Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F4CABD04-A03F-404A-A090-AED382375566 (resized).jpeg
troubleshoot.jpg
manual.jpg
pinballpcb_driverboard.jpg
#1 9 years ago

This has been mentioned briefly in other threads, but figured I'd post one with the subject in the topic and actually review one. I also want to state I have no affiliation with this company, this is an unbiased review.

So I've been working on a black knight on and off for probably the last 2 years now. Tried a $200 used rottendog board, still had issues (ended up selling to a friend, who needed to send it in for repair). Restored the playfield and cabinet, ended up putting the original board back in and had a tech fix some switch issues. Played it for a while, wasn't happy the lighting to alert you that you got magnasave wasn't working. So I tried replacing the diodes and caps on the trace that controls it, didn't fix it. Then I tried replacing the PIA chip, ended up doing more harm than good, then the traces lifted. So then I bought what was supposed to be a refurbished driverboard off ebay for $100. Attract mode was back, but wouldn't start a game (switch matrixes were effed up).

So now I'm really into this, 2 driverboards toasted and a rottendog. It's been months since I touched it because I don't want to dump any more money into it. So then last week I have some leftover paypal money, so I decide to take a gamble on pinballpcb.com for a new driverboard. They seem to be reputable, and although 2 boards would cost you more than one rottendog board ($375 combo vs $280), the boards look to be built better and closer to the original (while updating to modern components). Popped it in, game starts, all lights work.. But sound isn't work (not related, I had flakey sound issues before this started). Also the board itself has really nice LED strips that illuminate when a gate (lamp or solenoid) is fired, so it's good for troubleshooting too.
pinballpcb_driverboard.jpgpinballpcb_driverboard.jpg

The board also comes with a great manual with a binder, has troubleshooting inside and full schematics (which is nice in case you do have issues).
manual.jpgmanual.jpg
troubleshoot.jpgtroubleshoot.jpg

Also note, when I had the tech over, he wouldn't touch the rottendog board. I've also contacted the coin-op cauldron, and he doesn't work on them.

#2 9 years ago

Yep, excellent boards from Kohout. I've got their driver and power supply in my BK now and will soon be upgrading the sound boards and MPU. I can't say enough good things about them.

#3 9 years ago

I have this board in my BK as well. No issues whatsoever but it still looks quite serviceable and has excellent documentation.

#4 9 years ago

I replaced power and driver boards in my BK. MPU is on its way because I still have issues.... Also suspect possible under the PF issue in mine. Fun fun.

1 week later
#5 9 years ago

As someone who has owned both, I will say that both are great choices.

I would lean towards Rottendog for the fact that I can condense to one board, and that the buttons and dipswitch programming are setup exactly the same as originals so that all off the instructions from the original manual and cabinet cards are still applicable. Programming & entering diagnostics on Kohout's boards is done with jumpers.

Kohout's power supply is the best on the market IMO.

1 week later
#6 9 years ago

So just got my new soundboard/speech board combo because of my sound not working. Installed the new boards in less than 5 minutes. The chips are pre-programmed and jumpers already setup for black knight. Fired it up, had to do a quick reset, sounds are back and clear as can be.

I know there are purists that prefer repairing the original boards, but this is about as original as you can get and have confidence it will perform for many years (and actually have replaceable chips that aren't obsolete when something does go bad). Must say I'm quite impressed with Kohout, great communication too. He was out of boards, so he let me know they'd be shipping about a week late.

3 weeks later
#7 9 years ago

I bought my first pin, a non-working Lucky Seven, back in september. It had no battery acid damage, but i think the previous owner messed it up by using the wrong fuses. Both LEDs on the CPU board stayed on. I reflowed all the header pins plus the inter-board connector, replaced the 5101 chip and replaced the old ROMs by an eprom adapter board (single eprom). Some of the chip sockets were already replaced with better ones. I also replaced the power supply with an overhauled one, which did nothing except for all the GI come up (before that only the playflied was lit up). Since i´m lacking the knowledge and time i decided to go with all three System 3 boards available from Jeff. My Lucky Seven fired right up and was ready to play. From the mail communication Jeff seems to be a good guy, too.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Knaagi:

From the mail communication Jeff seems to be a good guy, too

He doesn't always reply quickly, but this seems like a side business. He does try to answer all your questions, and alerts you when something has shipped (or delayed). I honestly think his boards are the best out there, and can't wait till his system 9-11c universal board finishes testing.

#9 9 years ago

I have the robo BK set up (pinball PCB mpu, driver, power supply). I had a matrix issue with the Rottendog so I went all in with these boards. Problem solved... for a hundred games or so. I'm back to having issues with any switch in column 6 locking their respective row on. I used a switch matrix tester to eliminate the playfield from the equation and they're still locking on. Pretty stumped while the Knight laughs in my face.

Well-built boards (esp the power supply), just a shit Black Knight.

#10 9 years ago

Title <> Kohout

#12 9 years ago

cool, I know it bothers me when my name gets munged

I would give a thumbs up for the Kohout boards too. His boards are a little pricy when compared to the rottendog cpu and driver combo (although not exactly apples to apples), but the build quality seems very good and I have been running them in one of my sys7 games for years with no issues.

#13 9 years ago

I am waiting for a set of Kohout boards for my BK, ordered about a week ago, so hope they ship soon.

#14 9 years ago

If anyone needs a BK sound and voice board set let me know. Have new ones, never installed, sold project.

Would like to get most of my money back out of it.

5 months later
#15 8 years ago

I'm glad to hear great things about Kohout. I just found their site today and plan to replace all of my original boards in my Firepower with his stuff.

4 years later
#16 4 years ago

I wanted to post that now that Kohout has been back more than a few
Months and have some new
Boards, I rec people take a look.
The prices are are fair, quality has been good and customer service on spot as well.
I have no affiliation with them, just glad there are more options and hope
They can help other pinsiders

#17 4 years ago

Nice! I really like this company, wonder what changed their mind. maybe they got so many emails they figure it's worth doing.

#18 4 years ago

When you add up the production totals, total games made , that they make boards for now it’s got to be over 100k. (Figure flash firepower Gorgar black knight top 50k alone) That’s allot of machines out that potentially could use one of their boards. I hope they continue to add to their product line

5 months later
#19 3 years ago

I just wanted to bump this topic. I recently bought my first Kohout board and could not be happier. It's a System 7-11B Power Supply and it is soooooo nice. It was packaged perfectly, has a great manual with schematics and is built solid as can be. Gotta love the rotary switch with actual voltage display! That is definitely a major step up from an LED indicator!

http://pinballpcb.com/products/williams-system-7-11b-power-supply/

From now on Kohout will be my first choice on any board they sell.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I just wanted to bump this topic. I recently bought my first Kohout board and could not be happier. It's a System 7-11B Power Supply and it is soooooo nice. It was packaged perfectly, has a great manual with schematics and is built solid as can be. Gotta love the rotary switch with actual voltage display! That is definitely a major step up from an LED indicator!
http://pinballpcb.com/products/williams-system-7-11b-power-supply/
From now on Kohout will be my first choice on any board they sell.

I 2nd that, combo all in one Sound/Speech Board is amazing as well.

F4CABD04-A03F-404A-A090-AED382375566 (resized).jpegF4CABD04-A03F-404A-A090-AED382375566 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballpcbcom-review-black-knight?hl=topkat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.