20240328_132611 (resized).jpg
20240328_133155 (resized).jpg
20240328_132004 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_125215854 (resized).jpg
584B2BD0-71AB-4AFA-885B-9BBA9C938FB8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3801 (resized).JPG
IMG_3803 (resized).JPG
66DA93E6-9AFB-49D2-8E7F-3808007DCBEA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mike_j.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 10 years ago

Love the Speedy Pro, congrats.

Patek and IWC are my favorite makers. I still have my old PP3940 in YG and have a soft spot for the IWC Portuguese line wearing my 3712 everyday.

#69 10 years ago

These are very nice. Can you snap a close up of the watch which is second from the left? I love that mesh bracelet. Is that an 18K deployant buckle?

Quoted from spfxted:

Yes, I was. Sold most off though. Had the Rolex for quite a while. I had a $3k custom band made for it. (as I did for most of my watches) Most were 18k. I still have my solid gold Movado with custom 18k and diamond bracelet. I'll snap a pic tonight for you "watch guys"

watches1.jpg 75 KB

watches 2.jpg 25 KB

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Sure...and yes.

watch cu.jpg 43 KB

watch cu 2.jpg 37 KB

Very nice.

1 year later
#157 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

This is the watch I'm bidding on now....

$_57.JPG

I hope you won.

I've had a 3940 for almost 15 years and it is still my favorite.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I admire fine watches, but just have no desire to spend the money on the man jewlery

I own quite a few watches, but rarely wear them. I consider them to be art and keep many displayed around my home.

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If I was willing to spend the coin, the IWC Portuguese would be near the top of my list.

Messages Image(398571071).png

You won't regret it.

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I am way too practical to do something like that.

Admittedly, I purchased them as an investment.

Some have appreciated and others have tanked, but they sure are pretty look at. I probably haven't made a dime, but haven't lost one either.

#233 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed.....must not look, must not look.....just saw a beautiful stainless Daytona....must not look....

Just released my black dial, but the white is a keeper.

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

My Rolex addiction is close to my pin addiction. I always start with " I'll get rid of "x" to get " y", then end up just getting "y" without selling "x"....something is wrong with me .....ahhhh!!!
Think the black dial would be for me w/ SS, but truthfully, I don't have a sub yet, so that will be the model to fill my empty fourth spot on my winder......
Speaking of winders, which ones do you guys use/ prefer?....can't bring myself to spend the $$$ on the Orbita...using a Steinhausen now, but piece of crap....Benson???

I have accumulated quite a few of the Scatola del Tempo single boxes over the last 15 years. My local dealer had them on close out at one time and the price was too low to resist. I've yet to have one fail on me.

As a gift this past Christmas, I received a Wolf Viceroy 2.7 from my wife. I love the digital display which allows you to set the number of rotations.

You can certainly spend much more or much less, bit I really like the look, feel and overall performance of both.

1 week later
#305 8 years ago

Sweet watches from Ted and Astropin.

7 months later
#490 8 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Nice. Daytona, Deep Sea, and Submariner in black are only Rolexs I would ever own. I have a Deep Sea and that fills my one Rolex quota for now. A solid gold Daytona might be on my radar in the near future. That or a solid gold AP ROO.

I bought the new (2013) platinum Daytona soley because of the blue dial. I am not a Rolex guy, but I love the watch. I replaced the bracelet with a strap and wear it almost everyday.

I have the Royal Oak Offshore in all gold with bracelet, but be careful what you wish for. This thing is very heavy and it spends more time in its case than on my wrist.

#492 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I still like the older stuff....

rolex_zephyr_1_(resized).jpgrolex_zephyr_2_(resized).jpg

Yep, pretty tough to beat that.

You have some really nice pieces.

#497 8 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

My 1998 Rolex Thunderbird. It's been on my wrist nearly every day for these 18 years and still looks amazing.

rolli_(resized).jpg

Love the turn-o-graph bezel.

#507 8 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Most Subs have the Cyclops eye. Can't stand it that's why I got the Sea Dweller.

