(Topic ID: 131339)

Pinballers!

By Marc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugh (resized).jpg
    image.jpg
    subject.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    pinball_tv.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    EPIC.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png
    571816_original.jpg
    119673442.jpg
    763_4944_ucp.jpg
    led_kiss.gif
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 8 years ago

I thought the clip was well produced. I know enough about "reality" tv to know how it works. "Characters" are created, situations manipulated, so I'm not expecting a documentary.

This show isn't made for "us", it's made for joe blow public, so you have to create a simple entertaining show.

Good luck to everyone involved.

#227 8 years ago

If it's any consolation to everyone critical of the sizzle - they tried their best to make a show that a tv network would buy, ie: kept it in the mold of storage wars, etc, and it never got picked up.

I'd be curious the reasons WHY though... is that format played out? Is pinball too niche to bother with?

#230 8 years ago

I do understand the challenge - this isn't about what YOU want to see on TV. This is about a tv production business trying to make what they THINK a network will want to BUY.

So even though most here aren't a fan of what that sizzle is, I understand the logic of trying to create a show they think they can sell.

And even with that cynical attempt, it still didn't sell. So, pretty tough.

#242 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

there's a genuineness to SWL that's far more compelling than a constantly in-your-face super-contrived scripted reality can ever hope for.

I think our hope lies in future documentaries, for that reason. Give us 75-90 minutes of "real" pinball. Stretch it to 22 episodes of 30 minutes, well, then you've really got to amp up the drama.

#396 8 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

King of Kong

King of Kong actually isn't a bad comparison. A completely fabricated and edited storyline, but that stortline made it a hit movie and look at the positive exposure that gave Twin Galaxies and video gaming, and Bill Mitchel is a big name now despite being edited as the villain.

Chasing Ghosts which featured all the same people and presented more as a documentary never had the commercial success KoK had.

#407 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

He WAS banned from the local facebook page "DFW Pinball and Arcade Club" and their events, which by their very nature now must be non-IFPA tournaments since there's no way to have an IFPA tournament and keep someone out.

Wow. So they'd sooner give up their IFPA sanctioning than have him back? That is some local drama.

1 week later
    #451 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

a show that didn't even get bought.

It seems people keep forgetting this part. So essentially we're talking about a 10 minute internet video. Should we start combing youtube and freaking out about every little video on there we don't like?

Everyone should take a chill pill and save their freak outs for an actual show that is on TV.

1 year later
    #580 7 years ago

If I were to face the 2 shows off against each other, Pinballers as ridiculous and staged as we know it was certainly presented a more "entertaining" show for the masses.

That Pinballers, with all their fake drama couldn't find a buyer, I am not sure if there will ever be a TV show for pinball. Short of actual competition being broadcast, which still could be a viable thing. If darts can get on TV, then it's just a matter of time for us.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballers-1?tu=frolic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.