Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball_With_The_Pros_crack_meme_(resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Pinball With The Pros Episode 2

Nate Shivers is joined by Steve Bowden on location at Modern Pinball NYC to play Mustang Pinball (Pro) by Stern.

Check out: www.funwithbonus.com (Steve Bowden's Site)

Special thanks:
Modern Pinball NYC
Josh Sharpe - Rules and creative adviser
Tim Leonard (rules sheet)

Pinball With The Pros is a web series where Nate Shivers of Coast 2 Coast Pinball and some of the best pinball players in the world get together for a unique one on one playing experience.

Special Thanks to the series sponsor Stern Pinball.

#3 3 years ago

Wow Steve seems like such a great person! His shirt is fantastic too! Thanks

#4 3 years ago

Great video - thanks Nate and Steve! A tutorial like this has been TOO LONG in coming for a game as fun as Mustang! (CanNOT believe that Dead Flip hasn't featured this game yet for example.)

A Mustang rules/info/strategy doc for those interested in more details can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7bI7gUksbVgeW8yT1BsZ3R5cW8/view?usp=sharing

A further (and anticipated final) refined version with additional info is nearly complete and will be posted soon!

#5 3 years ago

Bump for a great video and awesome game

#6 3 years ago

I've played the pro and really enjoyed it... never played a premium.

I'd love to know if the spirit of the game is left intact with the Pro (vs Premium)...like ST. Are you missing out on a big experience with the Pro?

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Don't have one of these locally, but put several games on the one in New York New York. Will be nice to sort of know what I'm doing next time.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I've played the pro and really enjoyed it... never played a premium.
I'd love to know if the spirit of the game is left intact with the Pro (vs Premium)...like ST. Are you missing out on a big experience with the Pro?

Power Shifts are the biggest feature that the Pro lacks. The Road Hazard pop-up targets are great risk vs reward shots and having Power Shifts available to help complete a tougher mode and get to Drift is a good thing indeed.

The different colored shot arrows, MUSTANG letter selection, electronic orbit gates, and diverter ramp are nice too.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Power Shifts are the biggest feature that the Pro lacks. The Road Hazard pop-up targets are great risk vs reward shots and having Power Shifts available to help complete a tougher mode and get to Drift is a good thing indeed.
The different colored shot arrows, MUSTANG letter selection, electronic orbit gates, and diverter ramp are nice too.

8 songs for you to change out in pinball browser as opposed to 4 on pro

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

The cross ramp on the premium is a cool feature. It will divert the ball to the right when a shot needs to be made by the right flipper. I love the game. It's a good mix with games like TWD, ST and GOT, in my opinion.

Here's the feature matrix that gives you the differences: http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/mustang/premium/Mustang%20Pinball%20Matrix.pdf

#11 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing, I learned a few things.

i.e. Had no idea about the lighted RPM targets get you $2,000,000.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

8 songs for you to change out in pinball browser as opposed to 4 on pro

This would make sense, but it's not true. You can add a custom song for all 8 cars on the Pro. Mustang Pro is a great usage case for Pinball Browser.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

This would make sense, but it's not true. You can add a custom song for all 8 cars on the Pro. Mustang Pro is a great usage case for Pinball Browser.

Ok sorry I will clarify... "4 additional selectable songs to change out"

#15 3 years ago

So you can add 4 songs on pinball browser giving the pro 8 songs?

Interesting comments about the features on the premium. I was aware of the differences... But am more curious about the playability. Does the pro feel stripped down?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Does the pro feel stripped down?

By itself, not even involving any other version, it feels like the most stripped down game in town; Very flat. Although I always had fun playing it, I don't think it really pumped many people up, which is why we don't hear much

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

By itself, not even involving any other version, it feels like the most stripped down game in town; Very flat.

Could not disagree more.

Won't elaborate, rated that game, been on the dedicated thread... To summarize: solid rules, original layout (do we always need two ramps !?), decent shots to be made, risk/reward with the GEAR drops and gear multiball, difficult skill shot, interesting upper lanes with two independent features (one allowing lane change with the flippers, the other not) ; cool bumper caps...

#18 3 years ago

I don't think the pro is stripped down at all. However I'm more or less a pro buyer I have a hard time justifying prices of the LE's and Premium's. I mean the video has the pro, I added a few Hooked mods, very happy with Mustang.

#19 3 years ago

Great video. I am so happy to see these. It does reinforce the fact that I'm not big on the title. But if it ever gets called to play in league I might know a bit more about the play now.

I noticed you didn't bet $1 this time. Smart move. Brutal deadly game.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Interesting comments about the features on the premium. I was aware of the differences... But am more curious about the playability. Does the pro feel stripped down?

I think he means the songs for police pursuit, stunt car, drift and stampede but they are all under a minute long. The premium/ le the songs for drag race, cruisin, road course, rally race have 8 different licensed songs you can select while on the pro those 4 mode songs are dedicated. Having played both I think the coolest difference is when taking a shortcut on rally race you have to thread the needle to the N2O target without hitting the caution target that pops up.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

By itself, not even involving any other version, it feels like the most stripped down game in town; Very flat. ...

I understand this opinion even if I don't agree with it. I don't see Mustang being a "stripped down" pin but I guess the lack of theme based toys (only in the context of recent pins) is what gives it that reputation.

If a player/owner grew up playing 90's and later pins with multiple levels and ramps and all kinds of toys and decorations they got used to that as the norm and apparently anything less than that is stripped and unworthy of their time. Those of us that started out on EM and/or early SS got a single level of play field and no "toys" aside from the normal variance of targets to shoot at .. so to us Mustang is a fully feature pin. It is as full featured as many older A list games that people love to play despite the lack of toys.

The video shows that Mustang can be a fast, tough game to play but apparently a pin needs flappy winged dragons, shaking spaceships or ball spitting demons in order to give a warm fuzzy feeling to the player/buyer that their money was well spent.

Pinball seems like it is less about the silverball these days and more about how "fancy" a game can be .... that is sorta sad

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

I understand this opinion even if I don't agree with it. I don't see Mustang being a "stripped down" pin but I guess the lack of theme based toys (only in the context of recent pins) is what gives it that reputation.

Pinball seems like it is less about the silverball these days and more about how "fancy" a game can be .... that is sorta sad

Well for the record, I'm not the kind of person that says "toys," (I'd rather vomit on myself) when talking aboot a game, and a bunch of garbage thrown on the PF just to be there doesn't trick me (Rotating car ) into thinking there's a lot to do. Standard I would like 2 ramps of course, but I own 3 games that have 1 or no ramps and I love them. Mustang is just not a very captivating game to me. The layout is boring, the look is atrocious, and the rollover/car at the top take up 1/3 of the PF for basically no reason.
Again, I had fun playing it, I think the humor in it is awesome. I have a GOT on order and that thing is stripped down....to china town.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

I think he means the songs for police pursuit, stunt car, drift and stampede but they are all under a minute long. The premium/ le the songs for drag race, cruisin, road course, rally race have 8 different licensed songs you can select while on the pro those 4 mode songs are dedicated. Having played both I think the coolest difference is when taking a shortcut on rally race you have to thread the needle to the N2O target without hitting the caution target that pops up.

Actually on the pro, all 6 main modes can be swapped out in addition to drift, silverball stampede, gear shift/drag multiball, burnout multiball, upgrade modes, and Mustang multiball (plus a few others such as the start game, car ready, etc), the same as the premium. The only real difference that I've noticed is that it looks like the premium/LE calls for separate requests for gear shift and drag race multi. On the Pro they both share the same request (stock is Go Boy Go). While we can change all 6 modes, the music is not selectable...each song sticks with it's specific mode.

In all there are 18 songs on the pro that can be swapped out, all of which are long enough to be meaningful and not repetitive. Plus there are a few shorter ones on top of that which do make a difference when changed. 23 total. I changed all but 3 of them (I kept Drag City, Ace of Spades, and the Mustang Multiball song). Once I clarify a couple requests that I'm not 100% on, I plan to document my findings and what I did in the Mustang Music thread that Tullster started.

#24 3 years ago

There was one point when Steve really nudged the machine and I would have loved to see yet another camera focused on the tilt sensor to see how close he was.

Thanks for putting these together Nate & keep up the smiles Steve!

#25 3 years ago

Just finished watching the episode. The only thing I have to say is...

Pinball_With_The_Pros_crack_meme_(resized).jpeg

#26 3 years ago

Thanks for posting. Mustang is fun game and one I think is a bit undervalued at the moment.

#27 3 years ago

Thanks for this Nate! REALLY enjoying this series. I have never met Steve before but he is my new favorite top player to root for! Guy is super cool and obviously has a huge passion for pinball. I love his attitude towards playing and teaching. I felt like that episode needed 1 more game and I was really enjoying watching you play and him teach the rules. I like that he was also choosing modes he normally wouldn't just to show you more of the game.

I will say it would be nice if every episode builds towards you having at least 1 good game or progression towards something new. I like the idea that teh Pros are teaching you. You are an identifiable guy for most of us as you play in a regular level, so we want to see you blow it up a few times also! May need a longer session and some creative editing but we want to see you kill it a few times also!

#28 3 years ago

oh yes >> I would like to request one of these being done on Ripleys for seaosn 1. Since it is all stern, that is a game I have never had the opportuntiy to really dig into and would liek to.

#29 3 years ago

I want to see you do one with someone who is not a nice person and a bad teacher. Like when your father teaches you to drive and the car is a standard and your burning the clutch on a hill. I want yelling, name calling and the occasional smack on the head.

#30 3 years ago

Great ep Nate & Steve!

Quoted from Whysnow:

oh yes >> I would like to request one of these being done on Ripleys for seaosn 1. Since it is all stern, that is a game I have never had the opportuntiy to really dig into and would liek to.

If you haven't seen it yet, Keith Elwin did a nice Ripley's tutorial (50 minutes):

#31 3 years ago

Hilton - Thanks! If I had to do any additional editing... These wouldn't get done. I like the idea of these videos being "of the moment" and just straight through. These are really not trying to be a "tutorial", but rather a not live "playing lesson". We won't ever cover all of a game, which will leave the door open for other players to play the same game.

As far as wanting to see me put up a great game... Might take a while. I get better as the season goes on.... Probably less stressed about the computer crashing, less stressed about how bad I look on camera, less stressed about the Pros seeing how bad I am at pinball, etc... So there are some better moments for my game play.

Ripley's would be high on my list for Season 2. Season 1 is over half recorded and the rest basically booked, depending on my travel and a few players schedules/availability.

#32 3 years ago

good stuff.

Looking forward to you having a bust out game
Glad you are improving as the seaosn progresses.

I do think the bad teacher that yells at you would be damn funny also. Great idea Taxman.

Hoping Season 2 brings in some great oddball title once in a while. How much does it cost for me to sponsor you to do a mini season of "pinball with the not ever a Pro" ? You can come to my place and we will do tutorials on TX-sector, RoboWar, and Excalibur... hahahaha. I will teach you the rules and we can both flail all over.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

...I like the idea of these videos being "of the moment" and just straight through. These are really not trying to be a "tutorial", but rather a not live "playing lesson"...

This is what I love. It is kind of like playing in a league and someone says they don't know the game and want to know basically what to shoot for to get a few points. You are never going to go through all of the details, but a nice overview.

Plus it is being done by someone with skills and a name you know. But rather than just watching them play on a stream you get to see a conversational side of them and so far they seem like great guys.

Mixed with a little flailing to keep it light.

#34 3 years ago

one more request nate >> for season #2 please do one on AMH where you invite a previous pro over to your house to play AMH and you teach them the rules.

Best would be a PRO that does not know AMH very well yet (not sure if that exisits?)

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

one more request nate >> for season #2 please do one on AMH where you invite a previous pro over to your house to play AMH and you teach them the rules.
Best would be a PRO that does not know AMH very well yet (not sure if that exisits?)

Yeah that be good idea and watching mustang make like it more. I need to find one to play.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That would be pretty interesting.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If this is sponsored by Stern I have a feeling it is going to be all newer Stern games played.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Great ep Nate & Steve!

If you haven't seen it yet, Keith Elwin did a nice Ripley's tutorial (50 minutes):
» YouTube video

I guess you could call this "Pinball with the Pro"

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

If this is sponsored by Stern I have a feeling it is going to be all newer Stern games played.

only season #1 is Stern sponsored is my understanding. Gonna need to mix it up in season 2

#40 3 years ago

I know you mentioned Kickstarter as a way of getting this off the ground Nate (vs. the sponsorship you eventually got) but would you consider something via Patreon? I think you can have "sponsors" per episode release or as a regular (monthly) thing. Pretty sure a few people would happily throw some coin in your direction to keep PWTP going.

2 weeks later
#41 3 years ago

Can't believe nobody has mentioned WHAT AN AWESOME SHIRT Bowden is wearing !!

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Actually on the pro, all 6 main modes can be swapped out in addition to drift, silverball stampede, gear shift/drag multiball, burnout multiball, upgrade modes, and Mustang multiball (plus a few others such as the start game, car ready, etc), the same as the premium. The only real difference that I've noticed is that it looks like the premium/LE calls for separate requests for gear shift and drag race multi. On the Pro they both share the same request (stock is Go Boy Go). While we can change all 6 modes, the music is not selectable...each song sticks with it's specific mode.
In all there are 18 songs on the pro that can be swapped out, all of which are long enough to be meaningful and not repetitive. Plus there are a few shorter ones on top of that which do make a difference when changed. 23 total. I changed all but 3 of them (I kept Drag City, Ace of Spades, and the Mustang Multiball song). Once I clarify a couple requests that I'm not 100% on, I plan to document my findings and what I did in the Mustang Music thread that Tullster started.

Obi-Wan...please show me how to use this force for good... Getting ready to donate to Pinball Browser and then FINALLY change out these instrumentals that are driving me BATTY ; last night I had the same one play for 3 different modes...aarrgh ! Like you did, I want to keep Surf City and Ace of Spades...everything else sayonara. Need some old Crue Live Wire in there right meow. Pm coming soon Jedi.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Can't believe nobody has mentioned WHAT AN AWESOME SHIRT Bowden is wearing !!

Quoted from RogerKlotz27:

Wow Steve seems like such a great person! His shirt is fantastic too! Thanks

I sit corrected.

8 months later
#44 3 years ago

Any new vids? These were cool...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Morrisville, PA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside