(Topic ID: 131339)

Pinballers!

By Marc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugh (resized).jpg
    image.jpg
    subject.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    pinball_tv.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    EPIC.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png
    571816_original.jpg
    119673442.jpg
    763_4944_ucp.jpg
    led_kiss.gif
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballHelp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 8 years ago

I was also contacted by a big-time producer on the idea of doing a pinball enthusiast-themed reality show. We went back and forth for months, but they were interested in sticking to a specific formula: pit people against each other and turn it into a competition, value everything in dollars, and amplify conflict and confrontation.

I wanted to focus on the more positive aspects of the hobby: the history, the culture, the restoration and talent and technique, and show people in positive, uplifting ways, as opposed to shoe-horning an ensemble into standard stereotypes (the asshole, the thinker, the doer, the idiot, the goofy couple, etc.)

I don't want to contribute to the further dumbing down of our hobby and the industry in general. So I declined to participate.

It's really depressing to see them glorify and celebrate what is unethical behavior, people sniping and undermining each other over Craigslist deals (and the worst part is none of those people need the money - they all have more lucrative day jobs). I know some people consider that "fair game" but the best times for me in the pinball hobby are when I'm dealing with people who are exactly the opposite of that.

So yea, I can see it being entertaining, but at the expense of further marginalizing what this hobby is about.

I see Barry in there but he's not a regular player? He's probably the most entertaining guy in DFW - you could do a show just about him, but perhaps he wouldn't "play ball" the way they wanted to play?

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

It isn't painting anything in any light. It is showing just a new spin on the same old story. Hobby. Deals. Flip. Buy. Sell. Trump up some drama. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

You might not believe this, but the way things are done in Texas isn't the way things are done everywhere else.

#120 8 years ago

I know it's very easy to do these formulaic shows, and basically, my impression is, those who are doing this are just cranking this shit out to make a buck. It's probably antithetical to the job and the industry to care that much about the long-term impact of what you're doing. Hollywood doesn't care. In my state, there's now a huge influx of movie productions going on, and I'm making out like a bandit renting equipment and pinball machines, but they don't give a crap about Louisiana - it's just the tax breaks. It's all about money. And in today's hyper-consumer, hyper-materialistic society, that strategy works.

They say, "This is what people want. We give them what they want. They want clowns, and explosions, and people 'striking it rich.'"

Producers talk as if they're slaves to public opinion, as if they don't have any way to influence public opinion. The fact is, you can put anything on tv and if you run it long enough, it will be a classic, no matter what it is. If you give it time to mature and develop, it can be successful. But nobody really wants to take chances, because they're really in it more for the money. So their idea of a "good show" is a show about other people "who are in it for the money."

And IMO, that's the kind of society we create when this is what we call "reality."

Not every activity has to be a competition with a winner and a loser.

Not every value of a person's accomplishments needs to be measured in dollars.

Not everybody is motivated by "beating" someone else.

But you wouldn't know it watching these shows, or that "sizzle."

#124 8 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

This show looks fucking stupid. There... feedback for the executive producer.

I hope you guys realize that the pinball community hating this show is probably a very positive thing for them.

Do you think anyone in whatever industry these reality shows do thinks favorably of that show? Do you think other duck call manufacturers like "Duck Dynasty" or other crab fishermen go, "Yea, Deadliest Catch is exactly how we roll!"

It reminds me of the team that did "Special When Lit" - nobody seemed to notice that they never screened the movie for pinball enthusiasts. We were the last to see the movie because it was at our expense more than it was intended to pay homage to what we do. This show is exactly the same. They just want some dancing monkeys and they found them. That's not to say, I don't understand the motivation to be in the show. The publicity can create a second major career for some people, HOWEVER that all depends on the type of deal they get. The Reality TV producers now have contracts that are insanely restrictive. I have had two friends be on reality tv shows and in order to go on, they had to give up huge chunks of equity in their own lives and future potential business generated via the show. It would be interesting to see what kind of contract Jared and the guys signed, because it might make JPop's look tame.

#133 8 years ago

I wonder if they'd have issues with IP releases showing pictures of certain-themed pinball machines? That could be a deal killer.

The next thing you know, all the games people are finding are weird un-licensed 70s-era Gottliebs with ambiguous names.

#152 8 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

I'm really surprised at the low down hatred and bigotry being said about us. Most of which my those I've never spoken a word with in the past.

Hatred and bigotry? Huh?

That's seems a bit dramatic. Hey, are the cameras rolling and nobody told us?

Although I do see a bit of misogyny and patriarchy in the show:

Screenshot from 2015-06-24 13:23:23.pngScreenshot from 2015-06-24 13:23:23.png

big tata mud-flap girls and gunz! Woo hoo!!! Pin-bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwl!

Just because some people object to the characterization of pinball enthusiasts in certain ways doesn't mean they "hate" anything or are a bigot. It's just someone else's opinion. I wish you guys weren't so defensive that every time someone disagrees with you, you think they "hate" you. I don't hate anybody. I don't think the show sucks even. I just am disappointed it looks just like "Storage Wars" but with pinball machines and extra testosterone.

#180 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cidco:

I'm sorry if my shirt offended you. It's actually a parody of those silhouette girls on mudflaps based on Rose McGowan's character from the movie Planet Terror. Maybe you didn't recognize it because you haven't seen the movie, but either way I'll be sure and let my wife know that she's contributing to patriarchy and misogyny though. Since she's the one that bought the shirt for me. She's also the only woman in the cast and usually one of the few women at any pinball event. So she will probably be pretty surprised when she finds out she's been keeping women down this whole time.

I wasn't offended by it. It takes a lot to offend me. I was just tossing that up in response to the odd claim that some people here are "bigoted" towards people on the show. I think the "mudflap girl"-motif isn't necessarily a respectful image, but personally I think there are bigger fish to fry in terms of gender equality, BUT I could see how some women may feel the image overtly sexualizes their gender and contributes to patriarchy.

It's no big deal to me, but I can see others reacting less-favorably. Whether your wife bought you the shirt or not doesn't change how some people perceive that symbolism. Let's just say it's not necessarily a "welcome sign" for women, especially at a time when there's a big discussion about Pinside and the pinball community sending very mixed messages about females.

#186 8 years ago
    Quoted from BarrySanders:

Yes Cidco. I M very offended by your shirt and you should take it off. very , very slowly. And do a spin for me.
    By the way , the ' old guy with the cane ' is kinda hot too. ( and he is in his 40's)

Ok Barry, what's the deal? Why were you not a major player in that show? I saw you hovering around, but is there a reason why you weren't selected as one of the main cast members? Did you not want to participate? I think you're a one-man-reality-show

#202 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cidco:

It's not my responsibility to make sure everyone understands all my shirts

Really dude, you need to relax. Nobody was accusing you of anything.

I guess I should be happy I'm not in Texas right now or you'd have shot me dead, and had a good case for "standing your ground." Feeling quite threatened that someone made a snarky comment about your t-shirt. I'll be careful to avoid doing that again before I've had my 8am Jello shot.

Yet another example of how some people on Pinside can't f*ing deal with any criticism without feeling like they're being persecuted. You people need to relax. A discussion of your t-shirt is not an indictment of your value as a human being. Jeeeze Louise!

For the record, congrats on getting as far as you have. Good for you! Not everybody is going to like the idea for the show. And that's O.K. Take a deep breath. But whether you want to admit it or not, the theme that the short video promotes is a somewhat cliche'd stereotype that doesn't represent many other enthusiasts. Different strokes for different folks.

#208 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I can safely say I've never been at an auction with Jell-O shots. You guys made the choice to "bro it up" like that, so that speaks to how you'd like to be perceived.

Jell-O shots at 8am no less. lol

Anyway, a sincere CONGRATS to you guys who participated in it. It's totally cool no matter what.

But you have to expect we're going to make fun of it. It's so cliché it's irresistible. Don't take it personally.

Hey Mr. Producer here are some ideas for future episodes if you guys go into production:

* The guys trade a Baywatch for a giant trebuchet and launch bowling balls at a field full of Toyota Priuses.

* A barn find of a "Ted Nugent" pin reveals it's too far gone, so Jarod creates a party where as the main attraction, it's filled with tannerite and a ninja turtle shoots a flaming arrow at it, causing it to explode. Special guest appearance by Ted Nugent who signs everybody's Cliffys.

* Someone thinks they spot John Papadiuk at a local Toys 'R Us and a mad scramble ensues for everyone to grab their Translites and get him to sign them before he's incarcerated. Turns out it wasn't JPop, but special guest: Paulie Shore, who has a Dr. Dude he needs restored.

* Heartwarming Christmas Episode: The guys mod a special version of STTNG featuring all bald crewmembers to go in the cancer ward of a local Children's Hospital. After a protracted argument, Marc agrees to put the machine on free play.

* A Junkyard pinball machine is transformed into a 9/11 tribute to firefighters and veterans. It's presented to Donald Trump.

* The guys run into problems blowing fuses because of all the mods they've put on games.

#213 8 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

People (the masses) want to be enthralled by inter personal dynamics of the "characters" and the base story line, be it pinball or cars or whatever ends up in the background.

Personally, I really like your "character." It is a prototypical character, but I think you do that role better than others in other reality shows. My personal experience with you is that you're an ok guy, so I found the acting pretty good. Perhaps a more interesting discussion here would be how you all feel about where such a show would go? What would you do if you had full control? To what degree were you being yourselves verses what you felt you needed to be in order to have a marketable product?

#283 8 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

The best part of this show would be the set-up of undercover cameras when buying off cl sellers, oh boy...That should be good!!

ROFL... You do realize all of that is staged right? Everything is staged.

Has it ever occurred to you for example, while watching "American Pickers" how when they go knocking on someone's door, everyone they meet appears to have a wireless microphone and transmitter attached to them? What a coincidence!

#288 8 years ago
    Quoted from GoBlue:

What is with all the hate?

I don't see any "hate" here.

Some people may or may not be that excited about the show. There's a difference between not being a fan, and "hating."

Anybody here actually hate the guys? Anybody looking to track down the producers and hurt them? Does anybody feel that strongly about it?

Why is it people think you either have to love them or hate them. There is no room in the middle?

As others have pointed out, there are a hundred shows about people pulling old things out of garages and making money off them. Some of us think there's more to pinball than that, but the trailer seemed to center around that.

I wish everybody involved luck. If the show does gain more traction, I hope it goes a more creative, positive route myself - rather than fixating on one-upsmanship and flipping games to make money. It's just that "flippers" are probably only 0.01% of the industry, and the least-celebrated type of collectors, and yet that's what the show seems to be about. Ask anybody here if we need to glorify that aspect of collecting and whether that's going to be a boon to the hobby? Not being excited about that doesn't mean "hatred."

#291 8 years ago
    Quoted from GoBlue:

Here are a couple on the first page.

I think they're just trolls.

Real hate requires more effort than barfing out a contrary opinion.

That's not to say I haven't seen some actual hatred in the pinball community, but expressing an unfavorable opinion isn't usually the primary component of that.

Anyway, I get what you're saying. I just think of "hatred" as something more substantive. I don't know if those critics are that passionate one way or another.

Admittedly I'm a bit sensitive to that term, since I was repeatedly called a "hater" for questioning the legitimacy of JPop's ability to make pinball machines early on.

#303 8 years ago

My friend Lewis came up with some additional stories for future episodes:

1> 'El Dorado' machine bought from a thrift store for $300 with a locked coin door is unexpectedly found to contain a gold krugerrand jammed in the coin mech after the barrel lock is drilled out.

2> Gottlieb 'Haunted House' game salvaged from side of road after Katrina is ACTUALLY haunted, leading to an exorcism ceremony during the restoration process. Cameo appearance by Bobby Jindal.

3> Hacking deep into the firmware of Stern's 'Metallica' game reveals an entire unreleased studio recording featuring Cliff Burton that the band will go to great lengths to keep from being shared on the internet - leading to a surprise appearance by Lars Ulrich and his lawyer!

#311 8 years ago

Just remember, "Here comes Honey Boo Boo" went four seasons and they made millions.

