(Topic ID: 131339)

Pinballers!

By Marc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugh (resized).jpg
    image.jpg
    subject.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    pinball_tv.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    EPIC.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png
    571816_original.jpg
    119673442.jpg
    763_4944_ucp.jpg
    led_kiss.gif
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Olddragon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#383 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cidco:

There's a reason I haven't commented in this thread until now. Everyone is arguing whether the show, that still will most likely never even see the light of day, is good or bad for the pinball community. Obviously I wouldn't be involved in it if I thought it would be bad. But at the end of the day no one, not even the cast can predict the future. So I've just been sitting here reading everyone's comments, laughing at some shaking my head at others. I'm perfectly content to let everyone air their opinions about the show...up to a point.
    I chose to wear that T-shirt over a year ago (way before any big discussion on Pinside about women) because I was going to hang out with my friends (who are all adults) and play pinball. Something that really hasn't been talked about is that we shot the majority of the footage ourselves. The professional camera crew was only here for a few days. So whenever we got together with other pinball players there was an opportunity to get more footage. I knew there was a chance we might shoot some video that night, but I also knew the only people that would ever see it would be my friends and people involved in the buying and selling of the show. Even if my friends didn't get the Planet Terror reference they know I'm not an asshole and anyone in the entertainment industry would get the reference and probably crack a smile. There was very little chance it would ever end up somewhere it could be misconstrued...I thought.
    I'm not going to go back and read everything Jared wrote when he posted the link to the sizzle. But I thought he made it quite clear this isn't a final version of an episode. So if people are going to start critiquing clothing I hope you go after the font choices next. I know someone has already criticized some of the music, which I can guarantee you would never end up in actual episode because it would have to be licensed. Again, please talk all the trash you want just understand what you are looking at before you comment on it. I assure you there are plenty of actually relevant good and bad points to talk about without resorting to critiquing people's clothing, home decor, or similar things that have no bearing because they won't be in the final product. Assuming there even is a final product.
    It's not my responsibility to make sure everyone understands all my shirts, otherwise I'm gonna be spending a lot of time explaining geeky things to people I don't even know. Although I would never wear that shirt if we were actually shooting something that would be televised. I'm not trying to oppress anybody. I'm just trying to play some pinball and have a good time.
    Speaking of which, I'm heading home from work now so that I can setup the ScoreGasm Master that my wife not only allowed me to purchase, but prodded me to. I'm married to an awesome woman who is the definition of strong, so when someone insinuates that she or I have some part in misogyny without even knowing either of us it kind of gets my dander up. Carry on the muckraking fellas...

I hope that for your sake you can develop a thicker skin if your show ends up on TV...

#386 8 years ago

I thought the editing in the sizzle was good. The content is typical scripted reality show fluff. Would I watch it? Yes! It's about pinball and pinball personalities!

Is it good for the pinball hobby? Probably not. The sizzle's underlying theme is competitive greed. There is very little pinball actually in the show. I'm not in this hobby because I like to flip games... it's because I like to play pinball. Most of the sizzle was about turning a profit. I do not want to be associated with "turning a buck" in my hobby. I also want to be able to afford the hobby.

The personal ridicule for the show's participants is uncalled for in this thread (some of it was sarcastic but others... I'm not so sure). I don't know any of these people personally, but I'm certainly not going to judge them from an edited, staged, scripted made-for-TV sizzle.

I just hope that, if this show ever does get picked up, we can see some real pinball enthusiast content and not typical story lines where the pinball machines can be replaced with custom cars, rare baseball cards, or an attic find of Civil War paraphernalia. Flipping is certainly a chapter but it should not be the entire book.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Olddragon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballers-1?tu=Olddragon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.