And the only reason I wanted a Sub was for the cyclops.

1 month later
#583 8 years ago

I wonder if an $8,000 pinball machine will ever match the build quality/quality of materials and attention to detail found in an $8,000 watch.

#589 8 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Here is an image of it - crappy resolution, but you get the general idea. Images on the Rolex site are beautiful.
new_Daytona_(resized).jpg
Better yet, here is a link
http://on.rolex.com/1SS2AEV

I'm in, but still keeping my old Daytona with Zenith movement.

1 month later
#661 7 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Wearing this today. Time for a beer.

Great, great watch.

A real sleeper here in the U.S.

3 months later
#743 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I've been meaning to do this for a long time; this morning I bought a Grand Seiko Snowflake. I love the Spring Drive, the textured face and the smooth motion of the blue sweep hand. Sorry for the poor photos.

Simply a fantastic watch that far too few people know about.

It's on my short list.

#746 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Best price I could find on Ebay.....and asking for a Best Offer!
ebay.com link » Grand Seiko Spring Drive Sbga001 Steel Silver Dial Bracelet Watch Power Reserve

You are getting tremendous value at that price. I just love what Seiko did this with this line.

2 months later
#821 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Someday I'll have an A. Lange & Sohn! Got any leads?

I bought my Langematik with date from Paladin in NY almost a decade ago. His price was the best I could find for a NIB Lange with papers.

http://www.paladinltd.net/Lange&Sohne.htm

4 weeks later
#876 7 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

When I was a teenager in the 1970s, my father gave me this Omega Seamaster. Back then, I thought that this timepiece was cool indeed, just like my dad. He loved pinball. One of his friends was Stan Harris, who was a major pinball distributor in the northeast, including in southern New Jersey, where I grew up. We always had a few woodrails or pitch & bats in the basement, all with the "Stan Harris" sticker on the apron. Whenever we traveled, Dad was always a reliable source of coins for me, my brother and sister, to feed the pinball machines.
Dad died rather suddenly 16 years ago. Ever since, this watch connects me to him and to my fond memories of him. For me, the design of these Omega watches is (pardon the pun) timeless.
My love for pinball started with Dad and I can't help but think how much he would have loved participating in the hobby today. He would have turned 87, a few weeks ago. I imagine that most of us on this forum owe our love for this hobby to our fathers. Here's to the guy who bestowed a whole lot of wisdom on me, not the least of which was to introduce me to pinball.

Thank you for your story.

Also, your Dad looks like a 60's movie star. I could imagine him in a movie with Newman or McQueen.

2 weeks later
#942 7 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Nothing crazy expensive like most of you guys have, but I got this Boluva last week.

What is the depth rating on that? 300m?

#944 7 years ago

Thanks, good looking watch.

The numbers are right off of the old Blancpain Fifty Fathoms/GMT from the Trilogy series.

#945 7 years ago

Thanks, good looking watch.

The numbers are right off of the old Blancpain Fifty Fathoms/GMT from the Trilogy series.

1 month later
#995 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I live in Hong Kong, watch capital of the world (maybe after Singapore). There are literally dozens of Omega authorized dealers and probably a half dozen Omega Boutiques here. I'm gonna head out and see if I can find the new Speedy!

I'm in, but was willing to accept any number.

#1003 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

mike_j , you got one reserved? Good on-ya!

Yes, I work with an Omega dealer in NJ and he was kind of enough to give me the heads up on its release.

It'll go nice with my small collection of coaxials.

3 weeks later
#1045 7 years ago

Sweet

1 month later
#1088 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Ok interestingly enough...
I want to get a watch. I have a budget under a grand or so. I love watches but I only want 1.
What watch should I get? I would like something I can wear with anything. I don't wear suits. I also don't mind switching out the watch in a year or so. Or if it's perfect that is great too!
I would like to hear opinions on the one you would or did pick. Thanks.

Nothing new.

I would look for a late 90's Omega Dynamic with arabic numerals on bracelet or strap.

