66DA93E6-9AFB-49D2-8E7F-3808007DCBEA (resized).jpeg
E9E65C2D-7D09-4049-B803-D5891175BA69 (resized).jpeg
BD3131CA-4CF7-4A44-8A5F-5CFEE1552C41 (resized).jpeg
74338E01-F0EA-4D28-9812-075DDFDB1AFA (resized).jpeg
20240322_094634 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240322_132249641 (resized).jpg
Seiko_Kinetic_1996 (resized).jpg
20240319_124421 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk6pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago

Man, hit my two favorite hobbies as well!!! I do the Rolex thing....always liked them, and just appreciate the craftsmanship.....

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Rolex, is one of the most over-rated watches for accurate time....Very nice Omega Op.

Not true, actually....my Daytona chronometer is VERY accurate, the most accurate is my digital Casio G-shock Atomic daily wearer (ha). But as far as craftsmanship, name recognition, retained value, etc. Rolex takes a back seat to no other......is what it is......

And a nice Montechristo diamond cut, with Grand Marnier dipped on the end...sort of brings it all together......

#79 10 years ago

GMTII, Platinum Yacht-master, Stainless and Gold Daytona w/ Black MOP Dial.........had them for years.....keepers
image.jpgimage.jpg

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

The most basic is that most fakes have quartz movements and have a "sweep" seconds hand. While genuine mechanical watches generally have a ticking seconds hand. You can spot prolly 75% of fake Rolexes by the seconds hand.
Here's a site with a pretty good rundown. http://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/rolex-info/the-top-ten-ways-to-spot-a-fake-rolex.html
Once you have a real one, you can spot most fakes from, literally, 5 feet away.

A great site!!! Have to very careful, however, as the fakes have gotten very good in some areas. Best advise...handle, wear, fully examine real versions ( weight, detail in appearance, movement, etc.) helps to spot a fake...the ONLY way to know 100% is to know who you're buying from!!! absolutely no eBay! regardless what they say.

1 year later
#122 8 years ago

Ok....I'm in.....had this one about 6 years now......

image.jpgimage.jpg

#128 8 years ago

VERY Nice!!!!!

#132 8 years ago

And a quick pic of my other 2......the GMT is my daily wearer, and Daytona is " vacation watch" ( no date, so perfect).

I really enjoy them, oddly, and doesn't hurt that they seem to be inflation proof ( quit making the black mother of pearl Daytona, so it's collectibility has risen quite a bit)

But like my pins, I just bought them because they were cool to me, not really what anyone else thought.....( been thinking about an Omega, though, as my watch winder has 4 spots...hmmmm)

image.jpgimage.jpg

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Daytona is probably one of the few watches that don't have a date function that I'd consider wearing. I really get a lot of use out of my date windows, I can never keep track.

Definitely consider it...the SS w black dial is way cool, but hard to come by...been looking...that's why it's my " vacation" watch...don't want to know the day.... .......barely want to know the time

#138 8 years ago

Sorry for the crappy pics, btw.....they really are spectacular, and comfortable wearers....

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

Anybody got a genuine Rolex stainless steel submariner with black dial and date they want to work a trade on for high end pins?

The " must have" standard......some weird reason, I never got one...easily the most identifiable and classic in the Sport series.....just went to full ceramic single piece dial....$8200.00.....buy in the Caribbean...20% off US price ( they never discount) and no sales tax.....

#141 8 years ago

I think this will be the one, actually:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly I'm done with buying watches for now. I love my Speedy, it's my daily wear, and if I want a change I put on the Aqua Terra. The money for a Daytona is just too much, I can't justify it.

Agreed....I have an AliensLE to buy!!!

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow 3900 meters...The face is supposed to mimic the ocean depth, also the ceramic bezel is nice.

Yep, this is the one that will most likely fill my #4 spot.....just badass in a very subtle way!!!

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

This is the watch I'm bidding on now....

$_57.JPG

Good luck!!!....late to Pinside today...hope you already won it!!!.....

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I owned my last watch in 2006. I was driving at about 85mph on the Interstate in Montana and noticed the battery went out for the second time in six months, so I opened the window and threw it out onto the highway in the fast lane. I made sure it landed in a spot that would get hit repeatedly until it was literally disintegrated.
Have not missed it, but I do understand the attraction to fine watches as an amazing piece of mechanical art.

Laughed out loud ...great response!!!....if only I could throw everything that pissed me off out the window my life would ROCK.....

Your last line is precisely why I like collecting them......

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

To be honest, while I have watches that cost as much as the Sub, I really feel like you are "saying something" when you wear a Rolex, and for me personally buying one would have to be tied to a life moment. Something like having a kid, or getting a promotion. Basically why I was looking at the black bay instead of the sub, even though they serve the identical purpose.

I actually have key moments tied to each of my 3 Rolex....and they are all now worth reasonably more than I paid for them. Kind of a win/ win....important to keep ALL the paperwork, boxes, etc......it's amazing how the brand has been so solid and recognizable for so long.

I find there are times to wear them, and times not ( preconceived notions on both ends of the spectrum).

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

Rolex Hulk, Stern Hulk.

image.jpg

Nice!!!....almost pulled the trigger on that one ( watch, not the pin) when those were available.....

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

The ceramic should be far more scratch resistant.....for that reason alone I'd go for it.

Correct.....ceramic wins...done....

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think we covered this already.
Fake = Watch says and looks like a Rolex (or whatever) but is not actually a Rolex. THIS is not okay.....ever. If you can't afford the name brand watch you like then....
Homage = Resembles a famous watch but has the actual manufactures name on the watch. So looks very similar to a Rolex but says Steinhart (or whatever). This is perfectly acceptable.
So, if you like the look of an expensive watch but can't afford it buy the nicest "homage" you can find in your price range. If one doesn't exist buy something else but don't buy a complete fake.
My first nice automatic was a Seiko. Cost me $100 on eBay. Still have it:
DSC00294 (1024x683).jpg

Completely correct in your statement...btw, I own other watches that I enjoy besides my Rolex(s), and aren't nearly as expensive (so no "watch snobbery" here!!). They are cool in their own right (at least in my mind anyway.....).....I'll post a couple pics tonight......mark

#217 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I am a brand snob. I don't mind admitting it. It's not so much about status though, as the story. Yes, I know it's marketing, there are artificial prices, all the stuff that's going on behind the scenes. But I still enjoy the history. The Speedmaster being the "moon watch" is just something that brings all kinds of cool things with it.
Brands like Omega and Rolex aren't just status symbols (though they surely are) they're also brands with a real history of innovation within a crazy, utterly impractical, mechanical object space. That's something I think pinball people can probably understand.
Once you spending thousands of dollars on something you're really paying as much for the intangibles as you are anything remotely practical.

I guess with that definition I fall into "brand snob" land. However, I went the Rolex due to what it is (an amazing story and timepiece), not to impress anyone.....kind of like how I buy my Pins......don't have a TRONLE because I want to belittle anyone who doesn't (or impress)....it was just my CHOICE for me, and truly enjoy them (odd, I guess).

Every time I go hi-end timepiece hunting (and I've seen, worn many, many) I can't get away from Rolex in that arena.

Thanks Aurich.....I liked your explanation and take....putting text to my thoughts is a skill I am lacking (sometimes)....mark

#218 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

But, they hold their value and in MANY cases increase in value. You take care of that Rolex and there is an excellent chance it will be worth more than you paid in twenty years.

Won't take anywhere near 20 years, btw, for substantial rise in worth.........

#231 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yup, but just be careful, it can be like crack to check in on it, worse than Craigslist.

Agreed.....must not look, must not look.....just saw a beautiful stainless Daytona....must not look....

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Just released my black dial, but the white is a keeper.

My Rolex addiction is close to my pin addiction. I always start with " I'll get rid of "x" to get " y", then end up just getting "y" without selling "x"....something is wrong with me .....ahhhh!!!

Think the black dial would be for me w/ SS, but truthfully, I don't have a sub yet, so that will be the model to fill my empty fourth spot on my winder......

Speaking of winders, which ones do you guys use/ prefer?....can't bring myself to spend the $$$ on the Orbita...using a Steinhausen now, but piece of crap....Benson???

#239 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I don't use them. I don't mind winding up a watch and setting it when I go to wear one. I think I'm more anal about unnecessary wear and tear on an automatic running 24/7 then just setting it when I want to wear it. I can go for many months without wearing a particular watch.

A better man than I, in this case ( I think)....it's pretty much known that high end timepieces are meant to be worn, and last for decades and decades. There has been debate ( not much support)that letting a watch spring go completely " dead" then rewound does more harm than good.

These aren't electronic pieces, and regular ( expensive) factory service keeps these things running well. All the manufacturers pretty much recommend that the movement keeps " moving". If you have valid info to the contrary, I've learned something new, and will be very grateful......mark

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

That makes no sense. And without actual evidence I will dismiss it (not you......it). I'm an "evidentialist" and only believe things to the degree that their is evidence to support it. I also change my beliefs (or the degree) as new evidence emerges.

