(Topic ID: 131339)

Pinballers!

By Marc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugh (resized).jpg
    image.jpg
    subject.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    pinball_tv.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    EPIC.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png
    571816_original.jpg
    119673442.jpg
    763_4944_ucp.jpg
    led_kiss.gif
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#400 8 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I was offered a contract for this show. Not quite what you think.

Yes, the contracts for this were effectively selling yourself into slavery for a year. In the OFF CHANCE that the thing went multiple seasons, you might make some bucks...course, they might just kick your ass to the curb and find some other schmuck to sign up for a year with a pipe dream of another season before they're in the money too. The whole idea was that if it took off, the "group" would try and force the hand of the producers, basically say "we're not going along with this contract, it sucks, we want a new one with better pay".

I did the math on it, they basically wanted unlimited access to all aspects of my life and for me to be available to them without any notice at all, did not want to pay my wife for appearing on the show, we didn't want the kids to be on camera, and the producer is such a ditz he couldn't even provide us a valid place to send him the intro video we were requested to record and wasted hours on. Basically, they were asking me to work more than full time, tell my primary job to go screw dogs while I was off shooting ridiculous TV episodes, and all for less pay than I make BEFORE overtime at my current job, which is laughable. Not to mention that I was basically going to be cast as the "dickhead", which no doubt would be AWESOME for future potential jobs, right?

Here's my honest opinion of each of the people involved. I think you'll be able to tell that the producers did not do a fantastic job of taking the strong points of each of these people and making it something immediately interesting to those outside the hobby...

Jared - Going to write the most about Jared, because I frankly have talked to him and been around him more than the other people involved, and that he's far more active on Pinside than anyone else on the list. Regardless of whose "fault" it was, Jared's direct actions and attitudes clashing with "the establishment" early in the hobby that basically destroyed any sense of community we had in Dallas between competition and non-competition players due to the interactions between him and a few other people. The competition players have gotten over the whole damn thing, and we all still hang out and talk and go to league and do things. The non-comp players? It's a miracle if I have seen the vast majority of these people more than twice in the last year. Most of them turned into cave hermits after "The Jared Incident", including the moderators of our local groups. These "casuals" don't hold events, don't plan events, don't bring new people into the hobby, and for all intents and purposes basically DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the community at large anymore. Was -that- good for the hobby? Nope. Could the whole situation have been avoided by two or three people realizing that their actions were fueling this inferno? Yep. Is Jared one of those people? Yep. Jared is a marketing guy, to the BONE. That will never change, and anyone that thinks they can change that behavior at this point is really just a moron on every possible level. He does shit on a ridiculous level, and yeah, it doesn't always go according to plan (truck height.. ) but at least he is doing SOMETHING, which is more than I can say for a lot of people. Love or hate his attitude, it won't really matter in the end. I've gone back and forth on it several times myself. Won't change anything at all what you decide, as he is going to do what he wants to do....which is to frequently be over the top, both in his personal manner and with his events. If you think Jared is much different in person than in his online "persona".....lol....not so much.

Craig - The less I say here the better. We don't get along. At all. He tried to get me in on the show, I was interested enough to shoot the intro footage after talking to him and Marc, it didn't go any further. Craig shows up to league nights, occasionally to other tourney stuff. He's capable of fixing games, doing maintenance and playfield swaps. Will take consignments from "non-hobby" people and fix and sell their games and take a cut. Other than that.... I have him on ignore here and facebook.

Marc - I'm pretty sure for a while Marc was the most evil'est guy in DFW to me, because he bought every damn pin I tried to go after, it seemed like. He offered an honest opinion to me about the show and the proposed contracts after Craig tried to enlist me. Marc buys and sells games, and AFAIK, has a metric SH-TON of projects in storage somewhere that he gradually pulls from, fixes them up, and sells them at TPF and from his company Elevation Games. I'm pretty sure we've come to a mutual understanding that we're both dickheads that don't tend to pull punches, and in my book, I'd rather deal with brutal honesty than a two-faced jack---, so we're all good. The interaction shown between him and Barry is not something that would NOT actually surprise me to see off-camera, but as stated elsewhere, they know each other, and this *is* Texas...

Rusty and Shelley - Seriously, you want to talk about people dedicated to the hobby....you don't even know. They're not real active here, but they are two of the most arcade/pinball dedicated people I have ever known. Their house is a shrine to gaming in a way that pisses me off.....because it's not mine. They are serious socialite/partier type people, which at least in this area is sorely lacking, especially as of the last two years. If you ever get invited to anything they're running, you can pretty much be assured that something awesome is going down and they are 100% invested in the idea of whatever crazy theme it is this time around. Both are incredibly smart. And they are totally bringing the jello shots.

Ed - Frankly, out of this group of people I've probably spent the least amount of time talking to Ed, which is almost ironic considering that he runs TPF, which is just bonkers. I don't know how the hell he finds the time to build a MM, plan and organize the cluster-f that is TPF, buy and sell games, build a Cactus Canyon, and have a full time job and 3 (Is that right?) kids? Good lord. I can barely handle my 2 kids and one league night a week. Not afraid to mince words that I've ever seen, but also is not "in your face" in the way that Jared would be....he knows where his limits are due to his deep association with TPF, and what to keep close to the vest. The show is presenting him as a restorer? Well, okay...yeah, he's done that. He built Medieval from scratch, and like I said, is working on CC. He's more than capable of filling that title in real life.

Steve / FUN! - Fun doesn't have auctions at the store, much less for single machines...what the hell was that? LOL. I've sold a game to FUN, I've never bought a game from them, not directly anyways. I bought a game from TPF, who gets their tourney game NIBs from FUN, so technically my Metallica came from them as the distributor. They have been having some local events for new game launches recently, which has actually attracted a ton of people that don't typically show up for launch party tournaments....to the degree it was actually hard to get a game in. Met a lot of new people last time I was there for one of those. Ultimately, they're a retail business, and they're going to do what they need to do to stay in business. I don't have any beef with what they do as a business, but I share the sentiments with some other posts on this thread....trying to make it look like a non-HEP restored Monster Bash is worth 12k+ at a fake auction that never even happened is just.....ugh....

#404 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'd like to hear more about this "Jared Incident".

Really? Because I'd place money that it's far more likely you're just looking for something to troll.

Quoted from mrgone:

the producer is yet another Hollywood knucklehead that knows nothing about pinball

I don't know the first damn thing about Damien other than he is completely internet incompetent.

#406 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Just curious what he could have done to upset people so much. I've had other people mention him being banned from the local league for example.

He was never banned from the local *league*. I should know, since my wife and I ran it last year, and have attended 90% of this year. We had a set number of spaces available for our league. Jared, along with several others, expressed interest and did not make it to a majority of the events. Jared DID host one of our league nights, which went awesome and was the highest attendance all year (the guy is absolutely hated, I tell you what!) if I'm not mistaken. This year, Xerico is running an open league (which I can't do because of space limitations of my tiny condo!) at a local location, Jared has shown up 2-3 times, but he's also got a new baby, and I didn't even leave my house to associate with the public for like 2 months after my kid was born, so I can't even fathom all the work and attention that a preemie has taken.

He WAS banned from the local facebook page "DFW Pinball and Arcade Club" and their events, which by their very nature now must be non-IFPA tournaments since there's no way to have an IFPA tournament and keep someone out. Go figure that they no longer have any events. You want dirt, you're going to have to go talk to the facebook club mods. They couldn't ever be arsed to post exactly why it was that one person was banned when nobody else ever had been, or has been since. Frankly, I think if you're going to that length you shouldn't be such a coward about saying EXACTLY what was said, verbatim, but hey...what do I know. I'm not a mod...I'm just the guy that spent all last year getting people out of their houses and into pinball tournaments. Clearly, I'm too busy to understand.

#409 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Wow. So they'd sooner give up their IFPA sanctioning than have him back? That is some local drama.

They didn't care about tournaments in the first place. As far as I know, since I have been involved in pinball, Marcus, Ken, or myself have run 99.5% of the tournaments. I can't even remember the last time someone other than that hosted a tournament and actually handled the administrative part of actually running the tournament.

Quoted from Xerico:

He is not banned from real life events.

That's news to me, so I guess I stand corrected. They definitely tried to..but I'm not sure how they ever intended to enforce it when the vast majority of events were in public spaces.

#411 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Yeah. Basically the ban was enforced by simply not inviting Jared. But then they would invite the entire FB membership and the hosts of the event typically did not object to Jared attending, thus killing any ban attempt.
    Marcus

Thanks for the clarification.

And...

LOL.

1 week later
    #459 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Yes, it was staged, but it was loosely based on a true story.

What, the one where Jennifer and I got the tip off about the JD in the dumpster, then Bill showed up to help us strip it of all parts since the backglass and playfield were gone? Where the hell's my royalties, man?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-things-you-just-cant-make-up-dumpster-parts

#461 8 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

The next auction is in thirty minutes, right?

Grapefruit vodka jello shots WHAT?

#492 8 years ago

Funny that mention about competitive pinball angle, since that was a large portion of the introduction video that my wife and I shot and never could get to Damien via any channel other than some no-name uploader site that never worked. I don't think it would've saved the thing to have that angle involved, FWIW.

#499 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

arcade kardashians

You are so far off base with that statement I don't even know how to respond fully without getting banned.

*Edit* Uh, for the record, apparently there is some confusion... I am NOT a member of the sizzle reel. I was not on it, nor was any footage shot of me.

#505 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

I have no idea where you got the idea I was attacking you.

You're not. You're attacking my friends. My friends who are WAY the hell more intelligent than I am, and more than most people I know....which is nothing like the Kardashians. Rusty and Shelly might be "socalites" in that regard, but they are not the hulking pile of stupidity that you compared them to.

It's the choice of comparison that I have an issue with. I'm not going to stick my neck out to defend the sizzle reel or even the show concept, but when it comes to the people I know that are involved (short of one or two), some of the crap being said is totally ridiculous.. especially given that you don't know *any* of them. Go after Damien. It's clear from the C2C podcast that things were edited as he saw fit, and that people were cast/edited in unexpected light.

1 year later
    #586 7 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

...and hey, we all do jello shots before an auction!

To be fair...

It would not surprise me if Cidco and the wife actually did this. They have the best damn parties, you don't even know!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballers-1?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.