20240328_132611 (resized).jpg
20240328_133155 (resized).jpg
20240328_132004 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_125215854 (resized).jpg
584B2BD0-71AB-4AFA-885B-9BBA9C938FB8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3801 (resized).JPG
IMG_3803 (resized).JPG
66DA93E6-9AFB-49D2-8E7F-3808007DCBEA (resized).jpeg
There are 2,916 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 59.
#151 8 years ago

This is the watch I'm bidding on now....

$_57.JPG$_57.JPG
#152 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

$_57.JPG

Good luck!!!....late to Pinside today...hope you already won it!!!.....

#153 8 years ago

I owned my last watch in 2006. I was driving at about 85mph on the Interstate in Montana and noticed the battery went out for the second time in six months, so I opened the window and threw it out onto the highway in the fast lane. I made sure it landed in a spot that would get hit repeatedly until it was literally disintegrated.

Have not missed it, but I do understand the attraction to fine watches as an amazing piece of mechanical art.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I owned my last watch in 2006. I was driving at about 85mph on the Interstate in Montana and noticed the battery went out for the second time in six months, so I opened the window and threw it out onto the highway in the fast lane. I made sure it landed in a spot that would get hit repeatedly until it was literally disintegrated.
Have not missed it, but I do understand the attraction to fine watches as an amazing piece of mechanical art.

Laughed out loud ...great response!!!....if only I could throw everything that pissed me off out the window my life would ROCK.....

Your last line is precisely why I like collecting them......

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

That Monaco is sick! Probably my 2nd favorite watch of all time......don't own one......yet.
Here are couple of others from my small collection.....nothing as nice as the Speedmaster but I like them:
Ball Engineer Master II DLC
IMGP7487_1_.jpg
XW "Tsunami" Limited Edition
XWTsunamiSilver.jpg
Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
6969301184_5557be8517_b.jpg
And this one is incoming - Helgray "Meca-Quartz" Hybrid Movement (Mechanical Chronograph but Quartz time keeping)
helgray-silverstone-1920px-20.jpg

How do you like the Steinhart?

I've been considering buying one, as they seem to be a really great bang for the buck watch if I'm not going to spend at least $3k+ on a watch.

I'd love a Rolex Submariner (just a great, classic look), but I'm thinking perhaps the Steinhart homage might suffice.

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

That's what you get for buying a watch that takes batteries!

#157 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

$_57.JPG

I hope you won.

I've had a 3940 for almost 15 years and it is still my favorite.

#158 8 years ago

Tag Link automatic. 10 years old

image.jpgimage.jpg
#159 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I hope you won.

I didn't! It went for $1k over what I bid! ($5.2k) Not happy...but now there is an Omega in my sights!

#160 8 years ago

I haven't worn a watch in years. I've actually considered grabbing an android watch.. I guess that's probably outside of the realm of discussion here. I figure it would probably have a 3 month lifespan, so I've held back. Still, I love the idea of having a classic watchface on all the time, and having the ability to use it as a golf course gps.

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That seems like a horrible trade to me, value wise. Unless that 1911 is a lot more valuable than it looks.

Thought the exact same thing, immediately followed by: "Unless you need one or the other."

Quoted from mswhat:

Tag Link automatic. 10 years old

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I really wanted one of those but got out of the sport before I bought one. Got rid of everything but a Movado Museum Esperanza, an ESQ (nothing special, just liked the vague Patek chrono homage) and a Grand Seiko Automatic. The one I wish I'd kept was a Hamilton Ventura, but after Men in Black I felt silly wearing it.

#162 8 years ago

This thread is getting expensive. I just bought a Seiko diving watch because if you guys!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#163 8 years ago

I admire fine watches, but just have no desire to spend the money on the man jewlery

#164 8 years ago

I don't own one but this is my favorite

speedmaster-michael-schumacher.pngspeedmaster-michael-schumacher.png
#165 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've been considering buying one, as they seem to be a really great bang for the buck watch if I'm not going to spend at least $3k+ on a watch.
I'd love a Rolex Submariner (just a great, classic look), but I'm thinking perhaps the Steinhart homage might suffice.

It is absolutely a tremendous "bang for the buck". Very nice "fit and finish".... Swiss ETA 2824 elabore automatic movement, solid bracelet, domed sapphire crystal (with anti reflective coatings) , dive rated (300 meters), Super Luminova markers.....tough to beat at its price point.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I admire fine watches, but just have no desire to spend the money on the man jewlery

Likewise. Also a car guy currently driving a slightly crushed beer can because of priorities.

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have a Steinhart GMT clone. Definitely good bang for the buck. You're not going to get the fit and finish of a Rolex, but it's got a solid ETA movement, it's not a crappy watch.

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It is absolutely a tremendous "bang for the buck". Very nice "fit and finish".... Swiss ETA 2824 elabore automatic movement, solid bracelet, domed sapphire crystal (with anti reflective coatings) , dive rated (300 meters), Super Luminova markers.....tough to beat at its price point.

Quoted from Aurich:

I have a Steinhart GMT clone. Definitely good bang for the buck. You're not going to get the fit and finish of a Rolex, but it's got a solid ETA movement, it's not a crappy watch.

Thanks for the replies guys. Funny thing is that I have been pondering the Steinhart for a few months now. It's pretty much a decision to go with it's Submariner homage, or buying a used Submariner. Even a used one will be 5x the price of the Steinhart. But the Rolex will retain it's value.

Decisions decisions....

#169 8 years ago

Watches are so entirely subjective. They're hard to justify, beyond just loving them.

I will say this, and maybe it's just me being shallow, but I was a little conscious of wearing the Steinhart (haven't in a while now) and it looking like a Rolex knockoff. I wish they'd done a little more to claim their own design space.

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Watches are so entirely subjective. They're hard to justify, beyond just loving them.
I will say this, and maybe it's just me being shallow, but I was a little conscious of wearing the Steinhart (haven't in a while now) and it looking like a Rolex knockoff. I wish they'd done a little more to claim their own design space.

Well, it is definitely considered an "homage", which many would equate to a "knockoff", so it is what it is.

I wish the Steinhart had the same size bezel as the Submariner. I think it's 2mm bigger if I remember correctly? My wrists aren't very big, so the Submariner would be the perfect fit at 40mm.

But I know exactly what you mean.

My brother has a Submariner. I know he'd give me shit for buying the Steinhart.

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well, it is definitely considered an "homage", which many would equate to a "knockoff", so it is what it is.
I wish the Steinhart had the same size bezel as the Submariner. I think it's 2mm bigger if I remember correctly? My wrists aren't very big, so the Submariner would be the perfect fit at 40mm.
But I know exactly what you mean.
My brother has a Submariner. I know he'd give me shit for buying the Steinhart.

To be honest, while I have watches that cost as much as the Sub, I really feel like you are "saying something" when you wear a Rolex, and for me personally buying one would have to be tied to a life moment. Something like having a kid, or getting a promotion. Basically why I was looking at the black bay instead of the sub, even though they serve the identical purpose.

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

To be honest, while I have watches that cost as much as the Sub, I really feel like you are "saying something" when you wear a Rolex, and for me personally buying one would have to be tied to a life moment. Something like having a kid, or getting a promotion. Basically why I was looking at the black bay instead of the sub, even though they serve the identical purpose.

Agreed. I came *very* close to buying a Submariner back when I graduated from Law School for this very reason. Sadly, I did not do it (told myself I was still a starving student etc.). Looking back on it, I should have done it. Would be worth more now that what I could have bought it for back then.

#173 8 years ago

I own quite a few watches, but rarely wear them. I consider them to be art and keep many displayed around my home.

#174 8 years ago

I love watches as well. Here's my Girard Perregaux Casquette LED watch. Only worn when I know I'll be playing an EM.

1897656_10151961754420880_1682130387_n.jpg1897656_10151961754420880_1682130387_n.jpg 1962823_10151961757295880_1432050315_n.jpg1962823_10151961757295880_1432050315_n.jpg
#175 8 years ago

If I was willing to spend the coin, the IWC Portuguese would be near the top of my list.

Messages Image(398571071).pngMessages Image(398571071).png
#176 8 years ago

Rolex Hulk, Stern Hulk.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#177 8 years ago
Quoted from guarda:

I love watches as well. Here's my Girard Perregaux Casquette LED watch. Only worn when I know I'll be playing an EM.

Very cool, and very rare....the ultra rare 18k version no less! I don't know because you never see them for sale but my guess is that puppy would trade fairly with an HUO Spider-Man (or IMVE, or Tron Pro.....place 5k pin here....)

#178 8 years ago

Thanks! There's one on eBay right now for a cool thou. Go for it! Rare are the ones that work (out of the 2200 made), as they exhibited the same battery leakage issues our pins do, so if you do, ask for a pic of the mechanism. Mine was gifted by a dear client so I probably won't be trading it anytime soon.

Arthur

Quoted from Astropin:

Very cool, and very rare....the ultra rare 18k version no less! I don't know because you never see them for sale but my guess is that puppy would trade fairly with an HUO Spider-Man (or IMVE, or Tron Pro.....place 5k pin here....)

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

I actually have key moments tied to each of my 3 Rolex....and they are all now worth reasonably more than I paid for them. Kind of a win/ win....important to keep ALL the paperwork, boxes, etc......it's amazing how the brand has been so solid and recognizable for so long.

I find there are times to wear them, and times not ( preconceived notions on both ends of the spectrum).

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If I was willing to spend the coin, the IWC Portuguese would be near the top of my list.

Messages Image(398571071).png

You won't regret it.

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's a fine line I guess but generally "homage" is okay and "knockoff" is a huge no-no. The difference.....a Homage says Steinhart (or whatever) right on the face....and they have subtle style differences that are all their own.......a knockoff say's Rolex....but isn't a Rolex.

Hell 80% of the dive watches on the market are "homage's" to someone.....mostly Rolex but there are plenty of Omega's and many others. As long as it's got quality parts and it's own badge on the front it's okay by me. You would never ever catch me wearing a knockoff.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

Rolex Hulk, Stern Hulk.

image.jpg

Nice!!!....almost pulled the trigger on that one ( watch, not the pin) when those were available.....

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It's a fine line I guess but generally "homage" is okay and "knockoff" is a huge no-no. The difference.....a Homage says Steinhart (or whatever) right on the face....and they have subtle style differences that are all their own.......a knockoff say's Rolex....but isn't a Rolex.
Hell 80% of the dive watches on the market are "homage's" to someone.....mostly Rolex but there are plenty of Omega's and many others. As long as it's got quality parts and it's own badge on the front it's okay by me. You would never ever catch me wearing a knockoff.

Well said.

Steinhart Ocean 1 back in the strong running!

Messages Image(1531395266).pngMessages Image(1531395266).png
#184 8 years ago

I'm jealous. That is an amazing watch and also my grail watch. I will get one someday.

Have you had any issues with scratches on the face of the watch? I heard the Omega Speedmaster Professional uses a plastic face instead of a sapphire face as NASA wouldn't allow a watch face made out of glass as if it did shatter pieces of glass would be floating around the spacecraft.

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm jealous. That is an amazing watch and also my grail watch. I will get one someday.
Have you had any issues with scratches on the face of the watch? I heard the Omega Speedmaster Professional uses a plastic face instead of a sapphire face as NASA wouldn't allow a watch face made out of glass as if it did shatter pieces of glass would be floating around the spacecraft.

That's an urban legend. The original Speedmaster has a hesalite face, which is a synthetic crystal, that's basically a plastic. It can scratch, but it can be polished too. But that's just how it was designed, nothing to do with NASA. They just went out to the local watch store, bought up a handful of watches, and tested them. The Speedy was was the only one to pass the tests, so it got to go to the moon. NASA didn't work with the watch manufacturers or anything.

You can still get a hesalite Speedmaster, but it's for nostalgia's sake only really. Mine has a standard sapphire crystal.

#186 8 years ago

This Wizard of Oz watch below is my personal favorite. Personally, there's no better watch out there in my opinion. This is a limited edition emerald city edition version of the watch. The watch features a special sapphire face called "invisiface" that is not only scratch resistant but also doesn't show reflections. Inside the watch is a small vibrating motor that activates when the alarm is triggered, another LE only feature. Finally the watch features a green LE band which isn't found on the other models. Multiple dials, super time calculating, LE features galore, complete watch code, and more.

woz_70.jpgwoz_70.jpg

I couldn't resist, haha

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's an urban legend. The original Speedmaster has a hesalite face, which is a synthetic crystal, that's basically a plastic. It can scratch, but it can be polished too. But that's just how it was designed, nothing to do with NASA. They just went out to the local watch store, bought up a handful of watches, and tested them. The Speedy was was the only one to pass the tests, so it got to go to the moon. NASA didn't work with the watch manufacturers or anything.
You can still get a hesalite Speedmaster, but it's for nostalgia's sake only really. Mine has a standard sapphire crystal.

Great information and interesting too. Thank you!

#189 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well said.
Steinhart Ocean 1 back in the strong running!

Beautiful watch, was surprised at how reasonably priced as well. Thinking ceramic or metal?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I couldn't resist, haha

Ok, that was funny. =)

#190 8 years ago

Mine

Quoted from PanzerFreak:I'm jealous. That is an amazing watch and also my grail watch. I will get one someday.

Mine is like the original right Dow to the hesalite crystal. It can scratch but is also easy to fix with some Polywatch and a soft cloth. No permanent scratches so far. It does give the watch a different look. Also interesting to note is that the sapphire version is not NASA approved even to this day.

#191 8 years ago

I don't have anything ridiculous expensive, but I have a probably around 15 in total. I will need to take a picture soon.

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Mine

Mine is like the original right Dow to the hesalite crystal. It can scratch but is also easy to fix with some Polywatch and a soft cloth. No permanent scratches so far. It does give the watch a different look. Also interesting to note is that the sapphire version is not NASA approved even to this day.

I assume it's a manual wind then? No rotor?

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I assume it's a manual wind then? No rotor?

Yes...manual wind roughly 40hr reserve. I just wind it once a day when wearing.

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I own quite a few watches, but rarely wear them. I consider them to be art and keep many displayed around my home.

I am way too practical to do something like that.

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Beautiful watch, was surprised at how reasonably priced as well. Thinking ceramic or metal?

That's a good question.

What do the watch experts think? The ceramic option is only about $30 over the aluminum inlay.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/OCEAN-1-BLACK,14.html

#196 8 years ago

I am way too practical to do something like that.

Admittedly, I purchased them as an investment.

Some have appreciated and others have tanked, but they sure are pretty look at. I probably haven't made a dime, but haven't lost one either.

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's a good question.
What do the watch experts think? The ceramic option is only about $30 over the aluminum inlay.
http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/OCEAN-1-BLACK,14.html

The ceramic should be far more scratch resistant.....for that reason alone I'd go for it.

#198 8 years ago

I'm not a watch guy but I did purchase one recently when I was visiting Tokyo. It's a Gostar De Fuga and to the best of my knowledge is a brand only sold in Japan. I thought it was cool. image.jpgimage.jpg

// Error: Image 412977 not found //

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

The ceramic should be far more scratch resistant.....for that reason alone I'd go for it.

100% this. Get the ceramic, you'll be much happier in the long run.

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Correct.....ceramic wins...done....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 2,916 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballand-watches/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.