20240328_132611 (resized).jpg
20240328_133155 (resized).jpg
20240328_132004 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_125215854 (resized).jpg
584B2BD0-71AB-4AFA-885B-9BBA9C938FB8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3801 (resized).JPG
IMG_3803 (resized).JPG
66DA93E6-9AFB-49D2-8E7F-3808007DCBEA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pw79.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 10 years ago

I like those nifty modified seiko automatic divers & flightmasters.

Those are legit time pieces that can get really kick ass by creative people. Add a fatty mesh non tapered bracelet or a nubby hidden clasp nugget band & BAM. Big ol IR coated dome sapphires & custom bezels, hands, etc... Magic!

All durable, accurate, well engineered & can be had for a few hundie

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

…and what better way to enjoy your pins & sweet watch, …with an excellent cigar

That's how the F we roll in the basement!

1998 LE plantation = The one rum I put ice in from time to time. It brightens it up & changes the profile.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#41 10 years ago

OT hijack

Moar cigar sexiness

image-930.jpgimage-930.jpg image-995.jpgimage-995.jpg image-58.jpgimage-58.jpg image-526.jpgimage-526.jpg image-900.jpgimage-900.jpg
#97 10 years ago

Before buying glorified consumables & their marketed fiction of ideology please read the book "Affluenza" & the blogs of Raptitude & Mr Money Mustache.

Buy investments that contribute to your freedom not flash & bling for you life avatar that only become a shackle

Unless it's pinball, rum, strippers, cigars & bacon...

3 years later
#1183 6 years ago

Why does a solid gold submariner even exist?

I mean cmon no one dives with that shit.

It's like a fake Rolex that's real lol

#1188 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I bet 98% of all Submariners never see the water.

Agreed.

That means the watch is authentic but the owner is fake.

The hypothetical gold sub owner bought the watch for his "avatar". You know, the thin veneer he projects via conspicuous consumption. His motives were fake & his usage of the watch is fake. A person does not buy a Rolex on accident. They made a choice to buy into the hype & show it to the world.

But... I have to say a stainless sub is a divers watch. Nothing can take that away from it. Not even a poser who keeps his sub in a dry winder box.

But when you make a sub out of gold... it is no longer a divers watch.

Suddenly this "genuine" rolex is 200% fake.

It's fake because it never sees the ocean. Then it's fake again because it's made from gold for fucks sake lol.

I have more respect for a seiko in the water. Sheeyat I have more respect for a straight up faux Rolex in the water. As long as the owner says "it's fake" & swims with it.

Every time I think about buying a Rolex I always remind myself that urge is just the pompous prick in me trying to prove something. Anyone who says they appreciate the history of a watch then buys one NIB is full of shit. They can read a book if they like history

But.. that deep sea dweller is sweet lol. Grrrrrr I must resist. Or buy a fake to get it out of my system.

Anyone ever read "The Millionaire Next door"? It ain't the 1% buying this shit. It's more often than not the folks with a disproportionately low net worth compared to their high W2 & years worked (UAW, AAW, PAW).

Anyway I have a few Seikos & might still get a sub lol

#1191 6 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Got the DeepSea on today. And, yes... its been in the water!

Nice

If only it had more numbers, letters & words on it

I would not be able to choose between the classic black vs the blue one you have. Purdy sweet.

Ironically that watch is nicknamed the Avatar lol

#1196 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I agree with a lot you have said...but not this. Fakes are never okay

Spending (insert silly amount of money) on a watch IMO is never okay.

So I guess we agree & disagree. Not that it matters. We aren't solving the worlds problems talking watches on a pinball forum anyway lol.

I think authentic watches are still fake. I think the demand is fake (created by the manufacturers) & I think the price is fake (created by the manufacturers).

Then again I think anyone with a mortgage that has the balls to call themselves a "homeowner" is fake too. That's not home ownership, that's an elaborate rental agreement.. But plenty disagree with me there too.

Fake watches, to me at least, really make it clear the whole Rolex & other high end watch game is just completely absurd.

But I still want one. I just wish I was unaware the desire for a Rolex is because I'm a shallow consumer.

Feels like we're having the ol VE style MM vs MMR & AFM vs AFMr convo right now

Anyway man we aren't going to convince each other to see it differently than we already do so I hope you did not take offense to my comments.

I just dont believe you're buying watches. I think youre buying an image.

#1201 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

(unless you are a douchebag).

I cannot confirm nor deny if that label would apply to me at times

#1210 6 years ago

Today I'm wearing a Seiko flighstmaster

I dont think this one has been in an airplane yet tho lol

grrrrrr its fake

See what I did there. I'm my own worst enemy sometimes ha

Red white & blue Happy July 4th

20170704_143649 (resized).jpg20170704_143649 (resized).jpg

#1216 6 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I have enjoyed reading the back and forth banter, and you bring up good points, but this one I wonder a little.
Let me define first though...
If you apply for a mortgage on a home you can't "afford" (living house poor) than yes, I agree completely.
However, if you need to break into the market, which in some cases is very difficult (i.e. most of Canada - holy hell are we screwed) than a mortgage is required. It is near impossible for anyone starting out to buy a home within 80-100 miles of a major metro here [Canada] to even being to fathom home-ownership.
Now when it comes to leasing a car.... that is a long term rental. While it has some merits, especially in business sense, it is usually just people who want more but can't buy it.

Here are two Canadians with a great story

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/about/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641

I don't think 99% of car loans are responsible either. There are exceptions of course. I'm aware that the 1% exception uses a low rate to combat inflation or opportunity loss to find gains to offset the vehicles depreciation but the other 99%, normal folks, just cannot afford the car so they finance it.

Same goes for mortgage interest. If it was that valuable folks would refi to higher rates. IMO unless a person has a multimillion dollar note & a 39.6% marginal bracket with the purchase price of the house invested then they need to pay it off, again this is IMO.

Mortgages & car loans are fine to get "life" started but IMO they are what ruin the middle class (long term). I still have a mortgage, for now.

Disclaimer: I'm full of shit & should not be taken very seriously

Also I really want a Submariner but they seem small compared to my SKX

#1218 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Guess I am a little confused. If the interest rate on my mortgage is 3.75% but I I'm earning 6-9% on my investments...tell me why I should pay off my mortgage?
Same with cars. In the past I've gotten car loans for as little as 1% interest over 5 years. Doesn't really motivate me to pay it off early.

You're not earning 6%-9%

You're leveraging the roof your family lives under for 2%-5% after subtracting the mortgage rate, fees & some taxes. Take the average & its maybe 3.5%? We all have different risk tolerance but 3.5% net is not enough for me. Especially when the S&P is like the highest its ever been since its like ever been lol.

The 1% incentive is understandable if you are the 1% using it as a tool. 99% are not. Inflation washes that one out for you.

I dont chase the highest gain. If I did I'd go balls deep on a HELOC to make short term trades or a fixed mortgage to buy some high yield junk bonds. But that scares me.

Sorry I ruined the thread... but gold Submariners are a trigger for me

#1223 6 years ago

Taking out a mortgage is just fine. I did.

Keeping one while living high on the hog is not fine.

Meaning folks shouldn't complain about how impossible it is to pay cash for a house while buying a Rolex or some shit.

IMO

#1225 6 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Im in suburbia north of Toronto. A new home now sells on a premium 35' x 88' lot (postage stamp imo) 2500 sq. ft will put you into the 1.5M+ bracket.
Townhouse row homes are pushing the 1M+ mark now. Sucks.

Yeah but weed & hoes are legal out there so of course its more expensive

Quoted from Monte:

A 6k sq foot home for sale in Wentzville is 529,900. They will likely grab 500,000. A 2k sq ft appears to be around 230,000.
In a major city like Chicago, that 500k buys the equivalent 2k sq foot home in a decent area. If you wanted a 6k sq foot home in the city/Decent area it's 1 mil to 2mil.
So unless you have the money, its mortgage time or you have to live with your parents and save money. (Who probably still are supporting their children and can't pay off their own mortgage.)
Or become the omega man living in a area to afford a home without a mortgage.

Move to the Suburbs like those of us in Wentzville

There are far more gentrified expensive status pockets of St Louis compared to Wentzville but I refuse to live in those inflated areas because I really like money & square footage.

#1227 6 years ago

Well I've beat a dead horse long enough. My apologies.

So... any opinions on Marathon?

(Not my pic. If I had that watch & those titties I would not be on Pinside)

https://www.marathonwatch.com/product/search-rescue-jumbo-bilingual-divers-automatic-with-day-date-jdd/

IMG_0204 (resized).JPGIMG_0204 (resized).JPG

#1239 6 years ago

Is it true the annual maitenance costs of a Rolex are apx $1K?

#1242 6 years ago

Ah, weird.

I've heard from more than one person there's a reccomended annual "cleaning" that's quite costly.

Good to know. Thanks.

6 months later
#1431 6 years ago

I just wanted to pop in & say I ordered a Seiko Turtle... in gold

lol

A “gold” dive watch nooooo

1 week later
#1436 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I just received this Seiko "Turtle" SRP77X Auto -

Hard to go wrong with this for $260.

Turtle Power!

20180117_082317 (resized).jpg20180117_082317 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1454 6 years ago

I keep thinking about getting a Rolex.

It sorta pisses me off because I know damn well its a materialistic nouveau riche braggart douche item yet here I am pondering buying one to celebrate my pending 40th.

Maybe I can get it out of my system with that blue turtle. It is damn noiyce.

#1461 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I’m in the same boat. I’ve wanted a Rolex for years, but $8k on a watch is hard to swallow.
I really want an Explorer II with a white face.

We should just split a boat lol

The price for a Rolex is indeed stupid

The white GMT Explorer is noiyce. It's on my short list actually.

#1462 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Just do it. Its something that will be passed down to your children and theirs

Yeah but so would a $10K mutual fund that grew into $200K in 35 years.

You dont seem to have a problem buying big money pins.

Agreed but money is only part of the equation. Pins are not a beacon of douchebaggery tho like a Rolex, Ed Hardy shirt, an ascot scarf or those shoes Kaneda wore.

#1467 6 years ago

Hey Ted is this guy calling us douchbags?

I'm wearing a Golden Girls T-shirt so dont mind me.

2 weeks later
#1480 6 years ago

Well have you taken the plunge yet?

No

Gonna buy a Honda Odyssey & two pins instead lol

#1486 6 years ago

Lol, well played

But to my defense the new 2018 Odyssey is baller AF.

It’s a got dayum chariot of leather, LCD and moonroof.

#1499 6 years ago

I'm happy to report the Oddysey keeps perfect time.

It's an "automatic" too lol

2 weeks later
#1503 6 years ago

I want a blue lagoon turtle

Any reccomended stores/sellers?

#1505 6 years ago

Thats not the limited edition blue lagoon tho.

I want that bright blue one.

I promise to wear it into the ocean in April lol

Appreciate the links tho mang. I might dig deeper into those submariner homages you posted a while back.

1 week later
#1524 6 years ago

I am gonna buy the srpc25 me thinks

1 month later
#1551 5 years ago

Ordered the SRPC23

Plan to match it with a polished super engineer band

Still haunted by the Rolex though. My 40th is 8 months away so if I were to ever justify buying one that would be the time. Then again on my 50th. Might as well buy another to retroactively celebrate my 30th too

The 2018 root beer GMT with rose gold accents on steel is so F’n dope but it’s so beautiful & collectible that I’d never wear it (defeating the purpose of owning IMO).

Prolly better off getting a played out Sub or unloved Explorer that I can put some serious scratches & soap scum patina on to make it more meaningful to my son when I die n shit. A watch I actually wore often vs kept in a safe.

Then again maybe I should wait until my net worth hits a particular target before buying the Rolex since it symbolizes prosperity & braggart douchebaggery.

Anyway thanks for listening to my life story lol.

