image-92.jpg
image.jpg
TH 8.jpg
TH 7.jpg
TH 6.jpg
TH 5.jpg
TH 4.jpg
TH 3.jpg
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 9 years ago

I got to put a good amt of plays on it yesterday the code is coming along would like to possibly see a little more stoppage of the ball when you start a mode as of right now seemed like the mode just started and was hard to tell when you are in a mode, but it still was prototype code

#52 9 years ago

Anyone take photos WITHOUT a filter? There's one photo where the colors POP and look amazing, the other's all look like they have a filter that's washing everything out. Game looks awesome. Battling Orcs is so freaking cool and is what the movie is all about. Also, if you don't like the theme, how's that possible? LOTR is epic!

#54 9 years ago

Thanks Jeff

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Anyone take photos WITHOUT a filter? There's one photo where the colors POP and look amazing, the other's all look like they have a filter that's washing everything out.

hobbit-upper-playfield-POV.jpghobbit-upper-playfield-POV.jpg

hobbit-lower-playfield-POV.jpghobbit-lower-playfield-POV.jpg

Taken with the glass on, no tripod, during the only brief moment the machine wasn't being played.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That's a sweet looking place
Thanks for the photos

Yea, the place looks really cool...

#57 9 years ago

Everything on TH looks well integrated so far .. which shows JJP has paid a lot of attention to detail on this one, probably more than WOZ. Wide-open playfield is going to make this a fun game, especially for for those who prefer a shooter style game. LCD video looks like it could really tie the room together and is polished. TH has the potential to change what you expect of a pinball machine. Final coding will tell, but I am optimistic about TH being a Top10 pin - if you can't tell.

#58 9 years ago

It certainly looks like it is going to be fun to flip, I just wish I could have gotten in on it. No way though, it's a little more than what I am comfortable paying. That and I'm just not in a possition to buy any pin right now for that matter.

#59 9 years ago

The one that was there had the protecter that jack sells on the playfield

#60 9 years ago

Can somebody please make a Cliffy (I'm looking at YOU, Cliffy...) for that VUK hole in the Bag End area? That looks like the wood is going to get beat to shit within a week. It hurts just looking at it.

#61 9 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks the game looks beautiful with the exception of those axe plastics sticking out of the slingshots? I REALLY hope those get a makeover or are removed completely.
Looks like a Fisher-Price steering wheel on a Ferrari.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Am I the only one who thinks the game looks beautiful with the exception of those axe plastics sticking out of the slingshots? I REALLY hope those get a makeover or are removed completely.
Looks like a Fisher-Price steering wheel on a Ferrari.

Agree, the axes could use a little work, maybe less square looking and more rounded.

#63 9 years ago

The Mezels are working on it.

#64 9 years ago

Yeah I concur on the axes

#65 9 years ago

The axes really are ugly and just need to be gone.. first thing I'll do when I get mine is take them off the playfield!

#66 9 years ago

Thanks Jeff for posting the videos and those that shared their feedback. And awesome that Mezels is working on mods already!!

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Thanks Jeff for posting the videos and those that shared their feedback. And awesome that Mezels is working on mods already!!

Full disclosure: I was just talking shit. I know nothing. But I'm sure they'll be all over it when the game comes out.

#68 9 years ago

Thanks for the video Jeff.. I really think that JJP should remove the rotating take out service sign from the playfield
Seriously though this game needs invisiglass!

#69 9 years ago

The axes were on Jack's list along with teet for Smaug to get updated. The teeth have been added, hopefully the axes haven't had their update yet. I don't mind them being there personally, they just appear to be proportionally oversized.

#70 9 years ago

a

Quoted from Concretehardt:I really think that JJP should remove the rotating take out service sign

Ha. Yes, I didn't notice the reflection when I was taking the video (too focused on the game). Didn't post this version originally because of that. But, since no one else had posted a video yet, thought I'd go ahead. It's from a different angle than the first, so that's probably a plus. The lighting in the space wasn't exactly ideal unfortunately. There was a huge tube light directly overhead that made it hard to see the lower playfield while playing at points. But if that was the worst thing we dealt with, I'd say it was a pretty good setup.

