Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by gandamack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tommy-boy-guarantee.gif

#1 1 year ago

I am currently waiting on a warranty covered part to be shipped from Stern. I am having difficulty nailing down a timeframe regarding the shipping of the part. It has already been a fair amount of time. I am actually considering ordering the part at a distributor (it is in their stock) and paying out of my own pocket because I am tired of being stuck in pinball limbo. What are your experiences with various manufacturers?

#2 1 year ago

The last Stern part I needed came in aboot 2 weeks from when I contacted them.

#3 1 year ago

I have nothing but positive things to say about my dealings with Stern, JJP, and Spooky. All of them delivered replacement parts (some well out of warranty) within a week or 2. Just basic plastics, or steel doo dads - never had any node board issues (those are tough to get).

I always was extra kind to them in my emails saying please and thank you's and always stressed that I appreciated their time in helping me. A little kindness can go a long way in todays world. Worked for me.

#4 1 year ago

I also waited about 2 weeks from Stern for a warranty part. It also depends on what you're waiting for, sounds like whatever you're waiting for is preventing you from being able to play the game. Also depends on the cost of the part, if it's pretty cheap and I wanted my game up and running again I would just pay for it and keep the stern part as a backup once it arrives.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

I would just pay for it and keep the stern part as a backup once it arrives.

Yes, I kind of agree with this reasoning.

#6 1 year ago

I have been waiting three years in total for parts from Stern, in two different cases.

And despite this, it didn't turn out quite right in the end. In one case, the distributor resolved it at his own expense.

Never again any NIB for me, not willing to pay that much money for the headaches I got in the process.

#7 1 year ago

Over two years since I was promised something from Stern. Even had a follow up email chain a few weeks ago from my distro and Stern. Nothing on my door step. No shipping notification.

#8 1 year ago

Ok. I don't feel so bad now waiting since June on a part I'll probably never get.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Ok. I don't feel so bad now waiting since June on a part I'll probably never get.

This reminded me I have a thing coming for my Spiderman. Been so many years I forgot what. It was a protector or something. At one point Chas said he'd get on it.

LTG : )

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

This reminded me I have a thing coming for my Spiderman. Been so many years I forgot what. It was a protector or something. At one point Chas said he'd get on it.
    LTG : )

Chas was the best and he will be missed. Unfortunately, I think those days of customer service are over where you could call.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

I am currently waiting on a warranty covered part to be shipped from Stern. I am having difficulty nailing down a timeframe regarding the shipping of the part. It has already been a fair amount of time. I am actually considering ordering the part at a distributor (it is in their stock) and paying out of my own pocket because I am tired of being stuck in pinball limbo. What are your experiences with various manufacturers?

Unless you can’t get the part elsewhere, I say get it elsewhere.

The stern part will show up, but no telling when that will be. They will eventually respond to email if you follow up at least weekly and copy multiple people including your distro on the emails as well.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Chas was the best and he will be missed. Unfortunately, I think those days of customer service are over where you could call.

Phone service has been turned back on I believe.

#13 1 year ago

I got a replacement lockdown bar for my GZ because the texture was all off. I contacted my distro who then cc'd me on their contact email to Stern about it.

Needless to say, the part finally came, but it took like 2 months or so if I recall. And the communication with Stern about the status of everything left a lot to be desired.

#14 1 year ago

good luck, I waited over 2 years once from Stern on a warranty issue. JJP experience was worse, never got the part and ended up selling the game.

#15 1 year ago

Multimorphic has done well by me. I picked up a used P3 and they honored the 24 month warranty transferring the benefits to me. When I finally did have Lexi Lightspeed module break out of warranty, I put it in a 32x32x28cardboard box, padded it with pool noodles, shipped it via UPS for $60 and got it back a couple weeks later with a nominal charge for replacing a MOSFET and testing it out.

#16 1 year ago
    tommy-boy-guarantee.giftommy-boy-guarantee.gif
    #18 1 year ago

My first new pin was a Willy Wonka SE.It was a lemon but Steve and the JJP crew responded quickly to talk me thru issues and send all the parts I needed.In the end though I got a brand new Wonka thanks to Zach @ FlipnOut and it's been flawless.

#19 1 year ago

I have never needed Stern to send me a part, but I have emailed support three times since getting my first Stern NIB in August and they replied promptly and helped solved my issue each time. As for JJP, I contacted them twice needing replacement parts, and each time the parts were shipped within days. And one of those was a new sheet of Invisiglass due to just a minor blemish incurred during shipping. Great experience with both these companies.

#20 1 year ago

Emails every month for 10 months for stern to provide 1 part on a simple issue. Spooky provided constant help on constant issues weekly.

#21 1 year ago

For those of you who’ve had luck with Stern, could you pm me an email poc? I’m trying to get a replacement pf for a machine I purchased second hand.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

For those of you who’ve had luck with Stern, could you pm me an email poc? I’m trying to get a replacement pf for a machine I purchased second hand.

[email protected]

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mundy53:

Emails every month for 10 months for stern to provide 1 part on a simple issue. Spooky provided constant help on constant issues weekly.

Same. Add American with Spooky. Stern? Goooooooooooood luuuuck!!!!!!

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Phone service has been turned back on I believe.

Well that's well, emailing just feels lazy all around.

#25 1 year ago

I think it’s also based on the distributor used

Bought a used EHoH from CoinTaker

There were optic issues in the skill shot area that were shot

Also a Gargoyle broke off the stem

Melissa sent my info to Stern

I got the new optics and 2 new Gargoyles

Keep in mind it was a traded in machine

I was very impressed

#26 1 year ago

In my experience, Stern warranty support has been terrible. I've fixed my own pcbs before stern could provide replacements. From what I hear, Stern hoards parts for new machines instead of letting them out for replacement parts, so if you get a machine with a defective part, you're likely going to have to wait a long time even if they do have the part on hand.

JJP had OK support when I had a sound card issue. They made me jump through more hoops than I thought necessary, but I ended up getting the part in a reasonable amount of time.

#27 1 year ago

Every NIB pin I've bought has had in warranty issues, and every manufacturer has been GREAT to deal with...at first. And then they got worse. And then became non-responsive.
    I've had this problem with Stern (still waiting on that playfield promised almost two years ago).
    I've had this problem with JJP.
    I've had this problem with AP.
    Ironically, Spooky was the only one that gave A++ service the entire time.

#28 1 year ago

Squeaky wheel gets the grease…. Call/email every week. I do…Set an alert on your phone to follow up every week until solved.

#29 1 year ago

I am sure a lot of potential issues with warranty repairs depends on what the part is (e.g. new playfield vs broken plastic or known issue). I am the second owner on a Munsters and needed the Herman plastic replaced with the protector added (known issue). One email and picture of the serial number, Stern shipped the part immediately for free. That has been my only service call and it was resolved quickly.

#30 1 year ago

American Pinball has given me the best customer service.

#31 1 year ago

Had a problem with Oktoberfest. Had parts to fix it on my front porch in 48 hours.

#32 1 year ago

There's no warranty out there on a NIB pin that's worth the hassle of exercising it. I'm all done gambling on broken-in-box pins. I'll save some $$ buying a used machine and put that money towards repairs if/when needed.

Let someone else take a bath on the broken stuff. I'm done buying NIB machines.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I'll save some $$ buying a used machine

I understand where you are coming from and appreciate the feedback; however current used prices are not a great savings at the moment. Maybe there is that diamond in the rough out there but they seem far and few between. So far, it seems half of these posts report decent support and half report not such stellar service.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-warranty-experiences and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.