F595721C-306F-4203-9FDF-943B5E567560 (resized).jpegF595721C-306F-4203-9FDF-943B5E567560 (resized).jpeg
252F0580-57F9-4CFF-A3FB-000E12DD759D (resized).jpeg252F0580-57F9-4CFF-A3FB-000E12DD759D (resized).jpeg

#1553 5 years ago

For all those pricks on IG posting their rollie wrist next to a MB steering wheel & cafe latte.

Here's a F'n Seiko next to a Honda Oddysey badge while I drank a can of Mexican Guava juice lol

20180529_151245 (resized).jpg20180529_151245 (resized).jpg

#1554 5 years ago

For context, here's what I mean

IG flex'n

b60bf2fc8a8257fe269be51c4282d2666e4c6630 (resized).jpgb60bf2fc8a8257fe269be51c4282d2666e4c6630 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1566 5 years ago

I live a terrible life

Popped the crystal on my gold turtle yesterday when flipping ribeyes on the grill.

Woe is me.

Bought a press & some tools. About to order a domed AR crystal & seal to see if I can learn how to DIY mods.

Wish me luck!

#1569 5 years ago

Just having fun

25AAA18A-E5ED-4E9D-AAFA-EDEBC876BFB8 (resized).jpeg25AAA18A-E5ED-4E9D-AAFA-EDEBC876BFB8 (resized).jpeg
#1573 5 years ago

fiberdude120 I assume you replied to me?

If so you are right

But... I'm thinking a Rolex is irresponsible before a paid off mortgage & fully funded college savings for my kids.

Then again so are pins. Dang

#1574 5 years ago

Eh maybe just one lol

I like the 41mm datejust.

Stainless with the jubilee, smooth bezel & dark rhodium dial seems to be a good combo.

Nice enough to dress up but not so nice I'm scared to wear it.

Shit. I better not go look at one...

z115570-Rolex-Datejust-41-126300---115570s-Edit001 (resized).jpgz115570-Rolex-Datejust-41-126300---115570s-Edit001 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1587 5 years ago

First time working on a watch

I'm sure a few folks would cringe at the shit I did

Let me tell ya I learned a few hard lessons. Broke a chapter ring & a made a few other mistakes.

But I made lemonade from the lemons & now there's a "gold" chaper ring & clear AR dome lens on my Seiko turtle.

20180807_115629 (resized).jpg20180807_115629 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#1635 5 years ago

Sorry to flex so hard on y'all

Screenshot_20181210-192048 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181210-192048 (resized).jpg
#1638 5 years ago

I tried to buy a Rolex last weekend

Sorta

By “tried” I mean “went to look” but based on historical data “went to look” usually ends up as “bought” with anything in life. Except in this case.

It appears Rolex’s don’t actually exist. There’s billboards, magazine ads & a Rolex website full of watches... that don’t exist.

The only stock found were solid gold GMT’s/Subs & the worst combinations of datejusts imaginable. Total turds.

Come to find out authorized Rolex dealers don’t actually sell Rolex’s. You have to go to a scalper or grey market dealer & pay marked up secondary prices to speculators.

Gonna buy Munsters or Maiden to celebrate my 40th instead.

Thanks for reading my life story. I feel better now.

#1640 5 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Which model were you looking for? The sports models (Airking/Submariners/GMTs) are always difficult to locate. I think Rolex produces is in a low numbers to keep the prices up. Of course, if you’re looking for an old man’s Datejust, they’re easy to find!

OP 39 white dial. Possibly black dial.

Vs

DJ41 white dial, jubilee bracelet & smooth bezel (all stainless). Maybe dark rhodium dial.

Unless a GMT swayed me otherwise.

I need to see all 3 at once to decide. That appears to be an issue. No worries tho, pinball is better.

1 week later
#1651 5 years ago

Gonna go to the AD again.

This time I will ask for a Rollie Rollie Rollie with a dab of ranch.

Wonder if that’s the secret password to get one?

1 month later
#1672 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I went pretty simple, but I dig it. I wear it every day, and my baby loves to put it on and walk around the house, which makes me laugh.
[quoted image]

I’m learning now Hamilton is a sliperly slope.

They have a lot of watches I like.

Too many!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 28.00
Trade
$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 300.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 65.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pw79.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballand-watches?tu=pw79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.