Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,053 posts
  • 243 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by PinPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A0D8A4E2-A41C-47CA-A88A-37DCA511232D (resized).jpeg
    20211022_094127 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211021-231904_Gallery.jpg
    GeorgeThiess (resized).jpg
    20211021_173626 (resized).jpg
    E271DF35-1011-4DD5-8D53-376C8A7EA05D (resized).png
    7748BA7C-CFCF-4E1F-84A8-6B01D9B64AD2 (resized).jpeg
    F3DACC92-80D3-4F01-A493-C75BF29F0B5C (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211001-234137_Gallery.jpg
    9115453C-0F8F-4138-BE41-3BDE2C3F98A3 (resized).jpeg
    SmartSelect_20211001-004051_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20211001_001700 (resized).jpg
    unnamed.gif
    20210928_153322 (resized).jpg
    20210928_192713 (resized).jpg
    timex (resized).jpg

There are 2053 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 42.
    #2001 84 days ago

Today is a Grand Seiko sort of day. Spring drive reminds me of the marriage of the technical and physical in pinball.
    PXL_20210802_142504532.jpg

#2002 83 days ago

Taking the Black Bay 58 into the city. Usually more of a fall season watch for me, but it’s been cooler lately so I had to take it out of the box. I really love the snowflake hands.

F780C869-3479-4C4F-8370-B3E9E69DE7A3 (resized).jpeg
    #2003 83 days ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Taking the Black Bay 58 into the city. Usually more of a fall season watch for me, but it’s been cooler lately so I had to take it out of the box. I really love the snowflake hands.
    [quoted image]

That’s a cool watch! I also have the blue palagos

#2004 83 days ago
    Quoted from AMSNL:

That’s a cool watch! I also have the blue palagos

Thanks!

I love the Palagos, especially the LHD version. Such a cool tool watch.

#2005 83 days ago

A couple of years ago I went out and bought a Hulk and my friend said he never would have bought a green Rolex,his is black. He did say a couple of months ago I made a good choice.

#2006 83 days ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

[quoted image]

It reminds me quite heavily of the Tag Heuer. I'm not familiar with that one, though.

#2007 83 days ago
    Quoted from boagman:

I'm not familiar with that one, though.

It’s a homage of the original Rolex no-date Submariner from the 1950s. It even has the same oversized crown. It’s a really nice piece.

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #2008 79 days ago

Today is vintage day

1986 sub steel gold. Only made from 1984-1988

Sunburst dial

Bracelet has some wear but it’s a nice easy watch to wear

C730FF79-A8EE-490A-AD0D-B00CCF94A4F0 (resized).jpegCECCBB08-3C24-4129-A305-98B6157117B7 (resized).jpeg
    #2009 74 days ago

Joined the MIB club a little late today, but better than never. Actually I'm looking a bit alien these days... better have the squad check me out soon.

nic1 (resized).jpg

alien2 (resized).jpg

#2010 73 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Joined the MIB club a little late today, but better than never. Actually I'm looking a bit alien these days... better have the squad check me out soon.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Love the Elvis watch. Fitting since his passing is coming up (Aug 16th)

#2011 73 days ago

Pinball and watches, it doesn't get better than Ryan Claytor's latest!

236918606_10165292301400332_6137618995929808114_n (resized).jpg237465219_10165292300190332_3702449370569736697_n (resized).jpg
    #2012 73 days ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Pinball and watches, it doesn't get better than Ryan Claytor's latest!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I managed to snag #5! Did you get one? They all sold VERY QUICKLY.

#2013 73 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I managed to snag #5! Did you get one? They all sold VERY QUICKLY.

I love his work and the watch, but being that I don't wear one I figured it would be better going to someone else. I am glad to hear you got one! Both that he have done are really works of art and the quick sellouts definitely reflect the interest.

#2014 70 days ago

Just got #65/100 in the mail today. Amazing design RyanClaytor!

I absolutely love the seconds hand wheel that spins behind the bumpers on the playfield to emulate flashing lights, and the jump hour hand movement. Such a unique piece.

