Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dr_nybble
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-573.jpg
    image-88.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Never seen this before...

I noticed that one of the balls in the Star Trek (Stern) that I was servicing was pitted like a golf ball - a grid of so many flat spots that it looked like it would stop rolling and come to rest on them.

So I swapped that one out for a new ball.

A few days later, I go to check on it and all the balls are dark. Not dirty exactly, but like how silver would get if you hadn't polished it in a while. All four balls were suddenly like this, after 3 months of looking nice and shiny.

What gives?

#2 9 years ago

Bad balls ?

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Never seen that so these are just guesses. Reaction between two different types of metal. A coating on the new ball that transferred/reacted on the old balls.

#4 9 years ago

Photos?

#5 9 years ago

Dirty subways, ball trough, VUKs, etc?

#6 9 years ago

grease residue or some black lubricant on metal parts?

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

Never seen that so these are just guesses. Reaction between two different types of metal. A coating on the new ball that transferred/reacted on the old balls.

I like this theory.

The problem with the other ideas proposed is that the balls have been clean looking for months, and the only thing that changed was one single ball. I hadn't done any other maintenance recently, and had re-rubbered (with black) several weeks ago.

Will get a pic tonight if I can. I guess it's not a big deal - I'll just add some balls to my next order and replace them all.

#8 9 years ago

Your machine is possessed!!

#9 9 years ago

Maybe too much of some chemical in the new rubber reacted with the balls?

#10 9 years ago

Let's get back to your original post.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

pitted like a golf ball - a grid of so many flat spots that it looked like it would stop rolling

Maybe that's a clue. Why did THAT happen?

Do you have a short on the playfield/chase/trough that's putting electricity across the ball. Might be electrolysis.
    faz

#11 9 years ago

Okay here are the balls in question. I guess they weren't entirely black, but spotted black all over.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I added in the old one I removed. See how pitted it is? (Actually, no, I just looked at this on a larger screen and the photo is too blurry, but I'll leave it anyway). This isn't my machine and I hear so much about the crappy stock balls that Stern uses.

image-88.jpgimage-88.jpg

And apparently it was just greasy dirt that could be rubbed off?!?

image-573.jpgimage-573.jpg

I guess maybe this is a non-event, but I'm confused why it happened suddenly (and not at any time in the past 3 months that the machine has been in my care).

Tonight I look over at the TWD next to it - same thing happening to those balls!

#12 9 years ago

Did the moisture of the space change? Rust?

That's got to be sanding the playfield...
    faz

#13 9 years ago

What type of room is the pin in? Unconditioned space with temporary heat can cause condensation on metal which could cause random rusting like it appears are on those balls.

And yes, stock Stern balls are crap. I had several in my AVLE that had areas of flat spots like you mentioned. I swapped them out quickly!

#14 9 years ago

In my opinion, you got some rusty balls there. I have a game that sat in a hallway outside a pool/spa area. The moisture in the air was enough to rust the balls and they looked just like that.

#15 9 years ago

What does the rest of the metal inside the game (ball guides, sling arms, ball trough, mech brackets, etc) look like? Are those rusted as well or just the pinballs?

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

In my opinion, you got some rusty balls there. I have a game that sat in a hallway outside a pool/spa area. The moisture in the air was enough to rust the balls and they looked just like that.

So...the games are in a bar, in a room right off the dancefloor. I was there recently late on a Saturday, and the fog machine (meant for the dancers) had also filled the pinball room.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

What does the rest of the metal inside the game (ball guides, sling arms, ball trough, mech brackets, etc) look like? Are those rusted as well or just the pinballs?

No, nothing else affected.

I've seen rusty balls before. This wasn't exactly rust...it felt more gooey than gritty.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

and the fog machine (meant for the dancers) had also filled the pinball room.

This is most likely causing the issue, vaporized mineral oils...

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

So...the games are in a bar, in a room right off the dancefloor. I was there recently late on a Saturday, and the fog machine (meant for the dancers) had also filled the pinball room.

There ya go!

#20 9 years ago

This could have been caused by the said "dancers". Maybe we need a pic of them just to be sure.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from ranchdrsn:

This is most likely causing the issue, vaporized mineral oils...

I'm going to go ahead and assume this is bad for the machines as a whole?

#22 9 years ago

thats pretty wild, cant imagine any vapor moisture or fog is good....

#23 9 years ago

keep thinking the tread title would have been better as "balls turned black"

I mean we all know it woudl be pinballs but much more entertaining as we waited for the photo evidence...

I think the fog machine is to blame in this case, esp if the rest of the game is not getting extra dirty like this.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I'm going to go ahead and assume this is bad for the machines as a whole?

I'd assume the same. If it's rusting the balls its just a matter of time before it starts rusting other things. How much fog is going in the pinball room? It's got to be a lot I would imagine. Is there a door that can be closed to keep most of the fog out? Also, I vote for a pic of the dancers as well.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

I'd assume the same. If it's rusting the balls its just a matter of time before it starts rusting other things. How much fog is going in the pinball room? It's got to be a lot I would imagine. Is there a door that can be closed to keep most of the fog out? Also, I vote for a pic of the dancers as well.

There is a lot of fog in there. The first time I was there late soldering, I suddenly realize that I had set the room on fire. Nope, fog machine. I'm actually not sure where the machine is, but the pinball room is like 5 feet from the dance floor (but around a corner through a double doorway with no doors on it).

Maybe curtains? Will talk to them about it today.

By "dancers"...it's not what you are all thinking. It sounded better than "local citizens moving their bodies in time with the music".

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

By "dancers"...it's not what you are all thinking. It sounded better than "local citizens moving their bodies in time with the music".

LOL.... You post the pics, I'll be the judge.....

That sounds terrible for the machine. I can imagine the moisture seaping into the exposed wood on the side of the playfield.

#27 9 years ago

There have been fog machines in bars since the 70s.

I'd take one of those new rubbers and wrap it around a ball for a few weeks and see what happens.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

No, nothing else affected.
    I've seen rusty balls before. This wasn't exactly rust...it felt more gooey than gritty.

I would think the fog oil is collecting on them and that is attracting the black dust from the coils to turn into a black gummy mess. It's probably getting into other moving parts also. This has to have something to do with that environment rather than the balls.

#29 9 years ago

Interestingly, I talked to another operator tonight that said he had the exact same issue with his Superman which was not exposed to any fog machines.

I'm exploring all avenues. Will report back!

#30 9 years ago

**News Flash**

Aliens from Uranus Invade Earth

Microbe sized aliens from Uranus attracted to all metal.

<insert "clingon" joke here>

faz

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from ranchdrsn:

I would think the fog oil is collecting on them and that is attracting the black dust from the coils to turn into a black gummy mess. It's probably getting into other moving parts also. This has to have something to do with that environment rather than the balls.

Either that or the protecting oil wasn't removed properly before installation with the same effect.

#32 9 years ago

Protecting oil?

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Protecting oil?

Balls come covered in a film of oil to prevent them from rusting. This needs wiping off before installation.

#34 9 years ago

If the black material is wiping off the balls, then the try ditching the black rubber in the game and switch to white.

#35 9 years ago

Definitely replace them, Once they go black, they never turn back.

#36 9 years ago

I bought some new balls for my Monopoly and saw the same residue develop on them. I replaced them with SilverJet pinballs and the issue went away.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballs-turned-black and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.