(Topic ID: 87284)

Pinball Zombies from Beyond the Grave revealed! (Spooky Pinball, LLC.)

By solarvalue

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 190 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by btw75
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140808_152757955.jpg
    Charlie Emery (Spooky Pinball) + book.JPG
    Target.jpg
    Untitled-404.png
    MissLucySin-04.jpg
    ultrapro_zombie_girl_sleeve_artwork_by_wacomzombie-d63kiae.jpg
    voodoo_huntress_by_wacomzombie-d5jlxtp.jpg
    zombie_liquorice_poster_by_wacomzombie-d3hrcdf.jpg
    1023.jpg
    1031.jpg
    landofdead-frontback-cover.jpg
    Spooky_pfnew.jpg
    image-901.jpg
    Target.jpg
    gilly.jpg
    twins.jpg
    There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 10 years ago

Rare

Looks good

Needs bigger boobs & then tiny inserts for nipples that flash during Jackpot

Wait, you're not making the pin dogh!

#102 10 years ago

There is no hating here, Charlie, we all support you. It's the double edged sword of showing a work in progress, all we can do is comment about what is in front of us, we aren't mind readers knowing what your final vision is. Glad you are having a great show.

#103 10 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Glad to see fast action, random ball movement and very short ball times. This could be a winner on location. Looks simple, but may be very hard to master.

How would that be a winner on location?

If someone dropped $1 in that game, and the game ended in 45 seconds like it did on the video, there is no way in hell they are going to put another $1 in it. No way.

Public playing on location want a "positive" experience for their money. Not to be embarrassed.

Gameplay reminds me of Orbitor1 at this stage.

Rare, love your drawing. So much talent out there, I'm sure someone could step up and make some awesome art to smash it right out of the park.

rd.

#104 10 years ago

More boobs and more Alecia Crowley!!!!

Target.jpgTarget.jpg
    #105 10 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

More boobs and more Alecia Crowley!!!!

Target.jpg 16 KB

Boobs!!

#106 10 years ago

The hand reminds me of the face. Love the action in the pops though.

#107 10 years ago

I'm loving the package of this machine. The playfield art could use some work, but I sure wouldn't mind having this in my home.

#108 10 years ago

Could someone please post sideart?

#109 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

How would that be a winner on location?

If someone dropped $1 in that game, and the game ended in 45 seconds like it did on the video, there is no way in hell they are going to put another $1 in it. No way.

Public playing on location want a "positive" experience for their money. Not to be embarrassed.

It has nothing to do with embarrisment. I can name a list of elder games that have pretty short ball times due to random ball movement. So you try the game and then want to do better. Another quarter goes in, operator = happy and if you do improve yourself you feel good too. It always worked like that for me.

#110 10 years ago

The ball times simply are misrepresented by that video (that I took). The guy had not played it before, and the geometry and feel of Pinball Zombies is simply DIFFERENT. He actually turned around and saw I had been filming and just kind of sighed as if to say... Sorry, I sucked. You will lose balls the first time you play it... You will need to get a feel of where the ball will go off of the different slings, targets, and missed shots.

I may pull that video and shoot another, as I am very bullish on the game, and I would hate to think that some random guys bad first attempt at the game would somehow lead people to believe the game has deficiencies.

#111 10 years ago

The back box is amazing, the cabinet art is amazing, the way the playfield and back box strobe different colors from slingshot hits was cool, the tomb in the back and zombies chasing the girls was awesome. I like the upper playfield and pops too.

The hand on the playfield is killing it for me though? Some of the playfield art was amazing but the hand is just not doing it for me.

Also I'm hoping there are a lot, a lot more DMD animation. I watched five games and saw one 2 second bit of animation.

If those things change I am buying one for sure.

Also it seems like the playfield could use some cooler (toys) instead of all the stationary targets. Something cool to look at and shoot for.

Here's my crappy side art pic too.

image-901.jpgimage-901.jpg

#112 10 years ago

Fellow Pinsider Russell tried to purchase the game in time for this weekend's Rocky Mountain Pinball ShowDown . But was not able to get it in time. Maybe next year.

#113 10 years ago

Looks a blast to play.

But that hand.....

#114 10 years ago

Instead of hand I would imagine something like this between flippers:

Spooky_pfnew.jpgSpooky_pfnew.jpg
    #115 10 years ago

Instead of shoot again, I think it should say Double Tap!

#116 10 years ago

I managed to play this game a few times yesterday at MGC and like where Spooky is going with it. It's pretty basic/open in terms of layout but the game just feels "fast" and "In your face"! I don't think I've ever seen pop bumpers throw the ball around as much as they do in this game! It doesn't feel or play like anything else that I've played before. It's pretty unconventional. Obviously the code is still in it's infant stage and I think some of the shots and flipper coil strengths could use a minor bit of tweaking to get them feeling right. I found it pretty hard to hit the left orbit as you have to hit it a little bit later on the flipper than you do on most games and some of the other shots were just hard to aim for because they just felt a little "off" to me or at least different than games I'm used to. It could also use a more controlled release (or a better warning) on the upper playfield as it would often release the ball without giving you the chance to hit it with the flipper. All minor gripes though that can be fixed as it gets closer to production.

As far as the art package goes I really like the look of the cabinet and translite, although I would prefer a full translite over having the lights on the side. The playfield art looks pretty good in person but I was hoping it would match the look of the cabinet/translite art better and feature more hot zombie chicks and have more violence, gore and adult rated art. Overall though I was impressed and I think the game will continue to improve as it gets closer to release.

#117 10 years ago

I played it some more last night and it felt like he may have turned the flipper power down a little Fromm the first time I played it. Might have just been too many beers.

#118 10 years ago

Looks great....except for the hand. I hope they reconsider and come up with a better graphic for that space. Something that ties in the translite/cabinet design more directly would go a long way.

The bumper layout is very unique. Like magnets it will add some randomness in game play and may be a love-hate feature.

#119 10 years ago

The cabinet sideart is AWESOME. I love it; it gives off a huge feeling of dread. The PF art - man - it just doesn't match the cabinet sideart for me. That is a MASSIVE tombstone in the middle. I'd love it if it had zombies massacring people with blood squirts/entrails flying around and the blood squirts/entrails acted as the bodies for the inserts of each mode.

Just, that tombstone/hand combo takes away from the "evil/dread" of the cabinet art. It feels like a color version of Romero's classic NoTLD from the 60's - almost no zombies anywhere. I look at the middle of the playfield and hear owls hooting in my head instead of zombies groaning, gunshots firing, home-made bombs going off, and people screaming/dying.

Man, I re-read this post and wonder if I have issues ...

#120 10 years ago

Depending on the price point I may buy this one.

#121 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Depending on the price point I may buy this one

$5700

#123 10 years ago

yes, confirmed by Charlie in the most recent coast2coast pinball podcast.

#124 10 years ago

The hand the hand the hand. You guys are killing me. Game looks great keep up the great work Charlie.

#125 10 years ago

What happend to that thumb on the playfield?

#126 10 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am like a drunken alcoholic who just cannot stop..................Nothing gives me more pleasure than bashing WOZ, I just cannot stop! Until every last preorder is delivered, I will keep on taking cheap shots.

Someday you should come over an play WOZ, of course that will have to be after I get the LEDs stabilized

#127 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

I think that Charlie should consider hiring Greg to do the playfield art for this pin.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Not looking for a job.

Well...i'm not Greg but i would do it.

...check this out:
    1031.jpg1031.jpg 1023.jpg1023.jpg

http://swabba.de/outbreak/1031.jpg http://swabba.de/outbreak/1023.jpg

#128 10 years ago

Definitely a way to go yet in the art department.

#129 10 years ago

Ben took everyone's thoughts with AMH and look at the cabinet and Translite now,

I am sure Charlie was ready for critical reviews, you pretty much are guaranteed to get them when you show a new product.

#130 10 years ago
    Quoted from UKCatsFan76:

Ben took everyone's thoughts with AMH and look at the cabinet and Translite now,

Yes, props to Ben for that, will only translate to $$$ from additional sales.

#131 10 years ago

Don't bite the hand that feeds

Hey Chuck, that shoot again light should read "FEAST AGAIN"

landofdead-frontback-cover.jpglandofdead-frontback-cover.jpg
    #132 10 years ago

Steve Ritchie says "if 2 people tell you it sucks, then it sucks". So the hand sucks, and we'll fix it.

Was absolutely blown away by the positive feedback. I hated to take it at this stage.. the layout is pretty complete, but the toys, some mechs, upper pf, and code (literally got it wired & flipping from Monday to Thursday) were pretty lacking. It has basic sounds & multiball, but not much else.

What mattered to me was the way people thought it played. I wanted to try something completely different with our pops & sling set up and try to make a game that doesn't feel or play like everything else out there (without losing player needed shots). From all the people that took the time to tell me how wild and cool it was, I think we pulled that off. And the biggest thing is both AMH & Zombies stayed up and chugging with only minor fixes the entire weekend. That's pretty damn important to us. (Great job on the boards Parker!!!)

Ben's AMH won the 1st place trophy for "best custom". Zombies was a close 2nd... While I don't consider us "custom" anymore, we'll take the victory with a smile and couldn't be prouder of how the games are coming along.

To Dan & everyone else at MGC... we know you had some struggles this year (and for the love of pinball, move Terry & Rob Anthony up by the arcade room next year!) , but thanks so much for the hospitality and hard work you put in. We consider MGC our "home show". Seeing the amount of pins this year was incredible... man what a set up! I'd say you're about 3 more pins away from putting a 2nd tent on the roof (don't really do that Dan) Kudos to you all for a job well done. Can't wait for next year!

Back to work... gotta get the trailer unloaded.

#133 10 years ago

Charlie I love how you and Ben both respond to feedback, you guys are obviously so passionate about what you do, but you're also not afraid to change it to make things better, and those qualities don't always go hand in hand.

My dream right now is that someone does up a horror themed pin with art from South African artist Corlen Kruger. I love his pulp sensibility, it's a great mix of horror and sexy, nice and hand drawn without feeling over rendered. He does a ton of indie commercial work, so his rates can't be outrageous. Maybe Spooky will commission something some day!

http://www.corlenkruger.com <- More work and contact info

I'm just saying, if you made a pin that looked like these examples, I'd be checking my bank account balance before I even saw the gameplay.

MissLucySin-04.jpgMissLucySin-04.jpg
    voodoo_huntress_by_wacomzombie-d5jlxtp.jpgvoodoo_huntress_by_wacomzombie-d5jlxtp.jpg
    ultrapro_zombie_girl_sleeve_artwork_by_wacomzombie-d63kiae.jpgultrapro_zombie_girl_sleeve_artwork_by_wacomzombie-d63kiae.jpg
    zombie_liquorice_poster_by_wacomzombie-d3hrcdf.jpgzombie_liquorice_poster_by_wacomzombie-d3hrcdf.jpg

#134 10 years ago
    Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

So the hand sucks, and we'll fix it.

Its more the mixed up of comic/realistic styles that don't fit. The silhouettes in the middle of the playfield looks like black out photos and the background is very photoshopish. The hand looks very cartoony and more hand drawn...

I prefer a good hand drawn style with less fadings but most important is a balanced design (good or bad).

@ Aurich: very ordinarily when it comes to artwork these days at least your exaples don't you think?

https://www.google.de/search?q=zombie+artwork&client=firefox-a&hs=hw7&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=OihMU8nyIOe47AbJsYCADA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=919

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's bad in any way but not very unique IMO...

#135 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Charlie I love how you and Ben both respond to feedback, you guys are obviously so passionate about what you do, but you're also not afraid to change it to make things better, and those qualities don't always go hand in hand.
    My dream right now is that someone does up a horror themed pin with art from South African artist Corlen Kruger. He does a ton of indie commercial work, so his rates can't be outrageous. Maybe Spooky will commission something some day!
    http://www.corlenkruger.com

Now that's some good stuff.

#136 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

horror themed pin with art from South African artist Corlen Kruger.

That is awesome stuff! Never say never... we're just getting started, and as we grow we will get more budget to experiment and work with.

Fantastic art!

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Steve Ritchie says "if 2 people tell you it sucks, then it sucks". So the hand sucks, and we'll fix it.

IMO, it's not just the hand between the flippers that needs re-worked, it's the playfield artwork as a whole. Most all suggestions in this thread by RareHero, Aurich, and NFK would be improvements.

We saw night & day improvement with the AMH translite & cabinet when Ben re-did those based on feedback. Hopefully the same can be done with the PZFBTG playfield artwork.

BTW, I'm a Spooky supporter & have an AMH on order.

#138 10 years ago

I played both of the Spooky games yesterday at the MGC and I was entertained by both of them. I like what they are doing and I'm certainly rooting for them to succeed.

#139 10 years ago

Love the way it shoots on the video. Pop bumpers are insane

As p/f is changing - lower half is just dull, dreary colors. Colors need to pop.

And yes, it is asking for a hot babe somewhere instead of the hand!

#140 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm just saying, if you made a pin that looked like these examples

Now your talking! That is right up my alley in personal taste. A little pulp styled horror mixed with sexy. If someone creates a pin that plays well with that style of art, I'll be reaching for the wallet.

#141 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Now your talking! That is right up my alley in personal taste. A little pulp styled horror mixed with sexy. If someone creates a pin that plays well with that style of art, I'll be reaching for the wallet.

Based on the translite that was what I was expecting. Bummer on this game but it sounds like the down the road we may seem something pulpier and sexier ; )

#142 10 years ago

I like very fast and awesome. Love the extra slings! Reminds me of Black Hole.

Playfield Art needs to marry into the Translite Art. More sexy zombies and gore.

Then you will have a winner!

#143 10 years ago
    Quoted from riverinapinball:

I like very fast and awesome. Love the extra slings! Reminds me of Black Hole.
    Playfield Art needs to marry into the Translite Art. More sexy zombies and gore.
    Then you will have a winner!

Agreed,

Cabinet and translite are sweet, playfield needs to match style

#144 10 years ago
    Quoted from riverinapinball:

Charlie,
    We love you guys to death, but they are right. The playfield just looks out of place compared to the translite and back glass.

Still support you 100% though but wanted to chime in.

#145 10 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Well, from what I understand, I don't think they are trying to compete with WOZ and MMR. They are trying to make a more old-school, simple kind of a product. I seem to remember Charlie saying that the game would have more of a Williams System 11 feel.

Yes, that may be true. But if your going to charge a price that is similar to the other manufactures it would be smart to offer as much in your game as the others if you want to be able to compete. As we know stern was phoneing it in with games like wheel of fortune or world poker tour. Then they had to bring their best effort once their was competition and the games got better. So like it or not spooky is going to have to be competitive with others to stay in business.

#146 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinB:

IMO, it's not just the hand between the flippers that needs re-worked, it's the playfield artwork as a whole. Most all suggestions in this thread by RareHero, Aurich, and NFK would be improvements.
    We saw night & day improvement with the AMH translite & cabinet when Ben re-did those based on feedback. Hopefully the same can be done with the PZFBTG playfield artwork.
    BTW, I'm a Spooky supporter & have an AMH on order.

He's probably just bluffing you all. This is probably just the first draft version that he's showing you to get your goat. Probably has the real one with totally sick artwork to be revealed later as a surprise.

#147 10 years ago
    Quoted from phalcon_2600:

. As we know stern was phoneing it in with games like Wheel of Fortune or World Poker Tour.

They were? Those two games are actually the most unique layouts Stern has ever done...and both had little DMD displays in the playfields.

#148 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

They were? Those two games are actually the most unique layouts Stern has ever done...and both had little DMD displays in the playfields.

Exactly. Saying the designs of these two pins in particular were "phoned in" is laughable. Two unique designs by two great designers.

#149 10 years ago

Untitled-404.pngUntitled-404.png

Think I found the theme folks here are looking for....

#150 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

+1

The themes were lame IMHO, but the designs and software ( minus the unfinished ) are some of the best ever.

There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-zombies-from-beyond-the-grave-revealed-spooky-pinball-llc/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.