20240328_132611 (resized).jpg
20240328_133155 (resized).jpg
20240328_132004 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_125215854 (resized).jpg
584B2BD0-71AB-4AFA-885B-9BBA9C938FB8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3801 (resized).JPG
IMG_3803 (resized).JPG
66DA93E6-9AFB-49D2-8E7F-3808007DCBEA (resized).jpeg
There are 2,916 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 59.
#1051 7 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

My first "real" watch...but maybe time to part with it already....
Very recently picked this up. It's pretty darn close to brand new. Story is that it was a demo model at a jeweler.
Couldn't find even a scratch anywhere on it! Had it sized yesterday so I could actually wear it, and, go figure, I'm not crazy about it. I feel like it's too small for my wrist.
So it may go back up for sale and I may hunt for a nice Omega
If anyone is interested in this fella just let me know while I ponder its' fate.

I'll give you a couple hundred bucks for it.

#1052 7 years ago

You're only off by $1K!

#1054 7 years ago

I was considering letting some of my watches go on here (not a member on the other forums).

Really have no idea though.

#1055 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I was considering letting some of my watches go on here (not a member on the other forums).
Really have no idea though.

You can always post them up. Best bet though is a major watch forum or the ol' bay.

#1056 7 years ago

id love to see a few watches for sale on this thread

#1057 7 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

If anyone is interested in this fella just let me know

There is a Tag for sale....

#1058 7 years ago

This came back from the watchmaker...

IMG_1335 (resized).JPGIMG_1335 (resized).JPG

#1060 7 years ago

That looks pretty sweet. Why does $279 sound really cheap?

Never heard of the brand. Curious what you guys think.

#1061 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

That looks pretty sweet. Why does $279 sound really cheap?
Never heard of the brand. Curious what you guys think.

It looks like you would get what you paid for.....when/if it shows up. Chinese made with a cheap Japanese movement and a mineral crystal (sapphire coated for whatever that means). 44mm but looks like it wears even bigger.

#1062 7 years ago

I started out in watches, mostly old Pocket watches as a hobby. I collected, parts tools, anything related and repaired them for years as a hobby. Some wrist watches too. I lost all interest in the past couple of years and started looking for pinball machines to work on. I've had just about all of the older brands at one time or another. Everything from Elgin to Patek. Most of them I owned long enough to clean repair and flip them. Something cool about holding mechanical history!! How they were able to make something so accurate all mechanically is truly amazing!! Even some of the watches from the 1600's are crazy to look at and think about! They made all of those parts by hand! Some of the complicated wrist and pocket watches are engineering masterpieces!! There isn't much that compares to the work and thought that went into some of that stuff!

Some great watches in the thread! I like the Ball. I was mostly into the older stuff and most of the Ball's I had were from Cleveland Ohio. I never had any of the newer models...Great watches!!

#1063 7 years ago
Quoted from Joker2415:

I was mostly into the older stuff and most of the Ball's I had were from Cleveland Ohio. I never had any of the newer models...Great watches!!

Yes, I love my 50's Ball Power Reserve watch!

#1064 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes, I love my 50's Ball Power Reserve watch!

Your Hamilton above is a nice looking watch too! I was just looking for stuff to throw on ebay to help fund pinball and one of the books I ran across was for repairing the Hamilton Electrics. I haven't made up my mind yet to throw it on. I have a sick kind of attachment to some of this stuff even though I probably haven't seen the book in years.

You guys would cry (at least I do, thinking about what I did to that watch )if you saw what I did to a Seamaster..At one time I wanted to learn how to skeletonize a watch. I did a few pocket watches and they came out really good. My next step was an Omega Seamaster, I chose that because of the color of the movement, The older watches had a brassy looking movement, I drilled, carved, and started finishing all the plates and the rotor. Never finished it!The time it takes to make it look good is crazy, Working on one little part for days,and days,Trying to get it looking just right and not look like someone "just carved it".... Perfectly good collectable watch? All carved up in a box somewhere around here....Maybe I'll get the ambition to finish it one day.... I'm just too hyper anymore to sit in one spot for hour and hours looking at parts I can barely see..

#1065 7 years ago

The Hamiltons are great and make up a good part of my collection.

IMG_1342 (resized).JPGIMG_1342 (resized).JPG

#1066 7 years ago

junk, you would be better off with the invicta brand if you don't mind chinese movements, with invicta you could ship it back if you don't like it.

#1067 7 years ago

So I've been wearing the Ginault Ocean Rover for 7 days straight now (wound it once) and it has settled in at +5.5 seconds/day. Which is chronometer accuracy. I've been impressed with the overall quality of this one....might even sell of a couple other off my Sub homages and just hang on to this one.

#1068 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It looks like you would get what you paid for.....when/if it shows up. Chinese made with a cheap Japanese movement and a mineral crystal (sapphire coated for whatever that means). 44mm but looks like it wears even bigger.

Thanks for that. Kinda what I figured.

#1069 7 years ago

finally picked up an old Seamaster!

ProShot_20170208_161758 (resized).jpgProShot_20170208_161758 (resized).jpg

#1071 7 years ago

Just arrived!

20170210_162844 (resized).jpg20170210_162844 (resized).jpg

#1072 7 years ago

one of my Moonwatch Collection

IMG_1299 2 (resized).jpgIMG_1299 2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1074 7 years ago

I have the good fortune that I know someone in the watchmaking industry. Here's an upclose shot, photo from a San Francisco watch repair company

Zenith_timepiece_balance_regulation_and_adjustment gt (resized).JPGZenith_timepiece_balance_regulation_and_adjustment gt (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1075 7 years ago

What do you guys think? I have been thinking about picking up a Rolex Sea Dweller, but am not sure the best place to purchase. Anybody here have one they are looking to get rid of? Any ideas where the best price would be? Any help would be nice.

#1076 7 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

What do you guys think? I have been thinking about picking up a Rolex Sea Dweller, but am not sure the best place to purchase. Anybody here have one they are looking to get rid of? Any ideas where the best price would be? Any help would be nice.

Great watch, I have a Deepsea. Here's a good place to start http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=sea+dweller&sort_column=Price&sort_dir=asc&brand=rolex

#1077 7 years ago

Thank you Toucanf16, I will check that out.

#1078 7 years ago

Yeah watchrecon is a great place to find used watches. For the Sea Dweller you're looking at the low end being $5-6k for a one in good condition. Just make sure you vet the seller......as they say "buy the seller not the watch".

#1079 7 years ago

Just picked up another Ball Garland. Now it goes to the watchmaker for new crystal and service…..

s-l1600-5 (resized).jpgs-l1600-5 (resized).jpg

s-l1600-6 (resized).jpgs-l1600-6 (resized).jpg

#1080 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Yeah watchrecon is a great place to find used watches. For the Sea Dweller you're looking at the low end being $5-6k for a one in good condition. Just make sure you vet the seller......as they say "buy the seller not the watch".

+1
There are lots of Sea Dweller knock-offs out there. Some are very good. So good, in fact, you have to remove the case back to really ensure you have a legit Rolox. Knowing the seller is key!

#1081 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

+1
There are lots of Sea Dweller knock-offs out there. Some are very good. So good, in fact, you have to remove the case back to really ensure you have a legit Rolox. Knowing the seller is key!

I have seen some really good knock-offs out there. With that being said I am considering just going to a Rolex dealer and dumping the 12K on a new one instead of searching thru the thousands of knock-offs.

#1082 7 years ago

My ghetto watches.
The most I payed for one was $60.
I haven't worn them in months and most of the batteries are dead.
I can appreciate a nice watch but don't own any yet.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#1083 7 years ago

I have seen some really good knock-offs out there. With that being said I am considering just going to a Rolex dealer and dumping the 12K on a new one instead of searching thru the thousands of knock-offs.

Don't go to the dealer just yet. Check out Bob's Watches. They've been around awhile and have a great rep.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-sea-dweller-1.html

#1084 7 years ago
#1085 7 years ago

I'm back in....Quite happy with this so far.
Nice Aqua Terra >15,000 Gauss.

IMG_20170310_081335 (resized).jpgIMG_20170310_081335 (resized).jpg

#1086 7 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I'm back in....Quite happy with this so far.
Nice Aqua Terra >15,000 Gauss.

Nice! One of my favorites.

#1087 7 years ago

Ok interestingly enough...

I want to get a watch. I have a budget under a grand or so. I love watches but I only want 1.

