Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    Bride.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Hi all!

I mostly lurk here but I thought I'd make a post to let you know that I've just released a patch for Pinball Arcade that adds VR support. I call it Pinball VRcade.

Bride.jpgBride.jpg

Pinball VRcade supports Oculus Rift DK2 positional tracking so that you can actually walk around the cabinet, lean over to examine the back playfield, and look up to watch things on the DMD. It's almost like being at a real table.

The patch works by hooking the graphics calls made by Pinball Arcade and inserting extra operations to take control of the camera and enable stereo support. The patch doesn't contain any code from Pinball Arcade itself - it simply intercepts graphics calls and retranslates them to a stereo render, similar to products like vorpx, but specifically tuned for Pinball Arcade. I've released the source code into the public domain, so feel free to hack on it!

#2 9 years ago

Impressive!

#3 9 years ago

Amazing work!

#4 9 years ago

Awesome dude, I have been using the Rift since the DK1 and have been waiting for a developer to do this with Pinball Arcade. I have been playing it with Vorpx in the DK2 but it's not the same as I am not immersed and am just playing on a big screen. Consider me a beta tester for future releases!

#5 9 years ago

Tried it on my DK2 and put up my best score on AFM. This is remarkable!

#6 9 years ago

Wow .... Hey Farsight Please Support this Effort on the future!!!

#7 9 years ago

Hello...I'm desesperate because whatever I do (launching the launcher or dragging the PinballArcade.exe onto the launcher.exe), I always get the message "Locate PinballArcade.exe on your local system and drag it onto the launcher". I've done everything explained in the Pinball VRcade link. (I'm under Window 7 pro 64 bits, another user on reddit oculus with win 8.1 has got the same problem)

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinBalt:

Wow .... Hey Farsight Please Support this Effort on the future!!!

Farsight hasn't even added DirectX 11 support on PC to match the deferred renderer on the Xbone/PS4 yet or anything for the promised cabinet support, so I wouldn't hold my breath that this would make it onto their list of priorities any time soon.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

Farsight hasn't even added DirectX 11 support on PC to match the deferred renderer on the Xbone/PS4 yet or anything for the promised cabinet support, so I wouldn't hold my breath that this would make it onto their list of priorities any time soon.

With Gear VR coming out in Mid October for the Samsung Note 4, this would be an amazing showcase to play VR Pinball, wireless on the Note 4! Oculus needs a few more killer apps to launch with this kit, this could be one of them if FarSight got into the VR game now!

#10 9 years ago

Was thinking about building another full size virtualcab but seeing this makes me think I could go in another direction. Could just repro the front of a cab and it would give the illusion of playing the pin without taking up the space. Hmmm.

#11 9 years ago

Farsight needs to work out a deal with Stern where they release the digital version of the Pinball at the same time the real deal is being shipped. How cool would that be? Can you imagine playing ACDC, The Walking Dead or Tron in VR.

I would pay $20 per table to have that ability to play a new title at launch. Who's with me pinheads?

#12 9 years ago

I could fix the problem of the message (locate the PinballArcade.exe...), it was a path issue. The exe must be be at the exact place as if Steam was installed in C://, not E:// in my case. But maybe because Steam is still not really installed in C:// for me, the launcher.exe launches the game, but without stereo or head tracking at all. My other interrogation is that with all my attempts, I downloaded two versions of PinballVRarcade, and Avira detects a virus into the second one. I give up now.

#13 9 years ago

My mistake, I had forgotten to use the launcher as administrator. It works fast with no judder at all for me (GTX770). But the world scale is not enjoyable for me, the pinball looks huge, it's hard to discern the depth. Otherwise nice work, I will be looking forward to modifications of this great tool.

#14 9 years ago

Hey guys, need to combine this dudes controller with the OPs patch in VR and you are set!
    image.jpgimage.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22664067@N02/sets/72157633471958539/

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from paulohotline:

Hey guys, need to combine this dudes controller with the OPs patch in VR and you are set!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22664067@N02/sets/72157633471958539/

image.jpg 77 KB

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking about making. =)

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking about making. =)

I will back your kickstarter

#17 9 years ago

Hey guys, I'm really eager to try this, but I'm having a bit of an issue. I am getting this error message saying I am missing "msvcr100d.dll" I have tried all available steps I could find on the internet to correct this, but to no avail. I know nothing about the technical jargon, but apparently the final 'd' in the filename should not be there? Again, I know nothing this is just what I have read. Any help guys? I am on a Macbook running Windows 7 bootcamp 64 bit. Thanks!

#18 9 years ago

This worked for me on Windows 7 64bit

Download this msvcr100d.dll from here: http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/M/msvcr100d.dll/10.00.21003.1/download.html

Copy this file into your launcher directory and you are good to go.

#19 9 years ago

wow. just wow. so amazed who pinball can work in vr. just tried it out on my rather ancient rig (athlon x2 6000, amd 4890, 4 gig ram and win7 prof. 64bit) and it worked like a breeze anyway - there's one flaw there (which might probably have something to do with my outdated specs) but i've got no working dot-matrix display on the vr-table itself. of course - there's also the display on the upper left side of my view - but it's too far away for me (and my eyes) to spot anything there (and beside that i'd just love to see the actual vr-dot-matrix display working as it does on your youtube video).

do u have any suggestion on how i might solve this problem?

your instructions worked brilliant (setting up your hack, configuring the pinball arcade and starting it thru ur launcher), i didn't change any ingame options and the pinball arcade version i've tried out is 1.30.12 (the one with the present addams family ad for farsights kickstarter project).

hope there's any solution there...

thank u so much for that wonderful vr-experience (even with that one flaw!),
    many greetings from Austria/Europe,
    stefan

#20 9 years ago

FYI, the free table, Tales of the Arabian Nights, does not actually have a working DMD on the 3D pinball model. This is actually the way Far Sight released it. The other paid tables have working DMD's. Updates to this patch will hopefully included a zoom out/in feature to allow us to adjust and see the floating DMD

#21 9 years ago

ooooh! thought it was my rig that made the problem - seems it's a bug within pinball arcade (at least with the free steam version). downloaded the season 2 pack and now everything's there...still totally amazed how interesting pinballs can be in vr (although i'd wish for so much more res in the dk2 to give pinballs/art the visual quality they deserve).

oooooh. and now i saw your reply! yeah - that's what i realized by then too but as i've said - even without the working dmd on the free version it's crazy to slender around the table or to see the nice details in the decals etc. which only makes me even more excited about that zooming feature u mentioned! looking forward to *any* updates

#22 9 years ago

It looks as though my request has been granted! Can't wait to try this out

http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/8351-Oculus-Rift-VR-pinball

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Sartrefan:

It looks as though my request has been granted! Can't wait to try this out
    http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/8351-Oculus-Rift-VR-pinball

The patch works great once you get it going!

#24 9 years ago

I wanted to utilise this but for some reason no matter what I do the image will not converge and I have a lack of tracking.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

*edit*

I am retarded, I had forgotten to update the SDK + Rift firmware. Smart.

With it working its a very good look at what could be if Farsight would implement official support. Its very playable and enjoyable.

4 months later
    #25 9 years ago

Did this ever get DirectToRift support or do you still have to run in extended mode?

#26 9 years ago

How good is the 3D with this patch and OculusRift? I mean more precisely, would it beat a dedicated virtual pinball cabinet with better arcade mode installed? I am thinking about getting a virtual pinball in order to be able to play more tables and this seems like a nice way to do it.

#27 9 years ago

I'm downloading the PC demo from Steam and I've got a new video card on the way. I'll give it a try tomorrow night and let you know how it is. I agree this could be much better than putting a tv in a pinball cabinet.

3 weeks later
    #28 9 years ago

Sorry for bringing this thread from the dead but it's very relevant. I went to PAX East March 6-8th and the Oculus Rift was there. I did not use it as you had to wait 2 hours in line for a guided tour, 4 hours to use it un-guided. So as I'm walking past I see a guy with a Farsight Studios emplyee shirt on and he is on his smartphone. I thank him for his work and the recent Adams Family release and he is happy to meet a fan of course. Last year they went to PAX East and it was great. About a day or 2 after the convention it hits me: why was he there? He traveled from CA to MA for a business meeting is my only thought. I swear to God I didn't make this story up!

