(Topic ID: 337972)

Pinball Wizard and non pinball people

By TiltingT

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How often do non pinball people ask you about The Who's Pinball Wizard song”

• Almost everytime 12 votes
      26%
    • Occasionally 16 votes
      35%
    • Never 18 votes
      39%

(46 votes)

#1 10 months ago

I've been in the hobby for about 8 or 9 years now, and over time I have noticed a phenomenon when a Non-Pinball People(aka NPP's) find out I love pinball. So I decided to come to the center of the pinball universe to ask you all of your experiences.
    The phenomenon that has become apparent is NPP's, within the first 10 minutes of finding out, not only that pinball exists but they are still being made and thriving, I seem to always get a comment such as , "What about that one song Pinball Wizard" or "I bet you love that song Pinball Wizard" . This has happened so often that when somebody finds out about the hobby and I am talking to them about it, in the back of my mind I am waiting to be asked about that song.
    Now don't get me wrong, I love talking about pinball and always tell that person about the leagues and tournaments and invite and encourage them to come play as I love to share this hobby with everyone, the people you meet along the way have become my best friends in life.
    So what do you all think, does this happen to you or is there a different question or comment you always get from NPP's?

#2 10 months ago

I hate that song. When people bring it up I change the subject.

#3 10 months ago

The next time someone mentions the song, start singing it loudly and off-key while gyrating suggestively and maintaining steady eye contact. That's the best method I've found for ensuring it never gets mentioned again.

#4 10 months ago

So far, I get asked how one buys pinball machines or where does one keep it. "The song" nor movie have never come up. . . yet.

#5 10 months ago

When mentioning the hobby I have been asked numerous times if I'm the "Pinball Wizard?" It's a bit predictable and mildly annoying. At the same time I understand people are just looking for common ground to carry on a conversation. It's the first thing most non-pinball people are going to think of.

#6 10 months ago
    Quoted from TiltingT:

I've been in the hobby for about 8 or 9 years now, and over time I have noticed a phenomenon when a Non-Pinball People(aka NPP's) find out I love pinball. So I decided to come to the center of the pinball universe to ask you all of your experiences.
    The phenomenon that has become apparent is NPP's, within the first 10 minutes of finding out, not only that pinball exists but they are still being made and thriving, I seem to always get a comment such as , "What about that one song Pinball Wizard" or "I bet you love that song Pinball Wizard" . This has happened so often that when somebody finds out about the hobby and I am talking to them about it, in the back of my mind I am waiting to be asked about that song.
    Now don't get me wrong, I love talking about pinball and always tell that person about the leagues and tournaments and invite and encourage them to come play as I love to share this hobby with everyone, the people you meet along the way have become my best friends in life.
    So what do you all think, does this happen to you or is there a different question or comment you always get from NPP's?

Quoted from AlexF:

When mentioning the hobby I have been asked numerous times if I'm the "Pinball Wizard?" It's a bit predictable and mildly annoying. At the same time I understand people are just looking for common ground to carry on a conversation. It's the first thing most non-pinball people are going to think of.

Same as AlexF mentioned above.

The most common thing I get would be in the first interaction, about halfway through they’ll say “so I bet you’re a real... WIZARD at pinball?”
    Which they earnestly think is incredibly clever and original. It gives me the same feeling as people at the market who repeat the annoying cliché, “it didn’t scan so I guess it’s free! HYUCK HYUCK HYUCK” those people need to STFU.

I’m more sympathetic towards the “you’re a wizard” comment because, these people think that pinball must have stop being made on 1965.
    They see a Lethal Weapon or a Sopranos and ask “how did they make this machine in the 70s? Pinball is really old!”

They’re ignorant and clueless, I can’t hold it against them or be mad. Much like the children I had to guide as a TA, they need to be educated. They show at least some attempt at relating a personal experience which is a strong component of meaningful conversation. Since they are willing, I usually give them a basic crash course while trying to avoid overwhelming them.

A good example is “that song is actually partially responsible for modern pinball’s “final Boss Mode” being called the “Wizard Mode” most machines built in the 90s onwards feature a “Wizard Mode” and so on and so forth. This opens the door while allowing the person to ask more questions and indicate how interested they are in actually learning about pinball.

Occasionally there’s a look of “concern” in their eyes as they didn’t realize this conversation would get so complex, and they’re worried about go full pinhead/nerd on them.

#7 10 months ago

And of course, the song refers to a 'Table'.

Quote: "Even on my favorite table He can beat my best"

Which is highly offensive to people who understand pinball MACHINES.

(Link to Lyrics)

https://www.google.com/search?q=lyrics+pinball+wizard&rlz=1C1EJFA_enUS778US778&oq=lyrics+pinball+wizard&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i67i650j0i22i30l6j0i22i30i625.5215j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

#8 10 months ago

The phrasing I usually get is "Are you a pinball wizard?"

I will furrow my brow and reply, "a what, now?"

"You know, like the song?"

"What song?"

"Pinball Wizard?"

And I feign ignorance with a head shake and shoulder shrug, like I never heard of such a thing.

It's what they deserve for making such a lame, obvious reference.

#9 10 months ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I hate that song.

THE most amazing musical artist I ever witnessed live.

#10 10 months ago

If only pinball had a song as good as Pac-man Fever, those lucky video game fans got it all.

#11 10 months ago

All great comments , thanks for some interesting ideas to change the conversation around!..

#12 10 months ago

I generally hear the same questions over and over.

Are you a pinball wizard ? Have you been to the pinball hall of fame ? These games cost hundreds or lots of thousands. Etc. Etc.

I try to get a feel for the person. Are they trying to learn ? just making a comment ? Or committed to being ignorant.

Than I try to answer accordingly.

LTG : )

#13 10 months ago

I often get, "isn't it against the law to own one of those. "
    I guess I am a felon then.

#14 10 months ago

I’ve had the pinball Wizard comment a couple times. I say that the preferred term is pinhead. To which the person is usually not impressed. Also most everyone asks what the pins cost. I have stopped giving direct answer due to the immediate loss of respect for me as a sane person I see in their eyes when I tell them.

#15 10 months ago

Pinball Wizard is a fantastic song. I'll probably never get sick of it. Loved that song and album long before I was super into pinball.

Doesn't mean it's not eye-rolling when idiots think "Wow this guy has probably never heard someone refer to Pinball Wizard when someone finds out they are into pinball! I'm gonna blow his mind by mentioning it!" and then put their plan into action.

What are you gonna do. Pretty low on the things that annoy me about the hobby.

#16 10 months ago

When asked if I'm a wizard I reply merely an apprentice...Want to play dollar games?
    Al

#17 10 months ago

When The Who finally stops touring, will it cause the pinball bubble to burst. Discuss...

#18 10 months ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

When The Who finally stops touring, will it cause the pinball bubble to burst. Discuss...

No, it will just cause prices to rise more, because Who fans will need to get their pinball wizarding experience elsewhere.

#19 10 months ago

outside of actual wizard modes in actual pinball machines I'm at the point now where I can't stand anything wizard related to pinball. The song was a fine song but now I hate it and I hope I never hear it again. Everyone thinks they're so clever mentioning pinball wizards. I hate it. I want to throw myself through a window every time.

#20 10 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I try to get a feel for the person. Are they trying to learn ? just making a comment ?
    Than I try to answer accordingly.
    LTG : )

I think its mostly this with me, a lot of people I know just don't know " what to say" or how to react I'm guessing when coming over to my house and see the games. And that's the easiest and first thing that comes to most peoples minds I suppose.

#21 10 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I’ve had the pinball Wizard comment a couple times. I say that the preferred term is pinhead. To which the person is usually not impressed. Also most everyone asks what the pins cost. I have stopped giving direct answer due to the immediate loss of respect for me as a sane person I see in their eyes when I tell them.

Yeah, wizard comments don't bother me. Every hobby has that one joke that everyone makes when they find out you're into it, not realizing that they're treading well beaten ground. This is pinball's.

The cost of machines, on the other hand, I still don't know a graceful way to respond to, especially family. On one hand, it's like I know a bunch of people will drop this amount of money on a trip to Walt Disney World for their family, a ski vacation or something like that without thinking twice, but mention the cost of a pinball machine, and their minds are blown. If people are kinda beating around the bush with the question, I'll try to get them off of it, but if someone straight up asks, I don't like just refusing to answer. That, in my experience, gets people assuming I spend way more than I do.

The best answer I got is "Yeah, it costs around $5k. It's a lot, but we're really into it and play it a lot and they have historically held their value pretty well and (fingers crossed) will continue to do so. If we want a refresh with a new machine we can sell this one and use that money, or just trade, pretty easily, so it's not like we need to spend that money every time we get tired of it."

Most people seem to get that a lot more than a straight "It costs $6,000," which always gets a "Wait, are you serious?!" This cuts to the chase before they can get worked up.

#22 10 months ago

Most people who ask me how much the machines cost are "collectors" of something (cars, boats, small engines, tools, whatever) that cost more than my pins did. In the case of one nosy bro-in-law, "less than your boat" worked well.

#23 10 months ago
    Quoted from Don_C:

If only pinball had a song as good as Pac-man Fever, those lucky video game fans got it all.

I also remember Do the Donkey Kong but it was never played as much as PAC Man Fever

#24 10 months ago
    Quoted from Seamlesswall:

THE most amazing musical artist I ever witnessed live.

Michael Hedges is one of my all time favorite guitarists. I own and celebrate his entire catalog of albums and also have many bootleg recordings. So sad that he was killed at such a young age. We saw him about 7 or 8 times over the years. Each show was amazing. I think we only saw him play Pinball Wizard once.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-wizard-and-non-pinball-people- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.