So nobody involved in Pinballers shouldn't think for a minute that anybody's opinion here has any bearing on whether the show is picked up or successful. Anything is possible.

Oh.. and here's another plot storyline for a future episode courtesy of my friend Lewis:

* A Williams 'Bad Cats' is bought in a warehouse raid and turns out to have a litter of live kittens living inside - two of which have actually learned how to cooperatively work the flippers and play the game - at least, right up until the 'dog barking' sound sample plays!

#369 8 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Honey Boo Boo made millions ? How do you know that ? I was offered a contract for this show. Not quite what you think. What do you think Dance Mom made..... because I know that number. She worked 5 years and just renewed her contract. What do you think she made during that 5 years ?

Absolutely Honey Boo Boo made millions. Probably not for the cast members, but for the producers.

I have been on three reality tv shows, auditioned for the Apprentice and Real World. I have three friends who are currently on reality tv shows: two ghost ones and another about thrift store hunting. Some can make good money, but most of the contracts are crappy. I was just trying to be supportive. But some reality shows are more or less "real." Others are total fabrications. I think we can guess which is which.

#370 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

At least he's trying to make pinball more fun.
    This, his KISS Party, Stern's Facebook page.
    Ignore him if you like. I appreciate that he is trying, like many people. To make pinball a little bit better.
    LTG : )

Hey, remember "No good deed goes unpunished" around here.. lol

I think it's important that people not take stuff too personally. Everybody exaggerates the degree of their emotion in an online atmosphere like this. I don't think anybody wishes failure for anybody (or I'd hope not)

#392 8 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

So odd that the pinball community is on the brink of having its first nationally televised show on TV and instead of being behind it, yall are against it.

With all due respect...

Do you think Deadliest Catch is about crab fishing? Isn't it often more about people getting their hands crushed, power struggles and bar fights. You think it's made the crab industry better?

Do you think Hell's Kitchen is about cooking? Or more about watching a middle-aged tyrant scream at young people until they cry?

Do you think American Idol is about singing? Or is it more about watching people screw up until one person is left that will be packaged into a product and sold like a commodity by a multi-national media company?

Do you think Storage Wars is about storage auctions? And not, "Let's see these greedy vultures mess with each other in order to make a buck over someone else's financial hardship?"

Or Hardcore Pawn is really about the pawn business, and not "Let's watch this store owner bully a belligerent customer."

Or Ice Road Truckers being about trucking? Instead of, "Let's watch the big rig crash and the hot chick handle a big stick."

Why does anybody think reality tv is about anything more than trainwrecks, sex and money? They are all the same basically. They're not there to really educate you. Almost every one is about either watching people unravel, or seeing them try to make more money than they deserve.

I wonder, would it really be that boring to do more shows about normal stuff? The world may never know.

#442 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I would much rather start a conversation about pinball with someone who saw a show and couldn't believe how stupid it was, and then fill them in on the 'real' pinball world . . . compared to the blank stares I get from my wife's relatives when we talk pinball.

I get it. Any publicity is good publicity. But you also have to ask yourself, are you attracting the *right* kind of people to the hobby?

There's been a lot of discussion about that - it's probably the main underlying issue between so much conflict that is going on today between various factions, competitors, hobbyists, collectors, flippers, pinside, RGP, other groups, etc.... not every type of "enthusiast" necessarily helps the hobby. Certain types tend to run off other types.

I like that our community is so diverse, but it also has its share of people who exploit others or routinely get taken advantage of, people who want to learn, and others who want to profit; some are in it for fun, and others are in it for money. Obviously we need a bit of everyone to make the scene prosper, but sometimes I worry about how certain factions show so little respect for others in the hobby, and I wonder if how our hobby and industry is portrayed exacerbates this problem?

1 week later
    #524 8 years ago

I'll take "Reality TV" for 800 Alex...

Quoted from Jared:

You guys only saw 10 minutes, but we cast members knew that the format of the show was intended to be a lot more friendly and more centered on the hobby than back stabbing and monetary exchanges.

What is "What has every person who's ever starred in a reality tv show says".

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballHelp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballers-1?tu=PinballHelp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.