1 year later
    #29 7 years ago

any chance we can get this working on the vive?

2 months later
    #30 7 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

any chance we can get this working on the vive?

Wondering the same thing here. We just got our Vive and setup our living room for room scale.

1 week later
    #31 7 years ago

Looking for Vive support too

3 months later
    #32 7 years ago

Bumping again b/c now I have oculus and tired of waiting for the devs of TPA to actually do it themselves. Can we get this going for the consumer release? I'm sure others would want it as well.

#33 7 years ago

I messaged FarSight the other day on FB and they said that Oculus Rift VR support for TPA is still in the works. Hopefully it comes out soon.

#34 7 years ago

Farsight already has this working...

They are dry humping with Stern and Google with timed exclusive releases.

http://i.imgur.com/o5BjFSp.jpg

source: https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/10154204364334244/

So, when Stern is done pushing its finger in the VR pie and using it for some bizarre marketing bullshit, it will be released on the other platforms.

#35 7 years ago

it's really getting annoying on how much they are milking the release of this. Over a year now yet no product. I just hope we can get this project working to assist with the delay.

#36 7 years ago

Indeed.

As always, vote with your wallet. Stern and Farsight mooches can go to hell.

Steam winter sale came up, and their competitor is offering product that doesn't fuck around with their customers:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/538760

2 months later
    #37 7 years ago

apparently the devs of TPA notified someone that they are no longer doing VR support for their older tables. Can the OP revisit this and configure so it works for consumer release of oculus? Willing to pay even. thanks

1 month later
    #38 7 years ago

I'm dying for this to release for Oculus rift!!!?!

1 week later
    #39 7 years ago

So sorry to bump this again but we're still waiting for a proper vr release. To the developer of this bolt on I will pay you good money to make this work with consumer oculus. Pm me. Thanks

1 month later
    #40 6 years ago

Take my $$ release for rift please!!

6 months later
    #41 6 years ago

I've been following these instructions, but I can't get any of this to work with my Samsung Odyssey with Windows Mixed Reality.
    Does anyone know how to do this? I'm way more interested in Pinball Arcade than Zaccaria.

Thanks

#42 6 years ago

Unfortunately there seems to be no interest in doing tpa for consumer release rift. Super annoying that even farsight seems to have given up and just not telling anyone. It's out on the gear platform but it's garbage. I would have given 100s to get this going again.

2 weeks later
    2 months later
    #44 6 years ago

I wish it would be released for the PlayStation vr. No word on that front yet.

3 weeks later
    #45 6 years ago

Well here we are already in the first quarter of 2018 and still no sign of a VR release of Pinball Arcade. Does anyone know who we can ask about the development of this? Is this going to happen or not?

Does anyone know of a side app that will make it work in VR on the newest version of Pinball Arcade?

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mokthemagicman:

Well here we are already in the first quarter of 2018 and still no sign of a VR release of Pinball Arcade. Does anyone know who we can ask about the development of this? Is this going to happen or not?
    Does anyone know of a side app that will make it work in VR on the newest version of Pinball Arcade?

You can get Future pinball to work with Oculus but it was a PITA & the physics were poor.
    https://www.ravarcade.pl

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

You can get Future pinball to work with Oculus but it was a PITA & the physics were poor.
    https://www.ravarcade.pl

I agree with this. I've been waiting patiently too - no luck. I might end up selling my oculus soon anyway.

1 month later
    #48 5 years ago

I just bought an Oculus Rift on ebay, but it's not here yet. I bought it primarily for my racing sim, but figured virtual pinball would be fun. It looks like FX2 is an option, but is there anything else?

5 months later
    #49 5 years ago

Finally, it dropped a little buggy. But wow stern on oculus is amazing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-vrcade?hl=goldant and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.