(Topic ID: 131339)

Pinballers!

By Marc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugh (resized).jpg
    image.jpg
    subject.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    pinball_tv.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    EPIC.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png
    571816_original.jpg
    119673442.jpg
    763_4944_ucp.jpg
    led_kiss.gif
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Marc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 8 years ago

Craig,

I think critiques are appropriate if not desired. A simple yes or no is fine but debate, yes debate is entertaining. If you like it cool, if you hate it cool, if you think it will sink the hobby cool, if you think it will elevate awareness and want Jared as your poster child, well....

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Hassle is Craig. Those jackwagons are all locals down here. Marc, Craig and Barry were all in the reel. They're all Hollywood now.

Yeah but I still answer your call. You are my favorite, even with that avatar.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

Nothing says "this guy is the bad guy" more than having multiple shots of him burping.

Haha, dude that's just my ulcer. It's all day everyday.

#155 8 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

He'll be okay, he's out of the black Monster now.

LOL! Ah, Facebook.

#209 8 years ago

I made a similar post at the same time as this one, just basically the link, on an offroad forum (another hobby I have) and I find the two post fascinating.

Here on the pinball forum (the pinball people) the majority have a distaste for the "show" with a resounding clamor of fear of rising prices and public perception.

While on the offroad forum (the average Joe that is not into pinball), all be it a much smaller thread and understandably so, not one person had a negative thing to say about it and most said they found it entertaining and would watch it.

The reality is that what was portrayed in that sizzle is what sells, and people make TV to make money. If a Hollywood exec thought watching Bowen narrating himself playing pinball would sell that's where the focus would be, it's not (although I like watching Bowen's videos). Sharpe would have to comment but I would imagine even his Sizzle that he doesn't want to show has a fair amount of drama (be it manufactured or otherwise) because that is what is required to appeal to the masses. Pinside is not the masses. People (the masses) want to be enthralled by inter personal dynamics of the "characters" and the base story line, be it pinball or cars or whatever ends up in the background. The point that someone made, something to the effect that the pinball hobby doesn't need a TV show. He is correct, it also doesn't need Stern or Pinside or RGP or Expo or all the people profiting from designing mods or tournaments, pinball doesn't need any of this....unless you want it to thrive and grow. This hobby (any hobby) exist because of capitalism, a TV show is merely an extension of that capitalism. You don't have to like it but like it or not the exposure is good.

#252 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

At the expense of ruining the hobby for those of us genuinely interested in it. Seems like a Faustian bargain to me.

A serious question and not just trying to argue. How does it ruin the hobby for you?

I am genuinely into pinball, I have sought out and restored rare games because of my enjoyment of the hobby, I go to different pinball shows because of my enjoyment of the hobby, I have pins in my house because of the enjoyment of the hobby, my enjoyment of the hobby is what got me into buying and selling pins. I did not sign on to this project to ruin the pinball hobby and it's going to end up as an agree to disagree thing but I can in no way see something like this ruining the pinball hobby.

#258 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

People watch this show and think there's easy money in flipping pins.
    Suddenly Craigslist is swamped with overpriced garbage. Auctions prices soar as people rush to buy games to flip. The market is flooded with bad "blow and glow" restos designed to look good quickly and cheaply. Way more deadbeats and douchebags sticking their fingers in trying to profit.
    When you focus on the money, it ruins it for everyone. Remember comics in the 90s? Baseball cards? How about the collapse of the collector car market?

Fair enough, it would appear that the hobby for you is about money. So yes, in that regard a show like this could potentially ruin the pinball hobby for you.

#350 8 years ago
    Quoted from graystarsfan1:

In my opinion its really dumb. But they did get Marc right. Complete ahole.

You should introduce yourself to me someday, and please mention your post when you do. Just so I have a point of reference. If we've already met I'd really enjoy meeting you again.

2 weeks later
    #529 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

The mistake they made was this: they just posted the link with no context. No explanation of the sizzle reel and what they were going for. They easily could have let pinside know more background but when you stand in front of a hobby and act like you speak for it, people go nuts.

I purposely posted it the way I did with no explanation or grand portrayal because I wanted an honest reaction to it. There was at least one of us on the cast that wanted to make a huge grandiose post, well I didn't want the reaction tainted or guided.

As I said in the c2c interview, if anyone on the cast takes what is said here (or anywhere) to heart they should have never put themselves out there to begin with. I for one have absolutely zero regrets for doing this project, it was a very fun experience that I can at the very least say I got to try.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Marc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballers-1?tu=Marc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.