Actually can you show me where a manufacturer recommends this? That still wouldn't be evidence to follow such a recommendation but it would be interesting to read their recommendation and see if they provide an explanation with it.

Not meant to be an attack at all...just an honest question ( as far as brand), and information that I believe is commonplace.....will dig up some info I used to make my decision to go the winder route....

I got wrapped up in the Jpop thread last night, and hopefully didn't come off in the wrong way here, after engaging that to a degree....if I did, I apologize ( those are the threads I REALLY need to drain).....mark

#244 8 years ago

Wow....just went to the Rolex forum, and apparently 2 schools of thought regarding winders, but seem to boil down to convenience, not wear and tear on the watch ( apparently neither has significant impact)....I stand corrected, Astropin, but still will keep mine on a winder, because they don't get worn all the time, and believe screwing and unscrewing the crown would eventually be damaging.....mark

1 week later
#268 8 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Here's what my collection looked like a few days ago. Seiko Astron, Rolex Submariner, 1960s Omega Constellation and Grand Seiko Spring Drive 10th Anniversary. Both Seikos are now sold. image.jpg

Ditto.....like that Omega a lot!!!

#272 8 years ago

Thanks guys! The Omega was my late father's. I plan to pass it on to my son. I have regular maintenance performed for longevity.

Yes...maintenance is a must on any of these fine mechanical marvels.....I hope my Son appreciates mine someday....again..a beautiful piece!!!....thanks for sharing.....mark

#273 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I like this one....but the Longines is what I'm bidding on...

omega c.JPG
long.JPG

I shall blame you if I wander to that sight and buy something!!!

1 week later
#334 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Decided to go with the Steinhart for now. Will be here Monday from Germany.

Messages_Image1531395266.png

Very nice!!!

#336 8 years ago

I now blame all of you for my renewed enthusiasm to fill my fourth winder spot.....this is it.....will go with rose gold and brown band...ahhhhh....calling my St. Thomas Dealer Tuesday....

http://www.rolex.com/watches/cellini-date/m50515-0007.html

image.jpgimage.jpg

#338 8 years ago

Absolutely stunning!

Thank you...my thoughts exactly.....will post pics when it gets here....very excited!!!

#340 8 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

How about a Nixie tube watch? Always thought these were cool.image.jpg image.jpg

Cool, and dangerous looking at the same time...like!!!

#344 8 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

'86 Speedy

speedy.jpg

Very nice!!!...

1 year later
#861 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

Just picked up this beauty.

My daily wearer...great watch!!!....haven't been on this thread in awhile...some great looking pieces here!!!

#862 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I now blame all of you for my renewed enthusiasm to fill my fourth winder spot.....this is it.....will go with rose gold and brown band...ahhhhh....calling my St. Thomas Dealer Tuesday....
http://www.rolex.com/watches/cellini-date/m50515-0007.html

I've resisted for personal reasons, but heading down to St Maartin in March to pick this one up....FINALLY!!!

#866 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've never been interested in a Casio, but these new Mudmaster's have my interest, especially the upcoming Maharishi version. Would be nice to have a rugged watch when I'm out on the trails with my friends in the Wranglers.
This watch is huge though. Will need to see one in person before ever deciding to pull the trigger. This isn't exactly a cheap G-Shock.

I've got the atomic synced, solar g-shock....highly recommend!!!...( don't recall the model, but around $200.00 I think). A must have when your doing anything outdoors, as they are incredibly rugged....the one you post looks great!!!

#867 7 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

I went the opposite direction. I started with the 200mm f/4.0 back in the day and found the depth of field too shallow for what I wanted to capture, replaced it with the 105mm f/2.8.

Sadly ( not really) sold all my pro camera stuff several months back. I admire those that get into it, but ultimately too intense for me ( plus hated carrying around a backpack for beach shots, to find I was too paranoid to use it)...worried about the sand and all the other elements.

An enthusiasts hobby, for sure....pics look great!!!

#869 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I wish the one I posted was only $200! Unfortunately it's more than 4 times that.

Ouch!!! Looks good, but may have to test drive that one first!!!

#870 7 years ago

I like it way better than the Seiko, however ( just imho)....

