4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 307 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

update.jpg
rick-james-cold-blooded-300x299.jpg
java_installed_on_my_desk.jpg
toooooonnnnnnnny.jpg
HTP.gif
7a7b83bb-999b-438a-8cdf-1e5f350b2c21.jpg
yahoo.jpg
Java.jpg
haxor.jpg
hacked2.png
science-dog1.jpg
image.jpg
image.png
expert.jpg
litter.jpg
Computer_Buttons.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metahugh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just wonder if he's so hot to defend Java because that's what it will be using. It's a weird thing to get all passionate about. I hang out with technical people every day. I doubt I could find a single one that would be willing to defend Java applets in any capacity. Java in browsers has been a joke for ages now. Even when you have to use it for some reason it's a kludge.

I think Vid is getting flak because he said this in his first post:

Quoted from vid1900:

I just tried it and it did not install a virus - BUT I do not have Java installed.
NEVER install Java on your computer, and always disable it if you somehow have it.
Check here if you have Java, if you do, kill it.
https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Having Java installed and enabled in your browser are two different things.

The techno geeks pickup on suggestions that aren't very specific . Although pinchroma would make his point better if he aired on the side of being helpful without the dash of attitude.

I would recommend not having Java installed if you don't have an application installed that actively uses it or if you aren't used to troubleshooting computers and software for a living. Also I've been to the misspelled Pinball Life site and I wasn't infected, this must be a new thing.

Also don't use Internet Explorer (aka Internet Exploder)

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's as simple as this:
A person surfing the web has not needed Java installed on their web browser in probably 5 years. It's an old, unsafe, pile of crap. It's how malware gets installed without any action from the user.
A person who NEEDS Java installed on their computer (not their web browser), like programmers or kids hacking their Comcast boxes, will KNOW the difference.
UNINSTALL JAVA NOW!

You are still missing the point. Your post has the same issue I was talking about earlier.

What about those that play Minecraft? They aren't programmers or kids hacking Comcast boxes. Other applications utilize Java and your base recommendation is to "UNINSTALL JAVA NOW" vs disable Java in your browser.

I'm not saying you are wrong about disabling Java in your browser, I'm saying your recommendation should be specific and not generic.

Edit: Here is a good link from Sun about disabling Java in your browser versus completely uninstalling the software:

http://java.com/en/download/help/disable_browser.xml

#195 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Minecraft installs a contained version of Java that does not open the entire system up to Java vulnerabilities.
The Java executable stays within Minecraft, and is inaccessible to the rest of the system.
Even if you uninstall Java systemwide (and not just in the browser), Minecraft will still work fine.
-
So for the 1000000000 time:
Uninstall Java from your browser - RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!
Unless you have a specific need for Java in your computer, go ahead and uninstall Java from there too.
(You can always reinstall it, should you suddenly have some need for it)

That shows how long its been since I played Minecraft on my PC Although they still show it being required on their support page:

https://help.mojang.com/customer/en/portal/articles/325948-minecraft-system-requirements

I still disagree about uninstalling Java but that's fine.

#204 4 years ago

Yeah I found that after you said Java was contained within Minecraft. I played Minecraft back when you had to have Java installed.

The link I posted earlier shows Mojang still lists Java as being a required install. You would think they would have updated the page by now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 180.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Customs
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 25.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
€ 197.00
Displays
PINBALLSP
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Various Novelties
Game Room Info Shop
$ 9.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metahugh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside