20240328_132611 (resized).jpg
20240328_133155 (resized).jpg
20240328_132004 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_125215854 (resized).jpg
584B2BD0-71AB-4AFA-885B-9BBA9C938FB8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3801 (resized).JPG
IMG_3803 (resized).JPG
66DA93E6-9AFB-49D2-8E7F-3808007DCBEA (resized).jpeg
There are 2,916 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 59.
#1201 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

(unless you are a douchebag).

I cannot confirm nor deny if that label would apply to me at times

#1202 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I cannot confirm nor deny if that label would apply to me at times

Pretty much applies to all of us...at times. Unless you're Mother Theresa...then it applies all the time.

#1203 6 years ago

I have the dumb question of the day. I was wearing my Boliva that says "Water Resistant 300m" on the face. Can I go swimming with that on?

I did a little reading and most people are saying that you shouldn't wear it in a pool because it's not guaranteed to keep water out.

Thoughts?

#1204 6 years ago
Quoted from HeyYouSir:

Invicta Pro Diver watch. My first Invicta. Not perfect, but very affordable.

The 8926OB is awesome too. Sub-like, and you don't have to worry about beating it up or paying $1,000 every time you service it. Just trash it and get another...

The Invicta Speedway series is great too if you want the Daytona look. People trash Invicta for some of their ridiculous designs and inflated MSRPs but at the end of the day, they're a pretty decent value.

-Doug

IMG_1617 (resized).JPGIMG_1617 (resized).JPG

#1205 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I have the dumb question of the day. I was wearing my Boliva that says "Water Resistant 300m" on the face. Can I go swimming with that on?
I did a little reading and most people are saying that you shouldn't wear it in a pool because it's not guaranteed to keep water out.
Thoughts?

I'm no expert, but if the watch has a maximum depth on it, it should be ok to swim with it. Do not operate any of the features under water, unless it is a diving watch. Then clean the watch with straight water, after getting out of salt water, pool or hot tub, chlorine and other chemicals will effect the appearance, and shorten the life of cloth and leather bands.

If it has water resistant on the case, I would not swim with it on.

#1206 6 years ago

Thoughts?

If it says that it is good for 300m, as long as the stem is screwed tight and it has not been tampered with in the past you will be fine in the pool.

#1207 6 years ago

You guys are scaring me.

Maybe I'll just take it off to be safe. It wasn't that expensive, but I really like it.

#1208 6 years ago

Maybe I'll just take it off to be safe.

Bingo!

#1209 6 years ago

You guys got some nice watches. Here is one I saw recently. Looks pretty cool. It's a perpetual calendar. Pretty big on the wrist

IMG_3303 (resized).JPGIMG_3303 (resized).JPG

#1210 6 years ago

Today I'm wearing a Seiko flighstmaster

I dont think this one has been in an airplane yet tho lol

grrrrrr its fake

See what I did there. I'm my own worst enemy sometimes ha

Red white & blue Happy July 4th

20170704_143649 (resized).jpg20170704_143649 (resized).jpg

#1211 6 years ago

Thoughts?

From what I've read, a watch rated to 300m should be fine for swimming if the seals are all good. It's recommended that you bring your watch to a shop that can verify the depth rating once a year if you plan to swim with it.

#1212 6 years ago

300m ... fine to swim with.

Every year? I swim with all of my watches that are rated 200m or better. One I've swam with for 15 years and have never had it "checked"...still works perfectly.

#1213 6 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

You guys got some nice watches. Here is one I saw recently. Looks pretty cool. It's a perpetual calendar. Pretty big on the wrist

That particular IWC is one expensive watch!

#1214 6 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

The 8926OB is awesome too. Sub-like, and you don't have to worry about beating it up or paying $1,000 every time you service it. Just trash it and get another...
The Invicta Speedway series is great too if you want the Daytona look. People trash Invicta for some of their ridiculous designs and inflated MSRPs but at the end of the day, they're a pretty decent value.
-Doug

That Invicta is it pretty convincing sub knock off!

#1215 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Then again I think anyone with a mortgage that has the balls to call themselves a "homeowner" is fake too. That's not home ownership, that's an elaborate rental agreement.. But plenty disagree with me there too.

I have enjoyed reading the back and forth banter, and you bring up good points, but this one I wonder a little.

Let me define first though...

If you apply for a mortgage on a home you can't "afford" (living house poor) than yes, I agree completely.

However, if you need to break into the market, which in some cases is very difficult (i.e. most of Canada - holy hell are we screwed) than a mortgage is required. It is near impossible for anyone starting out to buy a home within 80-100 miles of a major metro here [Canada] to even being to fathom home-ownership.

Now when it comes to leasing a car.... that is a long term rental. While it has some merits, especially in business sense, it is usually just people who want more but can't buy it.

#1216 6 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I have enjoyed reading the back and forth banter, and you bring up good points, but this one I wonder a little.
Let me define first though...
If you apply for a mortgage on a home you can't "afford" (living house poor) than yes, I agree completely.
However, if you need to break into the market, which in some cases is very difficult (i.e. most of Canada - holy hell are we screwed) than a mortgage is required. It is near impossible for anyone starting out to buy a home within 80-100 miles of a major metro here [Canada] to even being to fathom home-ownership.
Now when it comes to leasing a car.... that is a long term rental. While it has some merits, especially in business sense, it is usually just people who want more but can't buy it.

Here are two Canadians with a great story

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/about/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641

I don't think 99% of car loans are responsible either. There are exceptions of course. I'm aware that the 1% exception uses a low rate to combat inflation or opportunity loss to find gains to offset the vehicles depreciation but the other 99%, normal folks, just cannot afford the car so they finance it.

Same goes for mortgage interest. If it was that valuable folks would refi to higher rates. IMO unless a person has a multimillion dollar note & a 39.6% marginal bracket with the purchase price of the house invested then they need to pay it off, again this is IMO.

Mortgages & car loans are fine to get "life" started but IMO they are what ruin the middle class (long term). I still have a mortgage, for now.

Disclaimer: I'm full of shit & should not be taken very seriously

Also I really want a Submariner but they seem small compared to my SKX

#1217 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I don't think 99% of car loans are responsible either. There are exceptions of course. I'm aware that the 1% exception uses a low rate to combat inflation or opportunity risk to find gains to offset the vehicles depreciation but the other 99%, normal folks, just cannot afford the car so they finance it.
Same goes for mortgage interest. If it was that valuable folks would refi to higher rates. IMO unless a person has a multimillion dollar note & a 39.6% marginal bracket with the purchase price of the house invested then they need to pay it off, again this is IMO.
Mortgages & car loans are fine to get "life" started but IMO they are what ruin the middle (class long term). I still have a mortgage, for now.

Guess I am a little confused. If the interest rate on my mortgage is 3.75% but I I'm earning 6-9% on my investments...tell me why I should pay off my mortgage?

Same with cars. In the past I've gotten car loans for as little as 1% interest over 5 years. Doesn't really motivate me to pay it off early.

#1218 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Guess I am a little confused. If the interest rate on my mortgage is 3.75% but I I'm earning 6-9% on my investments...tell me why I should pay off my mortgage?
Same with cars. In the past I've gotten car loans for as little as 1% interest over 5 years. Doesn't really motivate me to pay it off early.

You're not earning 6%-9%

You're leveraging the roof your family lives under for 2%-5% after subtracting the mortgage rate, fees & some taxes. Take the average & its maybe 3.5%? We all have different risk tolerance but 3.5% net is not enough for me. Especially when the S&P is like the highest its ever been since its like ever been lol.

The 1% incentive is understandable if you are the 1% using it as a tool. 99% are not. Inflation washes that one out for you.

I dont chase the highest gain. If I did I'd go balls deep on a HELOC to make short term trades or a fixed mortgage to buy some high yield junk bonds. But that scares me.

Sorry I ruined the thread... but gold Submariners are a trigger for me

#1219 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

You're not earning 6%-9%
You're leveraging the roof your family lives under for 2%-5% after subtracting the mortgage rate, fees & some taxes. Take the average & its maybe 3.5%? We all have different risk tolerance but 3.5% net is not enough for me. Especially when the S&P is like the highest its ever been since its like ever been lol.
The 1% incentive is understandable if you are the 1% using it as a tool. 99% are not. Inflation washes that one out for you.
I dont chase the highest gain. If I did I'd go balls deep on a HELOC to make short term trades or a fixed mortgage to buy some high yield junk bonds. But that scares me.
Sorry I ruined the thread... but gold Submariners are a trigger for me

And risk aversion is the key to most people; the problem is a lot of people don't understand the difference in perceived risk, and end term stake.

I have neighbors who live in 1M+ homes, likely on a greedy mortgage, with a couple Mercedes/Audi/Porsche SUVs in the driveway, but if you look in the house, half the rooms are unfurnished. You can easily see, because the temporary paper blinds they put up 5 years ago when the house was built are still hanging. The cars are leased (not financed) and they struggle to keep up appearance, but that's just it. It's the social facade that people want the outside world to know.

As for watches... Just buy it already... Gold is going to go up in value.

#1220 6 years ago

I want a handful of watches I can't justify spending on, especially since I haven't worn a watch in a couple of years due to work conditions.

#1221 6 years ago

Selling my Ball Garland....

ebay.com link: itm

#1222 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I don't think 99% of car loans are responsible either. There are exceptions of course. I'm aware that the 1% exception uses a low rate to combat inflation or opportunity loss to find gains to offset the vehicles depreciation but the other 99%, normal folks, just cannot afford the car so they finance it.
Mortgages & car loans are fine to get "life" started but IMO they are what ruin the middle class (long term). I still have a mortgage, for now.
Also I really want a Submariner but they seem small compared to my SKX

A 6k sq foot home for sale in Wentzville is 529,900. They will likely grab 500,000. A 2k sq ft appears to be around 230,000.

In a major city like Chicago, that 500k buys the equivalent 2k sq foot home in a decent area. If you wanted a 6k sq foot home in the city/Decent area it's 1 mil to 2mil.

So unless you have the money, its mortgage time or you have to live with your parents and save money. (Who probably still are supporting their children and can't pay off their own mortgage.)

Or become the omega man living in a area to afford a home without a mortgage.

#1223 6 years ago

Taking out a mortgage is just fine. I did.

Keeping one while living high on the hog is not fine.

Meaning folks shouldn't complain about how impossible it is to pay cash for a house while buying a Rolex or some shit.

IMO

#1224 6 years ago

Im in suburbia north of Toronto. A new home now sells on a premium 35' x 88' lot (postage stamp imo) 2500 sq. ft will put you into the 1.5M+ bracket.

Townhouse row homes are pushing the 1M+ mark now. Sucks.

#1225 6 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Im in suburbia north of Toronto. A new home now sells on a premium 35' x 88' lot (postage stamp imo) 2500 sq. ft will put you into the 1.5M+ bracket.
Townhouse row homes are pushing the 1M+ mark now. Sucks.

Yeah but weed & hoes are legal out there so of course its more expensive

Quoted from Monte:

A 6k sq foot home for sale in Wentzville is 529,900. They will likely grab 500,000. A 2k sq ft appears to be around 230,000.
In a major city like Chicago, that 500k buys the equivalent 2k sq foot home in a decent area. If you wanted a 6k sq foot home in the city/Decent area it's 1 mil to 2mil.
So unless you have the money, its mortgage time or you have to live with your parents and save money. (Who probably still are supporting their children and can't pay off their own mortgage.)
Or become the omega man living in a area to afford a home without a mortgage.

Move to the Suburbs like those of us in Wentzville

There are far more gentrified expensive status pockets of St Louis compared to Wentzville but I refuse to live in those inflated areas because I really like money & square footage.

#1226 6 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

People trash Invicta for some of their ridiculous designs and inflated MSRPs but at the end of the day, they're a pretty decent value.
-Doug

Agreed. I looked at buying one of those Invicta submariner homage watches. I see they come both in a quartz and automatic version. Not bad for the cost. Worth a look for sure.

#1227 6 years ago

Well I've beat a dead horse long enough. My apologies.

So... any opinions on Marathon?

(Not my pic. If I had that watch & those titties I would not be on Pinside)

https://www.marathonwatch.com/product/search-rescue-jumbo-bilingual-divers-automatic-with-day-date-jdd/

IMG_0204 (resized).JPGIMG_0204 (resized).JPG

#1228 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

(Not my pic. If I had that watch & those titties I would not be on Pinside)

Ahh,, Come on! Yes you would, just a lot less.

#1229 6 years ago

Marathon makes some excellent and very rugged tool watches. I like the tritium markers as well. Never need a charge from a light source. But...need to be replaced...in twenty years or so.

#1230 6 years ago

Do you guys do your own batteries? I have a Movado that I think needs a battery. The second hand only moves in 5 second increments. I'm guessing you would pay a repair shop to do something really high end, but the Movado was only a few hundred.

#1231 6 years ago

It's not really hard to do a battery change if you have the correct tools. Don't even consider a plyers and screwdriver repair. For show watches of average value I would do it no question with many videos online to guide you. For high end Omega, Rolex, etc that are pressure tested and gasket sealed it would be wise to just bring it in. Most times it would be a good opportunity to get it calibrated and have all the rings changed for a lifetime of ownership. Just my view experience with my Other collection habit other than pinball!

#1232 6 years ago

I only have a couple watches that have a battery...but yes I change them. Change them for my wife and son also. Just need the right tool.

MANY (even dive watches) can be opened with this simple (and excellent) tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058EDAUA

Friction Ball! leaves no marks! Just make sure the ball is fully inflated...works so much better that way.

#1233 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I only have a couple watches that have a battery...but yes I change them. Change them for my wife and son also. Just need the right tool.
MANY (even dive watches) can be opened with this simple (and excellent) tool: amazon.com link »
Friction Ball! leaves no marks!

That's super cool! Do you think you can pop the back off a Rolex sub with that?

#1234 6 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

That's super cool! Do you think you can pop the back off a Rolex sub with that?

Probably. I have found that if (a water resistant) watch is particularly difficult that running the back under hot water for a couple minutes and then applying ice, works really well. I had a 1000m dive watch where the back had clearly been put on by a 400lb gorilla. The above technique worked for that watch.

#1235 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Probably. I have found that if (a water resistant) watch is particularly difficult that running the back under hot water for a couple minutes and then applying ice, works really well. I had a 1000m dive watch where the back had clearly been put on by a 400lb gorilla. The above technique worked for that watch.

Cool, thanks!

#1236 6 years ago

This one appears to be held on with 4 screws, so it should be a pretty easy change. I'm hoping that's why the second hand jumps 5 seconds at a time and there isn't something wrong with the movement.

#1237 6 years ago

Yes. Just bring it to the Mall. They change the battery in 5 minutes and give you a 5 year guarantee...

#1238 6 years ago

Anyone got any recommendations on where in the philadelphia, pa area I can get a rolex datejust fixed? The crown won't stay screwed down. Maybe it's stripped?
The local dealers want to send it to rolex where the minimum service charge is around $800. I was just about to jump in the ocean with it on when I noticed the crown was popped up. I have been swimiming with it all week until now. Lucky I saw it in time!
Also in the market for a ss submariner gently used, if anyone has one for sale.

#1239 6 years ago

Is it true the annual maitenance costs of a Rolex are apx $1K?

#1240 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I don't even own a Rolex and I'm going to say a big NO.

#1241 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

No. The only thing is that it is expensive. I would say that every factory serviced Rolex gets the full treatment. Look it up on their web site. Every part is cleaned and tested, repaired or replaced. The case and the metal bands are polished and or brush finished like it left the factory. A factory service will include a water test, a performance testing with a certificate, and a 2 year warranty on repairs.

If you have a vintage Rolex they will ask if you want the face/dial replaced with a new current one. Not the best idea as the vintage look is what most collectors want. My Dads 1960's Explorer kept working until 1981, when it finally needed a service to keep it running. It really depends on usage.

#1242 6 years ago

Ah, weird.

I've heard from more than one person there's a reccomended annual "cleaning" that's quite costly.

Good to know. Thanks.

#1243 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I don't even own a Rolex and I'm going to say a big NO.

Only if you do it annually!

That's what Rolex recommends. But in reality, under normal conditions, there's no real reason to have itserviced that often (other than to the line Rolex's pockets)

#1244 6 years ago

Got my first Ball in the mail yesterday. Funny thing is that It's been so long that it looks different than what I remember buying I definitely neglected to notice that the 44mm had the cut off numbers at the bottom. Not sure if I like or not. Oh well, not crazy expensive even if I end up not falling in love with it. Now back to pinball threads so I don't buy another watch...

IMG_8954 (resized).JPGIMG_8954 (resized).JPG

#1245 6 years ago

I was told by several rolex dealers that to fix my crown issue, they would have to send it to rolex. They said it would undergo a basic service program and cleaning and this service would cost $800. They also said the crown repair might or might not be extra. Service time would be 8 weeks or more.
I am planning on getting a quote from National watch at 8th and chestnut in phila this week.

#1246 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Ah, weird.
I've heard from more than one person there's a reccomended annual "cleaning" that's quite costly.
Good to know. Thanks.

What's "recommended" vs what's "needed" are light years apart.

Honestly you could probably go a decade with no service and then send it in for an annual service; pay the same price and get the watch back looking like new.

#1247 6 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I was told by several rolex dealers that to fix my crown issue, they would have to send it to rolex. They said it would undergo a basic service program and cleaning and this service would cost $800. They also said the crown repair might or might not be extra. Service time would be 8 weeks or more.
I am planning on getting a quote from National watch at 8th and chestnut in phila this week.

From what I have read or heard, Rolex collectors, like Ferrari collectors, want to see evidence of factory service before they will pay a high price for a watch. If you use an authorized Rolex retailer, they should take care of everything for you. Shipping the watch to the service center, contacting you with an estimate, and an expected return date. For you the closest service center, I would guess will be New York City.

967a56f0b37a470b212aaff94eee6a0684f0da9a (resized).jpg967a56f0b37a470b212aaff94eee6a0684f0da9a (resized).jpg

Here is my Dads, this was a taken a few years ago, it was just back from being serviced. To me, it was worth it.

#1248 6 years ago

The local Authorized Rolex Retailer here has a large watch store with a separate room just for Rolex.

Here is the only thing that had me thinking, hmmm. The man that was helping me, offered to buy my watch for himself. I explained that it had a lot of sentimental attachment and it was not for sale. Upon returning to the store 7 weeks later I had asked the lady that was helping me. 'Where was this guy?', She said, "He doesn't work here any more". It is possible that some one was rubbed the wrong way by him, and he was let go.

#1249 6 years ago

My newest....
Omega Planet Ocean 8900. Just stopped at the local Omega store and had it sized.

Loving this thing....

Just need to get rid of one of the others I own. spfxted this is all your fault....!

20170708_143719 (resized).jpg20170708_143719 (resized).jpg

20170708_143712 (resized).jpg20170708_143712 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 65.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 300.00
$ 210.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 34.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

There are 2,916 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballand-watches/page/25?hl=mr-hodes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.