(Topic ID: 131339)

Pinballers!

By Marc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugh (resized).jpg
    image.jpg
    subject.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    pinball_tv.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    EPIC.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png
    571816_original.jpg
    119673442.jpg
    763_4944_ucp.jpg
    led_kiss.gif
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jared.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 8 years ago

Wow. I guess the link is public now.

Was a nice ride.

#23 8 years ago

Here is the story from my own personal POV:

Ok Pinside, time to come clean about a big secret I have been hiding for more than a year now. Read on for a behind the scenes look at some exciting things that have been going on over the last 18 months. I think you may be intrigued.

So this story begins back in November 2013. I am contacted by a professional television producer named Damien LeVeck from Hollywood. He explains to me that he wants to make a new hit reality TV show about pinball and pinball people. He asked if I would have any interest in the show and be willing to film myself answering some questions on camera. At this point, he was just building up a pitch to a production company. I agreed. In the Winter of 2013, I was casually filmed answering some questions about pinball and how I felt about it.

In the Spring of 2014 I was headed out to a professional race in Long Beach with a client, and decided to hang out with a good friend of mine, Andrick Zeen . While in town, the produced called me over for lunch in West Hollywood, saying he had some amazing news he wanted to share with me in person.

Andrick and I went to this place in Hollywood, and I met Damien where he explained to me that the international production and distribution company Lions Gate Entertainment had picked up the show idea and would be funding a sizzle. They liked the casual footage he had gathered and wanted to see what the real deal would look like. He explained to me that soon I would be getting a NDA agreement and a contract: I would be a signed television performer for Lionsgate Television. I was extremely excited!

Contracts went out, and this process took quite a while as some members of the cast wanted to be extra sure of everything. In the end some additions and revisions were made, but a final cast was agreed up, consisting all of pinball/arcade collectors in the North Texas area. The show had a working title of "Pinballers".

Now in the fall of 2014, we began filming the "sizzle". A sizzle is like a mini pilot, 8-12 minutes of professionally produced TV show to give networks a real taste of what the finished product could look like. This filming took some time, and was done by a professional crew. Lions Gate funded this and spared no expense in the top quality cameras, sound and editing. Damien was the producer.

I made a post here, vague in nature, asking for some extras to help filming. You may remember the post from the fall 2014, about 8 months ago. Some of you were in the footage that was shot here at my home.

Shooting concluded, and we waited months while it was edited. Damien flew back into Dallas on 1/1/15, to show us the sizzle for the first time together at one of the cast members homes. We saw it, were excited, and happy for what was to come.

By February 2015, Lions Gate and WME began the process of pitching the show to network executives. They all saw it, History, Discovery, AMC, TruTV, Reelz, CMT, NatGeo, etc. All of them. This process went on for about 2 months. We got some very good feedback, some of them even took it up a level or 2 to senior consideration. There were a couple of times where we were waiting to hear the phone call "at any moment" that the show as bought and we were all going to be on TV. In the end, no one pulled the trigger. The show was not bought by a network.

Normally, this would be where the story ends. A lot of production companies spend a lot of money on great ideas hoping to become TV shows, and most of them dont even get close to as far as we did. Most get shot-down before they are even funded to a sizzle, much less made and shopped around Los Angeles. We got really, really close. And today I learned that we are not done yet!

The executive producer, Damien LeVeck, whom I am SO EXCITED is heading up this project and is committed to making this happen. This thing is still going to happen, but as a online show! The option may still exist for this to jump up to network television later, but for now we are going to work with a online producer to make the the episodes for release digitally. Those details are still underway. .

Anyways, this has been a CRAZY and LONG journey where I learned a LOT about the Television business and the industry behind "reality television". I am thrilled that Damien is committed to bring this show to the world to enjoy.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

It's shameful that anyone who says they love pinball would be a part of this.

That's just not true at all.

I know everyone who was a part of it, and we truly love pinball. Especially Ed, who heads up one of the largest pinball shows on the planet and has a collection worth more than an used exotic car.

#32 8 years ago

Man I just knew that the day this post made it way to pinside there would be some butthurt about "this will make prices go up" etc etc.

So selfish... always thinking about what kind of deal YOU can get on a machine.

Let me tell you friends... the days a White Water is selling for $900... that is not a good day for pinball... that is the hobby on its final dying breath.