#71 9 years ago

Looks awesome. Congrats to jjp four producing a killer game.

#72 9 years ago

I had a great time yesterday! Got to talk with Joe for quite a bit. Met Jersey Jack. Said hello to Jimmy and a bunch of other collectors from the surrounding areas. Had some GREAT pulled pork sandwiches!!

Hobbit is a great achievement in my opinion! Really nice game, even at the prototype stage. I think JJP should be congratulated for what they have accomplished with WOZ and TH. Both games, while different, are a blast to play and have (to me at least) an unmistakeable feel of QUALITY. Nothing cheap or shortcutted. Playfields are full of toys, special effects; both games have excellent sounds and animations. Reminds me of the glory days of Bally Williams pinball before cost cutting forced too many concessions in the name of lower cost.

Others may disagree, but I am suitably impressed. The only problems I have right now are whether I can justify dropping $8k or so on a new pinball, and if I do, whether it should be WOZ, TH, or MMr. They ALL look great!

#73 9 years ago

Hi everyone. Bad cell reception in building and even outside at OSW made for the delay of pics and vids. I do have a few more ill post later. Driving home now as we stayed over so ty for patience. Was having a good time with everyone I took what I could when I could without disturbing people while thst were playing. I'll give my full (honest) review as well. Obviously I love the game.
Joe

#74 9 years ago

I spent the majority of the afternoon at PinballSTAR’s event yesterday (nice work outta’ you, Joe!) and played 20+ games on Hobbit. In fact, I and two friends played the game non-stop for the last 90 minutes or so of the party once the majority of folks cleared out. Here is my one word review of the pin: majestic. While I don’t have any video footage to share, I must say that this is a pinball you must experience in person. Videos simply do not do Hobbit justice. The music, callouts and sound effects are mesmerizing and immerse the player in the game. The graphics, animation and video footage on the LCD screen are crystal clear and perfectly integrated with the gameplay. I’ve been “in” on the Hobbit for well over one year, and have watched every video, and read every thread. Like many of you, I was quite unimpressed with the game that was unveiled at Expo. I can honestly say that what I experienced yesterday shattered every expectation I’ve had for this game. Before playing the game in person and simply watching short videos, the shots looked long, the gameplay slow and the fun factor seemed “meh.” Having spent (literally) hours on the machine, I can say with grave and level voice that I could not have been more wrong. The game was the epitome of fun! It was frenetically paced and the shots were very rewarding. This is a true shooter’s game with A LOT to do and hit. The sounds are the best I’ve heard on a pinball. Ever. And the lightshow? I can only use the superlative to describe it. Anyone who preordered this game will be ecstatic with the finished product; know that you will not be disappointed. To me, a fun pinball is one where the moment the game ends, I can’t wait to play another. And with Hobbit, even after all those games….I didn’t want to stop playing!

#75 9 years ago

Thanks for a great review Cap'n!

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

Great time today. Thanks to Joe, Jack, and others that helped make it possible.
» YouTube video

Just watched video again and wanted to savor it so I noticed I could set resolution to 1080 and speed at 1/2. Watching in high def but slow motion and sounds are slower too of course. It makes for quite a trip without dropping acid.

#77 9 years ago

In the video, is that the red or gold Smaug head?

#78 9 years ago

Thanks for the great review, Captain. Sorry I wasn't able to make it out there and meet you! Your review (coupled with the other Pinsider no longer selling his machine) is making me feel MUCH better about getting a Hobbit.

#79 9 years ago

Great review thank you!

#80 9 years ago

Not trying to be a jackass, but am i missing something here? Are there only a total of 2 videos (combined 125 secs) posted from the entire party??

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

In the video, is that the red or gold Smaug head?

Gold.

Gold head was at the party.

#82 9 years ago

The artwork was the Rad-Cal Smaug decals, the Smaug figure was gold, the trim was the bronze LE...

#83 9 years ago

Can anyone comment on what are some of the pinball related callouts currently in the game? I remember someone from JJP saying right after Expo that they were looking for a great Gandalf sound-alike.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

It certainly looks like it is going to be fun to flip, I just wish I could have gotten in on it. No way though, it's a little more than what I am comfortable paying. That and I'm just not in a possition to buy any pin right now for that matter.

