(Topic ID: 131339)

Pinballers!

By Marc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugh (resized).jpg
    image.jpg
    subject.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    pinball_tv.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    EPIC.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png
    571816_original.jpg
    119673442.jpg
    763_4944_ucp.jpg
    led_kiss.gif
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#433 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

anything that can actually make it to market would be a huge step in increasing the awareness of pinball to the masses.

Quoted from Jared:

Good to hear someone like you say that. I believe that too.

Jared, don't take what Josh said TOO literally. I think he meant, "anything [good] that can actually make it to market would be a huge step in increasing the [positive] awareness of pinball to the masses."

There has to be quality control to ensure positive awareness. Otherwise, Stern would have simply hired somebody like P.T. Barnum instead of you, because P.T. Barnum once said, "I don't care what the newspapers say about me, as long as they spell my name right."

I don't think Stern would consider the following names for any pinball promotional activities, because of their notoriety and infamy:

- Orenthal James "O.J." Simpson
    - Lance Edward Armstrong
    - Nicole Elizabeth "Snooki" LaValle

Barnum probably would have said, "Bravo! You spelled their names right."

But how is that even REMOTELY applicable to pinball?

Well, here's another notorious name to add to that list:

- Mayor Fiorello H. La Guardia

Along with a few infamous photos in pinball history...

571816_original.jpg571816_original.jpg

piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.pngpiccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png

#439 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

That name does more to promote pinball today then I think the old Mayor ever thought it would. The idea of pinball being illegal is laughable by nearly everyone today that even knows what it is. It's because of how outrageous it is that you keep seeing the same story told over and over.
    Because of him, the story of pinball being made illegal leads to stories about my dad helping to legalize it, and that leads to stories about where pinball is at today.
    Most recently this was told through the Travel Channel show Mysteries at the Museum:
    http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/mysteries-at-the-museum/video/pinball-wizard
    Actually there's the full version here:
    » YouTube video
    (start at 18 minutes it goes for just over 6 minutes)
    Mysteries at the Museum averages between 300,000 - 400,000 viewers a week. If anyone within those viewers was led to google search pinball afterwards to learn more about it . . . that's a win for pinball.

Great! So let's think of ways that we can actually get the hobby banned again for another 30 years so that pinballers in the year 2045+ can all sit around and reminisce about how great a promotion it was for pinball. I hear that O.J. Simpson's Q-score has dropped a bit since his Hertz commercials back in the late 1970s, so if you hire him to do a commercial promotion for IFPA, you can get 500x the number of marketing impressions than you could back then. That would definitely generate some buzz! And Lance Armstrong seems to have a lot of free time on his hands, in between occasional meetings with his lawyers, so maybe he can come speak at an IFPA tournament just to get a large crowd out? Think of the possibilities!

Or we can just keep taking the P.T. Barnum approach, acting like carnival barkers, and wondering why the hobby's sizzle reels aren't being picked up by networks?

EPIC.jpgEPIC.jpg

1 month later
    #560 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Saw a film crew following Robert Gagno around for the first few days of ReplayFX. New documentary?

Now THAT sounds interesting, assuming it's focused on the competitive tournament scene.

#564 8 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

» Vimeo video
    Short film preview of the bigger project.

That was awesome! I've watched hours of video of Robert playing pinball, both on location and in tournaments. The video that his friend shot of him reaching Valinor on a LOTR LE on location in his area is really interesting. To the best of my knowledge, it's one of the few videos in existence of a successful Valinor quest in the wild...

And Robert's personal story makes the subject matter of this project even more compelling. He is such a nice person... a real credit to this hobby and the competitive tournament scene.

I'm really looking forward to the feature length documentary. Thanks for posting!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballers-1?tu=razorbak86 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.