely admit that I hate this city. And this state. Only thing keeping me here is money.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Only thing keeping me here is money.

And not having to shovel snow

#12 10 years ago

I view someone saying "I hate Texas" along the same line as someone saying "I hate beer."

Texas is a big, diverse place. Lots of different experiences to be had. Unfortunately, not all of them are going to be good.

#13 10 years ago

I'm not going to get lured into a politics argument and crap on this thread. There's nowhere in a state that you can go to escape STATE political decisions being made by people you didn't elect. Nuff said.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'm not going to get lured into a politics argument and crap on this thread. There's nowhere in a state that you can go to Escape STATE political decisions being made by people you didn't elect. Nuff said.

yup. but those of us that are 7th gen just go along somehow

#15 10 years ago

Let's just all agree Houston gets the second location and DFW gets the third....San Antonio is close enough to Austin that it doesn't require one. That settles it. Now just have to get the Spohns to agree.

#16 10 years ago

Agreed. Houston wins.

#17 10 years ago

If i had to make a wild guess......

I put money on a location on the south side of Austin off slaughter ln

--Jeff

#18 10 years ago

Last I heard their expansion plans are on hold, anyone in the Austin area have the latest and greatest?

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

--Jeff

As much as I hate to hear it....I beleive you may be correct Jeff. They may want to keep them all in and around Austin......those of us not in Austin just hope we get out name called when the time for expansion comes.

#20 10 years ago

They really think there's demand for 3 just in Austin? Doesn't really seem fathomable...

#21 10 years ago

I believe I saw a flyer at their place that mentioned them running a program to have pins at your business, like they would be the operator. Maybe it could be like a satellite location like a bar that would have 6 or so pins.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

--Jeff

How many cool things does Austin need? How many yachts can you guys water-ski behind? Save something for the rest of us!

#23 10 years ago

I was at Pinballz a few weeks back. The game selection was awesome. My only gripe was the number of games with issues. Some had lots of GI lights out and others were just unplayable. I still spent $60 in the place but somebody needs to do more maintenance on the machines.

Having said that, I would love to see a location in Houston...

#24 10 years ago

Little birdy told me one more Austin-ish and then later one abroad.

#25 10 years ago

Personally I am fine with just the one location here in Austin. I'd like to see them spread it out so others can have a place like pinballz close by. At least to Houston and/or Dallas, but abroad would be cool too.

Quoted from Marc:

Little birdy told me one more Austin-ish and then later one abroad.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

I still spent $60 in the place but somebody needs to do more maintenance on the machines.

You must have stayed there all day if you spent $60 bucks...

They are coming to San Antonio!

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

They are coming to San Antonio!

Is this a fact or a positive affirmation?

#28 10 years ago

I think south Austin is probably likely or maybe a smaller location near campus. It sounds crazy in this day and age, but when I was at UT there were several arcades near campus that seemed to do well. I think opening up on the drag where LE Fun used to be would do a ton of business. I used to stop in there all the time walking home from class or the library around 1997-2000. It might cannibalize their main location some, but I think limiting the size and games to the mini-Pinballz would still leave plenty of draw for the main location.

After that, who knows between Houston and Dallas. Houston has some competition with joystix, but that's only 2 nights a month. I remember them advertising at the Houston show right before they opened, and I'd love to think they have connections here that would bring one here, but Dallas seems to be just as good an option.

I know some good local commercial real estate guys here if they need some help though! Just sayin'.

#29 10 years ago

I would LOVE to see Pinballz over in Southern California!!!! But that's unlikely.

#30 10 years ago

Houston...or even better...Beaumont would rock! Joystix is almost criminally insane how busy they are on those two Friday nights. A second location would not be a problem in Houston.

#31 10 years ago

+1 for DFW!!!!

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Houston...or even better...Beaumont would rock! Joystix is almost criminally insane how busy they are on those two Friday nights. A second location would not be a problem in Houston.

I wonder why they haven't switched to every Friday night. At $15.00 a head with that large crowd, it's like they're printing money.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from jkdblaze:

I wonder why they haven't switched to every Friday night. At $15.00 a head with that large crowd, it's like they're printing money.

I wondered the same thing. Maybe Charlie doesn't want to spend every Friday in the bar...unlike me.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from jkdblaze:

I think Charles feels it is better to have it as a special event that people plan for attending than a weekly event. Also, and not to speak for Charles, he has mentioned before that he is a distributor/dealer and not an arcade. Perhaps he just doesn't want to deal with all those drunk people banging on the games every week.

Also, there could be a legal reason why he wants it as a special and not regular event - perhaps some sort of city ordinance.

#35 10 years ago

I guess he doesn't like making money hand over fist EVERY Friday.....would be pretty rough for him if Pinballz comes into town and takes a piece of the pie because he is only open twice a month. Don't think any of us would mind though

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I guess he doesn't like making money hand over fist EVERY Friday.....would be pretty rough for him if Pinballz comes into town and takes a piece of the pie because he is only open twice a month. Don't think any of us would mind though

He has got to make a sick amount of money on those two nights he does the arcade style opening. $15 a bracelet and the place is wall to wall filled with people. My guess is he has a minimum of 400 people show up and buy bracelet's (and not just hang out in the bar) at some point during those six hours of being open . . . if so, that is $6,000 just in cover charges. Not bad at all.

1 month later
    #37 10 years ago

I for one would like to see some friendly competition in Houston. Maybe bring some of those prices down so I can actually afford one

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballz-arcade-in-austin-tx-opening-new-locations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.