(Topic ID: 250605)

Pinball Vocabulary 101 -- Common Pinball Terms and What They Mean.

By TractorDoc

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5J5A0125A (resized).jpg
    5J5A0216 (resized).JPG
    Match Unit With Bell Continuous Step Up (resized).png
    Score Reel Continuous Step Up (resized).png
    Mini Continuous Step Up 2 (resized).png
    Mini Continuous Step Up 1 (resized).png
    Step Up - Reset (resized).png
    Step Up - Step Down - Reset (resized).png
    Step Up - Step Down (resized).png
    Lamp socket parts without words bottom (resized).jpg
    Lamp and socket parts without words (resized).jpg
    relay_parts_close_up (resized).jpg
    5J5A0897 (resized).JPG
    5J5A0895 (resized).JPG
    5J5A0896 (resized).JPG
    5J5A0892 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

Years ago when I started down the rabbit hole of owning pinball machines about all I knew about them was how to push the start and flipper buttons. I'd like to think I've learned a few things since then. . . part of the challenge is learning new terms/vocabulary used in the hobby. I would remember reading numerous threads on Pinside but at times had to educate myself on what was being discussed. I thought it might be helpful to create a thread covering Pinball related terms and what they mean. For Example:

1. Re-Capping a Board.

The electronics age in our games and the Electrolytic Capacitors can dry out over time. This can alter the steady voltage needed to keep the pin running reliably. Replacing the old capacitors with new ones is good preventative maintenance on older games as I have done on this Bally Squawk and Talk Board:

5J5A0890 (resized).JPG5J5A0890 (resized).JPG

New, blue capacitors are soldered onto the board after the originals were removed. This board has been "Re-Capped."

2. Re-Pinning a Connector.

Wires are joined to circuit boards via connectors -- the white plastic as seen on this solenoid driver board:

5J5A0892 (resized).JPG5J5A0892 (resized).JPG

Inside those connectors each wire is crimped with a metal terminal "pin."

5J5A0895 (resized).JPG5J5A0895 (resized).JPG

Re-Pinning the connector involves snipping off the old pin and using a crimping tool to secure a new one to the wire. Both header (on the board) and connector pins wear as the connectors are removed/installed and the quality of the connection can degrade as they wear. Re-pinning eliminates many issues (restarts, non working solenoids/lamps/etc.) due to poor connections in the connectors.

5J5A0896 (resized).JPG5J5A0896 (resized).JPG

3. Cold Solder Joint.

When soldering two areas together, both must be hot enough for the solder to flow onto the surface and stick. Sometimes one surface may not be quite hot enough and the solder will break/crack causing problems. Removing/installing connectors on header pins can also flex the pins just enough to create stress and crack the solder joint. My picture is not the best, but perhaps you can see the small gap between the header pin and solder on the back of this lamp driver board:

5J5A0897 (resized).JPG5J5A0897 (resized).JPG

Whatever message the game is trying to send will not be received if the pin does not have a good connection to the board. Heating the area up, removing old solder, and reflowing with new solder will fix the situation.

So those are a couple Pinball Terms I thought might benefit new folks to the hobby. I am sure there are many more. . . feel free to add your ideas with a brief explanation!

#2 4 years ago

Good info but they're basic electrical and electronics phrases, not pinball specific.

#3 4 years ago

I thought this was going to be stuff like names for various pinball play. What's the one where you shoot up the inlane? Always forget that one, ha.

#4 4 years ago

What does “shopped” and “routed” mean?

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I thought this was going to be stuff like names for various pinball play. What's the one where you shoot up the inlane? Always forget that one, ha.

Alley pass?

For pinball phrases maybe start with the important ones like “HUO” means “I think it’s worth a lot of money and it’s not too crappy”

“HEP” means God Himself has touched the machine and you probably can’t afford it. (Sincerely he does unparalleled work)

Mylar = factory sticky plastic that protects the playfield but at this age is bubbling and should be left alone most the time

The body is the lower portion of a pin and the head is of course the top box that usually comes off. Just like a person, pins have anatomy.

GI (General Illumination) ((the lights that help you see the game)) is the most basic state of existence and should in no way instill hope in a machine. A game in the worst of states can still have GI and it does not in any way indicate “an easy fix”

The boards are the brains, the expensive part, located in the head. Naturally.

Planking: all wood will do this eventually. It essentially means it has outgassed completely and dried thoroughly.

Stern: a naughty word not to be spoken in a positive manner, least you start a fire.

JJP/Spooky/boutique: see above but not as forbidden

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

What does “shopped” and “routed” mean?

I really should separate these based on what it actually means and what most half-assed sellers think it means.

Routed: it was put out in public to be played, usually by an operator. This mean it was abused, played heavily and is probably full of shitty, quick hacks, because an operator doesn’t want ANY downtime.

Shopped: ideally a game has been waxed properly and all the rubbers replaced, balls replaced, sleeves replaced and it should now be in good working order. It does not, however, mean the game has been deep cleaned as one should do on a semi-annual basis. (Once every few years) where one removes all the components and strips the playfield down and cleans the piss out of it. The game should be 100% at this stage of cleaning.
    BUT SHOPPED =/= DEEP CLEAN.
    They are different.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Good info but they're basic electrical and electronics phrases, not pinball specific.

True. We can call it "Vocabulary used in the Pinball Hobby" -- or something to that effect. The idea is/was to familiarize people with pinball jargon they might not already know.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

Make it what you like, provided its pinball terms. Is Moonwalking what you are thinking of? I think that is when the ball rolls up the inlane then spins back to drain down the outlane.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

BUT SHOPPED =/= DEEP CLEAN.

Deep clean. That’s a new one.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Deep clean. That’s a new one.

Really? Maybe they call it something different but I’ve definitely seen people differentiate “shopped” versus a proper cleaning. Usually from the more experienced sellers. I’ve never heard shopped used as “best clean it’s ever seen” so there’s an implied next level cleaning after shopping

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Really? Maybe they call it something different but I’ve definitely seen people differentiate “shopped” versus a proper cleaning. Usually from the more experienced sellers. I’ve never heard shopped used as “best clean it’s ever seen” so there’s an implied next level cleaning after shopping

What you call deep clean, I call shopped.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Ah, looks like that's another name for it. I remembered what I was thinking though, "Shatz"... wonder where that comes from.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Ah, looks like that's another name for it. I remembered what I was thinking though, "Shatz"... wonder where that comes from.

I consider them two different things. Alley pass is to get a shot set up on the opposite flipper. Shatz is to have the sole intention of triggering the opposite inlane switch.

It comes from Neil Shatz.

#13 4 years ago

I've actually usually heard "Shatz" used when the ball goes all the way out the inlane: I thought it was more of an accidental shot or blown alley pass. But maybe that's not technically correct.

#14 4 years ago

HUO needs to stand for something else. Hope Ur Oblivious. That seems to be the more common connotation: I always see it used that way, ha.

#15 4 years ago

Is there a name for when you're lazily catching the ball just holding the flipper up, and it bounces up perfectly over the sling, past the inlane, and directly to the outlane?

I've mastered that one, seems like it should have a name, or maybe I should come up with one.

#16 4 years ago

It is a good idea to come up with a pinball vocabulary, or a glossary of pinball terms. The Internet Pinball Machine Database has a good list here:

https://www.ipdb.org/glossary.php

Also, it should be noted that the pinball manufacturers and community have come up with multiple names for the same part. An example is Jet Bumpers for Williams, Thumper Bumpers for Bally and Pop Bumper as a generic term for what most of us call Pop Bumpers these days.

Here are a few common pinball terms for you as posted on the 'A Pecos Puzzler - Diagnosing EM Pin Problems' thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-pecos-quiz-diagnosing-em-and-early-ss-pin-problems

Relay Parts:

relay_parts_close_up (resized).jpgrelay_parts_close_up (resized).jpg

#44/47 Lamp Parts:

Lamp and socket parts without words (resized).jpgLamp and socket parts without words (resized).jpg

Lamp socket parts without words bottom (resized).jpgLamp socket parts without words bottom (resized).jpg

A. Contact - AKA tip, tit, nipple (get your minds out the the gutter, guys!)
    B. Bayonet Pins - AKA nubs
    C. Glass Pinch - AKA stem
    D. Filament
    E. Bulb - AKA envelope
    F. Base - AKA cap
    G. Bracket
    H. Barrel - AKA socket
    I. Contact
    J. Spring
    K. Insulator
    L. Terminal
    M. Insulator
    N. Connector AKA tab, lug

One of my pet peeves is when people call these #44 and #47 lamps 'bulbs.' Bulbs are either something you screw into a kitchen lamp socket or the glass 'envelope' of the lamp!

The Four Stepper Unit Types:

• Step Up/Step Down Stepper from a Williams OXO
    • Two Solenoids
    • Bonus Unit

Step Up - Step Down (resized).pngStep Up - Step Down (resized).png

• Step Up/Step Down/Reset Stepper from a Williams Grand Prix
    • Two Solenoids and One Coil
    • Bonus Unit

Step Up - Step Down - Reset (resized).pngStep Up - Step Down - Reset (resized).png

• Step Up/Reset Stepper from a Williams OXO
    • Two Solenoids
    • Ball Count Unit

Step Up - Reset (resized).pngStep Up - Reset (resized).png

• Step Up Continuous
    • One Solenoid/Coil

Here are three very different Step Up Continuous Stepper Units:

Williams Mini-Match Stepper from a Liberty Bell. This stepper unit uses a coil and an armature instead of a solenoid and plunger.

Mini Continuous Step Up 1 (resized).pngMini Continuous Step Up 1 (resized).png

Mini Continuous Step Up 2 (resized).pngMini Continuous Step Up 2 (resized).png

Score Reel Unit from a Williams OXO

Score Reel Continuous Step Up (resized).pngScore Reel Continuous Step Up (resized).png

Match Unit With Bell from a Williams Expo

Match Unit With Bell Continuous Step Up (resized).pngMatch Unit With Bell Continuous Step Up (resized).png

#17 4 years ago

PARADE

- A parade is when multiball ends with most or all of the balls exiting the playfield by following each other out the same outlane or down the center in fairly close (and often eerily synchronized) succession.

Not sure if this is my own term, but I’ve always said it for as long as I can remember. I don’t recall reading it or hearing it anywhere.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

PARADE
    - A parade is when multiball ends with most or all of the balls exiting the playfield by following each other out the same outlane or down the center in fairly close (and often eerily synchronized) succession.
    Not sure if this is my own term, but I’ve always said it for as long as I can remember. I don’t recall reading it or hearing it anywhere.

I call that a simuldranious event.

#19 4 years ago

Imamaculate.

The best possible condition a game can be after pulling it out of someone's basement and listing it for sale. No legs needed, the machine preferably should rest on a large sheet of cardboard. Ideally should have 600 plays or less in the last decade or so.

Imamaculate.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

PARADE

Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I call that a simuldranious event.

That’s weird, I usually call that depression.

#21 4 years ago

Everybody out of the pool!

Here’s where all the answers lie.

https://funwithbonus.com/new-pinball-dictionary/

#22 4 years ago

Nice list! But a separate page for each word/expression? Really? More ad revenue, yeah, but sheesh!

#23 4 years ago

A couple more basics. Inlanes and Outlanes are usually located on the lower/lateral portion of the playfield. Outlanes lead to the ball draining while Inlanes guide the ball back to the flippers. There are two inlanes per flipper on this Cheetah.

5J5A0125A (resized).jpg5J5A0125A (resized).jpg

On some games like Fathom the inlanes and outlanes are inverted. When the ball is lost (or drains) it rolls down the Outhole.

5J5A0216 (resized).JPG5J5A0216 (resized).JPG

#24 4 years ago

Bail out shot = A safe place to shoot the ball if it is about to roll off the flipper or otherwise cannot be trapped and shot to the desired shot.
    Drop catch = Dropping the flipper a microsecond after it contacts the flipper so as to deaden the balls momentum to better make the next shot. Sometimes comes to a full trap.
    Live Catch = Flipping so that the flipper contacts the ball exactly at the flippers highest point bringing the ball to a complete stop (or close to it) on the flipper.
    Dead Pass(also call a Chill) = Not flipping and letting the ball bounce to the other flipper.
    Post Pass(also called a post transfer) = With the ball trapped, quick flipping so that the ball bounces off the bottom of the slingshot post and goes to the other flipper.
    Short plunge = Plunging softly to avoid contacting any switches/features and getting the ball to a trap on a flipper or under control to make a safe shot.
    Slap save = When the ball is coming almost straight down the middle. Flipping very hard to get the tip of the flipper to push the ball over to the other flipper tip, then quickly followed up with flipping the other flipper. An advanced version of this involves no second flip.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

A couple more basics. Inlanes and Outlanes are usually located on the lower/lateral portion of the playfield. Outlanes lead to the ball draining while Inlanes guide the ball back to the flippers.
    On some games like Fathom the inlanes and outlanes are inverted.
    [quoted image]

These are commonly called Reverse inlanes too. Since the inlanes and outlanes are reversed so it challenges your instincts.

With skillful nudging, or bumping of the machine, a ball down the outlane on games like Fathom can be bumped back into the inlane toward the flipper

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-vocabulary-101-common-pinball-terms-and-what-they-mean?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.