• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5120 (resized).JPG
20170111_000225 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Recently I bought a new machine from Stern (Metallica). The four balls the game came with appear very dull as if there is a coating on them of some sort. The balls in the other Stern machines I have previously had don't have this issue and are very shiny. Any ideas why this is?

#2 6 years ago

Oil, to prevent rusting. Clean with alcohol

Rob

#3 6 years ago

I have them sitting in alcohol and they are still dull.

#4 6 years ago

use them or spend 5$ on a new set.

#5 6 years ago

buy some new balls.....

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

use them or spend 5$ on a new set.

I have bought online but the usually start to rust in less then a month. Never had an issue with Stern's before.

#7 6 years ago

first thing i do is replace the stern balls, buy a bunch so you can replace often.

#8 6 years ago

Stern Balls, I don't even open the bag they come in. I drop them right in the trash.
In go some Super Shiney's, Ball Baron or Silverjet's, depending on the magnet situation

#9 6 years ago

Oh god.

Here comes the "stern balls build quality" thread.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh god.

Hey my pin’s not level, what did they do to the leg levelers?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

In go some Super Shiney's

MMMMMM shiny balls!

#12 6 years ago

god damn it Stern "build quality"

#13 6 years ago

I've found Stern pinballs to be a good representation of the rest of their product.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh god.

Lol

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I have bought online but the usually start to rust in less then a month. Never had an issue with Stern's before.

Buy from someone reputable. Just replace them if they are scratched. Stern probably used a diff supply for your MET.

#16 6 years ago

I don't use balls from NIB games. They're generally bad. Just put in a fresh set and you're good.

#17 6 years ago

Stern balls cause dimples, aftermarket balls dimple the playfield less

*runs and hides*

#18 6 years ago

Does anyone remember Ken's mirror glazed premium polished pinballs? "Jewelry for your machine".

https://web.archive.org/web/20060101022735/http://mrgameroom.homestead.com/Kens.html

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Does anyone remember Ken's mirror glazed premium polished pinballs? "Jewelry for your machine".
https://web.archive.org/web/20060101022735/http://mrgameroom.homestead.com/Kens.html

Yes I remember those and still have a few.

#20 6 years ago

Stern has a tough enough time building a machine that doesn't come apart at the seams and you expect them to get the balls right?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Stern Balls, I don't even open the bag they come in. I drop them right in the trash.
In go some Super Shiney's, Ball Baron or Silverjet's, depending on the magnet situation

I do the exact same thing

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh god.

YES!

#23 6 years ago

Well, they have the balls to sell machines with unfinished code.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Well, they have the balls to sell machines with unfinished code.

Unpolished...seems about right.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh god.

Here is some gasoline for the fire.

One of these pinballs is not like the others, one of these pinballs is not quite the same.

20170111_000225 (resized).jpg20170111_000225 (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Here is some gasoline for the fire.
One of these pinballs is not like the others, one of these pinballs is not quite the same.

Left lower

#27 6 years ago

Agreed, lower left. Is that a brand new Stern ball?

I see no issues with the 4 ball supplied with my Spider-Man.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

Agreed, lower left. Is that a brand new Stern ball?
I see no issues with the 4 ball supplied with my Spider-Man.

Mine is similar to the dull one a little worse.

#29 6 years ago

What about waxing your balls?
I mean we wax our playfields, why not the balls? Serious question pardon the pun!

#30 6 years ago

From my (former) NIB GB Prem. That was after cleaning waxing and polishing all of them. They still looked like crap. For reference the others were the cheapies from Pinball life.

#31 6 years ago

Stern pinballs are very dull when opened. Alcohol wont do it. I clean them with glass cleaner before installing and they look shiny and great after.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

From my (former) NIB GB Prem. That was after cleaning waxing and polishing all of them. They still looked like crap. For reference the others were the cheapies from Pinball life.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

What about waxing your balls?
I mean we wax our playfields, why not the balls? Serious question pardon the pun!

This is from the last time I shopped my Tron. New balls waxy and fast.

IMG_5120 (resized).JPGIMG_5120 (resized).JPG

#34 6 years ago

I once noticed new balls I bought rusted very fast. I found out that you shouldn't touch the balls with your hands because oils and stuff from your hands cause them to rust sooner. Now, when I take balls out of a game for maintenance or something I give the balls a good wipe before I put them back into the machine. Haven't seen a rusty ball I bought myself since. So to conclude, don't touch your balls with your hands.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmuis:

I once noticed new balls I bought rusted very fast. I found out that you shouldn't touch the balls with your hands because oils and stuff from your hands cause them to rust sooner. Now, when I take balls out of a game for maintenance or something I give the balls a good wipe before I put them back into the machine. Haven't seen a rusty ball I bought myself since. So to conclude, don't touch your balls with your hands.

Why does this have to be so difficult...its just balls!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmuis:

Oils in your skin can corrode metal, but this takes a huge amount of time and it won't affect the ball across its whole surface; only where you've touched it. If the balls are rusting all over and over a short period of time, then it is more likely to be caused by the environment or the way the balls were manufactured.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

Oils in your skin can corrode metal, but this takes a huge amount of time and it won't affect the ball across its whole surface; only where you've touched it. If the balls are rusting all over and over a short period of time, then it is more likely to be caused by the environment or the way the balls were manufactured.

It can depend on the person. Also, ofcourse this isn't within weeks. But maybe after a year. And with rust I don't mean rusted through, just effected. When you hold multiple balls in your hand and roll around you likely touched most of the ball.

Quoted from newpinbin:

Why does this have to be so difficult...its just balls!

It's not difficult, you don't have to clean them with alcohol of something. Just wipe hem off with your shirt or something before putting them back in the game. No need for a special ballrag

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.95
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 149.00
$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballs-from-stern?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.