Look at the big picture. Most of America DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THIS STUFF EXISTS. No clue. Not an inkling. I hear it all the time: "wow, they still make pinball machines?". Yeah.

Massive, major network exposure like this (could have been) for our hobby has MASSIVE benefits downstream for all of us...

Interest in our hobby... location players... demand for machines in businesses... thats where this hobby explodes. A pinball show (not just this one, but any good one) could be the dynamite to start the avalanche.

And make not mistake: it's going to happen. Many, many people are working weekly to make sure of it.

Stop worrying about the price of a machine going up $100 and start worrying about the day that NO ONE GIVES A CRAP ABOUT PINBALL ANYMORE... it could happen... unless people step up and fight the good fight. Many are... the battle is growing... we gain more fighters every week... every year... pinball is the strongest now in 2015 as it has been in decades... we are at the precipice of interest and excitement since the 90's... right now.

Now is the time to strike. Now is the time for a TV show. Lions Gate bet $60,000+ on it. So far... it has not panned out... but it still could.

#37 8 years ago

Really interesting to finally hear feedback from the community on the project.

Was funny, none of us really knew how it would look or exactly how we would be portrayed until we saw the edited version on 1/1/15.

#68 8 years ago

Obviously, for the purposes of the sizzle, which would never be aired on TV, we did "dramatic recreations" of real life situations we have been in in the past (finding a game in a dumpster, auctions, etc). None of this was done to convince the public... this was done to convince studio executives to give us a shot at a TV show... to give them a taste.

They shot 30+ hours of footage... which was somehow edited into 9 minutes.

I have no idea what they did with the rest of the footage or how you edit 30 hours into 9 minutes.

None of us had any true idea how we would be portrayed, or how the show would look. We all found out together.

I for one, was pretty embarrassed when rays of light started shooting out of my head... man... it takes a lot to embarrass me. lol

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Wait, I'm pretty sure that was the premise of that 9 minute pitch, dude.
    How many of these kinds of shows are they gonna try and make? Pinball or otherwise. It just seems like a tired format.

I dont know, I am not a Hollywood TV producer. I was just a cast member. We were all wondering... "How is the show gonna look like"... and even once we saw the sizzle some of us then were like "Ok, what would a full episode look like" etc.

I had no interest in being a pawn-stars or storage wars. But then again, none of the cast were the ones doing the editing.

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I will say this Jared. Now that you work for Stern it's a little hard to not forget that when you talk about not worrying about prices going up. You're kind of in a biased position now, your job is to sell expensive pinball games. It's good for Stern if the used market goes higher, lets them compete better. Not everyone is going to see it that way.

At the time this was filmed in the Fall of 2014: I was not. I had no idea what was to come.

And had you asked me then, I would have told you the same thing.

I hope the day comes again when there is a Pinball machine in every movie theater and mall. Where a 7-11 has an arcade in it. Where you see Pinball machines as much as you see an ATM. I have thought that would be rad since 2012.

Who knows if it will happen or not, but as for this sizzle, it was not the show per say, it was an exaggerated sample to sell the idea to cable network executives. None of them bought it. Which is why now it can be shared.

#107 8 years ago

The executive producer and person who edited this show is watching this thread like a hawk. I just got a text from him, heh.

The feedback is actually really valuable. Up to this point, only a handful of people had seen it. Now, all at once we are getting hundreds of comments across facebook and forums... its awesome to read all the different interpretations.

The original intention was for none of you to know about this show until the day you say a "Coming Soon" commercial on Discovery Channel and realized what was going on... but that didnt work out. lol.

Still, the project still has legs, according to the man in Hollywood.

#114 8 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

If Marc is pumping up the attitude just for the show, tone it down.

Marc continued to pester and prod me, off camera during the scene shot where he tried to buy my TMNT.

No cameras rolling, he continued to laugh and sneer as he watched me get uncomfortable with his offer.

The money: that was not a prop. Marc really does carry a shitload of money around everywhere he goes ready to buy a machine at a moments notice.

You should have seen the shit marc said/did that was filmed but NOT included in this edit (thank God). Marc is something else.

#135 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

What exactly are all these different interpretations? All I'm seeing is negative ones.
    The fact that you're promoting this sewage and want it to move forwards makes me sick. Are you hoping to become the next Chumlee? If so, I'd appreciate it if you did so without ruining the hobby for everyone else.

Quite a few good ones here from non pinball people: which would be the target viewer.

https://www.facebook.com/jguynes/posts/10153457599264516?comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22O%22}&pnref=story

Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.08.10_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.08.10_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.07.47_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.07.47_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.08.00_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.08.00_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.07.37_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.07.37_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.07.31_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.07.31_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.07.22_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.07.22_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.07.13_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.07.13_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.06.49_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_1.06.49_PM.png

#137 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

So your friends and family?
    Sort of like how the neighbors of serial killers always say "He was just a nice, quiet boy."

LOL you really are stretching!

Remember when Robin asked us to make Pinside friendly? Like... a day ago? lol.

You are not being very friendly bro.

Several of the people who left comments are PINSIDE members... one of them is a staff member here. lol

#142 8 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Gambit3113....thank you.
    You seem to get it while the sour grapes haters do not.
    I'm really surprised at the low down hatred and bigotry being said about us. Most of which my those I've never spoken a word with in the past.
    The haters can't seem to understand this was just an idea and not to be primary focus of every episode. I have spoken at great length as have all of us with the producer of episode ideas including restorations, competitive tournament play, local pinball events and national shows and the buying, selling and trading we all do. If you were hoping for a documentary show entitled "this old pinball" that was never the intention of what this was to be about.
    You have to understand it would be impossible to film a reality show on the fly unless we all had Gopro's mounted to our heads.
    There were plans that if this was to go into full production there would be episode(s) focused around the many collectors here in the DFW area getting their machines ready for the TPF and all the goes on behind the scenes and the drama of putting on such a huge annual event each year.
    Heck I ran into a situation during load in this year at TPF that I thought would have been a great entertaining portion of an episode. Other episodes could be all the planning, preparing and the actual event as well as the headaches involved in planning events such as Jareds Ultimate Kiss Pinball LaunchParty.
    There are so many good/positive directions to go with this show that its goal was not to be just on the flipping for profit.

Bingo.

The big wigs in Hollywood only understand shows driven by cash/drama... so the producer put in some of that to help it sell... this was not to be the full focus of the show.

Promotion of the hobby was. Expo... TPF... launch parties... tournaments. Would have all been in there.

#154 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will say that you are the one posting the smut reel with people demeaning the guy selling his TMNT (isn't that you?) and the old guy with the cane. Not very friendly and way more offensive than many other things posted on here.

Actually, contrary to belief, I am not the OP nor did I post the link here on Pinside.

#157 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tangiers:

Jared, you have said that the show will be going forward as an online show. Will this cause you to lose your position with Stern? I think you have done a good job in your role with Stern but I can see where with the show you become a liability.

We will cross that bridge when it comes. Stern is actually pretty supportive of the idea of expanding visibility and awareness of the hobby. I cant help how they edit the show, but I can make sure that they dont get footage of me cussing people out of making fun of people with canes... because I would never do that (even for a TV show). lol.

The version of me you see in the sizzle is a hyper exaggerated version of the true me. The TV Jared is life a 15/10 and in real like I am like a 7.5/10

The TV show, even if successful, is a temporary thing. My position at Stern is planned to be long term. I wont make a decision (going forward) that would intentionally jeopardize that.

#160 8 years ago

Well, my wife just canceled our cable here at the house, we "cut the cord" with AT&T Uverse yesterday. lol. That sort of tells you how I feel about reality TV.

There are two car related shows filmed in the area... Street Outlaws and Fast & Loud... and I am an even bigger "car guy" than I am a pinball guy... and I have never seen an episode of either. I just dont like TV, lol.

Just saying the truth.

#165 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

So you don't watch this tripe, but you want to promote its creation and popularity?

Exposure and awareness are the biggest things that can help pinball right now. Thats why I signed on for the show (and pretty much the rest of the cast too). None of us signed up to hurt pinball man... we LOVE PINBALL. I could prove it, lol, but I dont have to.

Yes, there are many ways to expose pinball. Shows... launch events... barcades... location play... social media... pinside... there are a lot of things driving interest in pinball right now. But a TV show on a major network being pushed out in primetime to millions... thats the big jalopy. The big tuna. The Manhattan project.

I am here to tell you: we are not the only ones.

You may have missed it, but the IFPA president himself commented in here about his sizzle for their reality show. There are even others.. .we learned of several over the last 18 months. A ton of people are trying to get various version of "the pinball TV show" off the ground... and one day... soon... one of them is going to work out.

You cant stop it.

Will "Pinballers" be the one? Well.. we thought so... but that didnt happen. Still, someone is going to get this one. I am burning the candle from both ends. If I cant get the TV show sold, then I can help in other ways to promote the hobby via events and the things I do on social media. All this does is make the environment more and more ripe for the show. Many people are working towards this.

You guys are free to think what you wish of the Sizzle. It was "life event" for me signing a real life Hollywood contract and watching Lionsgate bet $60,000+ in production costs on the producers idea.

#185 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

well, since the producer is listening,
    why don't you show some of the positive things many in our community do every day.
    here are a few, jonnyo, long time volunteer at ppm, playland not at the beach, has run many tournaments over the years.
    junglequeen steve, brad grant, and the rest of the people who put on pin a go go every year. for local kids charities.
    pinball star amusements who continues to raise money to put pins in childrens hospitals.
    there is the other group whose name I forget doing the same thing.
    cliffy, the patron saint of playfield preservation.
    josh sharpe. taking league play to every corner of the globe.
    there are many more wonderful people you could profile who do wonderful things everyday in this hobby.
    or you could just have another reality show with four dudes
    from texas trying to one up each other with the bigger score of game x.
    which if you are reading this thread you already know we pinheads aren't to keen on.

The cast all needs to be in proximity to each other for filming purposes. Its a TV show not a documentary.

#195 8 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

Well I do live in Texas and have never met any of these "people" And please don't lump the rest of us in Texas with them. We live in the same state, that's it.

First of all: how is that possible?

Second of all: why is "people" in quotations. Do you think we may be aliens?

#226 8 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

I would say, what a great effort put into the video, Jared.. I found it funny, amusing, profound at times.., but still very entertaining.!!
    I can't even imagine the editing that went into that...GREAT JOB..!!!

Thanks... but I was just one of the cast members.

Lionsgate fronted the money to produce what you saw, and it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $60,000+ just to get those 10 minutes. Professional television is expensive.

#228 8 years ago

I for one never thought it was going to be a Storage Wars type show at all.

If each episode was a find, buy, restore, sell type show... thats pretty boring.

I always imagined the show more like a Real HouseWives of New York or Duck Dynasty, with the show being centered around the relationships of the characters and their situations as it relates to pinball.

There was talk early on about getting my wife involved so America could have a character who had (no) interest in pinball to relate to. Even into filming it was discussed that my wife would be brought in for season 2 as a cast member after cameo in several season 1 episodes.

There was a VERY good chance that most of the active pinball players in North Texas would be in the show in some fashion, and a decent chance that any colorful people that attend shows like Texas Pinball Festival, Houston Show, or even Chicago Pinball Expo would all be featured in the show. Nearly certainly Stern would be featured in the show as would many of it's designers and employees. I was even working a marketing deal with a local distributor for games placed in my lineup for filler with intention to cross promote.

There were ALL KINDS of angles and ideas going on... we were going to take freaking pinball to the DISCOVERY CHANNEL and I was dead set and certain that I could use the show as a vehicle to drive a national resurgence and interest in the hobby.

This was not someone kicking the can down the street. I was sitting there... in Hollywood California... being told by a executive producer contracted to Lionsgate (who has successful shows he has sold to networks already that are on TV) that I was about to be offered a contract and we are going for broke.

Can you imagine the thoughts going through my mind? A guy like me who is eternally optimistic and excited? This was life altering.

The thing dragged on... and on... and on... the contract (was ridiculous) and the pay was low (compared to the hours that would be invested). There was serious risk to ANY of us that this would be very invasive into our personal lives or jobs... we had no idea what was going to happen.

And then: nothing happened.

So, for now, this is just a radical cool story I can tell about how me and a group of my friends were *this close* to becoming network reality television stars... but it was not meant to be.

Or is it? Damien asserts that its "not done yet" and told us a story where a network who shot him down called him 2 YEARS later to pickup a sizzle they had previously seen because the market had changed and the idea became hot.

So thats my new angle. To help make the market hot. To pump it up. While I am waiting on the networks to come to their senses, I am going to push and promote and add excitement to this hobby as best I know how. Maybe come 2017, Pinball will be at a level nationally that the networks see it as a no brainier. Honestly, I think we are there now in 2015, but we couldn't get the big wigs to see eye to eye with us.

#231 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

And even with that cynical attempt, it still didn't sell. So, pretty tough.

Here is what we learned:

-Cable Networks are constantly on the search for "The Next BIG show"
    -Cable Networks have pitch meetings weekly where companies get to present them ideas.

Here is typical process:
    -There are thousands and thousands of people/companies with TV show ideas
    -Of those, a few hundred are selected to be seriously considered
    -Of those, a handful of them are selected to be funded for a sizzle
    -Of those, perhaps 1/10 will be funded to a full pilot (1 complete episode)
    -Of those, perhaps 1/5 will be bought for a 1/2 or whole initial season of TV (4-12 episodes)
    -Of those, 1/3 make it to a 2nd season where they truly become profitable for all involved

SO... we knew we had a long, long shot going into this deal.

But even making it to a funded sizzle... thats pretty damn far down the line... they invested a LOT of money during the process. Our show was the only reality pitch that Lionsgate took to the 2015 Realscreen Summit. They were THAT CONFIDENT that it would be bought.. on the spot.

#235 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

I know you guys in the show all want it to get bought, because honestly, it means big money for you if the ratings prove it a success.

Sorry bud, you dont know me.

That is not why I signed up at all.

Money is great... I need it... and I use it daily, lol. But it's not my motivation.

I signed up because I sincerely felt that it was an opportunity to help explode the hobby I love.

#239 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

I don't have to know you to know Jared promotes Jared

You cheated, that's in the sizzle. lol.

#244 8 years ago

I think you guys are missing the bigger picture.

You say "give us "a documentary that we will enjoy with genuine situations. The problem with that is the only people interested in watching such a thing are already into Pinball.

How many people will see a pinball documentary? In fact how many people have seen every pinball documentary ever combined?

In a single 22 minute episode on discovery channel a show like Pinballers can have more than 100 times the combined exposure of every pinball documentary ever made.

The key here is not to make something that Pinball people would tune in and watch. There's not nearly enough of you.

The key here is to make something that is interesting and intriguing to anyone in America, and then a side agenda is to convert the ones who are financially able into Pinball enthusiasts themselves.

#263 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

ruining the hobby may be a bit overbaord for me, but in short part of whom I identify with being is a pinballer.
    Hence my distaste would be with possibly changing the general publics perception of what a pinhead is by such tripe as what that sizzle showed.
    Currently when someone finds out I am a "pinhead" the questions are rarely about cost and almost always about the game they used to play, that was in their friends parent's basement, that they love the art, that is is so cool and a unique hobby. I like that identitiy that goes along with it. I take pride in restoring games, intorducing others to something I love and enjoy, putting games on route and keeping them playing well, and the general dorkiness that comes along with whom I am and that perception by the public.
    As show like this in the common public world is not good for that generalize identity of what a pinhead is, IMO (at least not the ones I hang out with and dominate our regional pinhead gatherings). I can only imagine like fantasy goat is getting at, the common public percpetion will shift to a pinhead = some self absorbed money obsessed DBs that do very little positive for anything in life. That we are not ambassadors of the hobby but just guys looking for a quick buck and fighting each other for the flip.
    In short, I like that being a pinhead typically means, smart dorky technically able somewhat obsessive in a niche world where we admire the beaty of physics and art and skill and analytical thinking and the general beauty of somthing very different from the normal day to day of most people. I do not care for the growth of the community if it means more DBs will be attracted to it.

There is no public perception of what a pinhead is.

The general public does not even realize that pinball machines exist anymore.

Most people who come to my house to play pinball machines say "Oh! I remember those from the 90's".

We have a long, long way to go.

#264 8 years ago

At this point: it does not matter anyways.

The show was pitched, funded, shot, edited, shopped and is now shelved.

Sleep well pinball hobbyists: Pinballers the TV show is not picked up by any major network.

But at least we built a functioning prototype for the people that invested in the product.

I believe that (some) Pinball show will come to a major network in the next 12-24 months. I will support that show, regardless of its format or cast, to the best of my abilities.

#267 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

How long have you been a collector, Jared? I'm getting the impression from what you've been saying that it hasn't been too long. Perhaps that colours your perception?
    Pinball has more public awareness today than it's had since the 1970's. When I started collecting, pinball was something you'd see in a seedy bar or bowling alley, run by an operator who only put them out because he liked them. Auctions were attended only by other operators. Nobody bought new games for their home - nobody. It was a commercial device only.
    Now Stern sells a large portion of their games directly to homes. Barcades are opening up and operating at capacity all over the country. I meet new collectors all the time. There's an entire subculture of people who only buy NIB Sterns. There's more reproduction parts available now than ever before.
    I'm not sure what more exposure gets the hobby at this point.

Maybe you don't know but I work in the marketing department for Stern. I have access to the numbers and I know what's going on.

In the 70s Pinball was billion Dollar industry.

That's my goal. We're going to get it there. A television show is only one piece of the puzzle, there are many pieces and there are many players. But I can see the vision, I can see ahead to the Pinball hobby of 2017 or 2018. The future is very bright.

#319 8 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Generic and just bad. There are much better directions for a show to reveal pinball to the masses......and jared......yikes

Yikes?

How many pinball machines did you see me selling in the sizzle? How many huge wads of cash was I flashing?

Yikes?

Am I frightening?

#325 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

I think that is the root of the problem. Regardless of the format or cast; you will support any pinball program. Because, you think think it is best for the community. And, it doesn't seem that everyone wants you be the voice of the community.

How does me supporting whichever show makes it to a network make me "the voice of the community"?

I would vote Nate Shivers for that role, if anyone cared to assign it.

#327 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

With your need to promote any program regardless of it's negative or positive effects; when I don't think the majority believe your sentiments. Which makes you the leader in promoting potentially bad publicity.

You are speaking hypothetically.

The real life positive or negative effects: do not even exist. There is no show on TV. We are all speculating.

Im not the leader of anything.

If a pinball show came on Discovery, AMC, History etc... no matter how great (or a train wreck) it was, you better believe that it would be a very serious topic of discussion on this forum and elsewhere in the pinball community. And everyone would watch, too.

For a while early in 2015... I thought it was going to be us.

It wasn't.

It may be (someday) or someone else (may) get there too... I (think) that some group will get there soon. I think that (no matter the format) ((even if it was todd tuckey pushing machines off a roof nonstop for 30 minutes every week)) that it would be downstream good effects for pinball overall.

Other share my opinion (most of them not vocal for fear of attacks) ((but thanks for the positive PM's you guys!)), and agree that a show could be great for the hobby.

Perhaps: we will never know.

And if that is the case, you are getting upset about something that never even happened.

#332 8 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

Didn't know Ralphie May had a ginger brother though, so I learned something today. (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Yes you could resist, but you chose not to. Real friendly.

#335 8 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

Hey man, I was like two pages in before I realized. I'm not skinny and I don't dislike you. Besides, resistance is futile unless you're the shortest path to ground. Want to see a picture of how short I am?

It's alright.

I am irritable because this is turning into a 22 hour work day for me. I have been up since 6am Thursday and now it's 4:48am Friday. Right now I am finishing up the show program design files for Pintastic New England. I am sure the baby will want a bottle soon enough. Maybe I will just never sleep, lol.

#352 8 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Jared doesn't realize how annoying he is

We established in the sizzle that I am a sensitive person. That parts not for TV... thats true. So, reading (8 pages) of this has been a little tough for me. I am sure this wont be (anywhere near) the end of it. (Haters love when they see blood)

I would like to remind anyone watching that the show sizzle (which was never shown on television) ((and was never intended to be shown to the public)) contains fictional situations, exaggerated characters and clever editing to portray us in certain ways and make you the viewer, feel certain emotions.

Im not saying I am not annoying at times in real life... I am. What I am saying is that, even I, hid my face in shame and turned red the first time I saw how I looked in the sizzle... even I... wanted to reach through the screen and punch myself in the face. "Emissary of Fun"... lol... like I would actually say that.

I am sorry for anyone who is offended by Lionsgates $60,000+ failed show sizzle idea. We had fun making it.

#362 8 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

Jared, grow some thicker skin man. Anyone who puts themselves in the public eye will have to deal with criticisms. Especially when they come off as self serving. How many times has it been mentioned that the "Sizzle" cost $60,000+? We get it. How many times was Hollywood mentioned? No kidding? Wow! Outside of this forum you'd probably be fun to hang with and play some pinball, but in this thread I'm getting an impression of self importance and it's annoying.

I'm sorry.

#381 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I hope all of you Pinballers will be at the Kiss party Sunday. I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

All us of except Marc I think.

#422 8 years ago

For a show to be financially feasible all cast member must live in proximity to one another so that one film crew (who in some cases flys out from Hollywood to live in that city for 3-8 months) can easily get to them all.

Part of getting a network to agree to a show is them understanding production costs.

In our case, LG TV has a crew based in Dallas for other shows that are currently in production on network so we could utilize them, reducing costs.

I understand and agree that there are the true leaders of this hobby, the innovators, designers and creators. There is no cost effective way to put them all in one show that would be shown each week, nor are all of them camera friendly.

I won't name specific people, but I know for a fact that some designers prefer to not be on camera because they don't have a lot of stage presence.

All kinds of things to consider.

No matter.

#432 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

but anything that can actually make it to market would be a huge step in increasing the awareness of pinball to the masses.

Good to hear someone like you say that. I believe that too.

#434 8 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

Jared, don't take what Josh said TOO literally. I think he meant, "anything [good] that can actually make it to market would be a huge step in increasing the [positive] awareness of pinball to the masses."
    There has to be quality control to ensure positive awareness. Otherwise, Stern would have simply hired somebody like P.T. Barnum instead of you, because P.T. Barnum once said, "I don't care what the newspapers say about me, as long as they spell my name right."
    I don't think Stern would consider the following names for any pinball promotional activities, because of their notoriety and infamy:
    - Orenthal James "O.J." Simpson
    - Lance Edward Armstrong
    - Nicole Elizabeth "Snooki" LaValle
    Barnum probably would have said, "Bravo! You spelled their names right."
    But how is that even REMOTELY applicable to pinball?
    Well, here's another notorious name to add to that list:
    - Mayor Fiorello H. La Guardia
    Along with a few infamous photos in pinball history...
    571816_original.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png

Let him speak for himself.

#443 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

some are in it for fun, and others are in it for money.

That is literally one of my spoken lines from the sizzle.

And it's actually true in real life.

#446 8 years ago

Woke up to an interesting situation.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#448 8 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

What, a guy can't run his group the way he wants? I'm not on any 'side' in this matter, but perhaps you should worry about bigger things than what a private facebook group has to say.

If me or my friends are being discussed in public (or private): I'm interested.

I've seen a lot of interesting stuff, but never been called "scum" and threatened to be banned for a group I've been a member of in good standing for some time for participating in a sizzle reel for a show that didn't even get bought.

#450 8 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

I'm not sure I agree with the decision to kick you out, but one thing is for sure. There has been some great disdain for the show in it's current form. If you do get picked up, hopefully there will be some positive changes that you can make as a result of this thread.

I agree!

You guys only saw 10 minutes, but we cast members knew that the format of the show was intended to be a lot more friendly and more centered on the hobby than back stabbing and monetary exchanges.

The show "could" still get picked up at anytime, but the odds are much lower than when it was being actively pushed by WME and Lionsgate in Hollywood.

This is likely as close as we'll ever get to a pinball TV shown (ourselves) but I think one will get on the air eventually.

We're this show actually to be made, comments and suggestions from this thread would nearly certainly be taken into consideration. Also, the show would have frequent "guests" which could include, well, anyone in the nation.

Traveling around to shows nationally was going to be a big component of the show.

#454 8 years ago
    Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Your not exactly popular on Ls1tech either dude...just saying. I wont post all teh hate threads about you here out of respect for pinside mods.

Big mouth redheaded people rub others the wrong way throughout their lives. It's my curse to live with.

It's gotten a lot better since I've been married and even more so since I've had a kid but the online Jared from 2001 to 2007 still causes animosity to this day.

The upside to all of this is that I certainly do not have a boring life. LOL

#483 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Hey, go check out the latest coast 2 coast -- there's some talk on the Sizzle...
    http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-176-summertime-sizzle-or-dont-shoot-the-pyramid_52095
    -mof

I appreciate his comments. Looking forward to the cast interview show. I don't think I'll be a part of it, but I'm eager to listen anyways. The guys going on there are a lot wiser than me.

#515 8 years ago
    Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

Wow. Lame and full of staged Hollywood drama. A bunch of self serving pricks trying to make money. I honestly think I'm more stupid for having watched this. Still though, it does not change my passion for Pinball.

Thanks for calling me a prick, sir.

#535 8 years ago
    Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Funny how producers have been soliciting socal people and not honey boo boo of pinball so funny.

What are you talking about?

#537 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Molly has been fighting off producers for the last week or so.

I think one day or another, on way or another, a pinball show will end up on TV. Too much interest from producers. Someone is going to break through.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jared.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballers-1?tu=jared and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.