I'll bet you could buy one on a payment plan from one of the distributors. They deliver when it it is available but you start paying $400 and $400 a month til paid off and no interest. Can't guarantee those terms but there is bound to be some financing options available. But if you can't get one, that's fine. My mistake for trying to corrupt one of our youth. Most people would suggest don't buy any pinball machine on credit - so that also would indicate this would not have been a good idea for you.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Not trying to be a jackass, but am i missing something here? Are there only a total of 2 videos (combined 125 secs) posted from the entire party??

Yes, a dick move, I know. When my friend and I were driving to the event from Philly, both of us pledged to shoot extensive footage of Hobbit. Like you, we’ve been wanting more than the dearth of video coverage captured from other reveals. By the end of the day, we probably had two minutes of video footage and a few still shots of the playfield. Say sorry. All I can say is this: seeing that game in person (green columns, Smaug with teeth, final sculpts on all pop-ups, vibrant display, piercing sounds) is like hearing the song of the sirens. We were incapable of multitasking. Really. I think Joe has some video clips though.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Can anyone comment on what are some of the pinball related callouts currently in the game? I remember someone from JJP saying right after Expo that they were looking for a great Gandalf sound-alike.

Wish I had more specifics to share on the callouts, Panzer. I can say this: Jack mentioned the code is, at most, 50% complete. Likely less. From all the video footage I watched previously, the game I played yesterday seemed to have far more texture and complexity. I recall hearing short quips from all of the characters during my myriad of plays. Smaug was particularly impressive. First, the voice quality and callout integration were flawlessly executed (“My teeth are swords, my claws are spears!”) as you lock balls en route to a multiball while feeling faint rumblings from the shaker motor. We also played several games without hearing from Smaug at all which made us eagerly anticipate his arrival. This Smaug had teeth (looked fantastic); the production version will have yellow LED eyes. The mouth and movements were in perfect sync with the audio. And the pop-ups (Warg, Goblin, Orc and Spider) were VERY fun to bash. The animations and sound effects that registered when the targets were hit were more than satisfying. And after hitting a few in succession, total frenzy ensued via a two-ball mutliball. Honestly, I cannot be effusive enough in my praise of this awesome display of technology. When the code in this game is finished, it might be the greatest pin ever. Even better than Indy (and I didn't think I would ever type that). Seeing and playing this pin in person will assuage any fears you have of getting this game. Worth the wait, boys.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Seeing and playing this pin in person will assuage any fears you have of getting this game. Worth the wait, boys.

Great to hear. I am trying not to get too eager. Still more waiting ahead, I know.

#87 9 years ago

Yes, a dick move, I know. When my friend and I were driving to the event from Philly, both of us pledged to shoot extensive footage of Hobbit. Like you, we’ve been wanting more than the dearth of video coverage captured from other reveals. By the end of the day, we probably had two minutes of video footage and a few still shots of the playfield. Say sorry. All I can say is this: seeing that game in person (green columns, Smaug with teeth, final sculpts on all pop-ups, vibrant display, piercing sounds) is like hearing the song of the sirens. We were incapable of multitasking. Really. I think Joe has some video clips though.

Just want to be clear that any and all vids, pics, and reports back are much appreciated! Just a little surprised there wasn't a bit more on this thread. Great to hear you had a fantastic time.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

The artwork was the Rad-Cal Smaug decals, the Smaug figure was gold, the trim was the bronze LE...

I stand by my assertion that the bronze trim still looks better. Looks like the wireforms were still gold, though, unless that was just the lighting.

#89 9 years ago

Come on Allentown. Hurry. Lol

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I stand by my assertion that the bronze trim still looks better. Looks like the wireforms were still gold, though, unless that was just the lighting.

I'm getting the Smaug edition, but I also like the Bronze trim better. Both look good but if I could get my Smaug edition in Bronze I would.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yes, Randy... The wireforms were gold I am quite sure - I forgot that one...