What watch should I get? I would like something I can wear with anything. I don't wear suits. I also don't mind switching out the watch in a year or so. Or if it's perfect that is great too!

I would like to hear opinions on the one you would or did pick. Thanks.

#1088 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Ok interestingly enough...
I want to get a watch. I have a budget under a grand or so. I love watches but I only want 1.
What watch should I get? I would like something I can wear with anything. I don't wear suits. I also don't mind switching out the watch in a year or so. Or if it's perfect that is great too!
I would like to hear opinions on the one you would or did pick. Thanks.

Nothing new.

I would look for a late 90's Omega Dynamic with arabic numerals on bracelet or strap.

#1089 7 years ago

I am not a Watch Collector but I do have one watch which is a Family Heirloom. My Grandfather gave this to me when I graduated college 20 years ago. In his typical style he saw I was not wearing a watch and said here is one for you to wear. Then he gave me the back story that he bought it in Switzerland back in the Early Sixties when he picked up his Son (My Father) from Germany when my Dad was getting out of the military. I knew it must be a special watch so I have kept it as a family heirloom rather than wearing it. It is an Omega Seamaster. About a year ago I pulled it out and tried to find it online to see if I could find the details on it but could not find one exactly like it. Anyone of you watch collectors know the exact model? FYI if I wind it, it does still work. The back just says Seamaster and Waterproof...I added my Pinball clock as the background LOL...
Watch (resized).jpgWatch (resized).jpg

#1090 7 years ago

???

There are so many great quality watches under 1K I can't even begin to list them all. Honestly ( and I've been in this hobby a long time) there are only a few reasons to spend over 1K:
1) For the "cachet" of wearing a known name brand.
2) For the history of a particular watch or brand.
3) You simply fall in love with the aesthetics of a particular watch and can't find a sub 1K version and don't mind spending the extra.

Now I'm not saying any of those are bad reasons. One and Two and Three are why I bought an OMEGA Speedmaster "Moon Watch".

You can get the quality of a 10k watch for 1k. You just can't get the recognition or possibly the ability for the watch to hold its value. (Note only Rolex and certain Omega's hold their value well.....everything else you are rolling the dice on that one).

So what can you get for 1K.....just about anything. You can get an "In-House" automatic movement. You can get great fit and finish & style. You can get a sapphire crystal with AR coatings. You can get high quality stainless steel case and bracelet. You can get a ceramic bezel......and so on.

In my mind it's tough to beat Seiko at almost any price point....."bang for buck".

#1091 7 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I am not a Watch Collector but I do have one watch which is a Family Heirloom. My Grandfather gave this to me when I graduated college 20 years ago. In his typical style he saw I was not wearing a watch and said here is one for you to wear. Then he gave me the back story that he bought it in Switzerland back in the Early Sixties when he picked up his Son (My Father) from Germany when my Dad was getting out of the military. I knew it must be a special watch so I have kept it as a family heirloom rather than wearing it. It is an Omega Seamaster. About a year ago I pulled it out and tried to find it online to see if I could find the details on it but could not find one exactly like it. Anyone of you watch collectors know the exact model? FYI if I wind it, it does still work. The back just says Seamaster and Waterproof...I added my Pinball clock as the background LOL...

They made that model throughout the 60's so no way to know the exact year without cracking it open. I can tell you this much:

Manual movement, caliber 321, 17 jewels.

#1092 7 years ago

So I just picked up one of these:

20170310_142111.jpg20170310_142111.jpg

I'm going to start regulating my own watches.

#1093 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

They made that model throughout the 60's so no way to know the exact year without cracking it open. I can tell you this much:
Manual movement, caliber 321, 17 jewels.

Thanks mine only has a numerical marking at the "12" most of the ones I saw that were similar had the numerical markings at the Quarter of every hour (3, 6, 9, 12).

FYI I have no idea what "Manual movement, caliber 321, 17 jewels." means but it sounds like when I am explaining WPC repair logs to my wife who just nods her head....

#1094 7 years ago

Thanks mine only has a numerical marking at the "12" most of the ones I saw that were similar had the numerical markings at the Quarter of every hour (3, 6, 9, 12).
FYI I have no idea what "Manual movement, caliber 321, 17 jewels." means but it sounds like when I am explaining WPC repair logs to my wife who just nods her head....

Ha Ha...so manual wind means the watch has a mechanical movement (gears, wheels and a spring....no battery), but it's not an "automatic" (no rotor to automatically wind the spring just by wearing it). So you have to manually wind the watch with the crown (usually once a day) to keep it going.

Caliber 321 is just the name of that movement by OMEGA. Interesting side note that is that same movement that was used in the OMEGA Speedmaster that was worn on the first moon landing.

#1095 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

???
You can get the quality of a 10k watch for 1k. You just can't get the recognition or possibly the ability for the watch to hold its value. (Note only Rolex and certain Omega's hold their value well.....everything else you are rolling the dice on that one).
So what can you get for 1K.....just about anything. You can get an "In-House" automatic movement. You can get great fit and finish & style. You can get a sapphire crystal with AR coatings. You can get high quality stainless steel case and bracelet. You can get a ceramic bezel......and so on.
In my mind it's tough to beat Seiko at almost any price point....."bang for buck".

Which 1K steel watch matches the overall quality of a 10K steel watch from JLC or Rolex? Is there anything at 1K which matches the finish of JLC's Caliber 925?

Aside from some of the least desirable Calatrava models, Patek seem to hold its value pretty well, no? It is tough to lose money on a steel Aquanaut.

I am with you on Seiko 100%.

#1096 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Ha Ha...so manual wind means the watch has a mechanical movement (gears, wheels and a spring....no battery), but it's not an "automatic" (no rotor to automatically wind the spring just by wearing it). So you have to manually wind the watch with the crown (usually once a day) to keep it going.
Caliber 321 is just the name of that movement by OMEGA. Interesting side note that is that same movement that was used in the OMEGA Speedmaster that was worn on the first moon landing.

Thank you for these details even though they may seem basic to you its more than I know about my own watch and I just shared it with my family. My 14 year old now wants to inherit it LOL!

#1097 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So I just picked up one of these:

I'm going to start regulating my own watches.

That's a good machine Astropin - I have an older version I bought from Ofrei about seven years ago - its still going strong. If you are ware working on ETA 28xx series based movements (or the SW versions) - like in that new Alpina, you might want to also pick up the ETA Chron Regulator Adjusting Tool (available from Ofrei). This will allow you to accurately adjust the hair spring and regulator pins with the movement fully assembled an in the watch- a necessary step for the watch to keep consistent rate in multiple positions.

#1098 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Which 1K steel watch matches the overall quality of a 10K steel watch from JLC or Rolex? Is there anything at 1K which matches the finish of JLC's Caliber 925?
Aside from some of the least desirable Calatrava models, Patek seem to hold its value pretty well, no? It is tough to lose money on a steel Aquanaut.
I am with you on Seiko 100%.

Well we can get into a huge discussion on what exactly is meant by "quality". Yes the JLC's and Rolex will be more highly decorated movements; will be far more aesthetically pleasing and retain a higher value over time. But you can certainly get an automatic movement that will "function" just as well and for just as long in a 1K watch.

This brings me back to the audio world where your begin to pay monstrous premiums for tiny incremental (often theoretical) improvements. Again....not that there is anything wrong with that.

All I was trying to say is that for 1k you can get a really nice mechanical watch that will last you a lifetime (if you do your part).

#1099 7 years ago
Quoted from RoboLaw:

That's a good machine Astropin - I have an older version I bought from Ofrei about seven years ago - its still going strong. If you are ware working on ETA 28xx series based movements (or the SW versions) - like in that new Alpina, you might want to also pick up the ETA Chron Regulator Adjusting Tool (available from Ofrei). This will allow you to accurately adjust the hair spring and regulator pins with the movement fully assembled an in the watch- a necessary step for the watch to keep consistent rate in multiple positions.

Hey thanks! Very helpful information since I am just getting started down this path. Watching "how to's on YouTube.

#1100 7 years ago

Thank you for these details even though they may seem basic to you its more than I know about my own watch and I just shared it with my family. My 14 year old now wants to inherit it LOL!

It was the history of the Speedmaster that led me to buying one....that and I think it's a timeless design.

Omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-4 (resized).jpgOmega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-4 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 34.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Trade
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,916 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballand-watches/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.