(Topic ID: 131339)

Pinballers!

By Marc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugh (resized).jpg
    image.jpg
    subject.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    pinball_tv.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    EPIC.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png
    571816_original.jpg
    119673442.jpg
    763_4944_ucp.jpg
    led_kiss.gif
    image.jpg

There are 587 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
    #549 8 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Gotta admit.... I've watched this train wreck four times. I just can't stop.
    ... I would watch, but I wouldn't respect myself in the morning.

And your IQ would drop 15 points each time you watched until you were nothing more than a blob in the middle of your floor. Train wreck is an understatement......

#550 8 years ago
    #551 8 years ago
    Quoted from WIKED:

I cannot ever see a show about Pinball on TV. There just isn't enough mainstream interest in it.

I disagree with this. There are shows about really stupid things. If the right pinball show with the right characters comes along there is no reason it couldn't break through.

#552 8 years ago

I heard there was an old man who had a mint ij in his garage . He sold it for 150.00 .

#553 8 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I heard there was an old man who had a mint ij in his garage . He sold it for 150.00 .

Did 5 people all pull up at once claiming dibs?

I thought the sizzle was well done for what it was. I'd totally be a socialite in that scenario. Would be cool to throw a character in there known as "The Competitor". The person who is able to travel to distant venues in search of the title World Champion. With as many major events and tourneys as there are these days, variety wouldn't be a problem. I'd DVR the show and marathon a season if it was good.

#554 8 years ago

I'm 43 and grew up on pinball, and have my own collection. My co- workers think I'm a nerd and I don't need the world to see how cool I really am. Just like my beard, now everyone has a beard , and I'm also I lineman now there's a movie with John Trevolta coming out about line work. Can the world stop taking all that is sacred to me. More exposure seems to ruin everything . Now everyone wants a beard , thinks they can play with electricity, and now will want to sell me a pinball machine . WOW ! Please stop the train Casey Jones I want to get off. But that's just my opinion .

#555 8 years ago

You are funny Ken. Just like storage wars. Hell that may get me onboard.

3 weeks later
    #556 8 years ago

I just keep finding these pins at dumpsters. True story

image.jpgimage.jpg

#557 8 years ago

No surprise, it's a very prevalent thing in pinball. They even caught a finding like that in this thread on film. That's really how I got my pin collection.

#558 8 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

I just keep finding these pins at dumpsters

they even ratchet-strapped it with cardboard between the backbox and the rails so they don't get scratched or dented. they really care about trash.

#559 8 years ago

Saw a film crew following Robert Gagno around for the first few days of ReplayFX. New documentary?

#560 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Saw a film crew following Robert Gagno around for the first few days of ReplayFX. New documentary?

Now THAT sounds interesting, assuming it's focused on the competitive tournament scene.

#561 8 years ago

I would it rather be focused on his Autism. Autism trumps pinball any day. Especially since I have a Autistic son myself.

#563 8 years ago

"People will respect you for who you are if you just behave good. And have a good attitude."

~Robert Gagno

Awesome quote!!

#564 8 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

» Vimeo video
    Short film preview of the bigger project.

That was awesome! I've watched hours of video of Robert playing pinball, both on location and in tournaments. The video that his friend shot of him reaching Valinor on a LOTR LE on location in his area is really interesting. To the best of my knowledge, it's one of the few videos in existence of a successful Valinor quest in the wild...

And Robert's personal story makes the subject matter of this project even more compelling. He is such a nice person... a real credit to this hobby and the competitive tournament scene.

I'm really looking forward to the feature length documentary. Thanks for posting!

#565 8 years ago
    Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I would it rather be focused on his Autism. Autism trumps pinball any day. Especially since I have a Autistic son myself.

Great story.

My youngest is also Autistic, and Robert's mother's description of his tendencies is spot on to my son. He loves mechanical things (he's obsessed with elevators, light switches, circut boards, etc.) and once they latch on to something, they won't stop. My son was designing pinball tables on paper when he was 8.

I saw Robert at Pinburgh, but did not get a chance to meet him. Next time.

#566 8 years ago

The show 'Ingenious Minds' featured Robert in a show back in 2011. I think the full episode is on youtube.

1 month later
    #567 8 years ago

So where/how can i watch this show...did they make a full episode?

#568 8 years ago

edit...

#569 8 years ago

edit....

#570 8 years ago
    Quoted from Star_Gazer:

So where/how can i watch this show...did they make a full episode?

No, it never even made it to pilot, it's a sizzle pitch clip to sell it to a network. From podcasts I've listened to, it may still end up as a show if a media company decides to pick it up.

#571 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

No, it never even made it to pilot, it's a sizzle pitch clip to sell it to a network. From podcasts I've listened to, it may still end up as a show if a media company decides to pick it up.

Sorry but I don't see this happening unless the format and characters change completely at which point it is a whole new show anyway. What is cool about shows like Pawn Stars or American Pickers is you never know what you are going to see. A show about pinball flipping is a one-trick pony. To the average viewer a pinball machine is a pinball machine whether it's an EM or MM or MMr.

#572 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

A show about pinball flipping is a one-trick pony

agreed.. beyond just buying them and a sped up video of redecaling a cabinet before it goes to auction, it needs to show all aspects. Public tournaments, private tournaments, private pinball gatherings, showing the average person troubleshooting issues, showing all the little guys making mods (like mezel mods), replacements parts like CPR, parts for bigger companies like Back alley creations.

It really can't exist as a show that focuses around a texas town, it really needs to be a show like american pickers where they travel across the country. Seems like PAPA was attempting to do a web show like that:

#573 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

A show about pinball flipping is a one-trick pony.

Just add other type of arcade machines for the sake of variation...

#574 8 years ago
    Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Just add other type of arcade machines for the sake of variation...

Yeah make it focus on all of coin-op and then you might have something. It could cover pinball, arcade games, and all the other coin-up machines of years past (those puppet things, fortune tellers, all the types of electromechanical games, and whatever else is out there).

1 year later
    #577 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Maybe once we reach DOA status with our project I can share the sizzle reel. I did pull it off the private youtube link and download it just so I had it forever

Confirmed DOA status today, so I finally got permission to post our sizzle reel.

The IFPA was working with IMG Productions in the second half of 2014 on this. This was filmed at Pinball Expo 2014.

Apologies for the language

#578 7 years ago

Won't work, pretty much everyone who buys and collects pinballmachines can see this is a scripted show and that these dickheads are the worst among us with the vulture like attitudes of buy from someone who doesn't the real value then flip, so the worst part of the hobby put into a fake reality show where the target audience knows the truth?

#579 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Won't work, pretty much everyone who buys and collects pinballmachines can see this is a scripted show and that these dickheads are the worst among us with the vulture like attitudes of buy from someone who doesn't the real value then flip, so the worst part of the hobby put into a fake reality show where the target audience knows the truth?

I assume you are talking about the OP's posted show "Pinballers" and not the sizzle reel that ifpapinball posted. The sizzle reel for Pinball Wizards is pretty neat, but I can see why it wouldn't be a big hit show. Pinball competition talk is cool to us, but wouldn't go much beyond that.

#580 7 years ago

If I were to face the 2 shows off against each other, Pinballers as ridiculous and staged as we know it was certainly presented a more "entertaining" show for the masses.

That Pinballers, with all their fake drama couldn't find a buyer, I am not sure if there will ever be a TV show for pinball. Short of actual competition being broadcast, which still could be a viable thing. If darts can get on TV, then it's just a matter of time for us.

#581 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I am not sure if there will ever be a TV show for pinball.

I used to love this show when I was a kid.

#582 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Pinball competition talk is cool to us, but wouldn't go much beyond that.

I think the audience for specifically (viewing) competitive pinball is pretty limited. Look how much flack Nate got when he shifted to a lot of competition talk on Coast2Coast.

#583 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I assume you are talking about the OP's posted show "Pinballers" and not the sizzle reel that ifpapinball posted.

Yeah it was for pinballers, I rather enjoyed the sizzle reel even though I don't want a "sizzle reel" is.

#584 7 years ago

...and hey, we all do jello shots before an auction!

ugh (resized).jpgugh (resized).jpg

#585 7 years ago

I enjoyed the IMG sizzle reel - probably partially because I used to work for IMG. They don't do anything half-assed. What we really need to get the word out is something like an ESPN 30 for 30. Just a good, solid 1-hour documentary played on national tv during prime time to a wide audience.

#586 7 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

...and hey, we all do jello shots before an auction!

To be fair...

It would not surprise me if Cidco and the wife actually did this. They have the best damn parties, you don't even know!

#587 7 years ago

The reason for the Jell-O shots reference was because we told the producer how so often when enjoying the coin op auctions here in town it usually includes indulging in mass quantities of beer. A typical auction with Earnie he's usually got a bottle of Bullit Whiskey to be shared amongst friends. Have we ever done Jell-O shots before an auction....no. But the basic concept was implemented in the sizzle.

There are 587 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballers-1/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.