#92 9 years ago

Smaug was particularly impressive. First, the voice quality and callout integration were flawlessly executed (“My teeth are swords, my claws are spears!”) as you lock balls en route to a multiball while feeling faint rumblings from the shaker motor. We also played several games without hearing from Smaug at all which made us eagerly anticipate his arrival. This Smaug had teeth (looked fantastic); the production version will have yellow LED eyes. The mouth and movements were in perfect sync with the audio.

No surpise - don't forget this...
The genius innovation of programming Rudy's talking head into Funhouse = Ted Estes
Smaug = again, Ted Estes...

And how about Designer Pat Lawlor and his re-united team of Programmer Ted Estes, Artist John Youssi, and Sound Master David Thiel together again for JJP#3 - the bar is only going to continue to be raised at JJP...

#93 9 years ago

wish i could have made it

#95 9 years ago

// Error: Image 375506 not found //Sorry having problems downloading pics!

They come up on the preview, but not when it's posted?

#96 9 years ago

This is gonna be the best new pin of 2015. MMR isn't new, so doesn't really count and TBL is sweet, but I'm thinking Hobbit will edge out TBL by a hair. Who knows if Pred / JPOP will ship. Hope so.

#97 9 years ago

I've seen TH, but have vowed not to play it until it's in my house. And that's a good thing, I think, because as the code has evolved, the feedback has gotten progressively more positive. It went from being a disappointment, to an okay game, and now we have a good game that seems destined for greatness. I'm sure my patience will be rewarded.

#98 9 years ago

Thanks Joe, Jimmy and Jack for having such a wonderful event. I felt like a real VIP with such an intimate setting. Jack was so accessible and so excited to show off his creation and truly made me a believer.

I spent the majority of the afternoon at PinballSTAR’s event yesterday (nice work outta’ you, Joe!) and played 20+ games on Hobbit. In fact, I and two friends played the game non-stop for the last 90 minutes or so of the party once the majority of folks cleared out. Here is my one word review of the pin: majestic. While I don’t have any video footage to share, I must say that this is a pinball you must experience in person. Videos simply do not do Hobbit justice. I’ve been “in” on the Hobbit for well over one year, and have watched every video, and read every thread. Like many of you, I was quite unimpressed with the game that was unveiled at Expo. I can honestly say that what I experienced yesterday shattered every expectation I’ve had for this game. Before playing the game in person and simply watching short videos, the shots looked long, the gameplay slow and the fun factor seemed “meh.” Having spent (literally) hours on the machine, I can say with grave and level voice that I could not have been more wrong. The game was the epitome of fun! Anyone who preordered this game will be ecstatic with the finished product; know that you will not be disappointed. To me, a fun pinball is one where the moment the game ends, I can’t wait to play another. And with Hobbit, even after all those games….I didn’t want to stop playing!

AMEN Brother!!! I and Captain drove up together discussing whether or not to keep TH. What we were going to do with the money... what other pins would we buy with the refunds or maybe we just roll the funds over for PL's game and play it safe. I was very critical and outspoken towards the game after Expo. I won't get into how I feel or what I think because my buddy summed up our experience eloquently and truthfully. I went there with every intension to roll my money over to Pats game. Now I wouldn't let it go for anything!!! This experience turned me from Saul to Paul and I've put my fingers into the hands of JJP and will no longer doubt the vision that TH is heading in.

Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Just want to be clear that any and all vids, pics, and reports back are much appreciated! Just a little surprised there wasn't a bit more on this thread. Great to hear you had a fantastic time.

I was charging my phone the whole way up on a broken charger

Here is what I have...
TH 1.jpgTH 1.jpgTH 2.jpgTH 2.jpgTH 3.jpgTH 3.jpgTH 4.jpgTH 4.jpgTH 5.jpgTH 5.jpgTH 6.jpgTH 6.jpgTH 7.jpgTH 7.jpg

Quoted from Skyemont:

Come on Allentown. Hurry. Lol

I think Ivan would agree!
TH 8.jpgTH 8.jpg

#99 9 years ago

Any video of Smaug actually talking?

#100 9 years ago

The game looks great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstar-hobbit-party-report-pics-video/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.