Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 587 posts
  • 190 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hassellcastle
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugh (resized).jpg
    image.jpg
    subject.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    pinball_tv.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    EPIC.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png
    571816_original.jpg
    119673442.jpg
    763_4944_ucp.jpg
    led_kiss.gif
    image.jpg

There are 587 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, I think a show about tournament players & competition would do more to generate the kind of interest you'd really want to cultivate. Rather than encouraging more people to hawk craigslist in search of ways to make a quick buck.

I think a competition-based show would be fun, but in order to make it appealing to ... let's say "normal" people, you'd have to do a lot more than just present it like a sporting event, focused on actual rounds of pinball. Find some real over the top characters and play up various dramatic angles. King of Kong style. Be a little goofy with it. Present it as entertainment with a competitive angle, rather than a straight serious competition. That would be my idea for a pinball show.

#52 6 years ago

Of course I'd watch it. And I would hope it would (somewhat) accurately represent the hobby and some of the various characters involved. You've got to admit, we do have some interesting folks in this hobby. However, when it starts to get too 'staged' - or fake, like finding the Kiss in the dumpster, or creating conflict for the sake of drama, that's when I get turned off. Pinball on TV - sure! The real housewives and husbands of Pinball - no thanks.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I think a competition-based show would be fun, but in order to make it appealing to ... let's say "normal" people, you'd have to do a lot more than just present it like a sporting event, focused on actual rounds of pinball. Find some real over the top characters and play up various dramatic angles. King of Kong style. Be a little goofy with it. Present it as entertainment with a competitive angle, rather than a straight serious competition. That would be my idea for a pinball show.

Would be easy to work in history/trivia stuff too - as you could discuss details of whatever game they were playing, etc. Even if you didn't follow top tier players and just used a local club/league, I still think that does more to generate 'good' interest in the hobby. But only if it was interesting enough to get normal people to watch I guess.

#54 6 years ago

PBS had the perfect ad campaign that reflects how I feel about reality TV.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#55 6 years ago

I would probably watch it, but I don't know that it does much for current collectors. It'd just drive prices up and cause everyone to think they're the next pin picker extraordinaire which would be very annoying.

I have to be honest, and maybe I'm an a-hole and being selfish, but I could care less how popular the hobby gets. Location pinball has very rarely ever been up to my standard, so more locations doesn't necessarily mean the games will be kept up any better than they ever have in the past. I'd rather be able to buy $900 Whitewaters so that I could build the collection of games I'd really like to have and every purchase not be such a ridiculous expense, and set my games up the way I like them and enjoy them myself and allow others to come enjoy them at my house.

There's something special about a niche hobby and the camaraderie it spawns. Everything doesn't need to be the biggest, hottest property. The only people who would benefit are manufacturers, distributors, operators and the personalities on the show, not the current hobbyists.

#56 6 years ago

The main problem is, this show wouldn't be about pinball. Just like Duck Dynasty isn't about duck calls.

#57 6 years ago

This sizzle video was more about making money than pinball. If you want to promote pinball then do a show about pinball collecting, restoring, playing, history, league play, etc. There is plenty of pinball material to compose a show about pinball such that you don't have to put a game in a dumpster and pretend to find it. I like pinball and want the hobby to grow but I don't see myself watching this show about making money.

#58 6 years ago

I'm just afraid this will start out with elements of realness and then fade into being really fake. Duck Dynasty went that way. It's fresh at first, but then it gets more and more scripted it because maybe their daily lives aren't as exciting as we thought in season 1.

What I like:
    1) It's a show about pinball
    2) They actually mention a couple of fair-market prices on games
    3) Videography and production seemed top notch

What I don't like:
    1) It's a "reality" show about pinball
    2) All-too-convenient coincidences are already happening in the sizzle

It's honestly too early to tell, though I do worry about the show's longevity. Is this something non-pinheads can get into? Maybe they should do a show about the actual flipping process and make it a competition - who can revive the game the best. I'm certainly not a Hollywood exec, just my $0.02.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

I'm just afraid this will start out with elements of realness and then fade into being really fake.

Fade into? Did you happen to notice the pristine KISS game carefully placed in a dumpster?