30E91C13-90AF-41EB-9C89-B660D6944C49 (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #2015 37 days ago

I’ve been looking for an inexpensive hand wound watch to wear on weekends. Just got this Red Star Solo single hand mechanical watch. It takes a bit of getting used to, and you can’t care about accuracy too much. But it seems well suited for weekends when approximate time is all you need. The dial, crystal and hand are all convex. Looks pretty cool.

E68A55A7-352A-4323-BCDB-D7ED4D05B1DD (resized).jpeg

7F4B4696-A5C1-4845-A058-DDF4D9BF5455 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #2016 27 days ago

Latest acquisition: Timex Weekender Pacman

38mm case, 9mm width, second hand hits the indexes (with moving Pacman), and Indiglo blue maze function.

For a novelty watch, it’s surprisingly comfortable and well-executed. Currently on grey suede 20mm strap bought from Watchgecko. It’s a keeper! Better get one (or more) while they're on sale at Amazon for $42 delivered. They will sell out.

timex (resized).jpg

#2017 27 days ago

I have worn this almost daily since I bought. it's a bit filthy right now but I really like this watch.

20210928_192713 (resized).jpg

#2018 27 days ago

While I realize there are many shortages around the world in manufacturing I was shocked when I went to the local Rolex store this weekend (to look in case my wife is reading) and they had NO watches in the store! None! WTH?? Are they that behind or popular now that they have sold them all or did I just come on the wrong day? lol Kind of laughed as the store was still open with someone behind the counter but Nothing to sell??

#2019 26 days ago

Rolex plays “artificial scarcity” games. It’s not like they are hand made… it’s clever marketing.

#2020 26 days ago

We are on page 41 so I thought it was only right to break out the 41mm President.

20210928_153322 (resized).jpg
    #2021 26 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Rolex plays “artificial scarcity” games. It’s not like they are hand made… it’s clever marketing.

Well maybe but at that location in Oakbrook IL the weekly rent costs as much as a watch so not so sure an Empty store is planned marketing?

#2022 25 days ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

While I realize there are many shortages around the world in manufacturing I was shocked when I went to the local Rolex store this weekend (to look in case my wife is reading) and they had NO watches in the store! None! WTH?? Are they that behind or popular now that they have sold them all or did I just come on the wrong day? lol Kind of laughed as the store was still open with someone behind the counter but Nothing to sell??

It's a mix of things. Demand has been really high over the last few years. Production did fall in 2020 (it's a private foundation but market reports I've seen speculate they only produced 800,000 watches in 2020 due to the need to close the factory down; typical annual production is estimated at 1,000,000 watches).

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Rolex has been relatively consistent in their production output. I'd say they do choose not to expand production to meet increased demand, but by all reports they have not deliberately throttled production and reduced output (COVID requirements aside, as that was not their choice).

I do think Rolex could shuffle their 1,000,000/year output around to produce more of the high-demand steel watches and less of Cellini and other unpopular SKUs and don't do so to deliberately increase value to those who buy. I'm not a fan of this but it isn't my choice.

Not sure where all these claims Rolex doesn't hand-make watches comes from though. They don't do everything by hand but there are a number of steps that human beings directly do to each watch. Hodinkee had a piece they posted in 2015 where they toured all four factories Rolex uses and denoted the steps that were hand-made.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex

I'm not aware of any significant production changes since that time period.

#2023 25 days ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

What a timely issue, I recently found out the owner of our business has started flipping Rolex watches. They are out there, just going for a rather large premium right now!
    It is one manner at which the new rich (from Bitcoin etc) can turn that "play" money into real currency, and apparently is not being tracked by the good ole IRS.
    This is what I was told anyway, I have no horse in that race.

#2024 25 days ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

What a timely issue, I recently found out the owner of our business has started flipping Rolex watches. They are out there, just going for a rather large premium right now!

Oh yes, the "grey market" as it is called is full of Rolex models. It's easy to get a Rolex that you want, just hard to get it for retail. Many feel Rolex is not doing enough to crack down on authorized dealers (ADs) selling to people who then flip the watch on the grey for profit. I agree. Rolex has taken some steps recently but it's all been quite milquetoast in my view (e.g., *recommending* each AD limit customers to three Rolex buys per year).

The rule-of-thumb is you can get a Rolex from an AD if you have an established relationship. What does that mean? Buying less popular watches, jewelry, etc. Then, assuming the AD is on the up-and-up (and not directly selling to the grey, which Rolex does seem to punish severely if they find out), you get offered the watches you want first when they arrive.

The big question of course is do you want to dump a bunch of money on jewelry and watches you don't want to get a Rolex at the fair price, or just go grey market and pay more and get exactly what you wanted without playing games. The latter is preferred for many and so the cycle continues.

Not just Rolex either. Patek Philippe's Nautilus 5711 reportedly had a 10-year waitlist. So what did Patek do this year? Discontinued it...

#2025 25 days ago

Might as well ignore me when it comes to Rolex discussions. It's just not for me.

When I started my watch journey, "attaining the Rolex" was of course my primary goal. As a watch newbie, Rolex was the automatic grail choice. It is the most well-known and ubiquitous of all luxury brands. James Bond had one. That coke-sniffing guy in Die Hard mentioned it. Etc, etc. Thus, having that little crown meant having everything.

Or maybe having too much? The Rolex basic designs haven't changed for eons and have been homaged and knocked off to death since. In effect, my aspirational desire quickly waned after seeing the quality output of microbrands, creating a spreadsheet with many hundreds of other interesting makes, seeing the GS Spring Drive in person and appreciating the hybrid tech powering it, and especially after examining ultra-luxe pieces many steps ahead of Rolex... Louis Moinet, Bovet, Patek, VC, JLC, Moser & Cie, Andersen Geneve, MB&F, Romain Gauthier, FP Journe, Rudis Sylva, Sarpaneva, Graff, A Lange & Sohne, Leroy, Arnold & Son... holy moley it just goes on and on. Previously, I'd only known Sean Connery and Joe Biden to be the final arbiters of luxurious wrist candy.

The games Rolex dealers play (and the obsequious things buyers do to curry their favor) now strikes me as a peculiar collector hobbyist community not unlike people who exchange vintage Magic cards for $50,000 or baseball card collections. As long as this particular group of collectors stays focused upon Rolex, it's true, you really can't lose money on them unlike other brands. By that measure, perhaps they really are the best. So what do I know? :p

#2026 25 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Might as well ignore me when it comes to Rolex discussions. It's just not for me.
    When I started my watch journey, "attaining the Rolex" was of course my primary goal. As a watch newbie, Rolex was the automatic grail choice. It is the most well-known and ubiquitous of all luxury brands. James Bond had one. That coke-sniffing guy in Die Hard mentioned it. Etc, etc. Thus, having that little crown meant having everything.
    Or maybe having too much? The Rolex basic designs haven't changed for eons and have been homaged and knocked off to death since. In effect, my aspirational desire quickly waned after seeing the quality output of microbrands, creating a spreadsheet with many hundreds of other interesting makes, seeing the GS Spring Drive in person and appreciating the hybrid tech powering it, and especially after examining ultra-luxe pieces many steps ahead of Rolex... Louis Moinet, Bovet, Patek, VC, JLC, Moser & Cie, Andersen Geneve, MB&F, Romain Gauthier, FP Journe, Rudis Sylva, Sarpaneva, Graff, A Lange & Sohne, Leroy, Arnold & Son... holy moley it just goes on and on. Previously, I'd only known Sean Connery and Joe Biden to be the final arbiters of luxurious wrist candy.
    The games Rolex dealers play (and the obsequious things buyers do to curry their favor) now strikes me as a peculiar collector hobbyist community not unlike people who exchange vintage Magic cards for $50,000 or baseball card collections. As long as this particular group of collectors stays focused upon Rolex, it's true, you really can't lose money on them unlike other brands. By that measure, perhaps they really are the best. So what do I know? :p

The guy was a douche but the movie "Die Hard" was one of the best ever made.

unnamed.gif
    #2027 25 days ago

If you think first world problems are out of control on pinside head on over here for some good times -

https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

#2028 25 days ago
    Quoted from jalkelly:

If you think first world problems are out of control on pinside head on over here for some good times -
    https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Wow

#2029 24 days ago

Gruen curvex reissue my wife got me years ago. I used to work across from the old Geuen Factory on Time Hill for 12 years in Cincinnati so it was fitting. It always reminded me of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

20211001_001700 (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20211001-004051_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #2030 24 days ago

On the subject of Rolex, the brand has never appealed to me all that much. Would I take one? Sure. Would I pay outlandish prices for one on the grey market? No.

Here’s an interesting video that gives some inside information on the AD, customer, Rolex HQ relationship.

#2031 24 days ago

Today’s verry rare mint gem

Rolex 1811 Daydate Moiré finish 1967
    9115453C-0F8F-4138-BE41-3BDE2C3F98A3 (resized).jpeg

#2032 24 days ago
    Quoted from AMSNL:

Today’s verry rare mint gem
    Rolex 1811 Daydate Moiré finish 1967
    [quoted image]

Snazzy. I take it all back.

#2033 23 days ago

Usually not a Breitling guy but I did like this watch. When the right deal comes by you almost have to grab it. She is getting along well with some other brands in my collection.

Screenshot_20211001-234137_Gallery.jpg
    #2034 23 days ago

Great thread love seeing these amazing timepieces.

I own a Rolex GMT Master, Breitling Avenger and a Hublot Unico Big Big Bang.there’s a couple others that are not worth mentioning. I haven’t worn one in the last 2 years. They sit in my safe with my firearms. Another thing I collected just because. I bought the Hublot intoxicated wandering around in Vegas. Wife made me do it.

Anyways, now that I’m into pinball, I wish I would have bought a new Pin instead of the Hublot. That being said, I still have a watch on my grail list and that’s the Saphire Crystal Big Bang. Someday…
    F3DACC92-80D3-4F01-A493-C75BF29F0B5C (resized).png

2 weeks later
    #2035 5 days ago

Here’s an Armitron digital chronograph circa 1977. It was a birthday gift from my sister. Suffice it to say, it’s a special watch to me.

7748BA7C-CFCF-4E1F-84A8-6B01D9B64AD2 (resized).jpeg
    #2036 4 days ago

I have an old Pulsar digital watch which I bought many years ago when they sold them at Bailey, Banks and Biddle! It was the one featured in the James Bond movie and of course any red blooded American male HAD to have one just like it! Needless to say, it stopped working long ago and the batteries they used in it are not easily available. Anybody know someone who can get it working again? It might be fun to alternate it with the Submariner from time to time!

#2037 4 days ago

Dont want to embarrass people who gifted, deleted image.

#2038 4 days ago
    Quoted from wtfbliz:

I wanna play
    [quoted image]

Don’t want to be a dick...

But or it’s how the picture is made ,but that looks like a fake iwc

Iwc is know for the craftsman’s work

Look @ the 11 and the second diverted hand is not straight

E271DF35-1011-4DD5-8D53-376C8A7EA05D (resized).png

#2039 4 days ago
    Quoted from AMSNL:

Don’t want to be a dick...
    But or it’s how the picture is made ,but that looks like a fake iwc
    Look @ the 11 and the second diverted hand is not straight

Huh? The second hand is the small dial. The minute hand looks correct?

#2040 4 days ago

The one at the bottom

But the 11 and the 10 are not correct, but it could be me . I’ve been in the watch scene to long and my eyes always triggers some shizzle

#2041 4 days ago

Good eye, maybe it is... was a gift and people who gave to me know Im on the forum so dont want to embarrass them.

#2042 4 days ago
    Quoted from wtfbliz:

Good eye, maybe it is... was a gift and people who gave to me know Im on the forum so dont want to embarrass them.

Sorry did not want to be an asshole or trying to call you out. I just notice it . Be safe and just wear what you like!

#2043 4 days ago
    Quoted from AMSNL:

The one at the bottom
    But the 11 and the 10 are not correct, but it could be me . I’ve been in the watch scene to long and my eyes always triggers some shizzle

Good eye. Always amazes me they can make a 9k watch for $90 and few could even notice. Kills the used market and resale as they are pros at pirating these.

#2044 4 days ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

I have an old Pulsar digital watch which I bought many years ago when they sold them at Bailey, Banks and Biddle! It was the one featured in the James Bond movie and of course any red blooded American male HAD to have one just like it! Needless to say, it stopped working long ago and the batteries they used in it are not easily available. Anybody know someone who can get it working again? It might be fun to alternate it with the Submariner from time to time!

There are companies who make replacement modules and/or service those. The biggest challenge to servicing them is that the parts are long-obsolete and NLA, and there are no modern replacements for those old "bubble" style 7-seg LEDs. There are LEDs that can be used to approximate the original appearance, but it is impossible at present to accurately reproduce the geometry of the digits or the specific red color, which was derived by dyeing the plastic lens to filter all wavelengths except the specific 655nm line (this is the reason those old displays look so absolutely, purely RED, with none of the orangey overtones you typically see from a red LED).

Most of these watches go "bad" for reasons other than the display, usually battery corrosion or some other problem with the electronics module, so there are companies who specialize in making replacement modules that let you use the old display, thereby maintaining proper appearance:
    https://pulsarledtime.com/Replacement-LED-Watch-Modules/

I have a gold PII that belonged to my dad (the stainless version was the one in "Live and Let Die"), and it still works but I had to use a benchtop power supply to test it as the batteries are NLA! My mother said he "just HAD to have it" (of course he did, he was a young engineer and NOTHING in 1973 would have been more "hip" or appropriate!), but only wore it for about six months before going back to his late 60s Hamilton chrono (which was a little "high-tech" in its own right because it featured one of the first automatic chrono calibers, co-developed with Breitling and Tissot).

I liked the design so much that I bought the Hamilton re-release version over the summer, and I feel they absolutely NAILED it! The only obvious difference is that the new one has "Hamilton" engraved in the case rather than "Pulsar". The case and bracelet are finished just as nicely as the original and the watch feels identical to the old one on-wrist, the display is as perfect a facsimile of the original as is humanly possible, and it gets much more attention when I wear it than any of my other watches that cost multiples of what this did. I wasn't kidding when I said there is no modern replacement for the displays; it turns out they (specifically, Swatch Group) ultimately had to solve the problem by developing (and patenting) their own in-house display, which consists of a monochrome dot-matrix OLED that's tuned specifically to the correct red wavelength and preserves the dot appearance PLUS a transflective LCD with red digits that allows the time to be read in high-brightness settings without the need to activate the LEDs. Also, it uses a CR2032 battery, which won't go obsolete in our lifetimes.

Highly recommend the Hamilton, and you can get one from one of the "grey market" sellers for around $500 (the original was around $18k in 2021 dollars, so it's a screaming good deal!)

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/psr

#2045 4 days ago

Anyone want a Congo Watch? Just cover shipping, etc.

$5-7 Total.

Art

20211021_173626 (resized).jpg
    #2046 4 days ago

Hey Therm... good bit of info there. Not sure if this is known in Pinball World or not, but my uncle is the original inventor of the LED watch (George Thiess, pictured below). He built the first prototypes from classified military transistors which could operate at 1 watt, partly due to his time in the Korean War in the US Air Force. He also built electric car prototypes well ahead of the curve which ran on sea water (magnesium charged the batteries).

Uncle George is an EXTREMELY ambitious fellow and is still with us today inventing things. When I visited his home around 2004, he had built an above-ground tornado shelter inside and ACTUALLY USED IT when the house took A DIRECT TORNADO HIT only a few years later. Just an incredible guy, all-round.

GeorgeThiess (resized).jpg

His inspiration to make the LED watch came from the Bulova Accutron. He thought, "Hey! That isn't an ELECTRONIC watch! It's an ELECTRO-MECHANICAL watch. I'll show them a REAL electronic watch!"

...and of course the rest was history.

#2047 4 days ago

I was feeling very nautical today.

Screenshot_20211021-231904_Gallery.jpg
    #2048 3 days ago

I like that Rolex more than any of the other diamond crusted stuff recently shown. I guess it's the blue.

#2049 3 days ago

playtwowin damn that’s a nice watch! Heavy as F. One day I want that in my collection I know some people don’t like that model but to me it’s a verry nice bulky gold watch

#2050 3 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I like that Rolex more than any of the other diamond crusted stuff recently shown. I guess it's the blue.

Thank you. I love this watch. The gold with the white and blue really pops. Also it has such a presence at 44mm.

There are 2053 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 42.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside