• 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20131129_181051_797.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iluvak9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 9 years ago

Rather than focusing on particular games, I've thrown a lot of parties over the years and have averaged about 15 or more games available at each party and I've noticed some general patterns in terms of what games are less friendly for inexperienced pinball players, especially if one ignores the lure of specific themes:

(1) If the game has more than two flippers (it is hard enough for inexperienced players to deal with two flippers).

(2) Similar to above, if the game has an upper flipper and requires a cross-playfield shot, inexperienced players will generally ignore the upper flipper - this will lead to frustration as the upper flipper is often required to do well in games or necessary to prevent frequent ball drains.

(3) If the game has more than one cabinet button on each side that are a key element of game play(e.g., Shadow ramp diverter buttons, Black Knight magna save buttons, Dungeons and Dragons outlane blocker buttons). Inexperienced players are nervous enough dealing with one button on each side. One exception might be WCS with extra button for magna save - novices just ignore it and that doesn't really matter to much in the case of this particular game.

(4) If game does real, physical "lock" of balls and the game does not make it obvious or clear that a ball has been locked and a new ball has been served to the plunger. I've seen novice players sit there and look for the ball that has been locked for a few minutes and then just give up and walk away without realizing a different ball is in plunger lane.

(5) Novices love seeing cool toys as long as it isn't too hard to understand what they do or how they integrate with play (e.g., if the glove in JM happens to be working, good luck trying to explain to a novice pinball player how to use it and why they even care - similar issue with crane in DM and many other interactive toys - probably reason why most frequent interactive toys in pinball machines are bash the toy ones).

(6) If the game has features that require using something other than the cabinet buttons after ball is plunged (e.g., HS II Shifter, plunger switch becoming Gun Shooter as in STTNG/ DH).

Note that there are exceptions to these rules, for example, when theme is a big lure to game (I've had to teach numerous people how to use the gun in DH because they saw this game and just had to play it due to theme - luckily, I can make sure they choose to shoot the gun with skill shot choice and can show them right away how to shoot gun - similary, I'd have folks choose the skill shot in STTNG that loads the gun on first game, first ball for same reason). However, sometimes rules closely linked to game themes can be a turnoff. Take for example, the first step in Dr. Who - I've seen folks walk away from that game before they even start because they are asked to make the choice between doctors. A novice pinball player's fear of playing just gets reinforced by facing right at the start a decision choice that totally confuses and scares them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iluvak9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballs-that-are-non-pinhead-friendly?tu=iluvak9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.