20240328_132611 (resized).jpg
20240328_133155 (resized).jpg
20240328_132004 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240326_125215854 (resized).jpg
584B2BD0-71AB-4AFA-885B-9BBA9C938FB8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3801 (resized).JPG
IMG_3803 (resized).JPG
66DA93E6-9AFB-49D2-8E7F-3808007DCBEA (resized).jpeg
There are 2,916 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 59.
#1001 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

SevenFriday V Series with Leatherman bracelet.

You should just call that "Beast Mode"

#1002 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

SevenFriday V Series with Leatherman bracelet.

I like what seven Friday has been doing, but not hot on that bracelet.

As long as you like it though

#1003 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

mike_j , you got one reserved? Good on-ya!

Yes, I work with an Omega dealer in NJ and he was kind of enough to give me the heads up on its release.

It'll go nice with my small collection of coaxials.

#1004 7 years ago

Nerdy yes....but pretty damn cool if you own a lot of mechanicals!

http://www.lepsi.ch/watch-scope/

AppB-1 (resized).pngAppB-1 (resized).png

#1005 7 years ago

20170117_081450 (resized).jpg20170117_081450 (resized).jpg

#1006 7 years ago

So I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to purchasing watches. Is buying a watch on ebay akin to buying a pin on Ebay? I understand that nobody wants to give up their honey hole, but where would one go to find a fair/decent/great deal on a watch? For example I see an Omega Speedmaster 57 (never worn), at $4900. Seems like a good deal compared to other listings of the same model. But with that logic, I'd think the STTNG at $5500 was a great deal compared to those at $7k.

Thanks for any guidance.

-Aaron

#1007 7 years ago
Quoted from cincyITguy:

So I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to purchasing watches. Is buying a watch on ebay akin to buying a pin on Ebay? I understand that nobody wants to give up their honey hole, but where would one go to find a fair/decent/great deal on a watch? For example I see an Omega Speedmaster 57 (never worn), at $4900. Seems like a good deal compared to other listings of the same model. But with that logic, I'd think the STTNG at $5500 was a great deal compared to those at $7k.
Thanks for any guidance.
-Aaron

If it's truly "mint" then $4900 is a pretty good price on a new 57 co-axial. I've seen them lightly used going for that (or even a little more). Now an original 57 will usually be in mid 2's.

www.watchrecon.com is another great site for mostly used watches. If you want to compare eBay with gray market pricing then Jomashop is usually on the low end for gray market pricing from a reputable place.

#1008 7 years ago

Interesting watch and not something you see everyday.

#1009 7 years ago

Just a few complications there! Must take a while to get them all set! Beautiful piece.

#1010 7 years ago

I haven't set it properly in years. lol.

#1011 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I haven't set it properly in years. lol.

Lol! Very impressive watch nonetheless!

#1012 7 years ago

Just bought a Ball Garland Automatic with Power Reserve! Now it goes to the watchmaker for a complete service job!

garland 2 (resized).jpggarland 2 (resized).jpg
garland 4 (resized).jpggarland 4 (resized).jpg

#1013 7 years ago

My Seiko Blumo. I just love this watch.

IMG_0112 (resized).JPGIMG_0112 (resized).JPG

#1014 7 years ago

Just picked up a limited edition Grand Seiko Black Ceramic Spring Drive GMT. It's a bit large at 46 mm and has a titanium case with ceramic coating. Came with two straps. I have this crazy black and white strap on it now. Very accurate, +/- 1/2 second per day.

IMG_7428 (resized).JPGIMG_7428 (resized).JPG
IMG_7435 (resized).JPGIMG_7435 (resized).JPG
IMG_7436 (resized).JPGIMG_7436 (resized).JPG

#1015 7 years ago

Almost bought that exact watch! Love the Power Reserve! Got the Ball instead, just because I love vintage watches.

#1016 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Just picked up a limited edition Grand Seiko Black Ceramic Spring Drive GMT. It's a bit large at 46 mm and has a titanium case with ceramic coating. Came with two straps. I have this crazy black and white strap on it now. Very accurate, +/- 1/2 second per day.

Very Nice!

I'm looking at this right now:
IMG_2601 (resized).jpgIMG_2601 (resized).jpg
Alpina Seastrong Heritage Diver. I just love the two tone dial with the inner rotating dial. I like it even with the funky date window placement.

#1017 7 years ago

Oh......and here is one for ya Toucan:

_storage_emulated_0_Android_data_com.android.mms_files_tapatalk_jpeg_1485360643748_1485360673890 (resized).jpg_storage_emulated_0_Android_data_com.android.mms_files_tapatalk_jpeg_1485360643748_1485360673890 (resized).jpg

#1018 7 years ago

So what do you guys think about the Tag Heuer brand? Good quality? Too pricey? I'm not really a watch guy but I've seen a few of them that I like.

#1019 7 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

So what do you guys think about the Tag Heuer brand? Good quality? Too pricey? I'm not really a watch guy but I've seen a few of them that I like.

I can tell you that the die hard WIS (watch idiot savants) crowd don't care for Tag's or Hublot's.

I say buy what you like (but I would avoid Invicta's).

#1020 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Oh......and here is one for ya Toucan:

Always wanted a Grand Seiko for my collection. But to be honest, they are kind of blah looking. The Spring Drive however, pushed me over the end. It's an interesting mechanism.

#1021 7 years ago

It seems like there are quite a few posts on the watch forums (watchuseek) that indicate that the quality of Tag Heuer's have gone down in recent years, and that they are not considered the best quality watch for the money. Kind of disappointing because I also like the looks of some of their watches and like the history that they have in racing.

#1022 7 years ago

+1 to @Astropin. I say buy what you like. My wife has a two Tags, me none. I do have a couple Hublots and one big ass pimped Invicta. I'm an equal opportunity watch collector!

hublot (resized).jpghublot (resized).jpg

hublotdiver (resized).jpghublotdiver (resized).jpg

invicta (resized).jpginvicta (resized).jpg

#1023 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Very Nice!
I'm looking at this right now:

Alpina Seastrong Heritage Diver. I just love the two tone dial with the inner rotating dial. I like it even with the funky date window placement.

Nice watch! Looking forward to the wrist shot!

#1024 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Always wanted a Grand Seiko for my collection. But to be honest, they are kind of blah looking. The Spring Drive however, pushed me over the end. It's an interesting mechanism.

I absolutely love my Grand Seiko Spring Drive Snowflake. It is very light on the wrist, dead accurate and the snowdrift ripples on the face are subtle and beautiful. The smooth motion of the blued sweep hand is very cool too.

#1025 7 years ago

I'm absolutely fascinated by the spring drive. When I first saw it all I could think was GENIUS. Some day.....

#1026 7 years ago

1977. A young Seiko engineer started to wonder how he could make his dream of "the ever-lasting watch" come true. In his vision: a watch wound by a mainspring and with one-second-a-day accuracy, a precision that only the finest electronic watches could deliver. This engineer, Yoshikazu Akahane, was a persistent and dedicated man. It took him 28 years, countless set-backs and over 600 prototypes, but he and his team eventually succeeded by inventing new technologies in every aspect of the watchmaker's art. In 2005, Seiko Spring Drive came of age.
The precision, reliability and durability of Spring Drive were made possible by advances in four key areas of luxury watchmaking.
High accuracy

The Tri-synchro regulator controls and releases the mechanical, electrical and electro-magnetic energy generated by the mainspring. It replaces the escapement and, with its one-way motion, it is inherently more stable, durable and precise. Spring Drive is accurate to 1 second per day.

Glide-motion

As the movement has no escapement, all the motion within it is circular, in a single direction, allowing the hands to move constantly with a unique glide-motion. Spring Drive is the only watch in the world to express the natural and continuous flow of time.

Long Power Reserve

The new generation mainspring delivers more power, more smoothly and for longer. A special alloy, developed in-house by Seiko, generates increased power in addition to being durable and highly resistant to heat or corrosion. Spring Drive has a power reserve of 72 hours, even if the chronograph is in continuous operation.

Fast winding

In 1959 Seiko invented an original component from the winding mechanism of a mechanical watch, the 'Magic Lever.' It boosted the efficiency of the automatic winding mechanism, by using the energy created by each swing, in both directions, of the rotor. With direct installation to the rotor shaft, the newly designed 'Magic Lever' system delivers more efficient transmission of power than ever.

The Tri-synchro regulatory

Developed by SEIKO especially for Spring Drive, the Tri-synchro regulator

Mechanism
Controls the mainspring's mechanical energy.
Converts a small part of this energy into electricity to power the Spring Drive crystal.
Generates a magnetic force to regulate the speed of the glide wheel.
These three diverse forms of energy gives the regulator the 'tri' in its name.
The Mainspring

Seiko developed a new high-elasticity alloy "Spron 510" for the mainspring.
SPRON 510* is Seiko's unique alloy and leads the industry and delivers extended power and accuracy.
*SPRON is a registered trademark of Seiko Instruments Inc.

The Magic Lever

Magic Lever is a unique winding system first developed by Seiko in 1959.
In SPRING DRIVE a new Magic Lever winding system fitted directly to the shaft of the rotor gives greater efficiency and allows a shorter winding period and a longer power reserve.

Vertical clutch

The vertical clutch delivers high precision to the chronograph operation, and the chronograph second hand never jumps when it starts. This allows a level of accuracy (one second per day) that far exceeds that of any other luxury chronograph.
Column wheel
Column wheel

The Spring Drive chronograph is equipped with a column wheel for maximum stability in the switching mechanism. This eight-pillar component controls the chronograph function with error-free precision, and creates maximum durability and reliability.

img_index_08 (resized).pngimg_index_08 (resized).png

#1027 7 years ago

IMG_0415 (resized).JPGIMG_0415 (resized).JPG

IMG_0417 (resized).JPGIMG_0417 (resized).JPG

IMG_0418 (resized).JPGIMG_0418 (resized).JPG

#1028 7 years ago

Just got the Ball Garland back. Cleaned, buffed, timed, oiled, etc.

IMG_1263 (resized).JPGIMG_1263 (resized).JPG

#1029 7 years ago

IMG_1272 (resized).JPGIMG_1272 (resized).JPG

#1030 7 years ago

I've got to say I'm thoroughly amazed with the Spring Drive in my new Seiko. Even after 72 hours off the wrist it's still running; even better reserve then advertised. It's spot on after three days. I have quite a collection of high-end watches and none of them is as accurate as this! I think it's the perfect blend of mechanics and electronics.

#1031 7 years ago

So I just picked up what has (apparently) become a very contentious watch.....the Ginault Ocean-Rover. Another Submariner Homage.....what can I say I like diver's in general and the sub look has become a sub(pun intended) genre itself. Virtually every maker including many of the big boys make a sub homage. Like I've said in the past Fakes=Very Bad, Homage=Fine.

Anyhoo the big points of contention (as I seem to catch it) were 1. "Made in America" stamped on the back when even they had admitted some parts were sourced out of the country; and 2. They are calling the movement their own (The Ginault Calibre 7275) ....not "In-House" but a 2824-2 clone that they claim they are making "most" of the parts for themselves (or special ordering from American manufacturers). They claim that their movement is made in the US except for the hairspring, the mainspring, the red synthetic sapphire crystals also known as jewels, and the shock absorber. If true that is still damn impressive. One thing I can say is the movement is chronometer accurate!

The one I got in no longer says "Made in America" on the back....only "Hand built in America" on the bottom of the dial.

Here is what they have to say about the making of the watch - https://ginault.com/blog/

I've owned and handled a lot of watches....issues aside this is a very well made watch.

Quick Pic:

20170130_150245-1 (resized).jpg20170130_150245-1 (resized).jpg

#1032 7 years ago

Astro...is there a way to find out what year the Ball garland is from? It's Auto, Power Reserve. The number stamped on the case is: 144348

garland 7 (resized).jpggarland 7 (resized).jpg

#1033 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Astro...is there a way to find out what year the Ball garland is from? It's Auto, Power Reserve. The number stamped on the case is: 144348

Ball made the "idimatic's" from 1950-1954. It has a Swiss ETA 1256 movement which "debuted in 1950 and is the prime father of all ETA selfwinding movements ever made."

http://17jewels.info/movements-en/movements-e-en/movements-e-eta-en/637-eta-1256.html

#1034 7 years ago

Thanks! One of the watch places guessed it was from 1953-54

#1035 7 years ago

Quick update on my Ginault....after 24hrs on my wrist it's running just under +2 seconds!

#1036 7 years ago

Curious if anyone would be interested in my Omega Seamaster . Only wore a few times so it's basically new . I have all paperwork when I purchased new .

IMG_3550 (resized).JPGIMG_3550 (resized).JPG

#1037 7 years ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Curious if anyone would be interested in my Omega Seamaster . Only wore a few times so it's basically new . I have all paperwork when I purchased new .

Throw it up on www.watchuseek.com. It will then automatically get added to WatchRecon also. You'll have to "bump" your post up from time to time to keep it relevant though.

#1039 7 years ago

My cheapo!

IMG_1326 (resized).JPGIMG_1326 (resized).JPG

#1040 7 years ago

My cheapo!

IMG_7540 (resized).JPGIMG_7540 (resized).JPG

#1041 7 years ago

Funny @spfxted!
I put my tunacan on today and figured I would send the wrist shot pic. Just made my post and realized we took our wrist shot pics at about the EXACT same time, only two days apart!

I bought my quartz tunacan a couple years ago because of a post on this thread; maybe by MES

Now I'm thinking of getting a spring drive tuna!

#1042 7 years ago

Cool watch! I just bought this!

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#1043 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Cool watch! I just bought this!

What's the indication in the window?

#1044 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member on this community and was quite fascinated to see the popularity of this post. I've been a member of Watchuseek, and various other watch collecting communities, for many years now and have pretty much built out my watch collection, so why not move to something new, like, pinball machine?

Anyway, here's one of mine in front of "Gorgar." It's a Universal Geneve Tri-Compax Moonphase in stainless steel.

20170126_152918 (resized).jpg20170126_152918 (resized).jpg

20170125_161443 (resized).jpg20170125_161443 (resized).jpg

#1045 7 years ago

Sweet

#1046 7 years ago

+1, very sweet!

Welcome to Pinside seisentx
Is Gorgar your first? Any other pins?

#1047 7 years ago

Thanks! You have a very nice collection, yourself.

I don't own that machine or any others. I'm looking to buy my first machine very soon--likely a Williams System 11. Watches will continue to be a hobby, but I could see pinball taking away from future purchases.

As some others have mentioned, more can get enjoyment out of a pinball machine than a watch, so that's part of the reason I'm changing focus.

Quoted from ToucanF16:

+1, very sweet!
Welcome to Pinside seisentx
What other pins do you have?

#1048 7 years ago
Quoted from seisentx:

Thanks! You have a very nice collection, yourself.
I don't own that machine or any others. I'm looking to buy my first machine very soon--likely a Williams System 11. Watches will continue to be a hobby, but I could see pinball taking away from future purchases.
As some others have mentioned, more can get enjoyment out of a pinball machine than a watch, so that's part of the reason I'm changing focus.

That's the same reason I shifted more into pinball. Except 98% of time I'm the only one who plays the damn things.

#1049 7 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

What's the indication in the window?

Power Reserve

#1050 7 years ago

My first "real" watch...but maybe time to part with it already....

Very recently picked this up. It's pretty darn close to brand new. Story is that it was a demo model at a jeweler.

Couldn't find even a scratch anywhere on it! Had it sized yesterday so I could actually wear it, and, go figure, I'm not crazy about it. I feel like it's too small for my wrist.

So it may go back up for sale and I may hunt for a nice Omega

If anyone is interested in this fella just let me know while I ponder its' fate.

IMG_20170203_132601 (resized).jpgIMG_20170203_132601 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 300.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,916 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballand-watches/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.