5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

So - I started moving my pins into my new basement arcade and had a serious moment with my escalera trying to move a sys 3 Gottlieb. After some digging, I found that part of it was likely because the body is a few inches thicker, and thus the load was even further off the handtruck and heavier than other cabs of the era. That caused the center of gravity shift to be more dramatic and almost ended real poorly...

That got me thinking - is there a list of Pins and their weights? Ideally we could include individual titles or quirks (ie - Gottlieb sys 3 is a few inches wider, or Twilight Zone is extra weight due to the amount of stuff, model is designed/easily disconnected to two pieces, etc etc). This kind of information in one place could really help in determining if you should call a buddy to help, handle it yourself, what type of transportation to take to a pick up, etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone able to willing to contribute!

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

I found that part of it was likely because the body is a few inches thicker, and thus the load was even further off the handtruck and heavier than other cabs of the era.

The small size difference isn't the only reason. The metal brackets used throughout the game and on the playfield is much thicker in most cases than what other manufacturers, which drastically added to the weight. They were built like tanks.

is there a list of Pins and their weights?

No, not really. You'll just see mention of certain titles being a beast because they are so big and heavy. STTNG is one prominent example.

There are guides/discussions on vehicles and what they can haul:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vehicles_for_Moving_Pinball_Machines

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in

#3 5 years ago

I can only recommend to never ever move a Jolly Park.
    Apollo 13 is another beast to handle.
    I'm glad I was able to move my space station 3 stories up into my flat without dying....

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The small size difference isn't the only reason. The metal brackets used throughout the game and on the playfield is much thicker in most cases than what other manufacturers, which drastically added to the weight. They were built like tanks.

That's a great point! I've always heard the Sys 3s were tanks (and in fairness, when I was moving out in January, this took a bit of a dive getting loaded onto a truck that was parked on snow and ice... the paint wasn't even scuffed and everything worked 100%. It truly is a tank). That's good to know about them for sure though. Any idea how far back the Gottliebs were so much heavier/stronger? (just Sys3, or into 80a/b? I know sys 1 and regular 80 aren't much different). I completely forgot about "this machine is a tank" until the 3rd step down. (ironically, the six steps outside my buddy's place were zero issue. probably cause it was wider and I had a buddy beside me to help navigate)

Quoted from ForceFlow:

There are guides/discussions on vehicles and what they can haul:

Yeah I've seen the vehicle list. Actually part of the reason I upgraded from my Honda Fit to a minivan is to reliably carry a 2nd (or 3rd if I get real aggressive and remove heads) pin and hang the escalera off the back on a hitch.

#5 5 years ago

Any idea how far back the Gottliebs were so much heavier/stronger?

They pretty much used the same hardware the whole time. Once they designed a bracket or part for something, they kept reusing it.

But, a lot more started getting packed into the game during the system 80B era and throughout the System 3 are (aside from the "street level" pins), so that contributed to the weight gain.

#6 5 years ago

System 1 games are fairly light.

System 80 games aren't too bad, aside from HH and BH, and maybe a couple others.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-weights-by-manufacturer-model and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.