3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 307 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

update.jpg
rick-james-cold-blooded-300x299.jpg
java_installed_on_my_desk.jpg
toooooonnnnnnnny.jpg
HTP.gif
7a7b83bb-999b-438a-8cdf-1e5f350b2c21.jpg
yahoo.jpg
Java.jpg
haxor.jpg
hacked2.png
science-dog1.jpg
image.jpg
image.png
expert.jpg
litter.jpg
Computer_Buttons.jpg

There are 307 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just wonder if he's so hot to defend Java because that's what it will be using. It's a weird thing to get all passionate about. I hang out with technical people every day. I doubt I could find a single one that would be willing to defend Java applets in any capacity. Java in browsers has been a joke for ages now. Even when you have to use it for some reason it's a kludge.

Yup.

I particularly love how a write-once-run-anywhere technology only does so if the programming methodology includes a chicken and hat box.

I love its backward compatibility - I have JRE 6-something running on a vm because anything newer and I can't run the EMC management console. I have client machines running a scanning/OCR app where a security option no longer exists in the java UI, so if they update, it breaks. I'm not a programmer, but as a sysadmin I can definitely say I'd rather have a single platform software that works reliably for a few years instead of one that has a decent chance of falling over with each security update, and a VERY good chance of falling over with the next major version. It's so dumb.

Yes, turn it off or uninstall it if you don't need it. The constant prompts to update it alone are reason enough to junk it.

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All joking aside, I hope that JJP is smart enough not to have Alex in charge of the security for the 3rd game that is supposed to have online capabilities.

WOZ had absolutely no security at release. No matter what Alex told you the filesystem was not encrypted, no malware scanner, and you could replace any file on the hard drive using the patch updating mechanism. Only now are we finally seeing some type of (or attempt at) protection using AppArmor for the "asset protection" revision in 5.03 which is clearly driven by pressure from Warner Bros. for IP protection.

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Drop to a terminal:
Type:
for a in ps -ef |grep -i "safari" |awk 'print $2' ; do kill -9 ${a} ; done
Kills all processes with safari in the name. Replace with chrome or Firefox

I hope you're joking.

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I hope you're joking.

You're right. I borked the awk print on my phone.

The proper syntax is:

for a in ps -ef |grep -i chrome |awk ' { print $2 }' ; do kill -9 ${a} ; done

Someone asked how to force kill things on a mac. Sometimes the old "Force Quit" from the menu bar does nothing. This is much more effective

*EDIT* Ahh hell nevermind. Pinside formatting is removing some of syntax formatting.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I've noticed that the malicious site does something random every time you go to it. Some times it redirects to other sites. But sometimes it does try to mimic a pinball website. Here is a screenshot from my iPhone of one of the times it came up looking kind of like the real site which might trick someone.
image.png

That's just a parked page. It's generated by a bot owned by the hosting company using keywords from similar URLs. Here's an interesting one. Evidently it picked up on the various Marilyn Monroe threads we have regarding Taxi playfields and translites and misassociated it with the much more popular search term starting with "Marilyn." Funny, these machines.

image.jpg

#157 3 years ago

I have Google Chrome & Avast antivirus can i safely go to that hamster place safely?

#158 3 years ago

Just go into a pet store wearing a trench coat like the rest of us.

#159 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I have Google Chrome & Avast antivirus can i safely go to that hamster place safely?

I been using 'No Script' & xhamster for a decade

#160 3 years ago

in the mean time lets keep terry operating. just google pinball life and get to the correct site and buy some stuff while the experts here give him a hand.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Only if you have a degree from the school of redundancy school.

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Only if you have a degree from the school of redundancy school.

is it safe for me to safely go safely?

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

is it safe for me to safely go safely?

Should be safe.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Someone asked how to force kill things on a mac.

Try holding the button on the back. If that doesn't work, reinstall the original software and start over. Shouldn't take long.

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Try holding the button on the back. If that doesn't work, reinstall the original software and start over. It takes under half an hour.

Press that Giants button on the keyboard and it will blow all over yourself.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Erica hasn't written for us in years.

Bummer. I guess your only credible writer doesn't even work there.