#60 6 years ago

I might watch something like this for an episode, but that's about it. I don't see how it helps pinball though. I didn't see much focus at all about playing. I saw a little restoring, promotion, lots of drinking, and people throwing money around. There were quick flashes of people playing, but that was it. Sure the business aspect is part of pinball, but I don't think focusing on that promotes pinball as something fun to be a part of.

The fun of pinball to me starts with the the actual games. Real world physics gives me something new every time I play. I have a thread where I played ten games in a row and recorded my scores, and there's no consistency, same for pretty much everyone else who participated. You just don't get that with video games.

Then there's the fun of joining a local league. I've met a lot of good people in my league and even though I'm not good enough to be in A division, I'm treated as an equal. We're all friends and some of us host pinball get togethers that we're all welcome to go to.

Then there's tournaments where you can win some cash, but overall the competition is the fun part and the partying in between.

On the collection side, it's fun buying a machine and fixing it up to working condition. Adding LED's and other mods to put your signature on it. It's just fun owning a machine to PLAY because that's kind of the point. And it's fun going to pinball shows where local collectors bring their machines for free play to share with the community. We get to see some rare tables you just won't see out in the wild anymore.

I don't think a reality show based on the pinball aspects we'd want to see promoted would do well, that's not what the public wants. They want drama, they want to see the next goldmine where they think they can get rich quick.

#61 6 years ago

I don't know about the rest of the pinside mass, but IMHO PAPA TV is great pinball TV. Watching great players, running commentary that covers the rules of the game being played. Random players constantly rotating in on the mic.

I know that's an impossible sell to the non pinball public though.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I don't know about the rest of the pinside mass, but IMHO PAPA TV is great pinball TV. Watching great players, running commentary that covers the rules of the game being played. Random players constantly rotating in on the mic.
    I know that's an impossible sell to the non pinball public though.

Sure. I love it. I don't expect it to be riveting to non-pinheads though.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

I would probably watch it, but I don't know that it does much for current collectors. It'd just drive prices up and cause everyone to think they're the next pin picker extraordinaire which would be very annoying.
    I have to be honest, and maybe I'm an a-hole and being selfish, but I could care less how popular the hobby gets. Location pinball has very rarely ever been up to my standard, so more locations doesn't necessarily mean the games will be kept up any better than they ever have in the past. I'd rather be able to buy $900 Whitewaters so that I could build the collection of games I'd really like to have and every purchase not be such a ridiculous expense, and set my games up the way I like them and enjoy them myself and allow others to come enjoy them at my house.
    There's something special about a niche hobby and the camaraderie it spawns. Everything doesn't need to be the biggest, hottest property. The only people who would benefit are manufacturers, distributors, operators and the personalities on the show, not the current hobbyists.

Agreed. Yeah pinball would get exposed and more popular which would be GREAT but on the other hand you will have every D-bag out there watching the show combing craigslist for a "deal" now trying to flip games just to make a buck. Great ... These types of shows when written and staged like this make everyone watching think that their "junk" is a gold mine. Take the show about turning old 70's and 80's Japanese motorcycles into Cafe Racers for example. You used to be able to buy CB's, KZ's, XS's RD's etc etc for next to nothing. Now you go on CL and these 70's bikes are all listed as "potential cafe racer bike" $3000-4000. They've done nothing to them except relist it! I have a feeling that would happen with pinball machines also. Everybody just relisting and raising prices cause it has "potential". Oh and I live in Las Vegas so I see all the junk/restoration stores that are up by Pawn Stars and Ricks Restoration and MY GOD the price of junk is ridiculous at these places. I would HATE for this cool little hobby that we have to turn into something viewed as "oh I can make money on that machine"!!

Anyway congrats to the guys in the show if it ever gets aired but I will not be watching as I don't watch TV especially "reality " TV. Oh and yeah about that KISS in the dumpster....... Pretty convenient that the playfield glass didn't even break when they "threw" it into the dumpster. Come on now.

#64 6 years ago

It's well produced and would be nice to see pinball get more publicity. My problem is that it is not new in anyway shape or form. It's just a rip off of storage wars which was a rip off of other reality junk before it.

Pinball being mainstream will mean higher prices for older games. But it could also mean stabilized prices for newer games as companies can consistently sell more of each title which is a good thing. It's not 2000 anymore so people are just going to have to get over the price thing. Those days are over and will likely never be seen again. If they are seen again it means pinball is dead and no one cares that you got a $1200 TZ.

#65 6 years ago

I know, and even like most of the people in that video above. That said, I would have not watched it.

I'm sure BarrySanders would have given me the recap story during cigar time anyway.

#66 6 years ago

again, another show about lowballers and money maker$, how many shows do we need like that?
    i'd probably stop watching it after 2 -3 episodes.
    most of it look so fake/scripted, almost like each one of them played a role... it's far from reality tv crap.
    the kiss machine part was totally scripted.
    people are wondering why everything on graig list, epay are so high... there you go, one of the reason.

it should be the other way around.
    finding real deals, restorations, competitions, the real life around those individual, family and so on...

video editing is well done.

#67 6 years ago

I wil be a true pinhead for life! I enjoy fixing them becuase they were a staple in my childhood! I love watching my familys (esp)kiddos, Eyes light up when they play them. I hope they sell the s^%$ out of them. Then i can take up a part time job fixing them for people who buy them just because they can.
    Game On!

#68 6 years ago

Obviously, for the purposes of the sizzle, which would never be aired on TV, we did "dramatic recreations" of real life situations we have been in in the past (finding a game in a dumpster, auctions, etc). None of this was done to convince the public... this was done to convince studio executives to give us a shot at a TV show... to give them a taste.

They shot 30+ hours of footage... which was somehow edited into 9 minutes.

I have no idea what they did with the rest of the footage or how you edit 30 hours into 9 minutes.

None of us had any true idea how we would be portrayed, or how the show would look. We all found out together.

I for one, was pretty embarrassed when rays of light started shooting out of my head... man... it takes a lot to embarrass me. lol

#69 6 years ago

Where is the footage of you shouting into a bullhorn at 4 people, on that trailer in the Wal-Mart parking lot. I want that reel. Will pay good $$$ for it.

#70 6 years ago

maybe a gag and blooper real just for dedicated folks!

#72 6 years ago

Nothing says "this guy is the bad guy" more than having multiple shots of him burping.

#73 6 years ago

the first quote was wrong imo.. what are u telling .. Pinball is Back? i didnt liked that pitch from the get go

i mean Pinball has never been away in the first place, there was always an manufacturer making pinball machines.. in this case Stern holded the pinball flame thru the worst decade for pinball after the fall of WMS/Bally.. but they werent gone no no no , u were assuming with that quote that pinball manufacturing or the hobby on its own has left us and its back.. no its not. true pinballers stayed with pinball even when the times were not good.

i would have said instead! Pinball is HOT!! that should have been more appropiate

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

Nothing says "this guy is the bad guy" more than having multiple shots of him burping.

Haha, dude that's just my ulcer. It's all day everyday.

#75 6 years ago

Obviously the sizzle reel needed more ugly old fat men with canes and cigars. No wonder it didn't sell

#76 6 years ago

And Marc, yes, you were the bad guy. ( It's OK buddy, I like A-holes)

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

...always thinking about what kind of deal YOU can get on a machine.

Wait, I'm pretty sure that was the premise of that 9 minute pitch.

How many of these kinds of shows are they gonna try and make? Pinball or otherwise. It just seems like a tired format.

#78 6 years ago

Those PBS ads are brilliant, btw. I needed a laugh after watching that piece. Thank you for sharing those and steering my emotions to a more enjoyable place.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Wait, I'm pretty sure that was the premise of that 9 minute pitch, dude.
    How many of these kinds of shows are they gonna try and make? Pinball or otherwise. It just seems like a tired format.

I dont know, I am not a Hollywood TV producer. I was just a cast member. We were all wondering... "How is the show gonna look like"... and even once we saw the sizzle some of us then were like "Ok, what would a full episode look like" etc.

I had no interest in being a pawn-stars or storage wars. But then again, none of the cast were the ones doing the editing.

#80 6 years ago

Man, that whole thing made me hate pinball.

Every single person was totally repellent and represented the image that Pinside is now trying to purge - the douchey, old fat white guy out to make a buck and party with "broads". It was everything hateful about this hobby, and had ZERO of what there is to love about it.

If you wonder why women don't like pinball, watch that video.

Obviously it's made up garbage but that is not how I'd like to see pinball represented to "normal" people. The only outcome of that trash airing on TV would game prices skyrocketing and shows getting flooded with douchebags.

#81 6 years ago

I tried to watch it. Once it became clear what it was I stopped, I couldn't take it. Sorry, I'm in the "horrible for the hobby" camp on this one. It's the last way I'd want people to be exposed to pinball. Obsessively compete to find the hottest pinball titles? Collections as status symbols? All over a bro'd out dubstep soundtrack? No thanks. That's not the hobby I love.

But I hate reality TV, and utterly refuse to watch it, so maybe I'm just the wrong demographic.

I will say this Jared. Now that you work for Stern it's a little hard to not forget that when you talk about not worrying about prices going up. You're kind of in a biased position now, your job is to sell expensive pinball games. It's good for Stern if the used market goes higher, lets them compete better. Not everyone is going to see it that way.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Wait, I'm pretty sure that was the premise of that 9 minute pitch.

i agree, its just another money making or blowing chasers show, but then with Pinball as the target..

i cannot see how that is good for the pinball, other then maybe the awareness of it.
    make an excellent program regarding tournament pinball where people are competing for an fictional one million dollar prizepool ( which doesnt exist but who cares right as it is for television) and the winner gets half a million dollars something like that.. then everyone is in line to play pinball.. or even take it serious.. because that is all what is lacking.. darts for example became very popular because the prizepools were so large it attracted so many people , and in the end they take it serious. and sponsorships from so many companies came in because where a lot of people are the companies would love her or his bizname on it.. and in my opinion that is what it takes.
    and how exciting is it to watch that live on television right

#83 6 years ago

Good point Aurich

#84 6 years ago

This can't be any worse than a lot of the crap that passes for acceptable TV programming, and has potential to be much better. If it gets people talking about pinball more, and generates more interest in the game, I'm all for it.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from skquinn:

If it gets people talking about pinball more, and generates more interest in the game, I'm all for it.

But it's negative attention. There was nothing in there about leagues, about restoring, or shows. Nothing about community. It was all about screwing the other guys first to get the deal, then selling overpriced machines, or comparing dick sizes by who has the biggest collection.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I will say this Jared. Now that you work for Stern it's a little hard to not forget that when you talk about not worrying about prices going up. You're kind of in a biased position now, your job is to sell expensive pinball games. It's good for Stern if the used market goes higher, lets them compete better. Not everyone is going to see it that way.

At the time this was filmed in the Fall of 2014: I was not. I had no idea what was to come.

And had you asked me then, I would have told you the same thing.

I hope the day comes again when there is a Pinball machine in every movie theater and mall. Where a 7-11 has an arcade in it. Where you see Pinball machines as much as you see an ATM. I have thought that would be rad since 2012.

Who knows if it will happen or not, but as for this sizzle, it was not the show per say, it was an exaggerated sample to sell the idea to cable network executives. None of them bought it. Which is why now it can be shared.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

At the time this was filmed in the Fall of 2014: I was not. I had no idea what was to come.

I'm not talking about the show, I barely watched half of it. I'm talking about your comments in this very thread, as a Stern employee. Sorry, my bad, didn't really make that very clear.

Not trying to muzzle you! Just saying, think about the context you're in now, your comments are going to be read that way.

#88 6 years ago

WOW.

I am utterly speechless.

That was REALLY bad! No wonder TV producers do not come to the midwest to try and find scandal in pinball.
    On the positive side I continue to be very thankful for the local pinheads in the region!

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

But it's negative attention. There was nothing in there about leagues, about restoring, or shows. Nothing about community. It was all about screwing the other guys first to get the deal, then selling overpriced machines, or comparing dick sizes by who has the biggest collection.

+1, even the resto part of the clip was about how much $ was made on the flip.

#90 6 years ago

Really, we want to portray that the "best pinballers" are the ones "with the biggest collections"? Way to make us look like a bunch of self centered, insecure, dick-measuring Dbags.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

(first there was a word here)
    I am utterly speechless.
    (And then more words)

I have to admit, I laughed. Speechless, huh?

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Haha, dude that's just my ulcer. It's all day everyday.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the gallon of Monster you drink every day, would it?

#93 6 years ago

What in the holy hell is going on in here? Are you guys taking this seriously? These are all good dudes, and are all friends (well, Marc likes about 4 and a half people on Earth, and I make up about .4 of that). The reel was obviously made up of scripted bits. They weren't really racing each other to overbid a CL seller. It was all staged. Just like the rest of those shows. It is entertainment. Are you not entertained????

areyounotentertained.jpg

Jesus, who jacked with the sensitivity knob on this place? I had the settings just where I liked. Maybe we should just switch format to a Hummel collector's forum.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

The main problem is, this show wouldn't be about pinball. Just like Duck Dynasty isn't about duck calls.

Yes, but Duck Dynasty is shot on mainly 4k cameras (Not always). That's I watch. Plus, it's my job. Anyway, if any reality shows were just duck calls or whatever they would go away quickly. Duck Dynasty has a following way before Gurney Productions. Plus, characters have to be place into the right areas of the show. The show is losing ground and run it's course they all do. However, for me the loss is now your to scripted.(I'm referring to.Dynasty Dynasty) somebody else was hired with a big head and ruined the writing. FYI: all reality shows are scripted/entertainment hello= ratings= money.
    I still wish I worked for CBS, only so I could work on "Big Brother" which airs tonight. Yeah!!!

This is a spin off concept of the show Big Rig Bounty Hunters. It could work, not sure about longevity but if you can get 3 years or so out of it that could pay off. I would have to see into the 4th or 5th show to see the full spin. I think in order to be taken past the Internet concept, you would definitely have to clean up the language. I think getting into peoples homes to buy/trade will be easy as most won't say no. I could see it fly. Would bring some attention to pinball. No, I do not like Big Rig Bounty Hunters because its only mad guys always arguing with each other and that just gets old (kinda like on here). Good luck with it and run with it. Nothing to lose except money or make a boat load.

#95 6 years ago

Yeah Marc, clean up your $&@)&$!? Language.

How are you going to become the next Honey Boo Boo when you talk like a &@$/?! Potty mouth?

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

What in the holy hell is going on in here? Are you guys taking this seriously? These are all good dudes, and are all friends (well, Marc likes about 4 and a half people on Earth, and I make up about .4 of that). The reel was obviously made up of scripted bits. They weren't really racing each other to overbid a CL seller. It was all staged. Just like the rest of those shows. It is entertainment. Are you not entertained????
    areyounotentertained.jpg
    Jesus, who jacked with the sensitivity knob on this place? I had the settings just where I liked. Maybe we should just switch format to a Hummel collector's forum.

But, gambit, that's not what we are really decrying here. We all know it's staged crap, but the concern (at least mine) is the front this would project to the non pinballers and general public. It's makes us all look like greedy jerks, not really concerned with pinball as compared to making money off clueless pin owners and comparing the size/quality of our collections. That's lame. Good for tv is not the same as good for pinball, IMO.

#97 6 years ago

Sizzle reel? More like Zizzle reel. Roughly the same relationship to the real thing.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

What in the holy hell is going on in here? Are you guys taking this seriously? These are all good dudes, and are all friends (well, Marc likes about 4 and a half people on Earth, and I make up about .4 of that). The reel was obviously made up of scripted bits. They weren't really racing each other to overbid a CL seller. It was all staged. Just like the rest of those shows. It is entertainment

I'm sure they're all good dudes, it's nothing personal. I think the rest of those shows suck too, I would hate to see pinball following in the footsteps of other crap reality TV is all. It doesn't paint the hobby in any kind of positive light.

#99 6 years ago

This would not have a good impact on pinball. All that show seemed to be about was how much money they can make. Get that out to the general public and the average joe wont care if you say his game priced way too much because he seen on pinballers that they sell for $12,000. This would be the ebay effect but 1000 times worse. I used to go to storage auctions before the show. It was fun, then the show came along and everyone and their grandma literally came out and was paying $500 for units that used to sell for $15-$20. It took all the fun completely out of it.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Maybe we should just switch format to a Hummel collector's forum.

I have to admit, this made me laugh!

There are 587 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside