Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by cottonm4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 months ago

Can someone tell me why the pinball in my 1974 Super Soccer em wears out faster than my other games? Could it be because or the two kickout holes or maybe the metal spinners. I've never seen balls get so beat up in such a short time.

Thank you,
Tom

#2 6 months ago

It very well could be the kick out holes. It could also be where the machine is placed. If it's in a damp basement they will wear much faster. I also find the pins closer to my washer and dryer wear out quicker than the pins in the next room over.

#3 6 months ago

Try rubbing your finger gently across curved top arch metal piece where the ball hugs and rides for smoothness to see if there might be some abrasivness. Be extra careful not to cut your finger from jagged edges etc.

I always removed this 4 piece metal top arch and sand the edges with fine sand paper and follow with steel wool and of course clean/polish these pieces. Also inspect playfield for any metal exposure that might not be normal...

#4 6 months ago

The old Gottlieb playfields tend to mark up balls faster I have found.

What is the absolute "best" plain pinBALL?
Carbon steels sure are not it.

#5 6 months ago

Could be the ball ejector in the outhole, too.

#6 6 months ago

Just think how the plastic balls in the head feel. All they ever get is a steel-toed boot.

#7 6 months ago

I'm shopping a "Bowling Queen" and I'm amazed at how peened the front edge of the runway bridge is. It's like the ball is hopping up in the runway (AKA "shooter lane") and routinely smashing into the metal bridge near the top. I had to grind the edge off on my bench grinder and will re-install it the other way around. This can't be good for the surface of the ball. I just don't know how this happens!
BTW, this, and most other games I've acquired lately was high-tapped. This particular one was in home use for the last thirty years. I suspect it's been high-tapped for much of that time. I tore down the 0-9 unit, and found that it had quite a bit of wear on the ratchet wheel, and the coil stop was heavily peened and the stud was broken off. This is why I'm such a detractor of needlessly high-tapping games. If you want faster game play, go ahead and install hot coils, bridge rectifiers or whatever. But don't needless stress non-gameplay components by jacking up the voltage on them! They WILL wear faster!

2 weeks later
#8 5 months ago

I will check out all these areas and see what I find.
Thank you all for your responses!

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from PinballTom113:

I will check out all these areas and see what I find.
Thank you all for your responses!

Any area where the ball touches sharp metal is suspect. Is there a metal strip ball guide with sharp edge that the ball crashes into? What about the two sharp edges at the apron exit point? Can the ball crash into the sharp edges on the apron exit point?

A couple of my pins have a thin metal ball guide strip at the end of the shooter lane. On one pin, the ball was staying nice and shiny. On the other pin, the ball was a nicked up mess. The reason: On one of the pins, the ball guide was tucked in behind the shooter rail and the ball left the shooter lane cleanly.

On the other pin, the ball guide was sticking out from behind the shooter rail. As a result, on every shot, the ball collided with the guide that was sticking out and in the ball's way. That ball guide's sharp edge just destroyed that ball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 305.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
$ 29.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 209.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside