(Topic ID: 131339)

Pinballers!

By Marc

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugh (resized).jpg
    image.jpg
    subject.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    pinball_tv.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    EPIC.jpg
    piccit_mayor_fiorello_laguardia_ord_1133813326.png
    571816_original.jpg
    119673442.jpg
    763_4944_ucp.jpg
    led_kiss.gif
    image.jpg

There are 587 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.
    #3 8 years ago

Wait, so you're saying those guys aren't professional actors from Hollywood?

#4 8 years ago

Meh. Those guys are a bunch of starfuckers.

#5 8 years ago

Well if I wasn't priced out of the market already, I will be now.

#6 8 years ago

Not when you watch these chuckleheads

#7 8 years ago

Hoping there is a Topless Nunlee Edition on the DVD. That Rusty is one tasty bit of man candy

#8 8 years ago

Wow. I guess the link is public now.

Was a nice ride.

#9 8 years ago

Ah well this will fade away again like the rest... And if this will becomes a tv success, think about all the impulse buys that will flood the market in a year or so..
    BTW was Todd from TNT also not trying to get a show? Is that still gonna happen?

#10 8 years ago

My favorite part was when they took the backglass and some boards out of a Kiss and put it in a dumpster so they could pretend to find it.

#11 8 years ago

The question remains.
    "If" it would have made it to series, would you have watched it?
    Critiques aside, just a simple yes or no?

#12 8 years ago

Where do I sign up for groupie duty?

#13 8 years ago

Antiques Roadshow, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, etc--all those shows basically inflated the price of "old" stuff and collectibles so much that you basically can't anything for a reasonable price any more.

I really wouldn't want to see another "edgy" pickers show that makes things over-competitive and ridiculously over-priced. It sucks all the fun out of pinball.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from WApb:

BTW was Todd from TNT also not trying to get a show? Is that still gonna happen?

A promo from a few years back: https://vimeo.com/32819765

#15 8 years ago

Damn, that was good

#16 8 years ago

Craig,

I think critiques are appropriate if not desired. A simple yes or no is fine but debate, yes debate is entertaining. If you like it cool, if you hate it cool, if you think it will sink the hobby cool, if you think it will elevate awareness and want Jared as your poster child, well....

#17 8 years ago
    sick.gifsick.gif
    #18 8 years ago

Godawful, a totally staged greedy pin-flipper competition show, I would only hate-watch this.

#20 8 years ago

Hassle is Craig. Those jackwagons are all locals down here. Marc, Craig and Barry were all in the reel. They're all Hollywood now.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Hassle is Craig. Those jackwagons are all locals down here. Marc, Craig and Barry were all in the reel. They're all Hollywood now.

Yeah but I still answer your call. You are my favorite, even with that avatar.

#22 8 years ago

Nothing beats Shelley having a shirt with her name on it. And Barry, why don't you just wobble off or do whatever you do!

#23 8 years ago

Here is the story from my own personal POV:

Ok Pinside, time to come clean about a big secret I have been hiding for more than a year now. Read on for a behind the scenes look at some exciting things that have been going on over the last 18 months. I think you may be intrigued.

So this story begins back in November 2013. I am contacted by a professional television producer named Damien LeVeck from Hollywood. He explains to me that he wants to make a new hit reality TV show about pinball and pinball people. He asked if I would have any interest in the show and be willing to film myself answering some questions on camera. At this point, he was just building up a pitch to a production company. I agreed. In the Winter of 2013, I was casually filmed answering some questions about pinball and how I felt about it.

In the Spring of 2014 I was headed out to a professional race in Long Beach with a client, and decided to hang out with a good friend of mine, Andrick Zeen . While in town, the produced called me over for lunch in West Hollywood, saying he had some amazing news he wanted to share with me in person.

Andrick and I went to this place in Hollywood, and I met Damien where he explained to me that the international production and distribution company Lions Gate Entertainment had picked up the show idea and would be funding a sizzle. They liked the casual footage he had gathered and wanted to see what the real deal would look like. He explained to me that soon I would be getting a NDA agreement and a contract: I would be a signed television performer for Lionsgate Television. I was extremely excited!

Contracts went out, and this process took quite a while as some members of the cast wanted to be extra sure of everything. In the end some additions and revisions were made, but a final cast was agreed up, consisting all of pinball/arcade collectors in the North Texas area. The show had a working title of "Pinballers".

Now in the fall of 2014, we began filming the "sizzle". A sizzle is like a mini pilot, 8-12 minutes of professionally produced TV show to give networks a real taste of what the finished product could look like. This filming took some time, and was done by a professional crew. Lions Gate funded this and spared no expense in the top quality cameras, sound and editing. Damien was the producer.

I made a post here, vague in nature, asking for some extras to help filming. You may remember the post from the fall 2014, about 8 months ago. Some of you were in the footage that was shot here at my home.

Shooting concluded, and we waited months while it was edited. Damien flew back into Dallas on 1/1/15, to show us the sizzle for the first time together at one of the cast members homes. We saw it, were excited, and happy for what was to come.

By February 2015, Lions Gate and WME began the process of pitching the show to network executives. They all saw it, History, Discovery, AMC, TruTV, Reelz, CMT, NatGeo, etc. All of them. This process went on for about 2 months. We got some very good feedback, some of them even took it up a level or 2 to senior consideration. There were a couple of times where we were waiting to hear the phone call "at any moment" that the show as bought and we were all going to be on TV. In the end, no one pulled the trigger. The show was not bought by a network.

Normally, this would be where the story ends. A lot of production companies spend a lot of money on great ideas hoping to become TV shows, and most of them dont even get close to as far as we did. Most get shot-down before they are even funded to a sizzle, much less made and shopped around Los Angeles. We got really, really close. And today I learned that we are not done yet!

The executive producer, Damien LeVeck, whom I am SO EXCITED is heading up this project and is committed to making this happen. This thing is still going to happen, but as a online show! The option may still exist for this to jump up to network television later, but for now we are going to work with a online producer to make the the episodes for release digitally. Those details are still underway. .

Anyways, this has been a CRAZY and LONG journey where I learned a LOT about the Television business and the industry behind "reality television". I am thrilled that Damien is committed to bring this show to the world to enjoy.

#24 8 years ago

I don't see how this will be good for pinball in any way.

#25 8 years ago

Gambit3113 I'll still talk to you. Just please schedule your meeting with my agent first. I require only answering prescreened questions and the temperature of the room must stay at an ambient 72 degrees.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

So let me get this, You're saying you wouldn't like to watch a reality show about pinball. Your saying that you being a pinball enthusiast while flipping channels wouldn't tune in?

Hmmm.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

So let me get this, You're saying you wouldn't like to watch a reality show about pinball. Your saying that you being a pinball enthusiast while flipping channels wouldn't tune in?
    Hmmm.

No, I don't watch tv. Especially reality shows.
    This just makes all of us look like greedy jerks looking to make a quick buck.
    It's shameful that anyone who says they love pinball would be a part of this.

#28 8 years ago

Simple answer w/o opinions -

Yep. I'd watch.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

It will be good if you're selling, but not if you're buying!

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

It's shameful that anyone who says they love pinball would be a part of this.

That's just not true at all.

I know everyone who was a part of it, and we truly love pinball. Especially Ed, who heads up one of the largest pinball shows on the planet and has a collection worth more than an used exotic car.

#31 8 years ago

I think this could be good in terms of getting more people involved and creating larger market. This helps the viability of existing companies and may attract new ones or at least increase production or titles at existing ones (assume this show becomes a hit).

Pinball is not focused on buying and selling and making money. Market will dictate price conditions. I pinball because it's fun, has great community, and I enjoy the restoration and collection aspects of it. If the prices double in the next year, that just means I may collect less but it doesn't change how I feel. It will mean my collection is worth twice as much as well, so that doesn't hurt.

I say the more people, the better!

#32 8 years ago

Man I just knew that the day this post made it way to pinside there would be some butthurt about "this will make prices go up" etc etc.

So selfish... always thinking about what kind of deal YOU can get on a machine.

Let me tell you friends... the days a White Water is selling for $900... that is not a good day for pinball... that is the hobby on its final dying breath.

Look at the big picture. Most of America DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THIS STUFF EXISTS. No clue. Not an inkling. I hear it all the time: "wow, they still make pinball machines?". Yeah.

Massive, major network exposure like this (could have been) for our hobby has MASSIVE benefits downstream for all of us...

Interest in our hobby... location players... demand for machines in businesses... thats where this hobby explodes. A pinball show (not just this one, but any good one) could be the dynamite to start the avalanche.

And make not mistake: it's going to happen. Many, many people are working weekly to make sure of it.

Stop worrying about the price of a machine going up $100 and start worrying about the day that NO ONE GIVES A CRAP ABOUT PINBALL ANYMORE... it could happen... unless people step up and fight the good fight. Many are... the battle is growing... we gain more fighters every week... every year... pinball is the strongest now in 2015 as it has been in decades... we are at the precipice of interest and excitement since the 90's... right now.

Now is the time to strike. Now is the time for a TV show. Lions Gate bet $60,000+ on it. So far... it has not panned out... but it still could.

#33 8 years ago

I love watching anything pinball

#34 8 years ago

If I had known that there were jello shots involved at 8am at one of the auctions (not that I got the invite to Steve's private party auction, lmfao), I might make more of an effort to show up.

Shelley's shirt is awesome.

I laughed my ass off at Marc. Hooray for the eff word that apparently I can't use here anymore and the double fingered salute. True American Hero™, right there.

There's my takeaway. I want some more of Shelley's jello shots as I'm being Marc's groupie.

#35 8 years ago

Interesting. It was alright, but the thing that bugged me most was the price inflation. It's been mentioned earlier in this thread, and that kind of stuff happening in shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers has unnaturally driven up prices in other fields of collectables, and it'd be unfortunate to see the same happen to pinball.

Overall I actually thought it was pretty good. There were parts where the editing seemed too jumpy and annoying (mostly at the beginning), but once it settled in it was more enjoyable.

#36 8 years ago

I would probably enjoy a show that depicted the lighter side of pinball. Game tips, diving into the history of pinball, interviews with designers, following restoration projects, following parts and machine production, interviews with everyday people sharing their interesting stories about pinball...and so on. That would be a show I would watch and something that would put a positive spin on things.

But, a reality TV pickers show..it tends to thrive on conflict, (manufactured or otherwise) and I would be concerned that if this is the way pinball is presented to the world at large, pinball will fall into a dark hole again like in the pre-90s when pinball was thought of as being something surrounded by shady characters.

#37 8 years ago

Really interesting to finally hear feedback from the community on the project.

Was funny, none of us really knew how it would look or exactly how we would be portrayed until we saw the edited version on 1/1/15.

#38 8 years ago

This isn't about pinball...it's about all of these guys self-promoting themselves. I've met most of them...some are pretty cool guys, others already got pretty big heads. I just hope after this they can still fit their big heads and inflated egos through their front doors. Now for the disclaimer...if someone would of offered me the same chance to be a big shot, I would of jumped all over it too! Best of luck to all of you...even if some of you are a-holes.

#39 8 years ago

If helps the hobby that's great i would watch it we need to keep people playing and attract new players .I realize shows like pawn stars are all fake with inflated prices agreed to before camera roles and then cut and paste for desired effect and this show may do some of that

#40 8 years ago

I thought the clip was well produced. I know enough about "reality" tv to know how it works. "Characters" are created, situations manipulated, so I'm not expecting a documentary.

This show isn't made for "us", it's made for joe blow public, so you have to create a simple entertaining show.

Good luck to everyone involved.

#41 8 years ago

Yes, because every "reality" show I have seen has caused me to have much more respect for the people in that field.

#42 8 years ago

The question remains.
    "If" it would have made it to series, would you have watched it?
    Critiques aside, just a simple yes or no?

yes, i'd watch it

#43 8 years ago

One of the aspects I wanted or want to happen on the show would have been a historic trivia question as the show was leading into and out of a commercial break.
    Something like " what was the first talking pinball machine....stay tuned when we return for the answer".
    After the commercial break the show would reiterate the question and then show a picture of the machine - Gorgar. Then dive into a few facts about the machine and when it was produced, production run, etc.
    I also envision that if we were to be showing game restoration on the show I would love to throw props to whomever' parts, mods I'm using on that machine in order to help plug their business in this small hobby of ours.
    Once again agreeing with Jared we had no idea what the final outcome of this would look like. He filmed for three full days various bits and pieces used in this sizzle. Not that each one of us was a part of everything shot. But just saying a good 32 hours worth of film was recorded and condensed down to 9 minutes.
    The point of the sizzle was supposed to be a taste of what the show could have been and the different various formats it could have taken. At the end of the day it really boils down to what the network wants or what the format of the show will be as they are the ones that are paying for X number of episodes.

So back to my main question I'm trying to ask...would you like to see a weekly Television show about pinball? I guess if you don't watch any TV at all it really doesn't matter what's on the tube as you wouldn't watch anything.
    This project is not dead...and we're trying to gauge interest by reaching out to who would have been or would be what we would assume would be our base audience.

#44 8 years ago

OMFG!!!!

Can you believe they found a PERFECTLY GOOD KISS MACHINE IN A DUMPSTER??????

Talk about LUCK!!!!

It's so awesome that YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE STUFF LIKE THIS UP!!!!

#45 8 years ago

Ever notice how bad TV and Hollyweird suck nowadays???????

#46 8 years ago

That Kiss machine landed perfectly in the dumpster, how lucky!

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

So selfish... always thinking about what kind of deal YOU can get on a machine.

Understand what you are saying, but I think the concern is that real pinball hobbyists would not be attracted so much as even more Craigslist flippers, scammers, and general douchebags.
    More collectors, players, hobbyists = good
    More flippers, scammers, quick buck artists, jerks = bad

#48 8 years ago

Yeah, I think a show about tournament players & competition would do more to generate the kind of interest you'd really want to cultivate. Rather than encouraging more people to hawk craigslist in search of ways to make a quick buck.

#49 8 years ago

Of course I would watch it's got pinball in it and looks well done too!!!

#50 8 years ago

One of the aspects I wanted or want to happen on the show would have been a historic trivia question as the show was leading into and out of a commercial break.
    Something like " what was the first talking pinball machine....stay tuned when we return for the answer".
    After the commercial break the show would reiterate the question and then show a picture of the machine - Gorgar. Then dive into a few facts about the machine and when it was produced, production run, etc.
    I also envision that if we were to be showing game restoration on the show I would love to throw props to whomever' parts, mods I'm using on that machine in order to help plug their business in this small hobby of ours.
    Once again agreeing with Jared we had no idea what the final outcome of this would look like. He filmed for three full days various bits and pieces used in this sizzle. Not that each one of us was a part of everything shot. But just saying a good 32 hours worth of film was recorded and condensed down to 9 minutes.
    The point of the sizzle was supposed to be a taste of what the show could have been and the different various formats it could have taken. At the end of the day it really boils down to what the network wants or what the format of the show will be as they are the ones that are paying for X number of episodes.
    So back to my main question I'm trying to ask...would you like to see a weekly Television show about pinball? I guess if you don't watch any TV at all it really doesn't matter what's on the tube as you wouldn't watch anything.
    This project is not dead...and we're trying to gauge interest by reaching out to who would have been or would be what we would assume would be our base audience.

You have some great ideas. I would watch that. Restoration tips and cool trivia about a game.
    Where you got parts etc.
    I liked your and Jared's passion for pinball.
    It's the storage wars, get it and flip it and move on aspect I was turned off by. If they showed you going to a show. How people load games and get everything up and running.
    Taking a beater and making it look new.
    That could be good.

There are 587 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballers-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.