#877 7 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving!!! ( decided to break out vacation watch today)

20161124_102415 (resized).jpg20161124_102415 (resized).jpg

#910 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Someone had asked for pictures of my Submariner... I will probably sell this as I just don't have time to mess with a watch hobby too. I know this is a fairly sought-after watch so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Nice!!!....you'll want to list it on one of the reputable sites mentioned above. And DEFINITELY try to get some good, close up pics, include serial #, and all history you have on it. Certain years of Rolex are much more desirable than others...the good news...that's probably THE standard for a collector ( although I went GMTII) so you should sell it fast if priced competitively...GLWS!!!....mark

#912 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thanks - this better not be another pinball-shaped rabbit hole I'm about to journey down
I am not sure what year it is, but I went for a quote from one of the sites, so we'll see how that goes. I do have the serial # and some other info. I'm glad you mentioned that some years are more valuable than others - I'll have to find that out.
Again, thanks - this is all info you don't get just by googling...
As far as the pics.. yeah I suck at taking pictures for some reason. My wife has the really awesome camera but I don't know how to use it!!

Ha...nah, you're in a way better state than PB " rabbit holes".......that piece is worth legit $$ and always will be (18k gold and Rolex are commodities as well as collectible). You HAVE to have great pics to get your best price though, as they will pick you apart w scratches, etc. ALL paperwork ( serial # will tell you the year), boxes, tags, etc. worth real $$$ if they match. A fair or slightly under # and you'll sell it in under 24 hrs.

Now is a great time to sell, w holidays around the corner. You can pm me w serial # and I can get you some legit prices. I'm pretty good w the sport models and happy to help a fellow pinsider ( I'm not in the market for that model, sadly, or I'd make you an offer myself...).....mark

#929 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

No. They want to see if the watch was maintained. Sometimes it can be $500 for the service from Rolex. What was the price they gave you?

correct. that was part of the documentation I mentioned.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

HM, I don't have that documentation- this was a gift from my dad and I know he paid more than the 9k they offered. Not that I'm bitching mind you! I know it's a killer watch. I was just surprised it was sooo off.
Let me clarify too , I was looking for an appraisal value not a sale, which is what the number they offered is for. Clearly there's markup but I have no clue what the margins are in this business.

did they offer to buy it for 9k, or "appraise" it at 9k? As stated earlier, appraisals mean nothing (except to insurance companies who want to charge a premium based on it, but never pay replacement value).

A new version of your watch can be had for around 20k, and has a ceramic bezel, so I would think 9k would be way low, unless it's broken. Even then, those links are solid 18k, so still valuable.

Probably the best reason to own a Rolex is that they retain (sometimes appreciate) value.

#933 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

He said it was an offer to buy.
If a new version of that watch can be had for $20k, and his was made in 1978 and he has no documentation and no records of proper maintenance (let's face it, that is going to be of extreme importance to anyone thinking about putting up this kind of money), I don't think the $9k offer is that far out of line from a retailer (who will be taking many risks involved in the purchase and will have to have the watch professionally cleaned and serviced).
My guess is that if the retailer paid $9k for the watch, they would probably list it for twice that amount and go down from there.

You're spot on Rob. A reseller would be a bit above pawnshop pricing, and given the lack of service records (sooo important), and condition (even in the poor photo, you can tell the band is scratched badly), there is risk involved, and the Dealer will have to put $$ in it.

Retail on this model is closer to $25k, but most guys I know buy them offshore from a reputable dealer, where they can get 20% and no tax (Rolex holds the line pretty hard in the states).

A shame, as if it was taken care of with paperwork, could be privately sold for 16-18k in a heartbeat, and back in '78, probably only paid 12k for it new.

To Op - If it came from your Dad, I'd suggest you investing in having it serviced by Rolex, then you know what you have. Keep it and wear/ enjoy it. If someone asks you what it's worth, tell them its priceless, given the source. If you want to get rid of it, you could probably shop it a bit and get 12k (imho). Good luck with whatever your direction.....

1 year later
#1417 6 years ago

Added a nice dress watch to my lineup....finally bought it, a great timepiece!!!!

20171209_221233 (resized).jpg20171209_221233 (resized).jpg

#1419 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

VERY NICE! Pinball with class! Bravo.

Simple, subtle, yet a very nice piece....felt it was best displayed in front of my TAF .....thanks!!!!

#1422 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

My double green (hulk) with our emerald green LE WOZ. The watch is mine, the pin is hers.

Very nice!!!....I remember when they offered that color...as long as your Wife shares, your all good

#1423 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Hey another lefty...but I wear my watches on my left.

That's pretty cool..Im a pure lefty, except when I played guitar years ago...oddly gravitated to right handed style...

#1426 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Pure lefty also... except for scissors and weapons. I'm right eye dominant so I shoot right handed.

We are crazy similiar in this aspect!!! I still shoot left handed, but my right eye is dominate...Im spot on w the pistol, but rifle is a bit challenging

1 month later
#1440 6 years ago

THAT is an awesome watch!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk6pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballand-watches?tu=mk6pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.