0000D41B-C3C8-476F-9315-F1DC14B517FE (resized).jpeg
82998C7E-E264-486B-BC99-024D4B93B0A3 (resized).jpeg
video (resized).jpg
3D9BCC59-7F65-41CC-AEAC-94266EC243A4 (resized).jpeg
8470E62D-1A89-472C-B299-0A96F1DD9306 (resized).jpeg
35A7A8E5-6673-4CD7-BD0F-18C29B93C1F5 (resized).jpeg
34185F19-F7BD-42EC-8259-5006498BFF80 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 6.00.50 AM (resized).png

There are 2,416 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 49.
#2351 33 days ago

I guess I don’t get the whole Rolex thing

Are people buying them as investments to flip later?
As heirlooms to their kids?

I get limited markets but just seems really crazy to spend double retail for a watch. Is it going to appreciate that fast?

I’m wondering if the market has always been this hot or is this a new upswing since Covid?

They are neat watches. Probably the best made. Is that why they demand such a premium or is just a trendy thing now?

#2352 33 days ago

Some people are buying to flip, although if you pay "secondary" (marked up above MSRP), most sellers have taken the available profit. If you manage to find a dealer who will sell you one at retail, whether through a good relationship with them or whatever other means, they're likely going to expect you to keep it. But lots of people end up flipping them as a pinball machine worth of profit is hard for some to pass up.

Spending above retail on a watch is no different than spending above retail on a pin or on a car or on concert tickets. People are paying it and the prices are where they are because the demand is crazy compared to the supply. If there weren't people paying double the original retail, prices wouldn't be where they are. They weren't a few years ago!

I think it's safe to say that the Rolex market has been this way for a few years, the blowup started before COVID. But back in 2015/2016 and earlier, you could buy modern Rolex below retail without an issue and without any kind of wait.

They're great watches, they are very durable, and they have ultimate brand recognition. There are some old sayings about how Rolex are basically an international currency because of their rep - you could easily a Rolex most populated places around the globe quickly if you got in a pinch.

Are they for everyone? Nope. Neither is pinball or plenty of other hobbies. They are a luxury item. One that historically has held its value quite well. Will I pay a huge markup on one? No, I won't. I've bought a couple from Rolex AD's over the last few years but stopped buying them second hand when the prices went stupid. Not unlike many long time pinball enthusiasts have seen with this hobby. Just like machines sell for well over what they cost new because there's hype or demand or because they're great - or some combination of all of those.

Some people buy pins, some buy cars, some buy paintings or other collectible stuff. Horses for courses as they say, everybody's got their thing.

My $0.02 as a "collector" of the brand.

#2353 33 days ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

Spending above retail on a watch is no different than spending above retail on a pin or on a car or on concert tickets. People are paying it and the prices are where they are because the demand is crazy compared to the supply. If there weren't people paying double the original retail, prices wouldn't be where they are. They weren't a few years ago!

Basically this.

Rolex is in a very unique position. It is a brand a lot of watch collectors are interested in but it also is the most famous luxury watch brand for people who are not into watches but want a luxury watch.

Basically everyone knows the name Rolex (even if they don't know what a Rolex looks like). If you decided you wanted a nice watch Rolex was probably the first brand that came into your mind. That has been true worldwide for decades. I think the big difference now is the whole Instagram/flex culture thing has resulted in a lot more people wanting them. So you've sort of got that whole Supreme crowd also trying to scoop these up.

And it's pretty telling that a company that makes one MILLION watches per year still cannot satisfy that demand and scarcity remains a challenge.

My understanding is Rolex is building a new factory. Assuming it actually allows them to produce more watches (I'm not yet clear if that's the factory's purpose... Rolex definitely doesn't want to overproduce because it will reduce the prestige of the brand) I think things will loosen up more. We've seen a lot of second-hand price declines on Rolex models since March 2022. Also, continuing economic pressure because of the crypto collapse and equity markets no longer rapidly growing should mean fewer people are in a financial position to buy them, which will also lessen demand.

Will it ever get back to the point where you can buy a secondhand Rolex for less than it sells for retail? I think eventually on some models. But we'll see.

#2354 33 days ago

We have been looking for a DateJust 36 for my wife. Like others have said, odds are not in anyone's favor getting one new at MSRP. Not impossible, but being in a highly populated area the lists are long. We have tried that route. I have a preferred dealer who has done me right on other purchases. I will be talking to him in a few weeks to see what he can get for us. The market is down, but it isn't done falling. We are not in a hurry and plan to buy the dip.

#2355 32 days ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

Some people are buying to flip, although if you pay "secondary" (marked up above MSRP), most sellers have taken the available profit. If you manage to find a dealer who will sell you one at retail, whether through a good relationship with them or whatever other means, they're likely going to expect you to keep it. But lots of people end up flipping them as a pinball machine worth of profit is hard for some to pass up.
I think it's safe to say that the Rolex market has been this way for a few years, the blowup started before COVID. But back in 2015/2016 and earlier, you could buy modern Rolex below retail without an issue and without any kind of wait.
They're great watches, they are very durable, and they have ultimate brand recognition. There are some old sayings about how Rolex are basically an international currency because of their rep - you could easily a Rolex most populated places around the globe quickly if you got in a pinch.
Are they for everyone? Nope. Neither is pinball or plenty of other hobbies. They are a luxury item. One that historically has held its value quite well. Will I pay a huge markup on one? No, I won't. I've bought a couple from Rolex AD's over the last few years but stopped buying them second hand when the prices went stupid. Not unlike many long time pinball enthusiasts have seen with this hobby. Just like machines sell for well over what they cost new because there's hype or demand or because they're great - or some combination of all of those.
Some people buy pins, some buy cars, some buy paintings or other collectible stuff. Horses for courses as they say, everybody's got their thing.
My $0.02 as a "collector" of the brand.

Also, be careful about your surrounding when you are wearing one. They are known to be targeted for robbery under broad daylight at all populated cities and locations.

#2356 32 days ago

Negroni, anyone?

210A9BCD-2397-4D44-A68C-A39F54EB8F3E (resized).jpeg

It is hard to capture how beautiful this dial is in person, and how it transforms with the light. Very happy with this recent purchase.

#2357 32 days ago

The point about being careful is a good one but that's just a good general rule. Look flashy and you're going to need to be a bit more aware.

A relationship with an AD really helps when it comes to purchases. A friend at an AD helped me with a new Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial earlier this year. I wasn't asked to make any additional purchases but I ended up buying a nice new anniversary ring for my wife at the same time. You know things have gotten wild when there's a wait to buy a Datejust!

FAF63093-F767-4CCF-B012-F4A170625781 2 (resized).jpg

#2358 32 days ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

The point about being careful is a good one but that's just a good general rule. Look flashy and you're going to need to be a bit more aware.
A relationship with an AD really helps when it comes to purchases. A friend at an AD helped me with a new Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial earlier this year. I wasn't asked to make any additional purchases but I ended up buying a nice new anniversary ring for my wife at the same time. You know things have gotten wild when there's a wait to buy a Datejust!
[quoted image]

That’s sharp.

#2359 32 days ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

That’s sharp.

Thanks Mike! It's a little dressy for me but it works with a suit and works with shorts and flip-flops too. The green surrounds on the numerals are very subtle. Sometimes they seem bright and POP but other times they're almost not there. Fun watch.

#2360 32 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Negroni, anyone?
[quoted image]
It is hard to capture how beautiful this dial is in person, and how it transforms with the light. Very happy with this recent purchase.

I love that.

#2361 31 days ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

[quoted image]

Very sharp watch
What’s ballpark for that one 10+?

#2362 31 days ago
Quoted from rollinover:

Very sharp watch
What’s ballpark for that one 10+?

$10.5K retail

#2363 31 days ago

Thanks. It’s my second Seiko, and I have to say I love the brand. The sheer variety and quality of their dials is incredible. And, they’re very obtainable without breaking the bank. While their accuracy and overall level of finishing lags the higher end Swiss brands (their straps and bracelets can’t compare, for instance), if you want bang for your buck in terms of beautiful dials and fun pieces to wear, you can’t go wrong.

3CF34C7E-2FD5-41C2-B033-E0C4686A4F28 (resized).jpeg

#2364 31 days ago

A lot of fun can be had by combing through the VAST Seiko 5 catalog at http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/

Found some cheapy fun little oddballs in there to round out the collection, like this 1980’s-era “Trapper Keeper” SNXF05 complete with grid lines…

7718FC23-7391-49F5-99D5-4FE58BAC86F1 (resized).jpeg

#2365 30 days ago

Is the Casio Lineage LCW-M100TSE-1AJF the greatest watch of all time? It very well may be.

3F5566F6-18F7-46A7-A6BF-8FA3F9E5B7CB (resized).jpeg

Wears like a 38mm
Sub-10mm thickness
Outstanding grey sunburst dial
Applied indices
World timer/alarm/stopwatch functions
Solar power
Second hand hits the indices dead on
No need to ever set the time/date… it is radio controlled and synchronized automatically
Lightweight titanium construction disappears on the wrist
No tools needed for making adjustments with built-in spring bar system
Sapphire crystal with AR coating
20mm lug width
Under $200

The watch nerds are all over this one, and it’s easy to see why. It really is so stupidly good regardless of price, but especially for the price, that I’ll be keeping this one until I take the big dirt nap.

#2367 27 days ago
20230112_173701 (resized).jpg20230112_173851 (resized).jpg
#2368 27 days ago
20230112_220407 (resized).jpg
#2369 27 days ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Well… it finally happened.
[quoted image]
It’s light, it’s comfy, it’s fun, and it’s quite nice looking in person. Just be sure to swap out that default strap with something adventurous and/or sporty…
[quoted image]

Was big into Rolex, AP Patek JLC etc.. until a few years ago. Sold everything off and haven’t worn a watch at all in years. Came across a moonswatch yesterday and love it. Bought 3 more today!

3AF1EB48-9281-405C-A760-9A28AC77D48D (resized).jpeg
#2370 27 days ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Was big into Rolex, AP Patek JLC etc.. until a few years ago. Sold everything off and haven’t worn a watch at all in years. Came across a moonswatch yesterday and love it. Bought 3 more today![quoted image]

Wow... which ones do you have now?

For the Pluto I recommend this one for some texture: https://www.clockworksynergy.com/shop/nato-straps/2-piece-seat-belt-2-0-nato/grey-2-piece-seat-belt-2-0-nato-watch-bands/

And this one for a more futuristic/outer space vibe: https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/products/smokey-grey-silicone-rubber-quick-release-watch-band-strap

(Clockwork also has a silicone but the almost Western-style buckle doesn't match the spacey look as well as the Barton)

Dark grey was a good color choice by the factory but I strongly dislike the way the included strap fits. Or rather, doesn't fit. Aside from dark grey, not many other colors or patterns work with the Pluto and definitely no metal bracelets... noooo. Couldn't find an exact match for the burgundy. That would also look nice.

Would advise picking a 2-piece strap over a 1-piece NATO, as the lightweight slim profile of the case is better when it sits against the wrist vs. riding on top of a NATO.

#2371 27 days ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Wow... which ones do you have now?
For the Pluto I recommend this one for some texture: https://www.clockworksynergy.com/shop/nato-straps/2-piece-seat-belt-2-0-nato/grey-2-piece-seat-belt-2-0-nato-watch-bands/
And this one for a more futuristic/outer space vibe: https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/products/smokey-grey-silicone-rubber-quick-release-watch-band-strap
(Clockwork also has a silicone but the almost Western-style buckle doesn't match the spacey look as well as the Barton)
Dark grey was a good color choice by the factory but I strongly dislike the way the included strap fits. Or rather, doesn't fit. Aside from dark grey, not many other colors or patterns work with the Pluto and definitely no metal bracelets... noooo. Couldn't find an exact match for the burgundy. That would also look nice.
Would advise picking a 2-piece strap over a 1-piece NATO, as the lightweight slim profile of the case is better when it sits against the wrist vs. riding on top of a NATO.

I have Pluto and Earth. I got Venus and Sun for my wife. We will hopefully have them all.
Definitely looking to change the straps. Thanks so much for that.

#2372 24 days ago

I'm in absolute love with this watch, so much that I've thought about selling a few pins to get it. IDK if I'm crazy or what lol. I have always loved Green Rolex's (Hulk and Starbucks) and GMT Master II's, and the left hand design is super cool. Looks like I'd be paying a hint over $20K for one though.

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 6.00.50 AM (resized).png
#2373 23 days ago

That's a BEAUTIFUL watch!! Look at it this way. You will be looking at it literally on your body every day for many years to come. Therefore, it should be something you absolutely positively love!! If you do and can afford it, then it's worth it!

#2374 23 days ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I'm in absolute love with this watch, so much that I've thought about selling a few pins to get it. IDK if I'm crazy or what lol. I have always loved Green Rolex's (Hulk and Starbucks) and GMT Master II's, and the left hand design is super cool. Looks like I'd be paying a hint over $20K for one though. [quoted image]

POWER SMASH!

#2375 23 days ago

Man, that black/green destro GMT is hot, hot, hot! The modern Jubilee bracelet is truly a pleasure to wear too.

#2376 22 days ago

I love this one, simple no complications, I wanted a white dial for a change. Super comfortable band, lightweight hardly feel like I’m wearing anything. 34185F19-F7BD-42EC-8259-5006498BFF80 (resized).jpeg

#2377 16 days ago

I’m getting hooked on Hamilton.

35A7A8E5-6673-4CD7-BD0F-18C29B93C1F5 (resized).jpeg
#2378 15 days ago

I dislike the date window, but I like this idea pointer date.

Anyone have this or a different pointer date watch? I like the old fashioned cathedral hands too.

This is a stock photo:
8470E62D-1A89-472C-B299-0A96F1DD9306 (resized).jpeg

#2379 15 days ago
Quoted from rai:

I dislike the date window, but I like this idea pointer date.
Anyone have this or a different pointer date watch? I like the old fashioned cathedral hands too.
This is a stock photo:
[quoted image]

I’ve been looking closely at this watch. Very nice.

#2380 15 days ago

Oris Big Crown is an undeniable classic with handsome good looks… and a great value.

If you like cathedral hands also consider the new 38mm Hamilton Murph from Interstellar.

3D9BCC59-7F65-41CC-AEAC-94266EC243A4 (resized).jpeg

#2381 15 days ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Oris Big Crown is an undeniable classic with handsome good looks… and a great value.
If you like cathedral hands also consider the new 38mm Hamilton Murph from Interstellar.
[quoted image]

I am looking at that one too it’s half the price, I’ll probably get both because I like some non-black watches and like pointer date which is a very interesting complication.

#2382 15 days ago

I just paid for my C1 Bel Canto Verde

video (resized).jpg
#2383 15 days ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

[quoted image]

Lucky you. Hard to get and very cool.

#2384 14 days ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

[quoted image]

That’s nice. I’ve never seen this watch before except my friend sent me a picture of this same watch only blue just a few hours before you posted. How crazy is that?

82998C7E-E264-486B-BC99-024D4B93B0A3 (resized).jpeg

#2385 14 days ago
Quoted from rai:

That’s nice. I’ve never seen this watch before except my friend sent me a picture of this same watch only blue just a few hours before you posted. How crazy is that?
[quoted image]

That is ironic. It became extremely popular in the watch world when released in November. I missed out on the blue which would have been my preferred choice but the green is still very nice. Both colors limited to 300 units. Blue sold out in 7 hours, green in 2 hours.

#2386 14 days ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I'm in absolute love with this watch, so much that I've thought about selling a few pins to get it. IDK if I'm crazy or what lol. I have always loved Green Rolex's (Hulk and Starbucks) and GMT Master II's, and the left hand design is super cool. Looks like I'd be paying a hint over $20K for one though. [quoted image]

Lefty Power!! AD hooked me up with this two months after it was announced. Wear it every day. BTW - this thread is an oasis of tranquility when I need to come up for air from the CCR owners thread or the Scooby Doo hype thread. Those are rough! Carry on!

0000D41B-C3C8-476F-9315-F1DC14B517FE (resized).jpeg
#2387 13 days ago

The Omega Spirate technology. Impressive news in the watch world today.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/speedmaster/two-counters/super-racing/product

#2388 12 days ago
Quoted from BossaNova:

Lefty Power!! AD hooked me up with this two months after it was announced. Wear it every day. BTW - this thread is an oasis of tranquility when I need to come up for air from the CCR owners thread or the Scooby Doo hype thread. Those are rough! Carry on![quoted image]

I had no idea there were lefty watches

#2389 12 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/speedmaster/two-counters/super-racing/product

That is really cool. And Omega is always good at coming up with names for their stuff that make me chuckle.

#2390 12 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Cool watch, and interesting tech...but I still prefer the looks of the original.

#2391 11 days ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Cool watch, and interesting tech...but I still prefer the looks of the original.

I think the tech is going to be the new normal for Omega and rolled out to other watches. This was a strange first choice, as the look of the watch is divisive. I’m not a huge fan of it, and I agree with you that the looks of the original are way better. Still, having a new improved master chronometer (perhaps super master chronometer now?) that has 0 to +2 seconds per day accuracy is really cool.

That said, I have a Seamaster Diver 300m master chronometer that’s about +1 second per day so it is obviously possible with the old tech, just not consistently.

1 week later
#2392 4 days ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I’ve been in 3 Rolex stores in Vegas since Tuesday. No one has any stock at all. I’m trying to buy an Explorer II Polar with no luck.

I just wanted to follow up on this post. I visited the same 3 Rolex stores everyday for 5 days while I was in Vegas and they had nothing. Well, at least that’s what they said.

Based on what everyone posted here about them not selling to people they don’t know, I decided fuck Rolex.

I bought a Bond Premium instead.

8E094A80-2890-450F-9F74-AD370D7DA2B6 (resized).jpeg

#2393 4 days ago

I just wanted to follow up on this post. I visited the same 3 Rolex stores everyday for 5 days while I was in Vegas and they had nothing. Well, at least that’s what they said.
Based on what everyone posted here about them not selling to people they don’t know, I decided fuck Rolex.
[quoted image]

Good deal, you can also buy a nice watch or several for the same price as a Rolex.

#2394 4 days ago

[quoted image]

Right decision. You escaped the trap. *clinks martini glass*

#2395 4 days ago

[quoted image]

Haha, you showed them.
If you still want one of the best sports/diver watches available, you should consider a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms https://delraywatch.com/copy-of-new-blancpain-fifty-fathoms-automatique-blue-dial-steel-on-bracelet/

#2396 4 days ago

[quoted image]

10 years ago when I got my Rolex almost any model was available to anyone but the Dayton. Now things are crazy, and I would recommend not buying watches in this current environment. Good choice on the pinball Machine.

#2397 4 days ago

[quoted image]

Congrats! I really love Bond and there's supposed to be a new code release coming next week that fixes the current lack of mode stacking. Won't get all of the modes next week but at least you won't get booted out of a mode when you start multiball. Lots of great stuff promised in a recent stream with Gomez and Vinikour.

#2398 4 days ago

Pulled out the Bell & Ross V2-93 yesterday
IMG_1655 (resized).jpg

#2399 4 days ago

Still waiting for a pic of a Bond and an Omega timepiece, or did I miss that already?

#2400 4 days ago

Anybody ever trade a Rolex for a pinball or a pinball for a Rolex (straight trade, not sell to get)? Just curious. .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop
Toys/Add-ons
12,500 (OBO)
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 130.00
Pinball Machine
Dijohn
Pinball Machine
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Interactive Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
NinjaCamp Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
There are 2,416 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballand-watches/page/48 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.