20240328_132611 (resized).jpg
20240328_133155 (resized).jpg
20240328_132004 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_125215854 (resized).jpg
584B2BD0-71AB-4AFA-885B-9BBA9C938FB8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3801 (resized).JPG
IMG_3803 (resized).JPG
66DA93E6-9AFB-49D2-8E7F-3808007DCBEA (resized).jpeg
There are 2,916 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 59.
#1151 7 years ago

I sometimes find myself checking out a watch that someone is wearing in a movie or ad. Recently I was rewatching National Treasure staring Nicolas Cage when I rewound and then paused it to get a better look at the watch he was wearing. It only appeared briefly. Of course, it was an iconic Rolex Submariner with date. Later in the movie it was confirmed when he used it as collateral mentioning it as a Submariner, as I recall, to examine something in the gift shop.
Come to think of it I do a similar thing when I see a pinball machine in a movie as well.

#1152 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Eleven years and counting since I owned a watch.

I find that watches, much like pinball machines, are a personal choice. I've seen a guy online that wears a watch on both wrists at the same time. For me, that is a little overkill, but to each their own.

#1153 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

If you appreciate mechanical art, you're missing out.

#1154 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Thanks for stopping by.

So far I have not found anything that can adequately replace a watch. Certainly not a cell phone that you have to pull out in order to see the time.

#1155 7 years ago

I thought I would follow up on the watch from my cousin.

His dad's watch, he asked me to keep it. He said his father meant for me to have it. He also had about six of his fathers watches, since his father was a watch collector, in the 70s. I'm glad I get to keep it, but I would have insisted on him getting the watch, if he had not already had the other six.

#1156 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Thanks for stopping by.
So far I have not found anything that can adequately replace a watch. Certainly not a cell phone that you have to pull out in order to see the time.

The problem is you pull out your phone and then end up texting or doing email, not just checking the time. I love the beauty and craftsmanship that goes into a nice mechanical watch.

I used to have a lot, but I've shrunk down my collection to only the ones I wear on a regular basis and sold off all the others.

Next one will be a Omega Moonphase. If I hadn't just ordered Alien I would have bought it already!

1 week later
#1157 7 years ago

Just picked this up. IWC Aquatimer.

IMG_8598 (resized).JPGIMG_8598 (resized).JPG

#1158 7 years ago

Nice!

Anyone seen the new MontBlanc smart watch? Looks pretty nice... i'm going to go check one out when my dealer gets theirs.. It's at least worth a look-see

#1159 7 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Nice!
Anyone seen the new MontBlanc smart watch? Looks pretty nice... i'm going to go check one out when my dealer gets theirs.. It's at least worth a look-see

Send a report!

3 weeks later
#1160 6 years ago

Cartier XL Chrono Roadster for the win!

IMG_2932 (resized).JPGIMG_2932 (resized).JPG

#1161 6 years ago

Cool retro looking dial.

Reminds me alot of a Richard Mille due to the case shape.

Nice!

#1162 6 years ago

Get a load of this pinball "wristpiece" that was recently released.

http://quillandpad.com/2017/05/07/pinball-wizards-get-flippers-hautlence-playground-pinball/

It apparently doesn't tell the time and that is why it's a "wristpiece" instead of a "timepiece". Who cares...it's a frickin pinball machine on your wrist!

IMG_2219 (resized).JPGIMG_2219 (resized).JPG

#1163 6 years ago

How much??
$30,000???

#1164 6 years ago

Christophe Claret had a pinball watch in 2013

#1165 6 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Just picked this up. IWC Aquatimer.

Rarely can you go wrong with a watch brand as well respected as IWC.

Congrats.

#1166 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

How much??
$30,000???

I'm not sure. But the price is not listed, so it might be expensive. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Overlooked the price on the website...Over $41,000 AUD...ouch!

#1167 6 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Christophe Claret had a pinball watch in 2013
» YouTube video

The Christophe Claret watch doesn't look playable. More of a pinball inspired timepiece. The Hautlence wristpiece is playable and doesn't tell the time.

#1168 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

I'm not sure. But the price is not listed, so it might be expensive. I'll look into it.

30,000 Swiss Francs according to the Web site. Which in todays US Dollar would be $30,800.00 some odd.

#1170 6 years ago

Interesting post there Ted. If I ever see my boss wearing a $300,000 watch. I'll be asking for a raise!

#1171 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

30,000 Swiss Francs according to the Web site. Which in todays US Dollar would be $30,800.00 some odd.

If only I had that much money to burn.

#1172 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

» YouTube video

Just amazing pieces of engineering.

#1173 6 years ago

It has arrived - The BALL Engineer III Bronze Star:
20170530_153711 (resized).jpg20170530_153711 (resized).jpg
20170530_153642 (resized).jpg20170530_153642 (resized).jpg20170530_153845 (resized).jpg20170530_153845 (resized).jpg20170530_153810 (resized).jpg20170530_153810 (resized).jpg20170530_153333 (resized).jpg20170530_153333 (resized).jpg

#1175 6 years ago

Very nice.

#1176 6 years ago

That is nice looking!

2 weeks later
#1177 6 years ago

I'm looking to move my Omega Seamaster 2531.80 automatic. Anyone interested in this for $1900?

20170617_182543 (resized).jpg20170617_182543 (resized).jpg

#1178 6 years ago

My Hamilton Beldon CLD listed on Ebay!
ebay.com link: itm
Hamilton
Face Color: Silver
Model: BELDON
Case Composition: 10K Gold Filled
Movement: Mechanical (Hand-winding)
Watch Shape: Rectangle
Lug Width: 16mm
8/0 sized, 17 jewel 747 movement.
Made 1951-1959
The case is a two piece design where the movement
is contained in the case back and is
accessed by removing the front bezel.
It has a two-piece stem to allow the
movement to be pulled out the front.
The dial is sterling silver with a two
tone white-butler finished pattern with
18K solid gold numerals.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

Added over 7 years ago: SOLD!

#1179 6 years ago

I have a Bunn Special Rail Road pocket watch that my dad gave me. Pretty neat. Also a few other old pocket watches but nothing modern. Just use my cell phone or ask someone. I don't usually care what time it is anyway.

#1181 6 years ago

Damn, I love those conversion watches!

#1183 6 years ago

Why does a solid gold submariner even exist?

I mean cmon no one dives with that shit.

It's like a fake Rolex that's real lol

#1184 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I bet 98% of all Submariners never see the water.

#1185 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Quite a few of the Comex have seen water, but they are few and far between.

#1186 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Bill Cosby did, different type of diving though

235F4D5800000578-2853203-image-1_1417192231848 (resized).jpg235F4D5800000578-2853203-image-1_1417192231848 (resized).jpg

#1187 6 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Bill Cosby did, different type of diving though

Guess he's got in the 2%...

#1188 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Agreed.

That means the watch is authentic but the owner is fake.

The hypothetical gold sub owner bought the watch for his "avatar". You know, the thin veneer he projects via conspicuous consumption. His motives were fake & his usage of the watch is fake. A person does not buy a Rolex on accident. They made a choice to buy into the hype & show it to the world.

But... I have to say a stainless sub is a divers watch. Nothing can take that away from it. Not even a poser who keeps his sub in a dry winder box.

But when you make a sub out of gold... it is no longer a divers watch.

Suddenly this "genuine" rolex is 200% fake.

It's fake because it never sees the ocean. Then it's fake again because it's made from gold for fucks sake lol.

I have more respect for a seiko in the water. Sheeyat I have more respect for a straight up faux Rolex in the water. As long as the owner says "it's fake" & swims with it.

Every time I think about buying a Rolex I always remind myself that urge is just the pompous prick in me trying to prove something. Anyone who says they appreciate the history of a watch then buys one NIB is full of shit. They can read a book if they like history

But.. that deep sea dweller is sweet lol. Grrrrrr I must resist. Or buy a fake to get it out of my system.

Anyone ever read "The Millionaire Next door"? It ain't the 1% buying this shit. It's more often than not the folks with a disproportionately low net worth compared to their high W2 & years worked (UAW, AAW, PAW).

Anyway I have a few Seikos & might still get a sub lol

#1189 6 years ago

Got the DeepSea on today. And, yes... its been in the water!

IMG_9193 (resized).JPGIMG_9193 (resized).JPG

#1190 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Anyone ever read "The Millionaire Next door"? It ain't the 1% buying this shit. It's more often than not the folks with a disproportionately low net worth compared to their high W2 & years worked (UAW, AAW, PAW).
Anyway I have a few Seikos & might still get a sub lol

I agree to an extent.

It is the same with the dopey women carrying the hideous bags with LV stamped all over them when they can't scrape together bus fare.

#1191 6 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Nice

If only it had more numbers, letters & words on it

I would not be able to choose between the classic black vs the blue one you have. Purdy sweet.

Ironically that watch is nicknamed the Avatar lol

#1192 6 years ago

Maybe posted already but I love the Romain Jerome watches. Just need like 18 grand.

IMG_0232 (resized).JPGIMG_0232 (resized).JPG

IMG_0233 (resized).JPGIMG_0233 (resized).JPG

IMG_0234 (resized).JPGIMG_0234 (resized).JPG

IMG_0235 (resized).JPGIMG_0235 (resized).JPG

IMG_0236 (resized).JPGIMG_0236 (resized).JPG

IMG_0237 (resized).JPGIMG_0237 (resized).JPG

#1193 6 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Mine has been diving in the ocean also,and will be many more times. Thats one of the reasons I purchased it.

#1194 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Sheeyat I have more respect for a straight up faux Rolex in the water. As long as the owner says "it's fake" & swims with it.

I agree with a lot you have said...but not this. Fakes are never okay. That's 1000x bigger poser than the gold Rolex dude. While a gold Rolex is probably a little ostentatious for most...there are probably some business worlds it fits into. If you have the spare cash it's probably not a bad place to park it either (much like pinball machines).

Quoted from PW79:

Anyone who says they appreciate the history of a watch then buys one NIB is full of shit. They can read a book if they like history

Also disagree with this. History is a great reason to buy...well just about anything. History is a major reason I bought an Omega Speedmaster (Moon Watch) with the original hesalite crystal and all. I love it's history. That and it's iconic looks drew me to it over other watches.

You can't see someone who loves the history of Ford Mustangs buying a brand new GT350? I sure can...and I wouldn't blame them.

I agree it's not a good idea to get caught up in "keeping up with the Jones's". But if you do have the spare cash, buy what you like. At least your keeping the economy flowing.

#1195 6 years ago

My beloved Panerai pam297. Just served this baby it's like brand new.I will probably never part with this watch only made 500 and stainless bracelet clad Panerais are becoming very hard to come by.

Enlight22 (resized).jpgEnlight22 (resized).jpg

#1196 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I agree with a lot you have said...but not this. Fakes are never okay

Spending (insert silly amount of money) on a watch IMO is never okay.

So I guess we agree & disagree. Not that it matters. We aren't solving the worlds problems talking watches on a pinball forum anyway lol.

I think authentic watches are still fake. I think the demand is fake (created by the manufacturers) & I think the price is fake (created by the manufacturers).

Then again I think anyone with a mortgage that has the balls to call themselves a "homeowner" is fake too. That's not home ownership, that's an elaborate rental agreement.. But plenty disagree with me there too.

Fake watches, to me at least, really make it clear the whole Rolex & other high end watch game is just completely absurd.

But I still want one. I just wish I was unaware the desire for a Rolex is because I'm a shallow consumer.

Feels like we're having the ol VE style MM vs MMR & AFM vs AFMr convo right now

Anyway man we aren't going to convince each other to see it differently than we already do so I hope you did not take offense to my comments.

I just dont believe you're buying watches. I think youre buying an image.

#1197 6 years ago

NO offense taken at all...I love to debate, which is why I love Pinside so much

Quoted from PW79:

I just dont believe you're buying watches. I think youre buying an image.

I'm pretty sure I'm buying watches Not one person ever (ever) has noticed that I'm wearing an Omega or any other brand of watch. In fact the only compliment I can ever recall getting was on a $100 Seiko diver. I don't buy and wear watches so other people notice...I like them. I like how they look, how they function and I love the complicated mechanical movements.

#1198 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Fake watches, to me at least, really make it clear the whole Rolex & other high end watch game is just completely absurd.

How so? The fact that Rolex are so desired and expensive that fakes exist? That just seems obvious. Or is that you can buy a cheap fake and not have to spend the big bucks for the real thing? If the latter...well fakes are cheap pieces of crap that won't last (or even work) like the real thing. Yes you can buy some more expensive fakes (for $1k plus) and get a decent watch...but at that point why bother (unless you are a douchebag). You can buy some really nice (not fake) mechanical watches for $300-1k.

I caught one of my brother-in-laws (barely knew him really) wearing a fake Rolex and I said to him "I sure hope you didn't pay a lot for that". He kind of looked at me funny and I said "it's a fake". "How do you know?" he asked..."becasue it's ticking".

#1199 6 years ago

Invicta Pro Diver watch. My first Invicta. Not perfect, but very affordable.

IMG_0129 (resized).JPGIMG_0129 (resized).JPG

#1200 6 years ago

Here's another recent purchase. My first Fossil watch. Uses the same Seiko quartz movement as my Invicta Pro Dive watch.

IMG_0133 (resized).JPGIMG_0133 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 300.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,916 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballand-watches/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.