2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dmarston
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TechnicalSteam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Recently I had a colleague of mine ask me what is in Public Domain with Pinball Titles.
    His interest is not in the function but more of artwork aspect of games.

I am not a lawyer by any means but was curious when the Artwork, Logo's, Fonts and Design
    aspects of games go into the public domain.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm just curious if eventually some of these titles will no longer
    be able to be licensed. Many titles are hitting a 40 year mark.

I also wondered if from a Technology standpoint. What is patented. If we design a game using
    Williams or Bally sling and solenoids are we going to have to pony up? Then there are the themes
    where a movie studio might own rights. How doe these get factored in. I've heard
    BBC has made repoing plastic sets a PITA along with Cabinet art and Dalek toppers.

These are issues I think may cause many of us to hesitate in making things. .

Thanks for any help

#8 2 years ago

Thanks everyone. That really clears up some of what is in the realm of possibility.

Not entirely sure what he has planned but I'm thinking he is out of luck leveraging
    logos and game names on his designs without some legal research and $. Fortunately
    he was just spitballing ideas and hadn't put to much time into anything.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TechnicalSteam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-what-art-amp-titles-are-public-domain-any-williams-and-bally?tu=TechnicalSteam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.