(Topic ID: 296030)

pinballtrader.us legit?

By Hungryman007

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C1B443F2-28DE-47BC-8FD3-9876C83063FC (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Hi, I have been emailing with them, and they have sent good pics & video of the machine in action. Has anyone done business with them before? Thanks.

UPDATE 7/6: I have spoke with the guy who runs the site over the phone. These machines are part of Mr. David Childress' collection. They are in 2 locations, one of which is at his publishing company http://www.adventuresunlimitedpress.com/
    I have also spoke to an employee there and confirmed machines are there. I have done the reverse Google image search on photos emailed to me from pinball trader, and they were not from another site. I have not purchased anything yet, but they seem completely legit.

#2 2 years ago

I don't even have to think about this. No, not legit.

#3 2 years ago

Not legit

#4 2 years ago

At its face, it appears to be someone's personal website. It doesn't fit the pattern of a retail scam site described here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-scam-game-seller-websites

I can't find any mention of that "pinball trader" website on the forums here.

The domain is a little older (from 2018), and actually shows some contact info in the whois listing. However, much of the content on the website appears to have been created in mid-2019, which somewhat fits the timeframe of the retail scam sites.

Additionally and most importantly, most of the images appear to be lifted from elsewhere and return lots of results in reverse image searches. Based on that alone, I would recommend avoiding it.

#6 2 years ago

Nothing suspicious to me. Prices are not cheap. Only thing I question is location. Where is he located? I sent him an email and will share his response.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Nothing suspicious to me.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

most of the images appear to be lifted from elsewhere and return lots of results in reverse image searches.

alexanr1 You need to be more skeptical. Images from elsewhere is a huge red flag.

#8 2 years ago

I think Zach said it best: if you want to know if they're legit, go to stern's website and see if they're a dealer that they list. If no, then please avoid them!

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I think Zach said it best: if you want to know if they're legit, go to stern's website and see if they're a dealer that they list. If no, then please avoid them!

The issue here is that the site isn't set up to look like a dealer, but a private or used games seller.

#10 2 years ago

Op join the local facebook buy/sell group or buy from local pinsiders.. best bet to not be questioning if something is a scam. I’d steer clear of this one

#11 2 years ago

Just because someone slaps a name up on a website doesn't mean a whole lot. I could easily put together a website using pretty much anyone's name and it would look half-way convincing.

That website literally has no links or connections to any other website on the internet. Nothing to corroborate any information that appears on it.

#12 2 years ago

If you are bothering to ask the question you already know the answer, trust your first instincts!

Lots of red flags, as Force articulated.

Beyond that, I think increasing one’s profits by stealing others’ hard work (the aforementioned images) is lazy, unethical, and just plain uncouth, and on that basis alone I would never be a customer; status as a “legitimate” dealer is irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just because someone slaps a name up on a website doesn't mean a whole lot. I could easily put together a website using pretty much anyone's name and it would look half-way convincing.
    That website literally has no links or connections to any other website on the internet. Nothing to corroborate any information that appears on it.

You can find references to him and pinball elsewhere. https://wexclub.com/ for instance. He also references his site on his Twitter account.

C1B443F2-28DE-47BC-8FD3-9876C83063FC (resized).pngC1B443F2-28DE-47BC-8FD3-9876C83063FC (resized).png

#14 2 years ago

Toss up for me on this one, hard to say. Pay via credit card and do a chargeback if you get scammed.

#15 2 years ago

DennisDodel could shed some light on the Pinball trader name.
    .................David Marston

#16 2 years ago

If you are new to pinball, best to purchase machines from local collectors. If you are experienced, best to buy from local collectors. For NIB, buy from registered dealer. Note there is no point where anyone would buy and cross their fingers through random websites/ebay where your chance of getting scammed is above 95%. To consider it is to completely misunderstand this hobby and its risks.

#17 2 years ago

If he is as into pinball as the website suggests someone on pinside would know him, have dealt with him, came across him at a show - something . If no one on here is aware of this site I’d steer clear.

#18 2 years ago

Can he explain why he used stolen images?

#19 2 years ago

Maybe someone on the UFO thread knows him, or has bumped into him at Alien Con. Love that name!

Seriously though, seems like a guy (who just happens to make a career peddling ancient UFOs) who put up a site to personally buy/sell his own pins.

He is in several photos with the pins…but I’ll agree the site seems a bit odd…no bargains anyways.

#20 2 years ago

I think some of the one-post wonders are part of the scam since this happens so often.

#21 2 years ago

Thank you all for the overwhelming feedback. Yes, this would be my first pin, so I'm learning a ton. Its time to cool my jets on finding a GB. Guess I will have to wait for a Vault version someday.

Communication with pinballtrader.us has definitely not been reassuring, and I agree that it belongs on the DO NOT BUY FROM list.

Added over 3 years ago:

UPDATE BELOW!!!

Added over 3 years ago:

Original post has most recent update!

#22 2 years ago

Pinball is an awesome hobby and you will get the game you want... in time.

This hobby takes time. Even brand new machines often take months to be delivered even if you order today. Partly because the pinball market has literally caught fire since covid. Crazy demand and low supply even for new machines.

Now older machines generally require even more patience. Even with unlimited cash, you still have to do your research and get connected with collectors and this takes some time.

We often wait for months and more like years before we get our dream games from the past. It’s not really a finger-snappers hobby.

Next step is to get connected with local collector scene. You’re in luck! Seattle has one of the strongest pinball scenes in the world. Chillax, play some pinball locally, attend some shows, meet some collectors and enjoy the journey. They’ll tell you about the slings on the premium you would have bought. And you might even find that GB is the last game you want after you see what else is out there. Good luck.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hungryman007:

Thank you all for the overwhelming feedback. Yes, this would be my first pin, so I'm learning a ton. Its time to cool my jets on finding a GB. Guess I will have to wait for a Vault version someday.
    Communication with pinballtrader.us has definitely not been reassuring, and I agree that it belongs on the DO NOT BUY FROM list.

GB do come up every now and then - be patient - but they do cost a fair amount compared to other games, its on a lot of people's wishlists.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hungryman007:

Do not buy unseen in person, especially your first. Buy in person, and if you can't find your title be flexible for your first pin. You have a lot of learning ahead of you.

#25 2 years ago

Looking for the pro or premium GB?

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Looking for the pro or premium GB?

Either will work, with a slight preference for a Premium.

UPDATE: David Childress emailed me, and gave me contact info for his company http://www.adventuresunlimitedpress.com/
    I spoke with a nice lady there and she confirmed what Mr. Childress told me in his email. I should be able to talk to the guy running pinballtrader.us tomorrow, hopefully.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballtraderus-legit?hl=bud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.