Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Retropin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-man-in-the-white-suit_1353354293_crop_550x410.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 8 years ago

Here's the thread where calvin12 posted the FLIR images:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-and-temp-reduction

An interesting conversation there. Even if you don't agree with all of calvin12's interpretations of his own data, it's great that he bothered to take the pictures in the first place, and then take more as a follow-up to attempt to answer specific questions re: insert temps, which certainly seem to show that flex LEDs can spot warm insert plastics more than incandescents.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

The argument is that LEDs (may) make a pinpoint spot hotter than any pinpoint spot using a 44 bulb. While the 44 overall puts out more heat, a 44 bulb dissipates uniformly across the glass globe of the incandescent lamp. The LED heat is all in a very concentrated spot... that is the theory at least, i am not really sure if this is true, just helping you understand the proposed idea. (which makes sense to me).

For what it's worth, calvin12's FLIR images references above seemed to show this to be the case for flex LEDs -- because the user can situate the LED element very close to the insert plastic, the point of heat generation is often much nearer to the insert and therefore can heat the insert up somewhat more than can an incandescent, even though the incandescent is drawing significantly more power and creating significantly more heat overall.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

look again, there is a pic specifically showing the setup form the backside to show that the flex was pulled down as far as possible from the insert.

Looking now. I respect your efforts to make it an even comparison, but to my eye a folded-down flex LED would still be closer to the insert than the heat source in a SMD LED or even an incandescent 44. But I wasn't there with calipers so obviously you're in the best position to judge distances!

Quoted from calvin12:

That post was done for nothing more than to put info out in public so people can make informed choices. Personally almost every game i have is full LED, I like them.

I'm definitely not accusing you of being anti-LED -- I think you made that clear in your other thread! And I'm not trying to port bickering from that thread (which speaks for itself) over here, so happy to leave it at that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballlife-leds-starting-to-yellow?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.