#1095 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

???
You can get the quality of a 10k watch for 1k. You just can't get the recognition or possibly the ability for the watch to hold its value. (Note only Rolex and certain Omega's hold their value well.....everything else you are rolling the dice on that one).
So what can you get for 1K.....just about anything. You can get an "In-House" automatic movement. You can get great fit and finish & style. You can get a sapphire crystal with AR coatings. You can get high quality stainless steel case and bracelet. You can get a ceramic bezel......and so on.
In my mind it's tough to beat Seiko at almost any price point....."bang for buck".

Which 1K steel watch matches the overall quality of a 10K steel watch from JLC or Rolex? Is there anything at 1K which matches the finish of JLC's Caliber 925?

Aside from some of the least desirable Calatrava models, Patek seem to hold its value pretty well, no? It is tough to lose money on a steel Aquanaut.

I am with you on Seiko 100%.

4 weeks later
#1130 7 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

PAM505, Tudor Heritage Adviser, Oris BC3...
All patiently waiting to be worn...

I like that Tudor. The color scheme of the dial is very IWC-like.

1 week later
#1148 7 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Not everyone's cup of tea but I love it! New Tag Heuer Connected 45 I picked up a couple weeks ago..

Are you happy with the clarity of the screen?

#1153 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Eleven years and counting since I owned a watch.

If you appreciate mechanical art, you're missing out.

1 month later
#1165 6 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Just picked this up. IWC Aquatimer.

Rarely can you go wrong with a watch brand as well respected as IWC.

Congrats.

1 month later
#1185 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I bet 98% of all Submariners never see the water.

Quite a few of the Comex have seen water, but they are few and far between.

#1190 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Anyone ever read "The Millionaire Next door"? It ain't the 1% buying this shit. It's more often than not the folks with a disproportionately low net worth compared to their high W2 & years worked (UAW, AAW, PAW).
Anyway I have a few Seikos & might still get a sub lol

I agree to an extent.

It is the same with the dopey women carrying the hideous bags with LV stamped all over them when they can't scrape together bus fare.

3 months later
#1308 6 years ago

No

#1311 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Sooo...maybe $200 if it was in front of a guy that wanted a Bulova watch right then?
John

I think you're looking at $150 for the person who wants that Bulova watch.

#1315 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

If it were silver rather than gold I'd be interested. Good luck!

It's definitely a nice design.

4 weeks later
#1366 6 years ago

You might want to check out the old Fortis Porsche Super Cup watches.

They're pretty nice and fairly rare.

#1378 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Amazon has had some slick deals the last couple days that seem like good deals, but I really only know enough to end up getting screwed. Are there any specific things to avoid when looking for a lower end automatic?
The Bulova was about the same price yesterday ~$275
amazon.com link »
amazon.com link »

Check out Tissot and Invicta as well for an entry level automatic.

#1381 6 years ago

I would pay quite a bit for a Rolex Oysterquartz, rare and interesting for a Rolex.

#1395 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I have a nice Seiko I might be willing to let go..... Pix if you want....

I like that model with the day/date.

2 months later
#1459 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I keep thinking about getting a Rolex.
It sorta pisses me off because I know damn well its a materialistic nouveau riche braggart douche item yet here I am pondering buying one to celebrate my pending 40th.
Maybe I can get it out of my system with that blue turtle. It is damn noiyce.

Great watch, buy it.

#1463 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Yeah but so would a $10K mutual fund that grew into $200K in 35 years.

Agreed but money is only part of the equation. Pins are not a beacon of douchebaggery tho like a Rolex, Ed Hardy shirt, an ascot scarf or those shoes Kaneda wore.

Just buy the damn watch already. You won't regret it.

As an aside, anyone over 12 wearing one of those Hardy shirts looks ridiculous.

#1472 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I have a Rolex and Ed Hardy shirt.....

Why would you ever depart from the tried and true Hawaiian?

They look great.

#1476 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Wearing today. Solid gold Omega. Custom made solid gold band.

Hot damn, that thing is sweet.

2 weeks later
#1481 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

No
Gonna buy a Honda Odyssey & two pins instead lol

Bummer.

#1487 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Lol, well played
But to my defense the new 2018 Odyssey is baller AF.
It’s a got dayum chariot of leather, LCD and moonroof.

I respectfully retract my "bummer."

Well played.

#1488 6 years ago
Quoted from bbhenry2000:

If I'm dropping $8k on a watch, it sure as hell ain't gonna be a Rolex. "Can you show me to the Breitling counter, please?"

Breitling has come a long way, especially with their movements.

The dials are just a bit too busy for me.

#1490 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

I also found most of them too large with the exception of the Bentley mark vi (which I bought). Stock photo but will one day post a pic of some of my watches .... er, time pieces

That is very nice.

#1493 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I agree. I like simple, classic, vintage and not too big....

Is that your watch?

What is the history on that one? How long have you owned it?

#1495 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

A few years. It's 60's I believe. Gold and stainless. (18K Rolex thingy) Toad band. Got the band from the guy here. Expensive, but cool...

Did that buckle/clasp come with it?

Damn nice.

2 weeks later
#1513 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It also happens when the band is too stiff. Try breaking in the band a little.

The band looks brand new to me. Is it?

The band almost appears vertical at the lugs? If so, this will relax and should soon provide the feel you are looking for.

4 months later
#1592 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Water resistant, huh? Niagara Falls was a little humid. Bowl of rice or something to fix the condensation under the crystal?[quoted image]

How old is the watch? Depending on age, the seals may have deteriorated.

Is it still under manufacturer's warranty?

#1594 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Just a couple years old. Doubt its still under warranty but after a few days back home, it cleared up again.

Definitely a seal issue.

I would wear the heck out of it until it no longer runs.

2 months later
#1621 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

All this talk about watches made me interested in getting one. I haven't worn a watch for a few years, replaced by my cellphone. What do you guys think about the Tissot Heritage 1948 as a starter watch? I don't like gigantic faces as I have small wrists and also wear my watch on my right hand, and I don't like the buttons to dig into my arm.
Watch is about $800ish and i'd like to keep it under $1000. I'm going to try and try one on today if they have one at the watch store.[quoted image]

Tissot makes a nice watch.

4 weeks later
#1631 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Anything to look for in winders? Are they all pretty much the same? Are they noisy?

I have two Scatolas which are the quietest I own and 3 of the single Wolfs which, while a bit louder, are not objectionable.

However, I bought them because I thought they looked nice. I've been collecting mechanical watches for 25 years and a winder is hardly a necessity.

1 year later
#1788 4 years ago

Bought a NIB Hulk from Leonardo in Red Bank, NJ last year for my nephew for 13.5K as a graduation present.

I found that to be a silly Price since I’d paid less for my SS Daytona from the same dealer, but that what the kid wanted.

#1790 4 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Are they really that much? I have one I purchased new a couple of years ago for 9050.00 but I see the price has been jumping. Very nice watch no matter what the price. I think my next purchase will be a deep sea.

That’s a good question. I probably got ripped off, but I was desperate to find a new one. If I recall correctly, they had a gently used one with box and papers for just over 10K.

1 week later
#1799 4 years ago
Quoted from Time:

See this this IS a thing! People get a Rolex for graduation. That happens. I tried convincing my parents this when I graduated high school (some many years back) but they laughed. They never did buy me a Rolex even after graduating college. Pfff
I recently finished an MBA and just bought my own damn Rolex. Used - but the exact model I wanted after high school.
With such lack luster games coming out recently, Pinball has me in a bit of a funk. I sold two high-end pins recently, but nothing from my wish list is coming up locally or at sane prices. Hoping for a re-issue of JJPOTC at a CE level, but who knows if/when that might happen. Nothing on the horizon inspires me at the moment. I think I'm going to get more into watch collecting for the time being.
[quoted image]

Is that a salmon dial Explorer? Nice.

My nephew had graduated med school. I’m not sure I would buy a Rolex for a high school graduation.

#1801 4 years ago
Quoted from Time:

Same movement from the Explorer of this era (caliber 3000) but this is the Air King and slightly smaller at 34mm.

I never actually expected they'd buy it. I knew a kid that got one for HS and so that's what gave me the idea to ask (somewhat jokingly). I picked out the Air King because I had small wrists at the time. I still like the smaller case though. I have enough big watches that it makes this a little more special being small IMO.

Nice. It’s a good looking watch.

3 weeks later
#1825 4 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Got this beautiful GMT root beer CHNR last week for my wife with the help of fellow pinsider and watch enthusiast Gprotein[quoted image][quoted image]

Love that bezel.

1 month later
#1854 4 years ago

Just ordered one of these for the wife. It’s shipping from Singapore so I don’t think it will arrive for a couple of weeks.
It’s NOS so the watch is as close to perfect as you can find in 2020.

DE9192D5-560C-4BD4-B27E-5203C82A6CDC (resized).jpegDE9192D5-560C-4BD4-B27E-5203C82A6CDC (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#1901 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Picked up this cool vintage reissue Yema Navygraf with in house movement. Interesting French watch company with a lot of history. Their Superman watch might be my next purchase.[quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool. Would you mind posting a photo of the caseback?

1 week later
#1908 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I’ll take some higher quality pics when I get back home from work. Here’s a stock image of the caseback, unfortunately it’s solid but with a nice etched design. [quoted image]

Very cool, thanks.

5 months later
#1941 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I’m not on Pinside much any more, but have enjoyed this thread. So, I blame you guys.....I finally broke down and bought an Omega Seamaster. I’ve always wanted one.....I can finally be in the club
[quoted image]

Congrats, that’s timeless, no pun intended.

5 months later
#1989 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Wow! Very nice rolex. What type is that one? Looks incredible (and vastly larger than any of mine).

The 16628 is the Yacht Master. When it was first launched it had a stainless bracelet, platinum bezel and silver dial. I bought one for my wife, but she rarely wears it. The yellow gold that AMSNL posted is quite striking and would be my choice today.

Here’s a photo of one online because I have no idea where my wife’s is -

Yacht Master (resized).jpegYacht Master (resized).jpeg
#1992 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

The nice thing about these older yachtmaster series that it was availble in 34/36/40 mm . So there was More choice to the wrist. But they are sleepers and discontinued . I think these will
Go sky high ,like the rest in a matter of years
I still have it
[quoted image]

That’s it. And you’re exactly right about the sizes. My wife tried on all three, before choosing the 40mm.
At the time, Blancpain had something call the Trilogy series. There was a chronograph, GMT and standard chronometer with date. The neat thing about these watches was that they had a polished stainless bezel very similar in appearance to the Yacht Master.

#1994 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Mike_J awsome that you mention it and you have a Verry good memory! The trilogy (gmt) fifty something was a outstanding watch and looked about the same. [quoted image]

AMSNL - That’s it! Gorgeous watch.
Wow, you’re good!

6 months later
#2129 2 years ago

Has anyone purchased the latest version of the Omega X-33?

1 month later
#2143 2 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Still would like to move some of my high end watches. Local inspect, cash, and carry/meet up deals only in the NJ, PA, NY, CT, DE, MA.. areas. Some watches I have:
Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller
AP ROO on bracelet
Panerai 25
Omega Speedmaster Chrono
Omega Planet Ocean Chrono
Cartier Roadster Chrono Stainless
Cartier Santos XL Chrono Stainless and Gold
Hublot Big Bang Ceramic Steel Rubber on matching bracelet.
Many more, all mint and hardly worn. Boxes and papers for all except I can't find them for the Rolex.
Message me if you are interested.
Thanks,
Ant

Try Timezone.
They’ll be gone within a week.

4 months later
#2179 1 year ago
Quoted from gprotein:

This new piece I have no problem reading the time. Amazingly beautiful to stare, I mean to look at.
[quoted image]

Congrats, very sharp.

Milgauss? Dial color? (sorry, but my eyes are not working)

#2185 1 year ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Mesmerizing color combo: it starts with radiant sunburst blue dial, a sweeping orange lightening bolt second hand, and a green sapphire crystal to top it off
[quoted image]

Gorgeous. That’s my kind of watch.

3 months later
#2279 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I placed my interested order for the Rolex 41 Oyster Perpetual. I really like them in person and the 41 looked perfect on my wrist. I can't decide but said would take any color of Silver, Black or Blue. I think the silver looks the most classy but the darker watch faces have better contrast.
I have no idea when they will call me, they like to make them very exclusive.. I am looking for something that doesn't overlap too much in the meantime (guess I am starting a mini collection).
I don't really like any dive watches looked at several such as Breitling and Omega. I think I want something more light and playful.
I am just looking but this one caught my eye as a more everyday watch with the Rolex being as a more dressy watch (Silver).
I have not decided on my less dressy watch but would like some suggestions, not too chunky and hopefully no date.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Buy the green face. It looks sharp and you can wear it with virtually anything.
I bought my nephew the light blue, which is beautiful, when he graduated medical school a couple of years ago, but I don’t believe Rolex offers it any longer.
The silver is pleasant, but a bit ubiquitous.

1 month later
#2340 1 year ago

I’ve been in 3 Rolex stores in Vegas since Tuesday. No one has any stock at all. I’m trying to buy an Explorer II Polar with no luck.

Unless you are a long time, valued customer, you are not getting a NIB Explorer II from an authorized dealer right now.
A couple of those dealers probably have the watch in stock, too.

#2345 1 year ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

My 70's matte dial sub. My neighbor doesn't have one.
[quoted image]

Those tritium dials age the best.

#2350 1 year ago
Quoted from epotech:forget buying a Rolex from an AD. Just not going to happen. Stupid state of affairs but look at the grey market e.g. Chrono24. Expect to pay at least double MSRP.

If patient, you should be able to find a NIB Explorer II Polar between 13 and 14k.

#2358 1 year ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

The point about being careful is a good one but that's just a good general rule. Look flashy and you're going to need to be a bit more aware.
A relationship with an AD really helps when it comes to purchases. A friend at an AD helped me with a new Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial earlier this year. I wasn't asked to make any additional purchases but I ended up buying a nice new anniversary ring for my wife at the same time. You know things have gotten wild when there's a wait to buy a Datejust!
[quoted image]

That’s sharp.

4 weeks later
#2395 1 year ago

I just wanted to follow up on this post. I visited the same 3 Rolex stores everyday for 5 days while I was in Vegas and they had nothing. Well, at least that’s what they said.
Based on what everyone posted here about them not selling to people they don’t know, I decided fuck Rolex.
I bought a Bond Premium instead.
[quoted image]

Haha, you showed them.
If you still want one of the best sports/diver watches available, you should consider a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms https://delraywatch.com/copy-of-new-blancpain-fifty-fathoms-automatique-blue-dial-steel-on-bracelet/

#2411 1 year ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

Best I can do on that request. T-dial Speedmaster is the only Omega in my collection.
[quoted image]
Vintage Rolex is probably a better match for Connery era Bond though. I'd make a shot with a 6538 Big Crown if I had one Tudor Black Bay 58 is probably the closest visually, this side of the real deal.
[quoted image]

The old tritium subs are the best.
Love it when the tritium turns cream in color.

3 months later
#2505 11 months ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:Is there a way to calculate them? I tried finding an online calculator which then required a HS code. There are about 30 options when it comes to wrist watches.

No, there is no way to precisely calculate what you will be charged.
On Chrono24, only purchase from U.S. sellers who agree to buyer’s protection.

1 week later
#2513 10 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Picked up a seikonaut.
[quoted image]

For a second, you had me.

#2530 10 months ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Anybody check out the new Brequet Type XX’s. I think there might be some great deals on the older models for the next few weeks. I’ve already started my search.[quoted image]

Back in 2000, you could buy the Transatlantique for $3,500 NIB.
At that price, it made a lot of sense.

At today’s price, I’d take a Blancpain chronograph before the Breguet. The BP is on another level in terms of overall finishing (case and movement) and the X71 bracelet is one of the best from any manufacturer.

#2537 10 months ago
Quoted from DennisK:

A few months ago I got rid of most of my dress watches. I wanted a Lange 1. Found a used model but it needed a service so I recently did get that back and it's working well now.
So I keep telling myself "self, no more dress watches." I did keep my Reverso though. Exceptions, always exceptions.
Photo:
[quoted image]

Gorgeous.

I purchased mine from Cellini at the Waldorf around 2002. In terms of overall finishing, it’s still my number one. Would like to purchase a Datograph before I leave this world.

2 weeks later
#2572 10 months ago
Quoted from DennisK:I purchased a new chronograph. My first "nice" watch was a Citizen chronograph which I used quite a bit to time things. My first, and until now, only mechanical chronograph was a Hamilton but I absolutely hated it. The watch was huge, way too top heavy, and to-date is the most unbalanced watch I've ever worn.
The new one is a Zenith Chronomaster Original. I held off for a while for two reasons. First, initial reports when the Caliber 3600 movement came out is there were some issues with them so I wanted to wait to get a later run to minimize the risk of needing an early service repair. Second, at 38mm I was very unsure if I would find it too small for a chronograph. The Chronomaster Sport line seemed a safer size, but I wasn't enamored with how much like a Daytona those appear to be.
There is no Zenith dealer in the area so I was going to have to take a chance. Good news is I do think they laid it out quite legibly. This is very much a mirror of their historic A386 in most regards.
[quoted image]

Congratulations on one heck of a watch.
How do you like the bracelet?

#2574 10 months ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Bracelet is "okay" but more on the negative side of average in my opinion for a watch at this price tier.
Positives:
1) Five micro-adjust positions so you should be able to get a good fit and (as long as you're not by default in the last position) can adjust if your wrist swells.
Negatives:
1) Micro-adjust does require a tool (lots of brands are moving away from this).
2) No quick-release (again, this is becoming more common to do now).
3) The clasp is not impressive. It's hard to grab with a finger and I find it easier just to hold the sides and pull HARD to release it. It feels secure and all, just tough to actually take it off because of the design.
Other:
1) High-polish center links are going to be a scratch magnet. Very odd decision there in my opinion. Whether this is good or bad depends on your thoughts of scratches.
2) The links are screws but there is a screw head on each side (one is like a hollow pin and a small screw goes into the open end). So you basically need two screwdrivers to stop the pin spinning to remove them. And unless you've got a holder designed for this (which I lack) it is a nightmare to try and use both hands and hold the link in position and apply enough force. One-time effort of course but I hold a grudge on these things.
So, overall, comfort is fine and it has a nice look but Zenith is clearly not investing R&D into making a better wearing/sizing experience and their competitors are so hopefully they step up their game in the future.

Thanks for posting a great summation.
Wear the watch in good health, enjoy.

#2578 10 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Time for throw back Thursday.[quoted image]

I think I bought that for my girlfriend back in 1986 when I was home from college.
Crazy the memories that brought back.

1 month later
#2606 8 months ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Received the call early this year… it’s really a great summer watch with the creamy white dial and a bright orange GMT hand
[quoted image]

The dial looks polar white to me. Some of the vintage Explorer II have the cream patina, but the new look bright white to me.
Nice watch, regardless.

1 month later
#2717 6 months ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Digging through some stuff left by my father. Is it worth getting refurbished and when was it made?[quoted image][quoted image]

It’s a great piece.
I would contact ChronoTek in Pennsylvania. They do phenomenal work and are Omega specialists.
I’m aware of a few horror stories with the Omega service center in Secaucus, NJ so they would not be my first choice to restore your father’s watch.

#2728 6 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m thinking about getting this watch, I love a simple field watch
https://underd0g.com/products/02blb
[quoted image]

Is that the one where the entire dial is luminous?
Cool.

#2734 6 months ago
Quoted from rai:

yes and the numbers are painted on to a clear disk that sits over the dial so it looks 3D [quoted image][quoted image]

And that’s a manual wind, no automatic?
any idea what they use?

#2740 6 months ago
Quoted from rai:

It’s no date so it’s easier for me, I usually wear one watch on the weekends and switch to a different watch on the next weekend so all my dates will be incorrect except for my digitals.
I tried a few date watches because they’re so common but I can hardly read the small days and don’t like cyclops either. Also I’m too fastidious to go around without setting the date like I see a lot of people do.

Get a winder.
If I didn’t have a few, I wouldn’t have the patience to constantly set a perpetual or even a date.

3 months later
#2838 3 months ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

I was moving some stuff in my office and I found an old watch I forgot about. I went to college for GM automotive - ASEP. At graduation, we received some cool gifts, one being this watch. Its an Elgin D4800/TL11/T480 with a Chevy Bowtie on the face. I just installed a new battery in it tonight. The digital works, but the analog isn't moving. I tried searching google and that model isn't showing anything. The crown pulls out to adjust the clock. It doesn't seem to wind in either direction when its pushed in. [quoted image]

Very cool.
Chronotek in PA can get it running for you again.

#2840 3 months ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

Thanks. It looks like they are in Sauderton, PA? I'll reach out to them. Any ideas what watch repairs cost? What this watch is worth?

Yes, they are in a Souderton, PA. They have serviced multiple mechanical watches for me. Your watch is quartz which should be much less expensive to service.

Send them an email explaining the problem with the watch along with a couple of photos.
It is possible they may be able to provide a ballpark estimate via email.

Unfortunately, I have no idea the value, but it is a sharp looking watch.

#2842 3 months ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

Thanks.. I reached out to them on Friday through their website, but haven't heard back yet. I know Friday up here was a Snowmageddon event, so maybe delayed response for a few inches of snow. I did look around a bit more and found some other numbers on the back cover, but still nothing identifying. I also found out that Elgin stopped their original production in the late 60's and anything made after that isn't a true Elgin. I'd still like to get it working..

Most likely, the snow slowed them down. It’s a family run business with a few watchmakers who are all true enthusiasts.

Unfortunately, the Elgin manufacturing facility in Illinois was torn down in the late 1960s like you stated. If you ever rode a train in the U.S. through the early 1980’s, it is likely that the ticket taker had an Elgin pocket watch strapped to his vest. These early Elgin timepieces were mass produced and not particularly rare, but the movements are beautiful.

#2843 3 months ago

Am I permitted to list a watch for sale in this thread?
If it sells through Pinside, I’m happy to donate.

#2848 3 months ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

I got a call this afternoon from Chronotek.. Sounds like my watch is simply going to be a decorator piece. Not a lot of serviceable parts available for it unfortunately. Oh well, still looks good.

Sorry.

2 weeks later
#2861 75 days ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Got the call! 7 weeks, first Rolex, no purchase history. 8.5” wrist

What model?

#2863 75 days ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

lol oops!! Forgot the pic

Sharp, congrats.

2 weeks later
#2888 55 days ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Was planning to finally buy a Grand Seiko… but had a massive change of opinion after years of watching YouTube videos and print catalogs.
In person, GS is technically superior to Rolex, no question. But the designs leave me cold like a set of ultra-sharp steak knives in a drawer. Lack of lume also negatively affects visibility… so it seems I’m pretty firmly in the sporty/dressy/but not too fussy category.
Thus, it’ll likely be a Tudor Black Bay 39 in champagne since I dislike Rolex (even though they have some nice designs).
Pictured is the 41mm. Could wear it, didn’t hate it, but 39mm is the sweet spot for my wrist.
[quoted image]

If you value a great bracelet, reconsider the Rolex.
The Oyster Perpetual and Explorer I are two watches that can do anything and have one of the best bracelets in the industry.

3 weeks later
#2902 33 days ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Hello,
Have an estate sale find.
Mondaine railway pocket watch.
But not Swiss made?
Has Japan movement.
Is this worth anything?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

No, but it’s pretty cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 300.00
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mike_j.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballand-watches?tu=mike_j and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.