(Topic ID: 306531)

Pinball...What happened? Tell me your story.

By Dantesmark

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Predict your pinball future”

• Im done. 14 votes
      13%
    • Im waiting for prices to drop. 30 votes
      28%
    • Im a buyer regardless. 48 votes
      45%
    • Im selling at these prices. 14 votes
      13%

(106 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F1624849-3FE6-4A45-8AA9-DF95D9633FFE (resized).jpeg
    6 pins Feb2021 (resized).jpg
    641947D5-E654-453A-943F-F2F3110496BB (resized).jpeg
    the-fonz-happy-days-vintage-electric-pinball-machine-by-coleco-1976-americanlisted_39712389 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timboch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 2 years ago

I got hooked on pinball while in grade school in the 70s. Every Wednesday I would go with my dad to his weekly bowling league. I would watch his team bowl, organize the rental balls, bring their empty beer bottles back to the counter and sometimes I would be allowed to help score. Each week, dad gave me a dollar to spend. Usually that meant one bottle of pop for 25 cents and then the rest I spent on pinball. This was when you could play 1 game for 10 cents or 3 games for a quarter. In 1979 my mother brought me to the home of a coworker whose husband bought, fixed and sold pinball machines. He had maybe 20 or so in his garage set up for sale. He had at least that many more in his basement that he was working on. Needless to say, I left dreaming of having a pinball machine. I bugged my parents for weeks and even made a pinball machine out of my legos. About a month later, we returned to her coworkers house and we were shown a few of his new purchases. One of these was a Bally Hi Deal which he just bought and would sell "as is" for $250 and told us that it did work and he would set it up for free play, but any mechanical issues after we took it home would require us to pay. I was very excited. My dad, not so much. My mom, trying to consider this expensive toy. This was a lot of money for my parents. Needless to say, my parents made a major sacrifice for their son who was hooked on pinball. We moved the machine into the basement and played it for hours. One of my greatest memories is of how my mom and I would spend time cleaning and waxing it. Over the years it was played less and less and I often felt sad that it just sat in the basement unused. Around 2010 I asked my dad if I could move it to my house and he thought that was a good idea. This allowed me to finally change the rubbers and ball which had been in it for over 30 years. Hi Deal has worked with few issues for the last 42 years.
    Fast forward to 2015. I finished my basement to better accomdate the games I had begun to acquire and now had a dedicated game room. In early 2016 I found a Star Trek the Next Generation, my holy grail game, and after having the price shock wear off and feeling much the same as my parents way back when, bought my first pin. This led to buying a Tee'd Off and Star Wars Ep1 in 2017. In 2018 I had looked for some time for an Addams Family for my daughter who became interested in my new hobby. In 2019 I bought my No Good Gofers from my friend who I got into pinball and sold the SWEp1 to make room for my first new game. In early 2020 my Medieval Madness remake SE was delivered. My only new game. Later in 2020 after a summer of looking for an Williams Indiana Jones, one was finally found, but I needed to sell the Tee'd Off to make room. So for about a year, my lineup is complete. Each time I go downstairs to play, I try to play Hi Deal at least once in memory of my parents who allowed me to enjoy these great machines .

6 pins Feb2021 (resized).jpg6 pins Feb2021 (resized).jpg

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Great story... im guessing you will never sell the hi-deal.

Hi Deal is family. My oldest daughter will get it someday.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timboch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballwhat-happened-tell-me-your-story?tu=timboch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.