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I think Vid is getting flak because he said this in his first post:

Quoted from metahugh:

Having Java installed and enabled in your browser are two different things.

It's as simple as this:

A person surfing the web has not needed Java installed on their web browser in probably 5 years. It's an old, unsafe, pile of crap. It's how malware gets installed without any action from the user.

A person who NEEDS Java installed on their computer (not their web browser), like programmers or kids hacking their Comcast boxes, will KNOW the difference.

UNINSTALL JAVA NOW!

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's has to do with Pinball Life possibly taking the misspelled URL for it's own uses.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

The whole discussion about Java was just a sidebar.

I'm disappointed that you guys of all folks need a on my post

The Java discussion was (is) clearly a huge waste of time -- just poking fun

I'll show myself out...

#169 3 years ago

So, there is another approach to avoiding getting infected or phished by a look-a-like sites. Avoid going to the site altogether. PCs use DNS to resolve friendly names (URLs) to IP addresses. Type in the wrong URL, you go to the wrong IP. Before your PC goes out to a DNS server to resolve the IP, it can look locally on your PC in a HOSTS file to see if the requested URL is listed there. If it finds it, it will use that file to resolve the IP and skip the DNS lookup.

So, if you put the bad URL in your host file, you can decide where your browser will go. Set it to go to the real address, or set it to go to the PC loopback address 27.0.0.1. Setting it to go to loopback is called cratering... basically the request goes into a crater (nowhere).

This works so well that many lists of know look-a-like sites are maintained (host files) and are available for people to use for free. This effectively blocks double-click ads, etc.

Here is a link to more info: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Not all bad sites will be known. For that reason, disabling the various apps mentioned in the post can help reduce your attack surface. For people that use corporate provided PCs, you don't always have the ability to disable everything. Cratering can help, especially if you know the bad URL as in the case of the original problem statement.

Mac

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I'm disappointed that you guys of all folks need a on my post

It went over my head, lol.

After all the PMs I got about this thread, my perception was off

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It went over my head, lol.
After all the PMs I got about this thread, my perception was off

I thought for sure you had installed Java and caught some sort of drive-by zero-day humour impairment virus

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Bummer. I guess your only credible writer doesn't even work there.

So basically all you have left is insults. When you're losing the argument that's the next step, lash out. Try and change the topic, make people forget that you're ignoring the facts.

Not sure what the lovely group of talented people I work with did to deserve it, but considering you're bringing up a writer who hasn't worked for us since 2009 it's pretty obvious you're not even a reader of their work.

Somehow I think they'll survive.

#173 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

He can't quit.
That type of personality is unable to ever just admit they are wrong.
Or I guess it's possible he writes malware and get's paid when we get sprayed?

Yes you should admit YOU are wrong because YOU are! And, it's because you're spreading completely wrong, stupid, and foolish advice, with any real knowledge. Don't use Java, you might as well say never leave your house and always wear a helmet! Here's your sign...

#175 3 years ago

But, are you a Red Hat Certified Engineer?

No, but I am a certified member of the Purple Helmet Club...

#176 3 years ago

Tough crowd.

#177 3 years ago

We should head over to the malwarebytes forums and berate them for buying the wrong pinball machines

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's as simple as this:
A person surfing the web has not needed Java installed on their web browser in probably 5 years. It's an old, unsafe, pile of crap. It's how malware gets installed without any action from the user.
A person who NEEDS Java installed on their computer (not their web browser), like programmers or kids hacking their Comcast boxes, will KNOW the difference.
UNINSTALL JAVA NOW!

You are still missing the point. Your post has the same issue I was talking about earlier.

What about those that play Minecraft? They aren't programmers or kids hacking Comcast boxes. Other applications utilize Java and your base recommendation is to "UNINSTALL JAVA NOW" vs disable Java in your browser.

I'm not saying you are wrong about disabling Java in your browser, I'm saying your recommendation should be specific and not generic.

Edit: Here is a good link from Sun about disabling Java in your browser versus completely uninstalling the software:

http://java.com/en/download/help/disable_browser.xml

#179 3 years ago

you guys done yet? who won the biggest virus-knowledge-dick contest?

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

you guys done yet? who won the biggest virus-knowledge-dick contest?

I don't know about the virus knowledge, but I'm definitely the biggest dick around here.

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't know about the virus knowledge, but I'm definitely the biggest dick around here.

lets not be hasty numbnuts. I have a masters degree in dickhead

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I have a masters degree in dickhead

science-dog1.jpg

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I restrict my dickness, or try to. I've been told by someone at work that he was surprised nobody had stabbed me in the parking lot yet, so I think we all have a dick streak.

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think we all have a dick streak.

It might be time to see a doctor.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think we all have a dick streak

I think they now have ointment for that

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It might be time to see a doctor.

also uninstall Java

#187 3 years ago

So THAT'S why guys keep trying to get in my back door!

#188 3 years ago

According to the recent security training at work, this is what hackers look like:

hacked2.png

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

What about those that play Minecraft? They aren't programmers or kids hacking Comcast boxes. Other applications utilize Java and your base recommendation is to "UNINSTALL JAVA NOW" vs disable Java in your browser.

Minecraft installs a contained version of Java that does not open the entire system up to Java vulnerabilities.

The Java executable stays within Minecraft, and is inaccessible to the rest of the system.

Even if you uninstall Java systemwide (and not just in the browser), Minecraft will still work fine.

-

So for the 1000000000 time:

Uninstall Java from your browser - RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

Unless you have a specific need for Java in your computer, go ahead and uninstall Java from there too.

(You can always reinstall it, should you suddenly have some need for it)

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think we all have a dick streak

The doctor told me it was lipstick.

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The doctor told me it was lipstick.

Was it beelzeboob's shade?

#192 3 years ago

I just installed Java on a work laptop to foolishly prove Vid wrong and I'm pretty sure I'm missing some megahurtz already... had to use a special tool to check them
haxor.jpg
Did I do it wrong?
Java.jpg

#193 3 years ago

Has anyone EVER proved Vid wrong? I didn't think so.

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Has anyone EVER proved Vid wrong? I didn't think so.

Vid is secretly God.....or the Antichrist, we aren't sure which.

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Minecraft installs a contained version of Java that does not open the entire system up to Java vulnerabilities.
The Java executable stays within Minecraft, and is inaccessible to the rest of the system.
Even if you uninstall Java systemwide (and not just in the browser), Minecraft will still work fine.
-
So for the 1000000000 time:
Uninstall Java from your browser - RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!
Unless you have a specific need for Java in your computer, go ahead and uninstall Java from there too.
(You can always reinstall it, should you suddenly have some need for it)

That shows how long its been since I played Minecraft on my PC Although they still show it being required on their support page:

https://help.mojang.com/customer/en/portal/articles/325948-minecraft-system-requirements

I still disagree about uninstalling Java but that's fine.

#196 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, on the topic of fake virus scam artists, this is IMHO a hilarious but informative take on trolling one of those guys by one our own writers who they made the mistake of trying to scam:
I am calling you from Windows: A tech support scammer dials Ars Technica

You can read the rest here if you like:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/i-am-calling-you-from-windows-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/

My father in law gets a few of those calls, funny thing is they don't have a computer at all...

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I still disagree about uninstalling Java, but whatever.

If you think you need it, keep it installed.

One day when you get tired of it's constant updates, and it's constant trying to install crapware like the Yahoo search bar along with every update, you can without any guilt, uninstall it.

-

Just like Adobe Acrobat. I got so tired of it's constantly needing to update every time I opened a .pdf, that I uninstalled it and switched to Foxit Reader.

Foxit opens .pdfs 10x faster; and without all the 30mb daily updates.

#198 3 years ago

I've done it the same way before, with varying levels of success.....

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Foxit opens .pdfs 10x faster; and without all the 30mb daily updates.

+1 Foxit is way better.

In the end, there is no such thing as unhackable. If anyone tells you achieving that is possible, don't let them near your security.

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

That shows how long its been since I played Minecraft on my PC Although they still show it being required on their support page:

http://www.howtogeek.com/210907/minecraft-doesnt-need-java-installed-anymore-its-time-to-remove-

(thanks Ted for the link)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 37.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
£ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 209.99
$ 159.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.50
Playfield - Decals
The MOD Couple
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 92.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 307 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside