(Topic ID: 87284)

Pinball Zombies from Beyond the Grave revealed! (Spooky Pinball, LLC.)

By solarvalue

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 190 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by btw75
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140808_152757955.jpg
    Charlie Emery (Spooky Pinball) + book.JPG
    Target.jpg
    Untitled-404.png
    MissLucySin-04.jpg
    ultrapro_zombie_girl_sleeve_artwork_by_wacomzombie-d63kiae.jpg
    voodoo_huntress_by_wacomzombie-d5jlxtp.jpg
    zombie_liquorice_poster_by_wacomzombie-d3hrcdf.jpg
    1023.jpg
    1031.jpg
    landofdead-frontback-cover.jpg
    Spooky_pfnew.jpg
    image-901.jpg
    Target.jpg
    gilly.jpg
    twins.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 10 years ago

I have to be a somewhat negative-Nancy and mirror the sentiments about the art package being a little on the weak side.

But I do think we gotta cut Charlie and crew some slack; they have a grass roots boutique pin company, that's not easy, and this is practically their second pin design, so there's bound to be growing pains. Kudos of the utmost degree for getting out there and doing what they do! I always reserve final "judgement" on a game until I can physically play it, as ACDC doesn't have a dynamite art package, but the gameplay more than makes up for it.

There's just not a lot of detail there on the art. Lots of wide-open real estate there that's just filled with green and blank stone.

Compare this to MET; almost EVERY inch of MET's playfield is filled with art detail and little flourishes. Granted, it's not very fair to compare a Stern machine's art to Spooky's since I'm sure there's a huge gap in resources between the two, but you get my point.

Take a look at another boutique company's design. J Pop has some absolutely incredible art so far. Light years ahead of this. No expense was spared for J Pop's art packages. Look at the girl and cab designs for the Kiss machine firm J Pop at MGC, it's stunning. It just LOOKS high end because you can tell a lot of attention and detail went into the art package.

To me, from these pictures and the pictures of AMH I've seen; the art/playfields look much closer to later Sega games like LIS, ID4 and SWT and early Sterns like AP, and I think those playfields/art just looks cheap and sophomoric compared to other playfields, and just gives a "cheaper" appearance comparatively.

I'm just some schmuck, so my opinion really doesn't mean anything, but I would say that Charlie and crew really need to go to someone else for their artwork and art consulting, because who they're using now just isn't cutting it from what I see form AMH/PZFBTG. Charlie's artwork is going to get crushed by J Pop, Stern and JJP, and he has to stay competitive if his prices are going to be in the $5-6k range.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-zombies-from-beyond-the-grave-revealed-spooky-pinball-llc?tu=Rcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.