Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0433_(resized).jpg
IMAG2130_(resized).jpg
IMAG2129_(resized).jpg
IMAG3999_(resized).jpg
IMAG0439_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I have a condo in Arlington Tx (Dallas/Ft Worth) that I bought 5 years ago to use for business and to go to Rangers Baseball and Dallas Cowboy games... I have shut down my business a few months ago and I'm not using it much now. I can use the money so I have decided to turn it into a vacation rental....

I have 3 really nice pins in the living room, Twilight Zone, Tron, and a Simpsons Pinball Party.... All are nice pins with LED and Mods...also have 3 arcade games (Out-Run, Clutch Hitter, Marble Madness)....I worry that someone will abuse them and thought about pulling them out but I haven't got room at home, Enjoy them when I use the Condo, and I'm thinking it will get renters attention when they see the games in the pics and who would not want to play some pinball on vacation?? Also got the arcades and a shuffleboard table with a big 70 flat over it in the living room... the whole living room/kitchen is just a big arcade...HA. Then it has two bedrooms upstairs and a roof patio.

Anyway was wondering if anyone has had any experience owning or renting a Vacation Rental with Pinballs and games...

IMAG0439_(resized).jpgIMAG0439_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

We have a house in the north Georgia mountains we rent when we are not there. We use it a lot, at least once a month and most major holidays. It is pretty high end for the area and we use a great management company that screens the customers and does a good job of identifying issues immediately. It is rented about 80% of the available days.

I have a pool table, mame cocktail and a cocktail pin. I have not had any issues with these in the house.

With that said I would remove all of your nice pins and decorations. I am continually amazed at how stupid and inconsiderate renters are. I look at some things and can't figure out how it got broken or scratched or stolen. It's always the little things but it doesn't irritate me any less.

We bought the house fully furnished so I have no attachment to the furniture and stuff so to me it is just economics. Since I make so much money renting it I don't mind the replacements and repairs.

If you like your machines and furnishings you will hate renting.

Either remove the good stuff and rent it for vacation stays or leave it and get connected with a good corporate rental company who will rent to execs on a long term basis. That is a very profitable business.

#3 7 years ago

For AirBnB, I can see it as a quirky way to get more attention to your place. Especially for people hosting a party in your rental. Perhaps let AirBnB know that you have a few extra thousand dollars in these. I don't see how it wouldn't be covered like how a nice piece of furniture would.

Also, consider who's renting from you. Check their feedback. Don't rent to a bunch of rowdy teens.

#4 7 years ago

I think the last guy who tried that got his WH2O topper stolen.

#5 7 years ago

One can only imagine what they might try to do if a ball gets stuck on the playfield with no keys and no one around to keep them from being stupid

#6 7 years ago

I wouldn't.

#7 7 years ago

Sell the pins.

I wouldn't leave them in a "rental".

People tear shit up.

#8 7 years ago

I would be happy to store them at my house for you and when you do come into the DFW area you can play them....you're welcome.

#9 7 years ago

i have some in my NH house we rent out and we have never had a problem. thanks ed

#10 7 years ago

The money you will gain by a renter who happens to like pinball, will not out weigh the risk for damage to your machines

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sell the pins.
I wouldn't leave them in a "rental".
People tear shit up.

+1

Unless you don't care about the pins getting damaged and losing some of their value, I would sell them.

#12 7 years ago

Most people are animals.

Don't chance it.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Drew13:

The money you will gain by a renter who happens to like pinball, will not out weigh the risk for damage to your machines

Agreed. Very few people I know care much at all about pinball/arcades. Those things take up a huge amount of space and worth a lot of money. There might be a younger single guy that would love it but more likely it would attract someone with young kids. Either way, if it's a rental you shouldn't have stuff you care about in there. Sell them or put them in storage.

#14 7 years ago

I have 3 vacation rentals in Lake Tahoe. They all have pinballs / calssic arcdae games & mega touches on the kitchen counter. We book 2 heavily and the other is fair.

I had a players White Water in one. When we came by to do some misc repairs... I noticed the complete topper missing (dome & waterfall). I was shocked, as it was installed with torex wood screws. It was definetly a Pinhead who had a torex & knew the value of a true WH20 topper. The clean crew missed it and I had no way of nailing it down to a particular booking. There is a long thread here on Pinside "someone stole my topper" if I remember correctly.

The pinballs I have are now system 11 players (Police Force / Buggs Bunny / Gameshow / and a sitdown Knight Moves). I have many of the multi-cades as well.

You can see the games in this link; www.MyTahoeFunHouse.com The WhiteWater is in FunHouse #3. Since those picts were taken, I have exchanged the DMD pins for pins noted above.

I think the games are an added draw... however, maintenance is problematic, especially with the pins.

Kerry

#15 7 years ago

After I just posted this, I thought I would search "someone stole my topper". It did pull it up; https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/someone-stole-my-white-water-topper-dome-and-waterfall#post-1717043

At post #16; Travis from Twisted pins graciously offered to replace it for free! I can't believe there are 173 up votes and 1 down vote. Not to re-hash this topic, as many have been burned by TP... I just wanted to do the research and post if anyone was interested in reading.

#16 7 years ago

As a renter, I'd definitely choose a house that had pins...just sayin.

#17 7 years ago

you could prolly rent this place for big $$ during TPF

#18 7 years ago

They seem safer to me in a rental where you can trace who's been at them, than on a location where anyone can walk up and abuse them. I'd say go for it - the premium you can charge for having an awesome game cave in your rental will offset any potential losses from abuse.

#19 7 years ago

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys... I have decided to leave the pins.
I will still use the place alot and me and my buds love playing the pins when we in town...If they get banged up a bit I can live with it... It's what makes the place so cool...
Been getting it ready and finding good maid....
Any Pin heads coming to Dallas check it out... 15min walk to Rangers or Cowboys..3 stories, two car garage, roof patio, 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 baths, sleep 6, and...PINS. Can throw up some more pics if any one curious

IMAG3999_(resized).jpgIMAG3999_(resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago

I'd throw some pingulps on those

#21 7 years ago

They came in today!! Along with some coin up's for the Arcades...

#22 7 years ago

Just as an aside....if you are renting to any not familiar with pins etc. Make sure they have directions on what to do if a ball is stuck or something is malfunctioning to power it down and not attempt to fix it if they don't know how. Also that you are easy to contact in this event.

#23 7 years ago

That's a good idea....plan to try and talk with all my renters.... want them to enjoy the whole experience.... Might frame and hang a little sign by pins.
I also have a good hookup for Baseball tickets too.

#24 7 years ago

PM sent. Coming through in December.

#25 7 years ago

I would no way leave this nice of pins. They will get abused for hours by some really young kids, teenagers or drunk adults at some point. Wait until they put candy, water, beer and food all over it. Shake the machine to death when the ball is stuck. Leave it calling for ball 2 to shoot for 24 hours straight. Maybe leaving some nice $1000 SS pins, but these, no way. Crazy no way to renters.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

PM sent. Coming through in December.

At the Texas Ranger game now... p.m. u tomorrow....

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Junkhauler:

and who would not want to play some pinball on vacation

you'd be surprised by how many people couldn't be bothered.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from fishmanrob:

I would no way leave this nice of pins. They will get abused for hours by some really young kids, teenagers or drunk adults at some point. Wait until they put candy, water, beer and food all over it. Shake the machine to death when the ball is stuck. Leave it calling for ball 2 to shoot for 24 hours straight. Maybe leaving some nice $1000 SS pins, but these, no way. Crazy no way to renters.

My gosh.... that sounds awfull...u sound very angry....
All I can say is there just machines made for fun....I'm going to take the challenge to find good people... if they get trashed, I guess I'm a idiot.... going to try and keep this fun, it's not going to be a cheap rental, but I bet I get lots of returning guests... it's a very cool setup with the ultimate location for Rangers, Cowboys.

IMAG2129_(resized).jpgIMAG2129_(resized).jpg

IMAG2130_(resized).jpgIMAG2130_(resized).jpg

IMAG0433_(resized).jpgIMAG0433_(resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago

The Twilight Zone seems problematic game to maintain on location. Since their will be no tech around to fix any mechanical issues, it may not be a great idea, especially that game. The vids should be fine.

#30 7 years ago

Are these all ground floor level? I know it sounds absurd, but the right person could easily pull those out of they are not secure.

#31 7 years ago

I rented out my current home as a weekly vacation rental for 3 years, until I was able to relocate here. The most important thing IMHO was having a good management company. Many are just an afterthought in a local real estate office, and will rent to anyone with a pulse.

I used a local retired person who handled their own rental and a dozen others like mine, and they got a percentage of each rental as a 'marketing fee'. They took all the inquiry calls day and night, and filtered out the frat party college types. - very important to avoid no matter how much they promise to behave, it never goes well. You want families. Once a suitable guest was identified, I was given the info, and would send them the rental contract, and payment, security deposit, and housekeeper fee were due a few weeks before the rental. The rental was not a get rich quick thing, but it did cover a good share of the mortgage until I could move in permanently.

The rental season was spring and summer here, and I had reduced rates for fall winter to attract guests, so check what others do in your area. Obviously, if the rates are set too low, it is not worth the wear and tear on the condo.

The more people your place sleeps, the more you can charge and the more it will be rented, so fold out sleeper couches are a must! Families loved my place with 4br plus 2 fold out couches. Explained it could sleep up to 12 when utilizing the couches, and families on vacation lined up to rent.

Do list the place on www.vrbo.com. Don't bother with rental signs out front, since those inquires were always just a nuance in my experience. Do put up small signs where necessary in the condo, such as HVAC and Pinball instructions. You may want to add an older console game to further attract families.

Do put ID labels, such as the name of the condo on small things like DVDs, Nice books, games, etc. I think guests assumed someone left them behind and would take things that were not labeled. Also label the remotes, since they sometimes get wrapped up with linens and end up at the laundry and never find their way home without it. (speaking of linen: http://www.linensource.com/)

My vacation rental experience was a good one, and I expect your pins will be fine. They were built to take a little abuse anyway.

#32 7 years ago

Good luck. I've seen what people do to machines at a show that aren't theirs while surrounded by other people. I'd be scared to see what they do when there isn't anyone around.

#33 7 years ago

Mount a few security cameras pointed at the games and at the doors and put up signs that the area will be recorded for safety purposes, doesn't matter if they are actually hooked up or not it will deter most people from abusing or stealing them.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Mount a few security cameras pointed at the games and at the doors and put up signs that the area will be recorded for safety purposes, doesn't matter if they are actually hooked up or not it will deter most people from abusing or stealing them.

If you do that... you may want to check into "if" there is a break in / rape / assault (etc) and there are no cameras recording, or for privacy issues... you may have some liability issues to tend to.

1 month later
#35 7 years ago

Well I'm finally up and rolling..... check it out on VRBO.com.... just enter 912524 in the where u want to go box.

Is there any place on Pinside to advertise a Vacation Rental that has Pinball to play?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Junkhauler:

Well I'm finally up and rolling..... check it out on VRBO.com.... just enter 912524 in the where u want to go box.
Is there any place on Pinside to advertise a Vacation Rental that has Pinball to play?

That's awesome, dude! If I was visiting the area, I'd rent that place in a heartbeat.

#37 7 years ago

Just a quick note on the vids, since everyone has the pin part covered...marble madness is a REALLY nice game to have on location,If you are planning on keeping games there I'd swap it with a Mrs pac or something..those medium resolution monitors are getting hard to find...I just sold one a few months ago for $300. Just my two cents..

#38 7 years ago

I wanted a driving game (I got a sit down, stand-up, and that mini OutRun)...a baseball theme game, and a two player competition game, so I picked the M.M....
I've got 34 dedicated stand-up Arcades, most fairly nice. I could switch around but it's a 400 mile drive and a super pain going to 2ND floor(12ft ceiling in garage) up stairs. It was a Job for the Fireman finest movers.....

#39 7 years ago

I'm building a pinball barn with 46 cool pinball games and 2 bedrooms. It will rent for $5,000/week. Any takers?

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

I'm building a pinball barn with 46 cool pinball games and 2 bedrooms. It will rent for $5,000/week. Any takers?

Only if that Dog-man in your avatar stands watch over the place at night

#41 7 years ago

I have had a TZ, METLE, STLE, TAF and TRON in my vacation rental. Never had a single issue in 3.5 years. Well, not pin related anyway.

#42 7 years ago

Hope I have the same luck.... I think the Pinballs and Arcades are getting my listing lots of attention, I'm starting to get some action.....

2 months later
#43 7 years ago

Well, if I was fortunate enough to rent that place, it would definitely be my first choice, solely because of those sweet pins.

On another semi unrelated thought. Does anybody here have pins in their home use they don't set to free play? where guest, family, or roommates must pay to play? I am wanting to get a nice pin, however, I have 4 roommates, I don't entirely trust to treat it well. So I want to make them pay, for part of their playing or for certain times, to offset any repairs I may need to do from use. Just curious if any has done this and how its gone over or tips on doing it right......or if you just think I should post this on a different thread. Any help is appreciated, thank you

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Drew13:

I agree with this 100x.

Your collection there is way too valuable. Leaving one or two inexpensive things is fine but your collection is too valuable.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Snwbrdrmidget15:

Well, if I was fortunate enough to rent that place, it would definitely be my first choice, solely because of those sweet pins.
On another semi unrelated thought. Does anybody here have pins in their home use they don't set to free play? where guest, family, or roommates must pay to play? I am wanting to get a nice pin, however, I have 4 roommates, I don't entirely trust to treat it well. So I want to make them pay, for part of their playing or for certain times, to offset any repairs I may need to do from use. Just curious if any has done this and how its gone over or tips on doing it right......or if you just think I should post this on a different thread. Any help is appreciated, thank you

I'm sure this policy will be very popular.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Junkhauler:

Not yet but I think we should make one. I'd rent your place and take a vacation but I'm looking for a beach destination with pins for next year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballs-in-a-vacation-rental and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.