(Topic ID: 306531)

Pinball...What happened? Tell me your story.

By Dantesmark

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Predict your pinball future”

• Im done. 14 votes
      13%
    • Im waiting for prices to drop. 30 votes
      28%
    • Im a buyer regardless. 48 votes
      45%
    • Im selling at these prices. 14 votes
      13%

(106 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F1624849-3FE6-4A45-8AA9-DF95D9633FFE (resized).jpeg
    6 pins Feb2021 (resized).jpg
    641947D5-E654-453A-943F-F2F3110496BB (resized).jpeg
    the-fonz-happy-days-vintage-electric-pinball-machine-by-coleco-1976-americanlisted_39712389 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jkush18.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#78 2 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone. Definitely feeling the nostalgia vibes in this thread. I was about 7 or 8 years old when my folks picked up a nip it at an estate sale. I remember holding on to the machine as it hung out the back of the SUV. Ah the 80s! So my brother and sister and I would play nip it in the basement with all the lights off for hours as kids. I’d love to be able to get us all back together to play it someday. I played In The local pizza shop as a kid but never thought about owning a pinball until many years later in about 2008-2009. I was a special assets officer for a bank in central Illinois. One of my clients had a skating rink we were going to be forcing into liquidation. Turned out to be Gene Cunningham the owner of Illinois pinball and creator of 141 Big Bang bar capcom remakes. I hadn’t thought much about pinball until I met Gene. What a character. He showed me his collection and explained how the BBB project essentially bankrupted him. Rather than increase the price to 7k, he ate 3k per machine. Broke him literally. It was fun playing some special games he had tucked away like the prototype BBB from capcom etc. Anyways, after that experience I was hooked. Bought a road show and took it all apart. I did the worst thing you can do when buying a game. Got it off eBay on my birthday and picked up in the dark. It needed everything and she got it. Took me a year but I had the nicest road show ever. Sold it too cheap before my divorce to just get it gone. Years later I started a company doing atms and pinballs. After a forensic audit I confirmed what I thought. My partner was stealing from the biz. Turned out to be cheaper than paying an employee lol. Still tho the experience was a blast did it for three years buying and selling pins all over the country. Now I just own a few and have a few I’m fixing up. I find it relaxing to clean and fix old games getting them back to their former glory. It also helps justify the crazy prices when I’m in a few grand less than market. Just a few years ago my folks sold our childhood home and they gave me nip it which I immediately had restored by a pro. Clearcoated playfield etc the works. I hope everyone has a nice holiday and a happy new year.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

My dad had a Valley rotation 7 cocktail game when I was a kid, plus I always remember the pinball section in arcades as feeling kinda cool. Didn’t think much of pinball as a teen or in college. When we bought our first house in 2001 I thought it would be cool to have a game in the basement. Found a 1974 star pool locally on eBay for $250 and really enjoyed restoring/playing games. Currently at 9 games mixed across the eras.
    With prices this high I just don’t see value in buying sys 11 or DMD games given their depth/limitations vs modern games. But I’ve happily taken advantage of the jumps here and sold off 2 lesser games to fund a NIB and other projects.
    I will consider NIB stern games on occasion (likely a GZ premium buyer in the future). I also really enjoy early SS games, but the market is creepy up high on those too!

Call if you want to relive your youth!

F1624849-3FE6-4A45-8AA9-DF95D9633FFE (resized).jpegF1624849-3FE6-4A45-8AA9-DF95D9633FFE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jkush18.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballwhat-happened-tell-me-your-story?tu=jkush18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.