20240328_132611 (resized).jpg
20240328_133155 (resized).jpg
20240328_132004 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_125215854 (resized).jpg
584B2BD0-71AB-4AFA-885B-9BBA9C938FB8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3801 (resized).JPG
IMG_3803 (resized).JPG
66DA93E6-9AFB-49D2-8E7F-3808007DCBEA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

276 posts in this topic match your search for posts by astropin. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I'm also a member at one of the big watch forums. Pinball and watches are my "Big Two" in hobbies with others coming and going over the years. I've loved watches probably since I was 10 or so.....roughly the same time I started playing pinball.

Well I just got the most significant and meaningful watch (to me) so far. My so called "grail". The OMEGA Speedmaster Professional - AKA "The Moon Watch". Probably the most iconic watch in history....at least in my opinion. The style has not changed since 1957.....and like a man's suit will seemingly never go out of style. First watch on the moon and it also saved the lives of the Apollo 13 crew when it was used to time their re-entry burn since the electronic timer on the ship was out. It's still the only watch authorized for by NASA for use outside of a spacecraft.....amazing.

Anyway....long story short, the folks over there wanted to see pics of the watch and the pins together....so I figured I might as well share them here as well.

DSC00162 (1024x683).jpgDSC00162 (1024x683).jpgDSC00164 (800x534).jpgDSC00164 (800x534).jpgDSC00165 (1024x683).jpgDSC00165 (1024x683).jpgDSC00170 (1024x683).jpgDSC00170 (1024x683).jpg

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Lemme ask what is probably a dumb question but I will expose myself anyways .. how do you discern a real watch from a replica* Is there a website that shows the difference? Do you only buy direct from Rolex or Omega, etc stores?
* wanted to say "refake" here but was advised I'd owe Tiki royalties

Depends on the watch but there are MANY ways to tell the real ones from the fake. Although the fakes are getting better (some of them).

In regards to my Speedmaster Professional its really pretty easy to spot 99% of the fakes.

1. In the fakes the little sub-dials are spaced way too far apart (because of the fake Chinese movements that are used most of the time). Also the spacing of the numbers on the outer "Tachymetre" ring are usually incorrect as well.

2. The fakes are normally a lot lighter due to the cheap bracelets used.

3. The fine details (The logo, they type face, the markers) are often way off on the fakes.

Replica watches are highly frowned upon.

I can remember when a $100 watch was expensive to me; and I would buy a $100 watch.....not a fake Rolex. (In fact I still don't own a Rolex).

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Before buying glorified consumables & their marketed fiction of ideology please read the book "Affluenza" & the blogs of Raptitude & Mr Money Mustache.

Well I certainly don't suffer from "Affluenza". I drive a 7 year old Dodge and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

I appreciate watches in a very similar way that I appreciate pinball machines. It's their mechanical nature (yes I mostly own mechanical watches....I only have one quartz watch and only because that one has an alarm on it). I'm fascinated by their complex mechanical nature. That something with hundreds of moving parts and no power source (other than a spring) can keep relatively accurate time is very cool to me.

Same way I appreciate the complex mechanical nature of pinball machines.....although granted I prefer the more modern SS machines over the the EM's generally speaking. I still appreciate the complexity of the EM's.

1 year later
#131 8 years ago

That Monaco is sick! Probably my 2nd favorite watch of all time......don't own one......yet.

Here are couple of others from my small collection.....nothing as nice as the Speedmaster but I like them:

Ball Engineer Master II DLC
IMGP7487_1_.jpgIMGP7487_1_.jpg

XW "Tsunami" Limited Edition
XWTsunamiSilver.jpgXWTsunamiSilver.jpg

Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
6969301184_5557be8517_b.jpg6969301184_5557be8517_b.jpg

And this one is incoming - Helgray "Meca-Quartz" Hybrid Movement (Mechanical Chronograph but Quartz time keeping)
helgray-silverstone-1920px-20.jpghelgray-silverstone-1920px-20.jpg

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

( been thinking about an Omega, though, as my watch winder has 4 spots...hmmmm)

Well just make sure you don't get the original "Moon Watch" Omega Speedmaster then.

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How do you like the Steinhart?
I've been considering buying one, as they seem to be a really great bang for the buck watch if I'm not going to spend at least $3k+ on a watch.
I'd love a Rolex Submariner (just a great, classic look), but I'm thinking perhaps the Steinhart homage might suffice.

It is absolutely a tremendous "bang for the buck". Very nice "fit and finish".... Swiss ETA 2824 elabore automatic movement, solid bracelet, domed sapphire crystal (with anti reflective coatings) , dive rated (300 meters), Super Luminova markers.....tough to beat at its price point.

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from guarda:

I love watches as well. Here's my Girard Perregaux Casquette LED watch. Only worn when I know I'll be playing an EM.

Very cool, and very rare....the ultra rare 18k version no less! I don't know because you never see them for sale but my guess is that puppy would trade fairly with an HUO Spider-Man (or IMVE, or Tron Pro.....place 5k pin here....)

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Watches are so entirely subjective. They're hard to justify, beyond just loving them.
I will say this, and maybe it's just me being shallow, but I was a little conscious of wearing the Steinhart (haven't in a while now) and it looking like a Rolex knockoff. I wish they'd done a little more to claim their own design space.

It's a fine line I guess but generally "homage" is okay and "knockoff" is a huge no-no. The difference.....a Homage says Steinhart (or whatever) right on the face....and they have subtle style differences that are all their own.......a knockoff say's Rolex....but isn't a Rolex.

Hell 80% of the dive watches on the market are "homage's" to someone.....mostly Rolex but there are plenty of Omega's and many others. As long as it's got quality parts and it's own badge on the front it's okay by me. You would never ever catch me wearing a knockoff.

#190 8 years ago

Mine

Quoted from PanzerFreak:I'm jealous. That is an amazing watch and also my grail watch. I will get one someday.
Have you had any issues with scratches on the face of the watch? I heard the Omega Speedmaster Professional uses a plastic face instead of a sapphire face as NASA wouldn't allow a watch face made out of glass as if it did shatter pieces of glass would be floating around the spacecraft.

Mine is like the original right Dow to the hesalite crystal. It can scratch but is also easy to fix with some Polywatch and a soft cloth. No permanent scratches so far. It does give the watch a different look. Also interesting to note is that the sapphire version is not NASA approved even to this day.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I assume it's a manual wind then? No rotor?

Yes...manual wind roughly 40hr reserve. I just wind it once a day when wearing.

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's a good question.
What do the watch experts think? The ceramic option is only about $30 over the aluminum inlay.
http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/OCEAN-1-BLACK,14.html

The ceramic should be far more scratch resistant.....for that reason alone I'd go for it.

#206 8 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

...that is one of the most shamefully shallow and asinine things I've ever read. Sure, judge the “fake” wearer all you want - OTOH I say it's terribly presumptuous and arrogant to assume anyone wears a watch solely to seek your personal approval.
Can’t one simply admire the look of a watch? Or god forbid buy only what they can actually afford to reconcile that look? What if they’re starting out in the hobby and exploring different things?

I think we covered this already.

Fake = Watch says and looks like a Rolex (or whatever) but is not actually a Rolex. THIS is not okay.....ever. If you can't afford the name brand watch you like then....

Homage = Resembles a famous watch but has the actual manufactures name on the watch. So looks very similar to a Rolex but says Steinhart (or whatever). This is perfectly acceptable.

So, if you like the look of an expensive watch but can't afford it buy the nicest "homage" you can find in your price range. If one doesn't exist buy something else but don't buy a complete fake.

My first nice automatic was a Seiko. Cost me $100 on eBay. Still have it:
DSC00294 (1024x683).jpgDSC00294 (1024x683).jpg

#210 8 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

By my estimation, it's entirely possible the very same machine (watch) could exist with two different names on the dial: one being a made-up word to "brand" an homage, and the other an existing well-known name.

To my knowledge this does not happen in the watch world.....especially when talking about the big brand name manufactures.

Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Cartier, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Panerai and many others (Including Seiko) make their own movements (In-House) and you will not find another watch brand with the same movement anywhere.

You may think branding is stupid but most of these companies built there reputations in the watch world over a long period of time......they are by no means "hot today, thrift store junk tomorrow".

You might think the price of one of these brands is absolutely ridiculous....and from some perspectives they are. But, they hold their value and in MANY cases increase in value. You take care of that Rolex and there is an excellent chance it will be worth more than you paid in twenty years. Investment vehicle....NO! But at least they aren't "junk tomorrow" as are most Timex's and cookie cutter "fashion" brands.

And I'm not a "brand snob" I buy all kinds of watches. I bought a $130 watch off Amazon a couple months ago just because I liked the look and the functions it had on it (It certainly didn't say Omega on the front of it though )

#223 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Speaking of companies that make their own movements, another watch that I've been seriously considering is from Nomos, which is a German company that make their own movements in house.
They seem to be a pretty highly respected brand (despite not being Swiss!) and I really like the looks. A bit more dressy, which is something I need when I'm in my suit.

Yes.....very respected. I was just throwing out some examples of in house movements off the top of my head......there are many others.

Then there are the brands the use Swiss ETA movements but modify them with some unique in-house touches.....Tag Heuer and BALL come to mind.

Then there is the plethora of boutique manufactures that use straight out of the box Swiss ETA's. This tends to be your biggest "Bang for your Buck" group. Highly competitive and usually limited edition watches. I bought a small boutique brand German Flieger that was limited to a run of 50. Sold it two years later for 2x what I had paid. Typical pricing here is $300-$1200 with the vast majority being $400-$600.

#227 8 years ago

Best site for finding used watches in any price range:

www.watchrecon.com

#238 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Speaking of winders, which ones do you guys use/ prefer?....can't bring myself to spend the $$$ on the Orbita...using a Steinhausen now, but piece of crap....Benson???

I don't use them. I don't mind winding up a watch and setting it when I go to wear one. I think I'm more anal about unnecessary wear and tear on an automatic running 24/7 then just setting it when I want to wear it. I can go for many months without wearing a particular watch.

#240 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

There has been debate ( not much support)that letting a watch spring go completely " dead" then rewound does more harm than good.

That makes no sense. And without actual evidence I will dismiss it (not you......it). I'm an "evidentialist" and only believe things to the degree that their is evidence to support it. I also change my beliefs (or the degree) as new evidence emerges.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

All the manufacturers pretty much recommend that the movement keeps " moving". If you have valid info to the contrary, I've learned something new, and will be very grateful......mark

Actually can you show me where a manufacturer recommends this? That still wouldn't be evidence to follow such a recommendation but it would be interesting to read their recommendation and see if they provide an explanation with it.

#245 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Not meant to be an attack at all...just an honest question ( as far as brand), and information that I believe is commonplace.....will dig up some info I used to make my decision to go the winder route....
I got wrapped up in the Jpop thread last night, and hopefully didn't come off in the wrong way here, after engaging that to a degree....if I did, I apologize ( those are the threads I REALLY need to drain).....mark

Actually it appears I came off the wrong way. I didn't feel attacked in any way and was simply trying to describe how I think about things in general. I'm not arguing one way or the other but just saying how I arrived at what I do. No worries, and I wasn't trying to tell anyone else what they should think or do.

#247 8 years ago
Quoted from c2scanada:

Panerai 111- My daily watch

IMG_20150607_085222.jpg

Nice....love the Panerai's but the vast majority of them are too big for my tiny wrists.

1 week later
#262 8 years ago

Well I spotted another watch and have decided to put up my BALL in order to fund it (if anyone is interested):

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-ft-ball-engineer-master-ii-dlc-2025313-post17127977.html#post17127977

#298 8 years ago

So I'm looking at two watches right now......and they are completely different!

1937 Longines (fully restored):
18308285303_7d54e5ab35_b.jpg18308285303_7d54e5ab35_b.jpg

Modern (but based on 70's Style Cushion Case) Hamilton Pan Europ with 80hr reserve:
h35405741-pan-europ-hamilton-watch-2_3.jpgh35405741-pan-europ-hamilton-watch-2_3.jpg

Thoughts? (Price is nearly identical)

Click on the images to see a much clearer version.

#306 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Wow! For ME, it would not even be close....the Longines all the way!!

I saw that coming.

#307 8 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

Really I see those 2 watches filling completely different purposes. The first would make a great dress watch, and the second looks like an everyday wearer (or you could dress it up with a different band).

Yep....that's why I said "completely different". The Longines is a classic dress watch....and a conversation piece.

The Hamilton is a fun/sporty/casual weekend watch.....or for me a daily wearer since I'm casual most days.

Tough call......The Longines is more of a "one shot", they don't come around often especially in this condition. The Hamilton will most likely be available for a while (years). That says I should get the Longines. However it was the Hamilton that had me put my Ball up for sale (It sold BTW). So that tells me I should go for what I set out for in the first place and get the Hamilton.......ahhhh!

#308 8 years ago

The Longines is gone!

You snooze you lose.

#312 8 years ago

Well I went a different (third) direction. Bought a Sinn. Will post pics when it comes in.

#316 8 years ago

So I just noticed something. With the sale of my Ball and getting the Sinn I still have eight automatics; but none have any numerals for hour markers! All eight only use different styles of indices with no numerals.

In addition I have two quartz watches.....both have analog faces and both have numerals on the faces.

Guess I generally don't care for numerals on my watches.....but had you asked me that before today I would not have known that to be the case.........odd.

#324 8 years ago

The Sinn arrived today.....quick pic from my phone:
2015_06_24_16_23_20_ProShot.jpg2015_06_24_16_23_20_ProShot.jpg

This is the Sinn 556i. It's 38.5mm and that makes it the smallest automatic I own. It does wear a little larger than its size would suggest and Think it would look great on wrists up to 7.5" (Mine are 6.5").

I love the very clean/simple design. This watch is really versatile. It can be dressed up on a shiny black band and worn to a board meeting or throw on a rustic brown (the band mine came with) for a sporty/outdoorsy feel. They also have a very high quality bracelet that matches the watch perfectly.....might pick one up.

Oh...and here is the display back (stolen from the net):
SI-367-alt9.jpgSI-367-alt9.jpg

Sinn only uses Top Grade Swiss ETA movements (the 2824-2 in this case). Top Grade movements are identical to Chronometer grade movements (minus the COSC certification....and added cost) and are decorated, adjusted to 5 positions and rated to an average daily rate: +/- 4 seconds.

It is water rated to 200m and has a screw down crown.

#326 8 years ago

So this is my current "In the rotation" (some more than others) lineup:

2015_06_25_09_24_06_ProShot.jpg2015_06_25_09_24_06_ProShot.jpg

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Early arrival from Germany!
Just finished having it sized at the Jewelers. Now dinner with the wifey at Famous Daves BBQ.

Image loading is disabled in your settings. un-hideimage.jpg

"She's a beaut Clark"

#341 8 years ago

Neat......but how freakin' big is that thing?

#347 8 years ago

The Sinn on a Bond Nato (technically a Zulu.....I prefer Zulu straps over true Nato's).

2015_07_04_12_20_02_ProShot.jpg2015_07_04_12_20_02_ProShot.jpg

2015_07_04_12_20_16_ProShot.jpg2015_07_04_12_20_16_ProShot.jpg

The Sinn has quickly moved into the #2 spot (all time) in my collection. Pics do not do it justice. It has a shiny black face but you never get reflections due to the double layers of anti-reflective coatings. This has the effect of making the face a VERY deep black......the blackest I've ever seen on any watch. combined with the brite white makers and it is very easy to read in virtually any situation. Such a clean simple dial but the watch as a whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. As always.....click on the pictures to see a much cleaner pic.

3 months later
#398 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Price range?

Let's start with that.

#403 8 years ago

Annnnd.....we are back to where this whole thread started (over a year ago)

1 month later
#423 8 years ago

Just picked up a new watch today.....nothing fancy or expensive, I just liked it. It was a limited edition Seiko automatic that was a Japan only release.

Here is just a pick from the web:

scve003.jpgscve003.jpg

1 week later
#431 8 years ago
Quoted from HeyYouSir:

For those that own a Steinhart Ocean One black or anyone that has an ETA 2824-2 powered mechanical watch...
How much power reserve does it have after being worn for 10+ hours?
How accurate is it per day?
My watch has about 18 hours power reserve. The ETA 2824-2 specs advertise a 40 hour power reserve.
I'v seen a variance of 30 seconds in a day. Advertised spec for this movement is +-20 seconds per day.
I realize that mechanical watches can be a whole different ballgame than quartz watches, but I'm curious as to what others have experienced. I'm taking notes on mine over a two week period (at Steinhart's request). This brand new watch of mine may end up being repaired or replaced by Steinhart. TBD

Well the reserve should be accurate.....right around 40hrs. As far as time keeping it might just need to be regulated. Most of 2824's have been very accurate and usually run around +/- 10-15 seconds / day.

#435 8 years ago
Quoted from HeyYouSir:

Ok. This was the first watch that I've ordered from Steinhart so I wanted to see what others have experienced. On top of the cost of the watch I paid Steinhart 30 euros for shipping and handling. I see now that I have been invoiced from FedEx directly recently for another $19 US ($12 US for customs and a $7 US advancement fee which I assume FedEx is charging me for them paying the $12 in advance.)
Have others had a similar experience?

Yeah I had to pay FedEx as well. Small price to pay considering we don't have to pay the VAT.

1 week later
#445 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Too bad RobT is not around.. wanted to thank him for the Steinhart Ocean One recommendation.. picked one up and love it!

I'll take it since I recommended it to him

3 weeks later
#473 8 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

My Portofino.

image_(resized).jpeg

Love it.....classic beauty.

#484 8 years ago

I did just sell a watch to get an electric guitar.....these arrived today (mine is the one on the left, my son's on the right).

WP_20160203_14_56_36_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160203_14_56_36_Pro_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#515 8 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

A new acquisition for the collection, a Speedmaster '57

image_(resized).jpeg

How many total watches do you have? Would love to see the whole collection together.

#517 8 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

This last year I've totally started to realize how awesome fine watches are. Five years ago if you would have asked me if I would be interested in acquiring pinball machines I would have laughed. It's funny how things change.

sinn104-1_(resized).jpg

Love Sinn watches!

3 weeks later
#534 8 years ago

Holy crap.....check out this watch. Pretty amazing but cost as much as a Corvette.

http://www.fratellowatches.com/mct/

DSC04143_(resized).jpgDSC04143_(resized).jpg

#536 8 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I'll take the 'Vette.

Yeah, me too. Neat movement though.

#546 8 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Living in Hong Kong is getting expensive. High end watch stores on every corner.

Yeah but just imagine how much larger your collection will be vs buying from US AD's.

#549 8 years ago

Very unusual but it is not as nice as the Polex Submariner I was offered in Beijing. He started at $250 and ended up following me down the street. At $20, he gave up on me. I should have bought it for $20 for a laugh.

I bought a Movado from a street vendor in Hawaii nearly thirty years ago. He started out at $230 and I bought it for $20. It worked and I used it for a while.....that was before I really got into watches and swore off any fakes.

#556 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I know shit from that watch!
My friend just got one and loves it. He said it was a pain in the ass to change the battery though

If he just got one why was he changing the battery? Oh and not making a mechanical is the biggest reason I haven't bought a Shinola.

#561 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Had this made, for the price of a watch!
Frankenmug!!

frakenmug_1.jpg_(resized).JPG

That is sick awesome

#565 8 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

It's a rainy day in Hong Kong so I finally got the collection together. Questionable focus on some pictures, but you can see my collection.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Sweet collection! You've got great taste in watches and some nice variety.

#567 8 years ago

I have this one pre-ordered - Magrette (mah-gret-tee) Dual Time Automatic PVD.

shop2345200.pictures.DTblackpvd_XL_1_(resized).jpgshop2345200.pictures.DTblackpvd_XL_1_(resized).jpg

Wanted a two time zone watch and liked the "inner dial" verses having a separate "GMT" hand.

#571 8 years ago

Yeah, I want to check out the Miyota 9015 movement as well. Most think it is superior to the ETA 2824. 42hr reserve, robust and accurate....I've never owned one.

1 week later
#578 8 years ago
Quoted from HeyYouSir:

Out of curiosity, where do you buy your watches from?
Has anyone bought from jomashop.com?
Pros and cons of shopping there?

To my knowledge jomoshop is all grey market (no warranty) which is fine as long as you know going in. Two camps - cheap grey market and AD's (Authorized Distributors). One is much cheaper and no warranty the other is more expensive and full warranty.

Third Camp - Used (WatchRecon.com for the win).....no warranty obviously.

I've bought watches all three ways and have yet to have a major disappointment.....beyond getting a watch, putting it on and then realizing it was not for me.

Edit.....here is what Jomashop says:

Product Warranty
Jomashop.com will service every brand name watch sold on our website (see chart for exceptions) for a period of 1 to 5 years after purchase. Watches that have symptoms of abnormally gaining time, losing time, or not keeping proper time will be serviced under our warranty program. Our warranty does not cover "external damage" to the product.

So THEY provide some protection.....none from the manufacturer. I wouldn't count on it being much of a warranty though.

BTW it says "see chart for exceptions" but I see no chart.....good chance many brands come with nothing.

#580 8 years ago

It showed up early!

20160322_130510_(resized).jpg20160322_130510_(resized).jpg20160322_130312_(resized).jpg20160322_130312_(resized).jpg20160322_130025_(resized).jpg20160322_130025_(resized).jpg20160322_132043_(resized).jpg20160322_132043_(resized).jpg

#590 8 years ago

I'm really enjoying the Magrette. Great lume and It's running about +5 seconds a day......can't ask for any better than that! So the 9015 movement is running better than expected but I will say this about it.....it's noisier than any Swiss ETA I've owned. When you happen to get the rotor spinning you can hear it. The dual time dial is very easy to read. I'm posting this at 1:50pm....or 7:50am Hawaii time (heading there next week )

#591 8 years ago
#596 8 years ago
Quoted from HeyYouSir:

Thoughts on a Seiko Orange Monster diving watch? Pros / Cons?

It's a classic "bang for your buck" watch. Solid, reliable, fantastic lume (Seiko has some of the best lume in the biz). The bracelet is very nice on these. Cons.....it's a low beat older automatic movement with no hacking and no manual winding. Not the most accurate but they run pretty reliably. I had a Black Monster (Just sold it today actually) and still have a limited edition Blue Monster (with the 6R15 movement) and an original "White Knight"....(that I replaced the crystal with a sapphire one). The White Knight was actually my very first "auto" and I paid $100 for it. Here is my "White Knight":
DSC00294_(1024x683)_(resized).jpgDSC00294_(1024x683)_(resized).jpg

#597 8 years ago
Quoted from HeyYouSir:

Thoughts on a Seiko Orange Monster diving watch? Pros / Cons?

BTW if you want to see a ridiculous value on a dive watch check these out (currently out of stock though): http://shop2.tisellkr.cafe24.com/product/Sold-out/33/?cate_no=1&display_group=2#none

sub9015-6_(resized).jpgsub9015-6_(resized).jpg

9015 automatic movement (hacking & hand winding)
Ceramic Bezel
Sapphire Crystal (W/ AR coating)
316 Stainless Steel case and bracelet
C1 Luminova
- $195 shipped!

That's at least $500 in specs (typically)

#599 8 years ago

Yeah I'm actually considering their Bauhaus:

9015b-2_(resized).jpg9015b-2_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#613 8 years ago
Quoted from Tkaye:

Ok. So this just happened. I blame all of y'all for it too!

image_(resized).jpeg

The most iconic watch in history (IMHO)....and one that never goes out of style. Also the one that started this entire thread

1 week later
#618 8 years ago
Quoted from Tkaye:

...and another you bastards!

image_(resized).jpeg

He's on a roll!

Nice pick up.

#633 7 years ago

New style deployment clasp, movement and face.
IMG_0488_(resized).JPG
IMG_0491_(resized).JPG
IMG_0489_(resized).JPG

Fantastic!

#640 7 years ago

I used Chitownwatches.com
They delivered exactly as promised and Servey is a great guy.

It's www.chitownwatch.com

#646 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Just picked up this guy for wearing around..

1461949218304-974109461_(resized).jpg

Seiko auto's offer a lot of "bang for your buck". I especially like their divers.

#662 7 years ago

So I did pick up a Tisell Diver (Total Rolex Sub Homage). Went with the "Hulk" edition. Pretty ridiculous value really - Stainless Steel case and band (decent weight). Sapphire crystal, 9015 automatic movement and to top it off a ceramic bezel........$195!

Tisell_Hulk.jpgTisell_Hulk.jpg

#665 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Looks great! Is the band a nice weight?

Yes....it feels solid. Crazy package for the price but according to the website he's out of 9015 movements until 2017!

#668 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'm looking at this right now……thoughts?

The iconic Seiko "Black Monster". Some of the best lumi I've ever seen on any watch. Had one for years.....just sold it actually.

#670 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:Yeah, it seems pretty thick on there...

Not only thick but it's Seiko's LumiBright (C3 superluminova) the brightest stuff you can get without going radioactive.

#676 7 years ago
Quoted from Tkaye:

Just received my final (for now) new watch purchase!
Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Military Mk2

It's cousin says hello:

OVM_(resized).jpgOVM_(resized).jpg

#677 7 years ago

I still have this "monster":

Blue_Monster.jpgBlue_Monster.jpg

Seiko Superior Limited Edition SRP455 (Blue Monster) with the 4R36 movement (hacking and manual winding).

#679 7 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Are there any watches you don't own?

Millions!

#682 7 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

What are the opinions on Squale? I was looking for something blue that wouldn't break the bank. Im also thinking about a Seiko blumo, but the Squale has the lighter blue that I really like

I like it. Squale has been around for a long time and have a very good reputation.

#685 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I need another link! It's a little snug for my liking. Anybody got one??

Did you adjust the clasp? Looks like you have one more notch there.

1 week later
#699 7 years ago

Newest aquisition (through a trade). Ventus Caspian - Type B
Brass case (I plan on treating it with "brass ager" this weekend) Seiko Automatic, Sapphire Crystal. I'll have to try it on the included leather nato also.

20160518_143825_(resized).jpg20160518_143825_(resized).jpg20160518_142626_(resized).jpg20160518_142626_(resized).jpg20160518_142537_(resized).jpg20160518_142537_(resized).jpg20160518_142517_(resized).jpg20160518_142517_(resized).jpg

#701 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

As much as I love my watches, I feel bad that I never wear them. I can't wear them at work and they just sit in a case.
Hard feelings just keeping them couped up

Why can't you wear them at work?

#703 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

For the time being I run a warehouse, but my warehouse is me and one other guy, so I'm constantly lifting, climbing, and physical. I'd destroy a watch back there, and there's no way in hell I'll wear my nicer stuff.

Get a Tegimented Sinn! You won't dent one of those.

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/sinnwatches.asp

"This watch features "Tegiment" technology. Standard steel used by most watch companies has a hardness of between 200 and 240 HV (Hardness Vickers is a common scale used to measure material hardness). The Tegiment layer has a hardness of 1,200 Vickers which is up to five times harder than standard steel."

#710 7 years ago

Before:
20160518_142626_(resized).jpg20160518_142626_(resized).jpg

After (this was about 10 seconds in the solution):
20160520_125307_(resized).jpg20160520_125307_(resized).jpg20160520_125254_(resized).jpg20160520_125254_(resized).jpg20160520_125743_(resized).jpg20160520_125743_(resized).jpg20160520_130019_(resized).jpg20160520_130019_(resized).jpg

It looks even better in person....richer. I like that versus letting it patina naturally this is a much more even color. The bonus of course is that if I wish I can bring it back to shiny brass.....and then color it again if I want, and so on.

#712 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Looks much better! What exactly did you do? What kind of solution? Was it gold plated? Did you put the whole watch in, or just the case?

This one has a brass case. It's "water resistant" to 100m so I just dropped it in some "Brass-Ager" - http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Bronze-Aging-Solution-Darkening/dp/B005TRO276

It literally took seconds to change! Kind of cool to watch. Like I said, if I want I can bring it back to shiny brass anytime.....but I love the new look.

1 week later
#720 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Sorry, I still don't get the Iwatch …my iPhone is right in my pocket and does all the same things…

I had a Samsung Gear S2 that I wore for two weeks straight. Neat features but at the end of the day I just didn't "need" any of them. Not to mention it removed the ability to wear a "real" watch. No thanks.

#726 7 years ago

Imagine what your net worth and liquidity would have to be to feel comfortable dropping 2.5M on a watch.

I would hope your net is over 50 million to drop 2.5 on a watch....maybe even 100. 2.5 is 5% of your total net at 50 million and 5% seems high to drop on a watch. I think the most I've ever dropped on any watch was 1% ......once. Most are closer to .1. Now pinball machines are another story

1 month later
#733 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Two more watches. The Omega FlightMaster is an eBay purchase and the Glashutte Original Sports Evolution I purchased from Govberg Jewelers.

Love that Omega!

4 weeks later
#749 7 years ago

GS's might be "sleepers" to the general public but not to watch enthusiasts.....Great Watch!

2 weeks later
#784 7 years ago

Another bargain hunter grab: The Dagz "Thunderbolt"
Thunderbolt (resized).jpgThunderbolt (resized).jpg
Still sells new on his website for $375 but I picked this one up from eBay in mint condition for $185. Double domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating. Bead blasted stainless steel case and bracelet (also came with three Nato straps), 9015 automatic movement and SuperLuminova markers. Bonus....the bracelet perfectly matches and fits my Sinn 556.

1 month later
#803 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I haven't seen any posts here lately. Figured I'd post a picture of my latest acquisition; a SevenFriday Series V.

I've looked at those but they are too big for me.

2 weeks later
#825 7 years ago

Looks like it could be a Sea King, possibly from the 60's. Anything on the back? Can you open it up and get a pic?

#827 7 years ago

Yeah if you get it open we should be able to give you the year at least.

#829 7 years ago

My guess.....it's from the mid to late 60's, 1964+ but not past 70.

I only see serial numbers starting with a 1-XXX in those years. Inside should tell us the exact year.

#832 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Wearing the Nomos today! Guess where I'm at?

Uh, Tokyo?

#837 7 years ago

Nice!

#840 7 years ago

I've got a Seiko Prospex GMT Diver incoming. It's a beast at 47.5mm but thankfully only has a 51mm lug to lug so I should be able to (just) pull it off. Looks like it's going to take a while to get here so here's a pic off the web.

sun023p1_5__2_ (resized).jpgsun023p1_5__2_ (resized).jpg

#843 7 years ago

Lots of bang for the buck with that one!

Especially since I got it BNIB for $170 and being shipped from Seiko!!

#844 7 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Ok - so I think code 'mo' inside case is for year 1960 and I think the 'afc' was for movements 1959-1961
Now maybe I can discover the 'model' from 1960

Nice! The movement looks great. You may never find the exact model (maybe contact Bulova directly with all the info you have). I still think it's some version of the Sea-King......or Sea something. MO is definitely 1960.

1 week later
#849 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Look what just arrived in the mail from a watch enthusiast in England today...
OMEGA 1300 Electriquartz f8192Hz Beta21 1970.

cool!

#852 7 years ago

All Briteling's?

#873 7 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

When I was a teenager in the 1970s, my father gave me this Omega Seamaster. Back then, I thought that this timepiece was cool indeed, just like my dad. He loved pinball. One of his friends was Stan Harris, who was a major pinball distributor in the northeast, including in southern New Jersey, where I grew up. We always had a few woodrails or pitch & bats in the basement, all with the "Stan Harris" sticker on the apron. Whenever we traveled, Dad was always a reliable source of coins for me, my brother and sister, to feed the pinball machines.
Dad died rather suddenly 16 years ago. Ever since, this watch connects me to him and to my fond memories of him. For me, the design of these Omega watches is (pardon the pun) timeless.
My love for pinball started with Dad and I can't help but think how much he would have loved participating in the hobby today. He would have turned 87, a few weeks ago. I imagine that most of us on this forum owe our love for this hobby to our fathers. Here's to the guy who bestowed a whole lot of wisdom on me, not the least of which was to introduce me to pinball.

Sweet watch, and great story.

#874 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've never been interested in a Casio, but these new Mudmaster's have my interest, especially the upcoming Maharishi version. Would be nice to have a rugged watch when I'm out on the trails with my friends in the Wranglers.
This watch is huge though. Will need to see one in person before ever deciding to pull the trigger. This isn't exactly a cheap G-Shock.

That is one bad ass looking monster of a watch! How big is it?

#879 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

60mm!
Edit: another site I looked at said 56mm, so I'm not sure which is correct.

#881 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

So I'm not nearly on the same level as you guys. You've got to take off at least one zero to get into my price range.
Educate me, please. What's the /real/ difference between most of these watches and my new favorite (which I figure most of you wouldn't be caught dead wearing )
PS - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

My Dad wore Skagen's, he liked how thin they are.....and their style.

Biggest difference....quartz vs automatic movement. Quartz movements are dirt cheap (for the most part) but extremely accurate. Just need to change the battery every few years.

Automatics (and manual wind mechanicals) are extremely complicated. No battery....just a crap ton of tiny gears and wheels and balances and a spring. A low end Swiss auto movement will run you hundreds just for the movement itself.

#928 7 years ago

My son is a huge Star Wars freak....I just bought him this watch for Xmas: Nixon Millennium Falcon Ranger Chronograph
A549SW-2385-view1 (resized).jpgA549SW-2385-view1 (resized).jpg

#937 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I couldn't read the time on the SevenFriday Series V, so I exchanged it for a Series Q (first stock photo), then modded it with a Leatherman Tread bracelet!

I'm picking up a tread bracelet to wear on my off hand. It's TSA approved so I don't have worry about the airlines confiscating my mini pocket tools anymore (has happened a couple times).

1 week later
#943 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

What is the depth rating on that? 300m?

Looks like 200

#947 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

300 meters, actually.
Frankly, though, anything over 150 meters is overkill for SCUBA. 300 meters would only be relevant to a commercial diver working from a hyperbaric chamber, doing saturation dives, and breathing mixed gases.

You're right about the 300....but I disagree with it not being meaningful for rec divers. It's a "static" measurement. If you're at 25 meters and waving your arm around it's going to generate a lot more than 25 meters of pressure.

There is also a difference between a "dive rated" watch and one simply listed as "water resistant" 100M. At least until you get to 300M....everything 300M+ is "dive rated". It would be pushing it to wear a 100m "water resistant" watch while doing laps in a pool.....it might survive repeated workouts....it might not. If it's "dive rated" then you need not worry.

#954 7 years ago

Thinking about selling off a few and getting something.....maybe an RGM (1st choice but most expensive), another Sinn or Ball......or maybe something else will catch my eye.

#955 7 years ago

I have "preordered" this:

Engineer-III-Bronze-Star (resized).jpgEngineer-III-Bronze-Star (resized).jpg
Ball-Engineer-III-Bronze-Star-3 (resized).jpgBall-Engineer-III-Bronze-Star-3 (resized).jpg
Ball-Engineer-III-Bronze-Star-4 (resized).jpgBall-Engineer-III-Bronze-Star-4 (resized).jpg

The BALL Engineer III Bronze Star:

COLLECTION
• Engineer III

MODEL
• Bronze Star
• Automatic Series

MODEL NUMBER:
NM2186C-L1J-BK

MOVEMENT
• Automatic calibre BALL RR1102
• SpringLOCK® patented anti-shock system

FUNCTIONS
• 14 micro gas tubes on hour and minute hands and dial for night reading capability
• Super LumiNova coating on second hand and twelve Arabic indexes
• Shock resistant to 5,000Gs
• Anti-magnetic to 80,000A/m
• Water resistant to 100m/330ft
• Hours, minutes, sweep seconds, day and date

CASE
• Bronze
• Amortiser® patented anti-shock system
• Ø 43mm, height 13.45mm
• Anti-reflective sapphire crystal
• Screwed-in crown

BAND
• Brown calf leather strap with standard buckle

DIAL
• Black

LIMITED EDITION
• 3,000 PCS

It won't be released until March-April which makes it a Birthday present (my 50th). The preorder price represents a tremendous value but ends on Dec 31st.

#957 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Ball makes some great watches, and are relative bargains for the quality. Congrats on ordering that one, looks great.

This will be my second Ball. While the first one moved on to make room for a Sinn I was very impressed with the fit and finish of it. That Ball was my first foray into plus 1k watches. Also, I really miss the Tritium illumination. Can be handy in a dark theater or just at night. Superluminova is great but it does need a charge in order to work. If your watch is under your shirt cuff all day then it's not going to work at all. Tritium needs no charge. I'll be in my mid 70's before they need to be replaced.....which can be done.

Also...I was able to get #67.....my birth year

#959 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Astropin, you have me interested in this watch. How much is the savings on the preorder? I'm looking at a Bronze with AF pilot wings.

The MSRP on the Bronze Star will be $2300. So it's a significant savings to pre-order at $1275.

#964 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

This thread is a bad influence. Astropin has me looking at Ball watches now! I'm looking real hard at their Engineer Hydrocarbon AeroGMT.

Sweet!

#973 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Love the BMW one. Don't like rubberized straps though....

The one I linked to? That one has leather straps.

#978 7 years ago

Quick pic from my phone since I'm traveling.

20161227_135105 (resized).jpg20161227_135105 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#979 7 years ago

Got a chance to get some wrist pics. It's big but it's the smallest 47.5mm watch I've seen so far.

20170103_124529 (resized).jpg20170103_124529 (resized).jpg

20170103_124601 (resized).jpg20170103_124601 (resized).jpg

#982 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Love the tuna can watches!

I really like it. Even more than I thought I would. The lume is classic Seiko diver ludicrous bright. I like the colors. It's my new favorite rugged "daily wear".

#987 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Always wanted a Navitimer, lots going on with that watch. But the eyes aren't what they used to be!

A Navitimer has always been on my hit list as well.

#989 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Ploprof Thursday

Have you seen the new limited edition Speedy Tuesday? I love it.

https://www.omegawatches.com/speedytuesday/

#992 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

LOL! That happens with many LE Speedys. They'll show up on the secondary market at inflated prices in no time!

I think the price will come back down to earth though because they are making over 2000 of them.

#997 7 years ago
Quoted from cincyITguy:

Why did I click on this thread? I'm pretty sure the day will not end before I purchase the Ball Trainmaster.

Welcome

#998 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I'm gonna head out and see if I can find the new Speedy!

Good luck!

module20-2-1 (resized).jpgmodule20-2-1 (resized).jpg

#1001 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

SevenFriday V Series with Leatherman bracelet.

You should just call that "Beast Mode"

#1004 7 years ago

Nerdy yes....but pretty damn cool if you own a lot of mechanicals!

http://www.lepsi.ch/watch-scope/

AppB-1 (resized).pngAppB-1 (resized).png

#1007 7 years ago
Quoted from cincyITguy:

So I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to purchasing watches. Is buying a watch on ebay akin to buying a pin on Ebay? I understand that nobody wants to give up their honey hole, but where would one go to find a fair/decent/great deal on a watch? For example I see an Omega Speedmaster 57 (never worn), at $4900. Seems like a good deal compared to other listings of the same model. But with that logic, I'd think the STTNG at $5500 was a great deal compared to those at $7k.
Thanks for any guidance.
-Aaron

If it's truly "mint" then $4900 is a pretty good price on a new 57 co-axial. I've seen them lightly used going for that (or even a little more). Now an original 57 will usually be in mid 2's.

www.watchrecon.com is another great site for mostly used watches. If you want to compare eBay with gray market pricing then Jomashop is usually on the low end for gray market pricing from a reputable place.

#1008 7 years ago

Interesting watch and not something you see everyday.

1 week later
#1016 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Just picked up a limited edition Grand Seiko Black Ceramic Spring Drive GMT. It's a bit large at 46 mm and has a titanium case with ceramic coating. Came with two straps. I have this crazy black and white strap on it now. Very accurate, +/- 1/2 second per day.

Very Nice!

I'm looking at this right now:
IMG_2601 (resized).jpgIMG_2601 (resized).jpg
Alpina Seastrong Heritage Diver. I just love the two tone dial with the inner rotating dial. I like it even with the funky date window placement.

#1017 7 years ago

Oh......and here is one for ya Toucan:

_storage_emulated_0_Android_data_com.android.mms_files_tapatalk_jpeg_1485360643748_1485360673890 (resized).jpg_storage_emulated_0_Android_data_com.android.mms_files_tapatalk_jpeg_1485360643748_1485360673890 (resized).jpg

#1019 7 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

So what do you guys think about the Tag Heuer brand? Good quality? Too pricey? I'm not really a watch guy but I've seen a few of them that I like.

I can tell you that the die hard WIS (watch idiot savants) crowd don't care for Tag's or Hublot's.

I say buy what you like (but I would avoid Invicta's).

#1025 7 years ago

I'm absolutely fascinated by the spring drive. When I first saw it all I could think was GENIUS. Some day.....

#1031 7 years ago

So I just picked up what has (apparently) become a very contentious watch.....the Ginault Ocean-Rover. Another Submariner Homage.....what can I say I like diver's in general and the sub look has become a sub(pun intended) genre itself. Virtually every maker including many of the big boys make a sub homage. Like I've said in the past Fakes=Very Bad, Homage=Fine.

Anyhoo the big points of contention (as I seem to catch it) were 1. "Made in America" stamped on the back when even they had admitted some parts were sourced out of the country; and 2. They are calling the movement their own (The Ginault Calibre 7275) ....not "In-House" but a 2824-2 clone that they claim they are making "most" of the parts for themselves (or special ordering from American manufacturers). They claim that their movement is made in the US except for the hairspring, the mainspring, the red synthetic sapphire crystals also known as jewels, and the shock absorber. If true that is still damn impressive. One thing I can say is the movement is chronometer accurate!

The one I got in no longer says "Made in America" on the back....only "Hand built in America" on the bottom of the dial.

Here is what they have to say about the making of the watch - https://ginault.com/blog/

I've owned and handled a lot of watches....issues aside this is a very well made watch.

Quick Pic:

20170130_150245-1 (resized).jpg20170130_150245-1 (resized).jpg

#1033 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Astro...is there a way to find out what year the Ball garland is from? It's Auto, Power Reserve. The number stamped on the case is: 144348

Ball made the "idimatic's" from 1950-1954. It has a Swiss ETA 1256 movement which "debuted in 1950 and is the prime father of all ETA selfwinding movements ever made."

http://17jewels.info/movements-en/movements-e-en/movements-e-eta-en/637-eta-1256.html

#1035 7 years ago

Quick update on my Ginault....after 24hrs on my wrist it's running just under +2 seconds!

#1037 7 years ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Curious if anyone would be interested in my Omega Seamaster . Only wore a few times so it's basically new . I have all paperwork when I purchased new .

Throw it up on www.watchuseek.com. It will then automatically get added to WatchRecon also. You'll have to "bump" your post up from time to time to keep it relevant though.

#1048 7 years ago
Quoted from seisentx:

Thanks! You have a very nice collection, yourself.
I don't own that machine or any others. I'm looking to buy my first machine very soon--likely a Williams System 11. Watches will continue to be a hobby, but I could see pinball taking away from future purchases.
As some others have mentioned, more can get enjoyment out of a pinball machine than a watch, so that's part of the reason I'm changing focus.

That's the same reason I shifted more into pinball. Except 98% of time I'm the only one who plays the damn things.

#1055 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I was considering letting some of my watches go on here (not a member on the other forums).
Really have no idea though.

You can always post them up. Best bet though is a major watch forum or the ol' bay.

#1061 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

That looks pretty sweet. Why does $279 sound really cheap?
Never heard of the brand. Curious what you guys think.

It looks like you would get what you paid for.....when/if it shows up. Chinese made with a cheap Japanese movement and a mineral crystal (sapphire coated for whatever that means). 44mm but looks like it wears even bigger.

#1067 7 years ago

So I've been wearing the Ginault Ocean Rover for 7 days straight now (wound it once) and it has settled in at +5.5 seconds/day. Which is chronometer accuracy. I've been impressed with the overall quality of this one....might even sell of a couple other off my Sub homages and just hang on to this one.

#1071 7 years ago

Just arrived!

20170210_162844 (resized).jpg20170210_162844 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1078 7 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

What do you guys think? I have been thinking about picking up a Rolex Sea Dweller, but am not sure the best place to purchase. Anybody here have one they are looking to get rid of? Any ideas where the best price would be? Any help would be nice.

Yeah watchrecon is a great place to find used watches. For the Sea Dweller you're looking at the low end being $5-6k for a one in good condition. Just make sure you vet the seller......as they say "buy the seller not the watch".

#1090 7 years ago

???

There are so many great quality watches under 1K I can't even begin to list them all. Honestly ( and I've been in this hobby a long time) there are only a few reasons to spend over 1K:
1) For the "cachet" of wearing a known name brand.
2) For the history of a particular watch or brand.
3) You simply fall in love with the aesthetics of a particular watch and can't find a sub 1K version and don't mind spending the extra.

Now I'm not saying any of those are bad reasons. One and Two and Three are why I bought an OMEGA Speedmaster "Moon Watch".

You can get the quality of a 10k watch for 1k. You just can't get the recognition or possibly the ability for the watch to hold its value. (Note only Rolex and certain Omega's hold their value well.....everything else you are rolling the dice on that one).

So what can you get for 1K.....just about anything. You can get an "In-House" automatic movement. You can get great fit and finish & style. You can get a sapphire crystal with AR coatings. You can get high quality stainless steel case and bracelet. You can get a ceramic bezel......and so on.

In my mind it's tough to beat Seiko at almost any price point....."bang for buck".

#1091 7 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I am not a Watch Collector but I do have one watch which is a Family Heirloom. My Grandfather gave this to me when I graduated college 20 years ago. In his typical style he saw I was not wearing a watch and said here is one for you to wear. Then he gave me the back story that he bought it in Switzerland back in the Early Sixties when he picked up his Son (My Father) from Germany when my Dad was getting out of the military. I knew it must be a special watch so I have kept it as a family heirloom rather than wearing it. It is an Omega Seamaster. About a year ago I pulled it out and tried to find it online to see if I could find the details on it but could not find one exactly like it. Anyone of you watch collectors know the exact model? FYI if I wind it, it does still work. The back just says Seamaster and Waterproof...I added my Pinball clock as the background LOL...

They made that model throughout the 60's so no way to know the exact year without cracking it open. I can tell you this much:

Manual movement, caliber 321, 17 jewels.

#1092 7 years ago

So I just picked up one of these:

20170310_142111.jpg20170310_142111.jpg

I'm going to start regulating my own watches.

#1094 7 years ago

Thanks mine only has a numerical marking at the "12" most of the ones I saw that were similar had the numerical markings at the Quarter of every hour (3, 6, 9, 12).
FYI I have no idea what "Manual movement, caliber 321, 17 jewels." means but it sounds like when I am explaining WPC repair logs to my wife who just nods her head....

Ha Ha...so manual wind means the watch has a mechanical movement (gears, wheels and a spring....no battery), but it's not an "automatic" (no rotor to automatically wind the spring just by wearing it). So you have to manually wind the watch with the crown (usually once a day) to keep it going.

Caliber 321 is just the name of that movement by OMEGA. Interesting side note that is that same movement that was used in the OMEGA Speedmaster that was worn on the first moon landing.

#1098 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Which 1K steel watch matches the overall quality of a 10K steel watch from JLC or Rolex? Is there anything at 1K which matches the finish of JLC's Caliber 925?
Aside from some of the least desirable Calatrava models, Patek seem to hold its value pretty well, no? It is tough to lose money on a steel Aquanaut.
I am with you on Seiko 100%.

Well we can get into a huge discussion on what exactly is meant by "quality". Yes the JLC's and Rolex will be more highly decorated movements; will be far more aesthetically pleasing and retain a higher value over time. But you can certainly get an automatic movement that will "function" just as well and for just as long in a 1K watch.

This brings me back to the audio world where your begin to pay monstrous premiums for tiny incremental (often theoretical) improvements. Again....not that there is anything wrong with that.

All I was trying to say is that for 1k you can get a really nice mechanical watch that will last you a lifetime (if you do your part).

#1099 7 years ago
Quoted from RoboLaw:

That's a good machine Astropin - I have an older version I bought from Ofrei about seven years ago - its still going strong. If you are ware working on ETA 28xx series based movements (or the SW versions) - like in that new Alpina, you might want to also pick up the ETA Chron Regulator Adjusting Tool (available from Ofrei). This will allow you to accurately adjust the hair spring and regulator pins with the movement fully assembled an in the watch- a necessary step for the watch to keep consistent rate in multiple positions.

Hey thanks! Very helpful information since I am just getting started down this path. Watching "how to's on YouTube.

#1100 7 years ago

Thank you for these details even though they may seem basic to you its more than I know about my own watch and I just shared it with my family. My 14 year old now wants to inherit it LOL!

It was the history of the Speedmaster that led me to buying one....that and I think it's a timeless design.

Omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-4 (resized).jpgOmega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-4 (resized).jpg

#1107 7 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Anyone know what this model is? Ignore the strap. Is that a factory dial color?
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f319/fs-blue-stingray-strap-minimal-aqua-blue-stitching-seiko-4119762.html

Found it! It a special European only limited edition Marinemaster professional:
http://watchesbysjx.com/2016/07/seiko-introduces-strange-europe-only-marinemaster-300m-limited-edition.html

3 weeks later
#1125 7 years ago

watch.......watch......watch......EYEBALL

#1132 7 years ago

Just got word from Ball that the Engineer III Bronze Star will start shipping later this month so I should have it by early May.

NM2186C-L1J-BK_3-640x520 (resized).jpgNM2186C-L1J-BK_3-640x520 (resized).jpg

#1141 7 years ago

As it has always been.

#1142 7 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

wow, thats very green Is that larger than the standard 38mm or do you have just small wrists?
Rolex is a solid watch, but I would never own one. I feel there are far better watches for that price point. However most people who aren't watch people go for a Rolex because they have fantastic marketing and that's what people know. I prefer their sister company Tudor as they have some better looking watches IMO.
Rolex is like a Porsche, they can't change the design/look without torches and pitchforks, just like the 911 will always look like a 911.
Regardless, congrats on the watch, any new watch is exciting!

Condescend much?

To say "watch people" don't wear Rolex's is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here. Ever been to WUS? The largest online community of watch enthusiasts?

I don't wear Rolex either but I certainly respect their hoilogical history. And I would never say anything negative about them in a post right after someone is showing their proud new purchase.

#1154 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Eleven years and counting since I owned a watch.

Thanks for stopping by.

So far I have not found anything that can adequately replace a watch. Certainly not a cell phone that you have to pull out in order to see the time.

1 month later
#1173 6 years ago

It has arrived - The BALL Engineer III Bronze Star:
20170530_153711 (resized).jpg20170530_153711 (resized).jpg
20170530_153642 (resized).jpg20170530_153642 (resized).jpg20170530_153845 (resized).jpg20170530_153845 (resized).jpg20170530_153810 (resized).jpg20170530_153810 (resized).jpg20170530_153333 (resized).jpg20170530_153333 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1184 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Why does a solid gold submariner even exist?
I mean cmon no one dives with that shit.
It's like a fake Rolex that's real lol

I bet 98% of all Submariners never see the water.

#1194 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Sheeyat I have more respect for a straight up faux Rolex in the water. As long as the owner says "it's fake" & swims with it.

I agree with a lot you have said...but not this. Fakes are never okay. That's 1000x bigger poser than the gold Rolex dude. While a gold Rolex is probably a little ostentatious for most...there are probably some business worlds it fits into. If you have the spare cash it's probably not a bad place to park it either (much like pinball machines).

Quoted from PW79:

Anyone who says they appreciate the history of a watch then buys one NIB is full of shit. They can read a book if they like history

Also disagree with this. History is a great reason to buy...well just about anything. History is a major reason I bought an Omega Speedmaster (Moon Watch) with the original hesalite crystal and all. I love it's history. That and it's iconic looks drew me to it over other watches.

You can't see someone who loves the history of Ford Mustangs buying a brand new GT350? I sure can...and I wouldn't blame them.

I agree it's not a good idea to get caught up in "keeping up with the Jones's". But if you do have the spare cash, buy what you like. At least your keeping the economy flowing.

#1197 6 years ago

NO offense taken at all...I love to debate, which is why I love Pinside so much

Quoted from PW79:

I just dont believe you're buying watches. I think youre buying an image.

I'm pretty sure I'm buying watches Not one person ever (ever) has noticed that I'm wearing an Omega or any other brand of watch. In fact the only compliment I can ever recall getting was on a $100 Seiko diver. I don't buy and wear watches so other people notice...I like them. I like how they look, how they function and I love the complicated mechanical movements.

#1198 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Fake watches, to me at least, really make it clear the whole Rolex & other high end watch game is just completely absurd.

How so? The fact that Rolex are so desired and expensive that fakes exist? That just seems obvious. Or is that you can buy a cheap fake and not have to spend the big bucks for the real thing? If the latter...well fakes are cheap pieces of crap that won't last (or even work) like the real thing. Yes you can buy some more expensive fakes (for $1k plus) and get a decent watch...but at that point why bother (unless you are a douchebag). You can buy some really nice (not fake) mechanical watches for $300-1k.

I caught one of my brother-in-laws (barely knew him really) wearing a fake Rolex and I said to him "I sure hope you didn't pay a lot for that". He kind of looked at me funny and I said "it's a fake". "How do you know?" he asked..."becasue it's ticking".

#1202 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I cannot confirm nor deny if that label would apply to me at times

Pretty much applies to all of us...at times. Unless you're Mother Theresa...then it applies all the time.

#1212 6 years ago

300m ... fine to swim with.

Every year? I swim with all of my watches that are rated 200m or better. One I've swam with for 15 years and have never had it "checked"...still works perfectly.

#1217 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Here are two Canadians with a great story
https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/about/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641
I don't think 99% of car loans are responsible either. There are exceptions of course. I'm aware that the 1% exception uses a low rate to combat inflation or opportunity risk to find gains to offset the vehicles depreciation but the other 99%, normal folks, just cannot afford the car so they finance it.
Same goes for mortgage interest. If it was that valuable folks would refi to higher rates. IMO unless a person has a multimillion dollar note & a 39.6% marginal bracket with the purchase price of the house invested then they need to pay it off, again this is IMO.
Mortgages & car loans are fine to get "life" started but IMO they are what ruin the middle (class long term). I still have a mortgage, for now.
Disclaimer: I'm full of shit & should not be taken very seriously

Guess I am a little confused. If the interest rate on my mortgage is 3.75% but I I'm earning 6-9% on my investments...tell me why I should pay off my mortgage?

Same with cars. In the past I've gotten car loans for as little as 1% interest over 5 years. Doesn't really motivate me to pay it off early.

#1229 6 years ago

Marathon makes some excellent and very rugged tool watches. I like the tritium markers as well. Never need a charge from a light source. But...need to be replaced...in twenty years or so.

#1232 6 years ago

I only have a couple watches that have a battery...but yes I change them. Change them for my wife and son also. Just need the right tool.

MANY (even dive watches) can be opened with this simple (and excellent) tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058EDAUA

Friction Ball! leaves no marks! Just make sure the ball is fully inflated...works so much better that way.

#1234 6 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

That's super cool! Do you think you can pop the back off a Rolex sub with that?

Probably. I have found that if (a water resistant) watch is particularly difficult that running the back under hot water for a couple minutes and then applying ice, works really well. I had a 1000m dive watch where the back had clearly been put on by a 400lb gorilla. The above technique worked for that watch.

#1240 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Is it true the annual maitenance costs of a Rolex are apx $1K?

I don't even own a Rolex and I'm going to say a big NO.

#1246 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Ah, weird.
I've heard from more than one person there's a reccomended annual "cleaning" that's quite costly.
Good to know. Thanks.

What's "recommended" vs what's "needed" are light years apart.

Honestly you could probably go a decade with no service and then send it in for an annual service; pay the same price and get the watch back looking like new.

4 weeks later
#1257 6 years ago
Quoted from HeyYouSir:

Seiko pepsi bezel turtle watch... love those Seiko dive watches!

Yep...love the cushion case divers.

#1259 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Welcome to the Panerai family

I believe he's had (and has) quite a few. I think I've scene at least four of his in prior posts.

#1261 6 years ago

You are correct on all counts. Tiny screwdriver, pry off and remove bracelet and use your ultrasonic.

#1263 6 years ago

Okay....so just for a little fun I picked this up. Well it helps that my wife is a Disney nut and we are DVC members:

24610 (resized).jpg24610 (resized).jpg

It's even got a halfway decent Japanese 24 jewel automatic movement with hacking and hand-windable. Certainly could have been a lot worse for $80.

24610_5__1 (resized).jpg24610_5__1 (resized).jpg

#1265 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I want one!!
Where did you get it for $80?

Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Y2WPJP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

BTW...that is the lowest price I've ever seen on it.

#1267 6 years ago

I just picked up the matching version for my wife....for $66!! (Not from Amazon...and it was the last one)

25570 (resized).jpg25570 (resized).jpg

#1270 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

That's ok...my wife would never wear something like this.... but I'll enjoy mine!

My wife is the real Disney freak...but we do have a good time there. I'll wear it when we go there and maybe to some business meetings (not joking).

#1273 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

So I go out this morning and there is this BIG box from Amazon. I don't know what the hell could be in such a big box. It was the watch! I didn't know it came in this huge black plastic "gun case"! I'll take pix and stuff after Dunkirk today....

I was going to mention that. The case is nuts.... and I love it. Might use it as a hardside case for my drone!

#1276 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You caught my interest Astropin! I thought I was the only one on this forum flying a drone as a second addiction hobby. What do you have and do you like it? I am flying a DJI Mavic Pro and loving it so far. Easy to control and pushing it 6 miles round trip seems great so far while filming in 4k. At least drones get me out of the dark basement and into the sun for part of the day! Here's a picture of my watch to stay on topic. lol Omega Speedmaster. There is No substitute!!!! Classic and reliable!

Ha! Seems we have a lot in common...I'm also flying a DJI Mavic Pro! Best bang for your buck in GPS drones. I'm a noob (first drone) and taking it pretty slow. Although I did launch it off our boat on my third flight ever. No problem...the thing practically flies itself.

#1279 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

and he's not an Invicta fan...

I'm not either really...but for the price it's a pretty nice "fun" watch.

#1281 6 years ago

Just in case anyone is interested I've put up two of my watches for sale on Watchuseek:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/sinn-556i-excellent-%24735-4509147-post43834715.html#post43834715

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/steinhart-ovm-ocean-vintage-military-v-1-0-%24490-4509073.html

I might cut a little deal for a Pinsider

#1282 6 years ago

The Sinn has sold.

2 weeks later
#1285 6 years ago

Both are now sold.

1 month later
#1297 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

My Omega arrived today.. couldn't be happier, I've been after this for awhile...
Took a bit but was able to snag a picture of the moon through my loupe and iPhone. The footprint in the Sea of Tranquility is just badass.

Very nice!

2 weeks later
#1302 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I just got a brand new in the box Bulova watch the other day for my 25 year work anniversary and I have no desire to take it out of the box and wear it. It says it's the Mens Classic with the black strap and has a retail sticker on it of $375. I'm looking to sell it, anybody got any idea what it's really worth?
Thanks,
John

Hard to say. Bulova makes a ton of "Mens Classic" watches. Maybe $200 on eBay.

#1318 6 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Can you guys recommend a watch forum? I’m going down a watch rabbit hole lately.

watchuseek.com

#1321 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

Is watchuseek.com a good place to sell? I've got a business opportunity that I'm going after. Will require liquidating my pinball collection and several watches.

Careful with those ICO's

And yes watchuseek is a very good place to sell. All ads on watchuseek also end up on watchrecon.com. I've sold quite a few watches on watchuseek.

#1324 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Can anybody here say what is a good (not crazy priced) watch winder?

Sorry...I don't use them.

#1329 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

My company did the same and I asked if I could just have the 375$

You don't think they actually spent $375 do you?

#1337 6 years ago
Quoted from cincyITguy:

Wish all of my watches with straps had the same.

You could put that type of strap on all your watches.

1 week later
#1353 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

He has manicans with Axes in his,house! Don’t piss him off! Lol

It puts the lotion in the basket.

#1360 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

lol What would you expect with all those fine Molex and Rag Heuer wathes!

I love the little....."plus tax".

1 week later
#1364 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

I received this Rec 901 in the mail yesterday. It was funded by a kickstarter. The watch is made from the metal of a wrecked Porsche 911. It incorporates many design cues from the 911. It also has the VIN of the car the metal came from on the side. The back looks like a fuchs wheel.

Interesting piece. For the price I feel like they could have done more with the movement (like a top grade ETA) and had dual sapphire crystals instead of just the top one and maybe a little more water resistance. Still...it's a unique concept and I'm sure it will have its fans.

#1386 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

amazon.com link »
Seiko Men's SNK809 Seiko 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Black Canvas Strap
$50?

That's a really small watch at 36mm. I have tiny wrists (6.5") and I generally wear watches from 39-44mm

#1387 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

amazon.com link »
Seiko Men's SNK809 Seiko 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Black Canvas Strap
$50?

This is a better Seiko auto to start with (IMHO):

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SKX007K-Divers-Automatic-Watch/dp/B000B5MI3Q/ref=sr_1_2

Or if you like a cleaner look with a bracelet:

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNZH53-Automatic-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0041LG08U/ref=sr_1_21

#1403 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

How do we feel about the SRPA27?
amazon.com link »

Good dress watch for the price. Decent movement and a nice see thru back.

You can nab it at Jomashop for $129 if you sign up for their emails: https://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watch-srpa27.html

#1405 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Cool, thanks! Looks like that coupon is only good over $250 though. Seiko has a damn lot of choices!
SNZG17K1
amazon.com link »

Just depends on what you are looking for...this one is a better "everyday" watch IMHO. Probably would fit you perfect also.

2 weeks later
#1420 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Added a nice dress watch to my lineup....finally bought it, a great timepiece!!!!

Hey another lefty...but I wear my watches on my left.

#1424 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That's pretty cool..Im a pure lefty, except when I played guitar years ago...oddly gravitated to right handed style...

Pure lefty also... except for scissors and weapons. I'm right eye dominant so I shoot right handed.

1 month later
#1432 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I just wanted to pop in & say I ordered a Seiko Turtle... in gold
lol
A “gold” dive watch nooooo

I just received this Seiko "Turtle" SRP77X Auto -

seiko_divers_12 (resized).jpgseiko_divers_12 (resized).jpg

Hard to go wrong with this for $260.

1 week later
#1441 6 years ago

I was in a big watch shop the other day and the Bremont MB II really caught my eye. I've known about Bremont watches for a while but never looked at them in person. Really nice watch..."over engineered" comes to mind. That being said I do think they are overpriced. Relatively newer brand yet the MB II retails for over 5k. Good thing is you can find really nice used ones for 50% off. This watch comes with different colored "barrels" on the sides...I liked the copper best but have also seen army green, orange, blue and red...but you can only get the red if you've actually been ejected from a "Martin Baker" pilot ejection seat! That model is called the MB I.
Bremont mbii (resized).jpgBremont mbii (resized).jpg
bremont-martin (resized).jpgbremont-martin (resized).jpg
Bremont_MBIII_2 (resized).jpgBremont_MBIII_2 (resized).jpg

#1447 6 years ago

The one that started this whole thread...The Omega Speedmaster.

Wearing mine today actually.

1 week later
#1458 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I’m in the same boat. I’ve wanted a Rolex for years, but $8k on a watch is hard to swallow.
I really want an Explorer II with a white face.

Get a nice used one...no one will ever know the difference.

#1470 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Nice to see so many speedy's in here. I'm wearing my Moonphase today, i wear it most days actually, it's quickly outpaced everything else in my collection as my favorite. It's comfortable and classy.

Yeah that Speedy Moonphase is gorgeous...the detail on the Moon is ridiculous.

2 weeks later
#1483 6 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

My new wife knows I like Seiko's, she got me this beast for a wedding gift

Welcome to the club!

20161227_135057 (resized).jpg20161227_135057 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1501 6 years ago

So I just picked up one of these:
Aevum Apex GT 2 (resized).jpgAevum Apex GT 2 (resized).jpg

Aevum Apex GT. Seiko NH35A Automatic movement with hacking and 40hr reserve. Sapphire Crystal w/antireflective coating. Ceramic bezel that can be used to track a 2nd time zone. C1 Superluminova markers & 100M water resistance. Limited to 50 pieces per color (orange or blue) - $300 Canadian (Approximately $238 US).

I got the orange with black strap but it also comes in blue:
Aevum Apex GT Blue (resized).jpgAevum Apex GT Blue (resized).jpg

If anyone is interested they are available here (but nearly sold out) - https://www.aevumtime.ca/Inside-NA-offline.html

1 week later
#1508 6 years ago

I have a question for all you watch guys. My new Tissot sits on my wrist wrong and I'm not sure how, or if I can, fix it. It doesn't sit in the center of my wrist. I keeps wanting to move to the back. Any way I can manipulate the band? It's getting on my nerves.
It's hard to see in the picture, but it's definitely not in the center of my wrist.

I different band should do it. Maybe a "short" band that is a little more even on both ends. There are people on eBay that will make bands too custom lengths.

Hard to tell in the picture (and pics can be deceiving) but the lugs don't extend beyond your wrist do they?

#1512 6 years ago

It also happens when the band is too stiff. Try breaking in the band a little.

#1515 6 years ago

The watch is only a few weeks old and I only wear it a few times a week, so the band is pretty new. I've never owned a nice band before, so maybe the higher quality ones take longer to break in that other do?

Good catch. I didn't really even look at it that way. On the back when it comes off the lugs it's pretty much vertical. On the front, there is more of a curve. I'm wondering if I can shift it's position on the pillow in my watch case and get a little more curve to it.
All my other watches (except one) have metal bands.

Just manually bend it with your hands. It will break-in.

1 week later
#1520 6 years ago

I'm going to be stopping by a Seiko outlet tomorrow if anyone is looking for anything.

#1521 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm going to be stopping by a Seiko outlet tomorrow if anyone is looking for anything.

Nothing? No discount Spring Drives or Marine Master Autos? Or even a bargain Prospex?

#1523 6 years ago

Never mind...store closed. (Why is it still listed on the website if it's closed?).

#1528 6 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

Noob question: How many watch should a man have?At least 3?5?

#1532 6 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

True watch fans snub their noses at it, no physical parts?

Pretty much....yeah.

3 weeks later
#1538 6 years ago

So I'm considering heresy...another smartwatch. I tried a Samsung once and did not like it. I like the look of a real watch. I also don't want to "charge" my stupid watch every day or even every week.

Well they have been coming out with "hybrid" smartwatches for a while now. Most of them suck (design wise) but at least you get a real analog watch face with smart functions thrown in. Then I saw Kronaby hybrid smartwatches: https://www.kronaby.com/

Pricy, but the build quality is there and the designs are nice...some are really nice. I've already seen them a little cheaper on Amazon (limited selection). A nice kicker is the (up to) two year battery life! I like that it keeps the right time showing no matter where you travel to. You have a ton of customizations you can do with the buttons. You can have a button fire your phone camera. You can have button control your music. Of course you get all the notifications you want through various vibration settings. You also get the fitness tracking (if you want) and sleep monitoring. Tons of other options and all customizable...and a watch that looks like a real watch.

Might give one a trial run.

1 week later
#1539 5 years ago

I picked up a Kronaby (Apex). So far I like it..we will see if the "smart" functions are actually useful or useless. I think the watch itself looks great. I've already got it set up to play my music with the upper pusher, show the date with the middle pusher and take a picture with the bottom pusher. It notifies me of incoming calls (that I can refuse with a push of the bottom pusher), text messages and appointment reminders from my calendar.

20180503_160024 (resized).jpg20180503_160024 (resized).jpg
20180503_160001 (resized).jpg20180503_160001 (resized).jpg
20180503_155934 (resized).jpg20180503_155934 (resized).jpg

#1540 5 years ago

Just found out I can set it up to turn on and off my HUE lights at home...I'll have to try that.

1 week later
#1549 5 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Hi all. Looking to trade a mint Rolex Deep Sea for a pin. Putting a value of $9,000 on the watch. That is pretty much what mint newer (last few years) Deep Seas sell for on Timezone Showcase. Just ask Pinside from Timezone. LOL.
Pins I would be interested in plus or minus cash are:
TZ
TAF
IJ TPA
Iron Maiden Premium or LE
Batman 66
Houdini
Hobbit
Aerosmith Premium or LE
Stern Star Wars Premium or LE
and Walking Dead Premium or LE.
Let me know. Thanks,Ant

Fair value...GLWYT

1 week later
#1555 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

For all those pricks on IG posting their rollie wrist next to a MB steering wheel & cafe latte.
Here's a F'n Seiko next to a Honda Oddysey badge while I drank a can of Mexican Guava juice lol

Quoted from PW79:

For context, here's what I mean
IG flex'n

LOL...I new EXACTLY what you meant. In fact I once douche bagged a shot myself with my Omega and an Audi

I prefer your "keeping it real" pic myself.

#1564 5 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

Having a ball, while waiting.

1-20170530_153711 (resized).jpg1-20170530_153711 (resized).jpg

It's cousin says hello

1 week later
#1567 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I live a terrible life
Popped the crystal on my gold turtle yesterday when flipping ribeyes on the grill.
Woe is me.
Bought a press & some tools. About to order a domed AR crystal & seal to see if I can learn how to DIY mods.
Wish me luck!

Shouldn't be to bad. I had to remove the automatic movement from one of my watches to fix it. It's amazing the information you can find online.

2 months later
#1590 5 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

Can anyone recommend a reputable place to purchase used rolex?

Here is a couple I have heard about but have not used:
https://davidsw.com/ (great reputation)
https://www.bobswatches.com/

1 month later
#1609 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

...don't know anything about it!
[quoted image]

Me neither

#1612 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Seems to be a Parnis.

Hope you got it dirt cheap.

#1615 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Just picked up this....Orange is in for some reason.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool....very sporty.

2 months later
#1654 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

My Seiko 5 is losing like 3-5 minutes a day. That seems.... bad. I've read some things saying they aren't very adjustable either. Is it possible to dial it in at all? I need to check the warranty.

Yeah...something is definitely wrong there!

4 months later
#1697 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Trilled with this watch. Exactly what I wanted. Vintage Datora.[quoted image]

That is sweet!

1 month later
#1710 4 years ago

I just preordered the Christopher Ward C1 Moonglow:

20190630_172825 (resized).jpg20190630_172825 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1714 4 years ago

The one that started the whole thread...the Speedmaster Professional. This week marks the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. Tuesday was the launch and tomorrow was the landing. Geez...50 years and we haven't been back...crazy.

20190719_130905 (resized).jpg20190719_130905 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1716 4 years ago

My Christopher Ward C1 Moonglow has arrived! Not a watch for everyone but I really like it (thanks Bitcoin).

It tracks the moon phase in real-time. Accuracy is within 24hrs every 128 years (if the watch were kept wound). I even love the outer date wheel which is even more visible at night...very cool.

20190802_132634 (resized).jpg20190802_132634 (resized).jpg
20190802_131539 (resized).jpg20190802_131539 (resized).jpg
20190802_131128 (resized).jpg20190802_131128 (resized).jpg

#1719 4 years ago

Lume Shots:

20190803_145113 (resized).jpg20190803_145113 (resized).jpg
20190803_145957 (resized).jpg20190803_145957 (resized).jpg

#1724 4 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I understood it as he made earnings from Bitcoin, and used his investment profit to purchase.
I could be wrong.

You got it. Bought some at 4 and it went to 12 so I sold a little and bought the watch.

2 weeks later
#1725 4 years ago

Newest Acquisition: Certina DS PH200M

I really like the look on this one. It's also a really nice "bang for your buck" automatic diver and I have a thing for divers. 80hr power reserve is also a fun feature. This one is a reissue of their 1967 diver of the same name (and look). Some people don't like that it has a hesalite crystal vs sapphire...but honestly, I LOVE the look it gives this watch. It measures 43.5mm but I think it actually wears a little smaller. Probably can't tell in the posted picture but it does fit my 6.5" wrist. Came in a very nice hardshell case and included two straps...the one pictures (tan suede leather) and a striped black Nato. Overall I'm extremely impressed with the total package for the price.

Certina-DS-PH200M-Vintage (resized).jpgCertina-DS-PH200M-Vintage (resized).jpg
Certina-DS-PH200M-Vintage2 (resized).jpgCertina-DS-PH200M-Vintage2 (resized).jpg
Certina-DS-PH200M-Vintage3 (resized).jpgCertina-DS-PH200M-Vintage3 (resized).jpg
Certina (resized).jpgCertina (resized).jpg

#1727 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I'm a fan of hesalite crystals; they give a watch a nice vintage look.
Love the leather strap Did you buy direct?
https://www.certina.com/en/watch/ds-ph200m/C0364071605000

This one was never released in the US so I picked it up from Joma shop.

6 months later
#1831 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Well I got married Saturday and my wife got me a Christopher Ward C1 Moonphase as my wedding gift. I'd been wanting to buy this one for a while, so that was a nice surprise![quoted image]

Nice! I have it's brother:

20190802_132634 (resized).jpg20190802_132634 (resized).jpg
#1835 4 years ago

Just Arrived! Jaeger-LeCoultre - Amvox II
20200324_140138 (resized).jpg20200324_140138 (resized).jpg
Supposedly this was a used watch in very good condition. As far as I can tell it's completely mint, including the strap. The watch looks completely unworn, not a mark on it and the strap is still stiff with no creases.

If you're not familiar, JLC stopped producing these in 2010. This particular model was limited to 750 pieces. A very unique chronograph that clearly has no pushers. The chronograph is activated by the crystal. Just press down on the crystal at 12 O'clock to start and stop the chronograph. 6 O'clock resets it. There is a switch on the left-hand side of the case to lock the crystal and prevent accidental actuation of the chronograph. You can also set the switch to be able to start and stop but not reset. All that and it still has 50m water resistance.

Prior to this, my biggest watch purchase was my Omega Speedmaster Professional (Moon Watch), which I had purchased back in 2013. The one that started this whole thread. After that purchase, it was back to boutique watches in the 200-1800 price range...mostly towards the lower end of the range.

This time I was looking for something a little more special. I'm a tool watch guy...mostly collect dive and aviator watches. I have one watch that I would consider "dressy" and even that is a really modern take on a moon-phase by Christopher Ward; the "C-1 Moonglow".

I knew I wanted something a little "different"...but also something by a brand with a great horological history. The coolest thing (to me) about mechanical watches is the movements. I'm just fascinated by the movements. That led me to JLC..."the watchmakers, watchmaker". While I appreciate the "Master Ultra Thin Moon-Phase" and the "Reverso's"...I wanted something more for "everyday wear". I'm casual...even when I'm working, it's blue jeans every day. If I'm dressing up I'll add a sport coat to my blue jeans...that's me.

The Amvox line just struck a chord with me. Sporty, but refined. Modern and interesting...but not totally in your face. At 44mm it wears smaller thanks to short curved lugs which come in at just under 50mm lug to lug. Very wearable on my 6.5" wrist. Easy to read, cool unique features and modern everyday looks...I love it.

1 week later
#1845 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Polaris tribute, love it. I’ma JLC fan...[quoted image]

Nice! That is one I was looking at before grabbing a JLC Amvox II.

1 week later
#1859 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

...and a newcomer to the fold... the Citizen Brycen.[quoted image]

That reminds me...I don't think I ever showed this one. It's Citizens limited edition Star Wars Luke Skywalker:
20191008_154230 (resized).jpg20191008_154230 (resized).jpg

9 months later
#1930 3 years ago

I've got this one incoming:
20210113_012800 (resized).jpg20210113_012800 (resized).jpg

Formex Reef
42mm (47mm lug to lug)
300m water resistance
Ceramic bezel
Sellita SW300 COSC certified Swiss movement

#1937 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I’ve been eyeing up the Reef. Let me know what you think.

Will do

2 weeks later
#1946 3 years ago

It has arrived! Nice bit of kit. I was not expecting the added rubber strap. Came with a nice roll up travel bag that holds five watches as well. Also showed up pre-sized...which was nice.

The bracelet is very, very nice, and his micro adjustments for a perfect fit. It's also surprisingly thin for a 300M dive watch.

20210208_135155 (resized).jpg20210208_135155 (resized).jpg
20210208_133317 (resized).jpg20210208_133317 (resized).jpg
20210208_133138 (resized).jpg20210208_133138 (resized).jpg
20210208_135313 (resized).jpg20210208_135313 (resized).jpg

4 months later
#1979 2 years ago

My Jeager LeCoultre Amvox 2 is up for sale here - https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/fs-jaeger-lecoultre-amvox-2-192-t-25.5321335/

Love the watch...but I actually have my eye on a new pinball machine...which is funny because I bought the watch after selling a pinball machine

_DSC5629 (resized).JPG_DSC5629 (resized).JPG
_DSC5631 (resized).JPG_DSC5631 (resized).JPG
_DSC5625 (resized).JPG_DSC5625 (resized).JPG
_DSC5627 (resized).JPG_DSC5627 (resized).JPG
_DSC5634 (resized).JPG_DSC5634 (resized).JPG

6 months later
#2100 2 years ago

Just picked this up:
20220105-232513 (resized).jpg20220105-232513 (resized).jpg

Doxa SUB 300T in aquamarine.
While it is named the 300t the actual dive rating is 1200m! (Approximately 4000ft).
Decorated Swiss automatic movement
Sapphire crystal

Adding a 2nd pic. This one shows off the color more accurately (not my pic):
nK4vSt9 (resized).jpgnK4vSt9 (resized).jpg

#2106 2 years ago

Here is

Quoted from cconway84:

So how often are people using watches for pinball trades or vice versa? Any stories?

I've only done it indirectly. Sold a pinball machine to buy a watch, and sold a watch to buy a pinball machine.

8 months later
#2228 1 year ago

Newly acquired: The Grand Seiko Heritage Four Seasons "Shunbun" Spring Drive SBGA413. Now that's a mouthful. Pretty much impossible to catch all the details in the dial with photos.

Most of the time the dial looks white or silver. But catch the light the right way and it appears pink. "Shunbun" represents Japan's Vernal Equinox (March 20th or 21st) and is also the time of year of their famous Cherry Blossom trees to bloom. It's a handful of days where everything gets coated in the pink petals from the trees. The dial represents these petals as they cover the surface of a river.

This is my first GS and the finish is is astonishing. Easily above Omega and Rolex. Rolex would still win in the "fit" department with their superior bracelets. But the level of detail here is incredible.

20220926_151208 (resized).jpg20220926_151208 (resized).jpg
20220926_150819 (resized).jpg20220926_150819 (resized).jpg20220926_150926 (resized).jpg20220926_150926 (resized).jpg20220926_151020 (resized).jpg20220926_151020 (resized).jpg20220926_151129 (resized).jpg20220926_151129 (resized).jpg

#2231 1 year ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Beautiful. I think it would be cool if Seiko centered the power reserve indicator above the spring drive logo and tilted it to look like a fan.

That's actually not a bad idea. Would love to see it.

2 weeks later
#2236 1 year ago

New acquisition: Oris Aquis Star Wars Stormtrooper Limited Edition.

43.5mm case
Ceramic bezel
Oris 743 movement (Sellita SW220-1 base)
300M water resistant

20221012_141149 (resized).jpg20221012_141149 (resized).jpg
20221012_141240 (resized).jpg20221012_141240 (resized).jpg
20221012_142129 (resized).jpg20221012_142129 (resized).jpg

#2237 1 year ago

There's more Star Wars on the face of that watch then I ever realized. Normally you just see the Empire's logo...and maybe you catch the Tie Fighter at 12:00 on the bezel.

But there is also a subtle Death Star in the background...and then even harder to see, an X-Wing and Tie Fighter circling the Death Star. Here is an overly enhanced image:

Oris-Star-Wars-ST (resized).jpgOris-Star-Wars-ST (resized).jpg

#2240 1 year ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Love the Oris Stormtrooper Aquis! One of the nicest Star Wars-themed items anywhere. High-level nerd bling. I wish I could get it in 40.5mm.

It's really not horrible...my wrist is 6.5" at best...and that is my wrist in the pic.

2 months later
#2307 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

I missed out on the limited editions but have one of the new colors on order which should be out sometime next year. I really like what CW stands for and the quality of their pieces.
You can see my C60 Tide in this pic. Apologies for the bad lighting.
[quoted image]

I have this CW moon phase that I really like
20190806_235944 (resized).jpg20190806_235944 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2329 1 year ago
Quoted from Zartan:

Pawn Shop! Most dealers have one or two you just have to show them cash. When I got my Daytona years ago. I asked how much they were they told me with a giggle. I grabbed the cash walked in again they walked past me like I wasn’t there. I said to the lady I spoke with earlier that I wanted it. She said sorry sir you have to wait to get one. I pulled the cash out put it on the glass and one suddenly appeared.

How did you verify the authenticity?

#2332 1 year ago
Quoted from Zartan:

Look up their website!

Who's? You said "pawn shop".

1 week later
2 weeks later
#2390 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

The Omega Spirate technology. Impressive news in the watch world today.
https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/speedmaster/two-counters/super-racing/product

Cool watch, and interesting tech...but I still prefer the looks of the original.

1 month later
#2436 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Not mine but thought it was appropriate to share New Pulp Fiction game. That streams have crossed.
[quoted image]

I'm getting this watch

1 month later
#2459 11 months ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I have used this guy (below) before with very good success. You might want to give him a try. As for diving with my watches, I used to regularly swim/snorkel with my 30 year old Rolex Datejust, until I was entering the sea one time and saw that the winder had popped out and wouldn't screw back down. Close call! I sent it in and Mark (below) fixed it for me. His advice was never to take your Rolex or other expensive watch into the water. He said that although a watch in good condition SHOULD be water resistant to the approved depth, and he tests the watch to assure it is within specs, the consequences if something goes wrong can be significant. He talked about watches that he received for repair where the internals experienced significant rust only a few days after immersion in salt water. He said repair costs can get extremely high if the movement is partially or fully damaged. His bottom line is don't risk it - buy a less expensive dive watch to swim in and save the Submariner for other activities. I guess if I had baller money, or was a bit of a gambler, I might just go ahead and dive with it anyway. But since my funds are somewhat limited, I take it off when going in the water.
On a side note, I'm trying to decide what a good relatively inexpensive (< $500) dive watch might be. Giving thought to the Luminox watches. Anybody got a better choice?
Rolex watch repair
All Rolex watches are completely disassembled, ultrasonically cleaned, reassembled properly oiled and timed. Cases are polished; crystals and bands are buffed. Case tube, crown and back gaskets are replaced. I pressure test each Rolex repair to check for water resistance. I use genuine Rolex parts where needed.
Rolex overhaul cost is $200 plus the return shipping.Delivery time is usually 3 weeks.
Why spend $700-$800 and wait 2 months for the factory to service your watch. I can do the overhaul and have your watch back on your wrist looking and running properly in half the time.
 Mechanical Watch Repair
I can work on just about any type of good mechanical watch:
Bulova, Tudor, Seiko,Omega, Rolex, Hamilton, Gruen, Tissot etc...
Call or email anytime for an estimate on your watch repair.
1-814-837-9435

Mark Sirianni Watch Repair
25 Fraley St.
Kane, PA. 16735
Phone - 1-814-837-9435
Cell - 1-814-558-4818
www.watchdoctor.biz

Hard to beat Seiko for a less expensive dive watch. They've been building reliable dive watches for nearly 60 years.

#2460 11 months ago

New arrival:

Jack Mason "True GMT" AKA "Travelers GMT"

Mitota 9075 automatic
True GMT with jump hour
Regulated to +/- 5 sec/day.

Came with 3 different bands. Rubber, leather and the shown jubilee stainless steel with mico adjustments.

20230508_144207 (resized).jpg20230508_144207 (resized).jpg
20230508_144256 (resized).jpg20230508_144256 (resized).jpg
20230508_144614 (resized).jpg20230508_144614 (resized).jpg

#2473 11 months ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

I recently traded for one I’m really digging. Ball Conductor Transcendent
[quoted image][quoted image]

Ball makes some sweet watches. I had a Ball Engineer Master II DLC:
Ball MEIIDLC (resized).jpgBall MEIIDLC (resized).jpg

And currently have a Engineer Master III Bronze Star:
Ball-Watch-Engineer-III-Bronze-Star-and-Silver-Star-3 (resized).jpgBall-Watch-Engineer-III-Bronze-Star-and-Silver-Star-3 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
276 posts in this topic match your search for posts by astropin. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballand-watches?tu=astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.